My best friend

Dirty Little Secret

‘I like Seung Ri’

No, no … scribble that out.
 
‘I adore Seung Ri’

Uh … sounds weird, scribble that too.

‘I love Seung Ri’

hmm … better.

Everyone in English class were off in their own little worlds. Some dozing off into a slumber whilst others were just scribbling nonses down and a very select few were actually paying attention the teachers words and taking notes down.

I was one of those who were scribbling down nonses. I actually never pay attention in English class. My mind is always off in another world.

An alternate universe where my best friend loved me back.

I'm just your average teenage girl, who attends your average highschool who lives an average life.  I have average friends who do average things. But I had one thing in my life that I found wasn't so average. My best friend.

SeungRi.

I found he wasn't so average like myself. Ever since the day we met, I knew he wasn't like everyone else. He saw things differently. He was always happy. It was as if nothing ever made him mad. He always saw something in anything and always saw a postive in anything that was negative.

I always knew there was something special about him and I found myself falling for him over the years. I never wanted to. I only ever wanted to be best friends with him, stay by his side like how he stood by mine over the years.

I found it was better to keep it to myself, never revealing my true feelings for him to him. I have thought of telling him, playing so many different scenarios in my head of what the outcome could be, but even in my own mind, the outcome was never good. So I decided it was better this way for I could never bare the thought of loosing the one person who made my life just that much better.

~RING~

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard the school bell ring and saw everyone packing their things up.

“Alright class, remember to read pages 67 to 90 for homework” The teacher spoke amogst the students who were already half way out the door.

I closed my notebook and shoved it into my bag.

“OoOo HaNa!” I heard someone sing my name.
 
I looked to my right and saw my friend SooYun coming towards me.

We don't sit next to each other in class because our teacher thought we talked too much during class (which could be true) and decided to split us up, making us sit at very opposite ends of the room.

“Yeah,” I replied as I stood up and tucked my chair in.

“I saw you daydreaming and scribbling down things in your book again” She said with a smile.

“No I wasn’t” I denied and started to walk out of the classroom.

“Yes you were. I saw you HaNa. I’m not blind. You were thinking about JiYong weren’t you?” She said with a grin on her face as she nudged me.

She and my other fellow compadre EunJung believes I like JiYong because of one indcident where I saw JiYong wearing a suit and I comment on how cute he look.

I wont lie, he did look cute, but I dont like him. I don't have feelings like that for him.

“Yes, I was thinking about JiYong” I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes at her.

-
-

“I’ll trade you my cookie for your apple” I said taking my cookie out of my bag.

"Just one cookie?” Seung Ri questioned as he raised an eyebrow at me.

“Yeah, why not” I said, shrugging my shoulders at him.

“You wish” He said and took a bite out of his apple.

My mouth just hung open.

“You’re supposed to look out for me! Not let me starve!” I exclaimed.

He just gave me one of his cute grins as he took another bite at his apple.

SeungRi and I promised we would have lunch with each other at least every 2nd day so he could spend the other days with the boys and I'd hang with my girls. He is sweet of him to make time for me. This is all SeungRi's idea, everything is his idea. Because I honestly believe I dont deserve to have SeungRi as a friend and here I am, ruining what we have by falling for him.

"Now, I'm going to go hungry! Just perish away into nothing! Slowly shrink in size till I become skin and bo-"

“Fine, I’ll take you out to lunch after school. How does that sound?” He said.

“Perfect”  I quickly said with biggest smile on my face.

“Hello there you lovebirds”

We both looked up and saw JiYong and Seung Hyun coming towards us.

“Guys, we’re not lovebirds” Seung Ri said.

And there goes my heart again, shattering into a thousand little pieces like always everytime I hear SeungRi shoot down comments like that, making me realise more that there is absolutely no hope for us.

“If you say so” Seung Hyun said as he sat next to Seung Ri while JiYong took a seat next to me.

“Oh! A cookie!” JiYong said as he took my cookie and ate it.

“AH! JIYONG!” I yelled and punched his arm.

Seung Ri just laughed and I glared at JiYong as he stared at me like he did nothing wrong.

"He just ate my lunch!"

"That was lunch?! I thought it was a snack!"

-
-

“I’ll take you to my favourite bakery” Seung Ri said as we were walking towards the bakery.

I didn't even know SeungRi had a favourite bakery. Just because you've known a person your whole life doesn't mean there isn't something new you'll learn about them.

“Ohhhh, I can smell it from here!” I said as I sniffed the air.

The air smelt of freshly baked bread.

“Trust me; you’ll love the food here. A family friend of my mine owns it” He said.

“Here it is!” He cheered.

“Bread Top!” He said, reading the sign.

“Ohhhh! Look at all the food!” I said starring at all the pastries and bread at the window.

Seung Ri just chuckled “Come, there is more inside” he said as he grabbed my hand and dragged me inside.

As we entered the bakery my jaw just dropped.

“Ah!! FOOD!” I said and quickly ran over to grab a tray and a pair of tongs.

“Better get your wallet out Seung Ri” I said as I started to make my way to the pastries and started to pile them onto my tray.

“Calm down HaNa!” He said as he followed me.

“Well I haven’t eaten anything all day thanks to JiYong!” I said, still selecting what I wanted.

“Then he should be the one buying all this” He said.

“Okay, I think this is enough” I said, looking down at my tray.

His eyes went wide as he saw the amount of bread and pastries that were on my tray.

“You must be extremely hungry!” He said as we made our way to the cash register.

“Yeah, but of course you’re going to help me eat them” I said, placing the tray on the counter.

“Ohh, so your sharing with me, I thought it was all for you” He said with a chuckle