The baby

Silence before the Storm

Chapter two

The baby

Restlessly lying in bed, JaeJoong looked at the ceiling as he waited.

Months had passed since he had announced he wanted to take care of the child and today was finally the day he could meet the newborn. The woman had confirmed she didn’t want to have anything to do with the infant and turned over all the rights to JaeJoong.

JaeJoong’s heart slightly ached when she vanished from existence to him, not because he loved her, but because the thoughts of the child growing up without a mother lingered in his mind. He had never gotten any motherly love and had always felt that he was somehow different than other kids. Beside the personal feeling, he had also been bullied in school and people around him.

 “Hyung?” 

JaeJoong looked up to see ChangMin standing in the doorway.

“The baby...”

JaeJoong shot up from his bed and hastily put on his slippers. He hurried over to ChangMin and gave him a collected look trying not to look too excited. “Eghm, shall we?”

ChangMin rolled his eyes, there was no need to put up an act. All of them were excited, it’s not like someone dropped a baby at their house every day. “Of course.”

~*~

A Curious kind of yearning filled the silence as the five gangsters stood towered above a cradle, their eyes completely transfixed on the unmoving bundle lying in there. Their ears picked up the gentle breathing coming from the package and they wondered if they could take a look without startling or waking it up.

JaeJoong hesitantly tugged at the covers and jumped back when he saw the tiniest person he had ever seen, fearing what kind of noise it might make if awakened.

An odd fluffy feeling invaded his senses when he saw the baby’s small hands balled in fists and suddenly felt the need to pick it up and cuddle it to his chest.

Kim JaeJoong, Hero,  felt the urge to cuddle.

He thoughtfully bit his lower lip. Since when did he wanted to cuddle people let alone get warm and fluffy feelings? Insecurity crossed his mind when he considered other things the baby might make him want to do. Like...taking care of it.

Of course he had said he would raise the baby, but he had meant getting a nanny and make her do it while he provided them of necessities.

“Guys,” JunSu called in horror, “that thing is bewitching me...it makes me what to hug it...”

“Me too, “ ChangMin, who disliked talking about his emotions, agreed. “Should we try picking it up?”

“How do we do that?” YunHo inquired. He wasn’t sure what he was feeling, but whatever it was, he too wanted to touch it. “What is it anyway? A girl or a boy?”

The others shrugged while YooChun squealed, “I hope it’s a girl! You can dress them up and put pretty clips in their hair. Omooo, those cute frilly dresses and you can go shopping with them and buy tons of stuff! Oooh, and play with dolls and when they grow up they still don’t mind hugging you and-”

“Move, weirdo.” JunSu grabbed his arms and threw him aside, ignoring his rant. He was already used to it. Outsiders would’ve guessed he was gay, but the way he played girls was proof enough to conclude he didn’t swing that way. He was just...umm...not afraid to show his feminine side. Maybe that’s why he got so much female attention?

JaeJoong reached out a hand to take the baby’s in his own and caressed it with his thumb. It felt soft and warm and to his shock he wanted to kiss it...

Holding himself back, he shoved his hands under the bundle making an attempt to pick it up.

“Watch his head,” ChangMin warned, having read something about it.

“Well, how does it feel?” YunHo wondered seeing JaeJoong hug the baby close. “Is it heavy?”

“It feels...” He didn’t know what he was feeling, he was too unfamiliar with it. “...unusual?”

JunSu blinked curiously. “Unusual good or bad?”

“Strangely enough, good.”

“Lemme hold it!” JunSu eagerly jumped in front of JaeJoong and the other gathered around him too.

At that point an unpleasant smell traveled its way into their noses and they cringed in disgust as the baby started to whimper quietly.

“Ew!!! who farted?!” JunSu pinched his nose. “You’re making the baby cry!”

Everyone claimed innocence giving each other a suspicious look.

JaeJoong cringed even more as the smell came right from under his nose, “It’s the baby.”

JunSu gagged. “I heard babies smell nice, but this one stinks...”

JaeJoong held the baby away from him, “if its farts smell like this it ain’t sleeping in my room.”

YooChun turned pale and waved a hand in front of his nose. “Don’t tell me the baby went...”

“EWWWWWWWW!!!!” Each of them escaped to a corner of the room leaving JaeJoong standing alone in the middle with the baby.

“I’m not cleaning that up!” JunSu covered his nose.

“You guys agreed on helping me take care of it!” JaeJoong cried holding the baby away from him as far as his arms allowed him.

“Didn’t you say you’d get a nanny?!” YooChun questioned, frightened by the thoughts of having to clean the baby every single day...multiple times a day!

“Yes, but we can’t just let an outsider in our house.” JaeJoong explained. “We need to discuss a few things first so I didn’t hire one yet.”

YunHo slowly scooted toward the door. “ for you then but I don’t want any part in this. This stinks.”

“Literally.” ChangMin agreed.

“We did promise to help, that’s why we’ll go and get diapers, clothes and milk for the baby!”

JunSu laughed sheepishly as the four of then retreated toward the door.

“For now I suggest you clean it up and cloth diaper it before it gets rash.” ChangMin added.

“If any of you idiots leaves I’ll make sure you can never return!” JaeJoong threatened.

What the hell was all this? He was a feared gangster who made the streets unsafe and now he had to get all close and personal with a baby’s poop?! Needless to say, he was disgusted.

~*~

The five gangsters stood towered over the baby once again. A surgical mask covering their noses and blocking their sense of smell as they stared down at the baby’s diaper as if it was the most frightening thing they had ever viewed.

“Should we remove the diaper first?” YunHo questioned lifting one of the baby’s legs.

“I’m hereeee~~!” Sang a voice from the door leaving all five of them bewildered. “Oh my-!!!!”

She was apparently just as bewildered to see them. Five punks after a poor baby? It shouldn’t get any more outrageous!

“The baby!” She gasped before she grabbed the nearest object and pointed at them. “Step away from the baby and I won’t harm you with my...with my uh...what is this anyway? NO! Wait! I don’t care what it is! Move away!!!”

“Who the crap let this bozo in?” JaeJoong growled irritated. “We had an agreement, no girls –or whatever that thing is –when the baby-,”

“Don’t curse with the baby here!” She scolded. “And, hold on, you are the parent?”

“You have a problem with that?”

“Eh...” She dropped the object, it made a sound when it hit the ground. “No, of course not. I just expected to see...someone ready to be a father, not a...”

“Gangster?” JaeJoong huffed.

“Young man.” She corrected. “I do not judge people by their looks, mind you.”

 “Well you’re not exactly old either.” YooChun said thoughtfully, probably plotting a way to court her.

“Is that why you wanted to pulverize us with a plastic mallet?”

“Oh, so that’s what it is –I mean, someone had to save the baby!”

“Save it from whom?”

“She wanted to save it with a plastic mallet!!!” JunSu giggled, tears filling up his eyes.

JaeJoong rolled his eyes, “enough of this, who the hell are you? Or more likely, what brings you here?”

“No cursing mister!” She sternly worded and put down her bag. She took off her coat and neatly placed it on the couch before scanning the room. It was clean but they could do a lot better or rather...she could do a lot better. Her hands started to itch, she wanted to clean.

“I asked you a question.” JaeJoong’s blood started to boil.

She shook her head trying to control herself before she scared them with her cleaning skills and and showed off her outfit. “I’m the nanny, can you not tell?”

“Wait-what?” JunSu cocked a brow. “Who’s nanny?”

“The baby’s, silly,” she chuckled, “or do you need one too?”

After taking the silence in for a few moments she assumed they were trying to figure out who she was. She raised her brows expecting one of them to react any time soon.

“Um, your father sent me...?” She hinted.

JaeJoong’s face hardened. His father? What the heck? He never discussed this with him and JaeJoong was sure he made it clear when he said he didn’t want his help.

“Get out of my house.” JaeJoong ordered.

“Well! That’s not very nice.”

“Out. We don’t need you!”

“Yes, we do,” YunHo whispered, hoping JaeJoong didn’t hear but earned a glare from him anyway.

JaeJoong stormed over at her, grabbed her stuff and threw it in the hallway.

“Leave.” He pushed her toward the door.

“NO!” She struggled back. “He already paid me!”

“You can keep the money!”

“I’m not that kinda person! I need to do my job!!!”

“Then give the money back.”

“I already spent half of it!!!”

“JUST GO AWAY!”

“NO!!”

“NOW!”

“NEVER!”

“ANNOYING!”

“UNREASONABLE!”

OUT!”

“OKAY!” She jerked her arm away from him and fixed her clothes. “Okay, hold on. I will leave if you can prove you can take care of the baby.”

“What?”

“Clean it, shower it, feed it and put it to sleep effortlessly and I’ll leave. I bet you don’t even know its gender.”

“Psh...” JaeJoong laughed sheepishly. “Don’t know it’s gender...what kind of parent do you think I am? Of course I know!”

“Oh, really?” She feigned surprise. “What is it?”

“Ha...nice try! You don’t know either, you’re just trying to find out.”

The other four shook their head. JaeJoong always felt uncertain when he wasn’t prepared on something and would try to laugh it off in a very obvious way.

“Well?” She pushed.

“It’s a ...a girl!”

“Really?” She walked over to the baby and picked it up. “I thought it was the most beautiful baby boy I have ever seen.”

“It’s a boy...?” JunSu blinked.

“See,” she showed him the ankle band. “It’s blue.”

“It really is! We have a mini-member!” JunSu celebrated.

“So, mister Kim,” the woman said as she handed over the baby. “Let’s get started then.”

~*~

As JaeJoong struggled to change the baby, the other four were having a nice cup of tea with the nanny.

“So,” YooChun cleared his throat and put an arm around her, a charming smile displaying on his face. “What is your name?”  

She took his arm and twisted it, making him squirm.

“My name is Lee EunMi and I’d like it better if you would not touch me. Oh my, it’s such a beautiful wristwatch that you’re wearing. Let me see it up close.” She twisted his arm even more letting him know she wasn’t weak in any way and he should watch his actions.

YooChun rubbed his wrist when she released him. “Feisty, just my type..rawr.”

“I’m warning you mister,” EunMi half smiled to herself and poured ChangMin some more tea.

“What do you know about kids?” YunHo took a sip and put the cup down. This was getting a little out of hand. She had just arrived and they were already having tea? YunHo couldn’t even remember what tea tasted like. They were always too busy and drinking tea was not on their schedule. They would order take-out and grab a can of soda whenever they were hungry or thirsty.

“Well,” she put her cup down as well, “I am a nanny.”

“We figured,” JunSu said with a bored expression on his face.

EunMi took no offence to his disinterest and was about to continue when JaeJoong ran in the room to show off his work.

“Ha! Done!” JaeJoong grinned. “It was the most disgusting thing ever, but I did it!”

“Excellent.” EunMi complimented. “Though, the diaper should be the other way around, but you’re learning. From now on we can trust you to clean the baby.”

“Say what?”

The other four chuckled.

“You think cleaning it once is enough?”

“I have to do it every day?!”

“A few times a day, yes.”

“What?! A few times a day?!!”

“Or do you wish for me to stay?”

“...no! I will do it! Every single day!”

“As you please, Mr. Kim. Now we can move on to shopping for baby supplies.”

“There’s more?”

“Yes, baby supplies,” she repeated. “Very important.”

“How much does a baby need?” JaeJoong snorted. “All he does is sleep anyway.”

“Feeding essentials, clothes, diapers, a changing table, a bassinet, stuffed animals, creams, powders, lotions, washing clothes, should I go on?”

JunSu awed. “He needs all that just to sleep? Kickass!”

“No use of unfitted language in the baby’s presence, please!”

~*~

Looking at the baby stuff in the store, JaeJoong’s heart fluttered. He wanted to buy the whole store and play with the baby all day long. But at the same time that pleasant feeling made him feel uncomfortable. He realized he wasn’t ready to be a parent, he didn’t know anything. And he also realized he didn’t have any money he worked for. He still remembered he promised himself not to raise the baby with his filthy money.

“And, Mr. Kim, anything to your liking?” EunMi asked, her arms loaded with little baby clothes.

“Uh, I...I can’t pay for this...”

“What do you mean?” EunMi frowned. These guys had nothing, but money –and looks, but that would remain unmentioned.

“I, look it’s difficult, ok?”

“Umm, okay? But the baby needs all this stuff. Are you short on money?”

“No, it’s not about that. It’s...it’s...”

“Yes?”

“Allow me,” YunHo offered. He had slowly figured what had been bugging JaeJoong for months now and he also understood why he couldn’t buy these things. “I have a part time job to support the orpha- something special to me.”

“U-Know-,”

“I’m YunHo appa, I have every right to buy my kid stuff.”

EunMi smiled. Though or not, they all had a special bond as it seemed. “I suggest you go job hunting, Mr. Kim.”

“Yeah, well about that...” JaeJoong grabbed a toy and playing with it, “I...”

~*~

“OI! Kwan hyung! Isn’t that Hero in the store for baby stuff?” One of the gangsters said.

“Shut up, idiot,” Kwan spat as he turned to look. “Why would Hero be at such a place –IT’S HERO!”

“Told you.”

“And I said shut up,” Kwan slapped him across the head. “Now what would Hero be doing there?”

“Let’s go spy on him.” The gangster grinned.

“Do you need a beating, idiot?” He gestured to hit again. “I have a better plan, let’s spy on him.”

The gangster was about to let out an evil laugh but looked dumbfounded instead. “But I just said that?”

“No, you didn’t. Get moving.”

~*~

“You never graduated from high school?!” EunMi shouted, making some heads turn. “How did that happen?”

“Well, as you can see,” he gestured at himself and made a ‘you-know’ face, “I am a gangster.”

“So? What does that have to do with anything?”

“I was beating up people when I was supposed to be studying?”

“Oh, that’s, I don’t know what to think of it actually.”

“Exactly.”

“How about you enroll in high school again?”

“Maybe you failed to notice, but I’m twenty-one.”

“I’m in second year of high school, I can help you study!” Her eyes widened as soon as she realized what she had just done.

“You’re still in high school?!” JunSu who was on his way to show them the toy he had found barged in. “How’re you a nanny then?!”

“No! You misheard!” She insisted.

“We heard it too.” YunHo pointed at himself and JaeJoong.

“...hehe, it’s a really funny story!”

“We’d like to hear it.” JaeJoong gave her an indifferent look.

Her confident and collected look suddenly vanished, before she confessed, “I lied to your dad.”

“Lied about what?” YunHo raised an eye-brow.

“About my age and studies and work experience,” she laughed sheepishly. “I’m a high school student and never held a baby before in my life. I really needed the money and your dad offered a lot so...you can guess the rest.”

JaeJoong grinned. If it was correct what this posh fool was telling him then it meant his dad had failed to hire a suited nanny. For someone with so many connections he could only find a high schooler with zero experience? Oh, he couldn’t wait to rub it in his face. “Let’s go see my dad. U-Know take care of the rest.”  

“What?! No, please! I won’t only lose this job but also get kicked out of high school! Please!!!” She pleaded but JaeJoong pulled her out of the store.

“Hero!” Kwan cried catching his and EunMin’s attention. “You never told me you wanted to get settled and have a kid. I assume she’s the lucky girl?” He grinned.

JaeJoong cursed inwardly, EunMin was no longer safe.

[A/N: Thanks for reading, sorry for the delay. As you may have noticed I slightly changed the discription.]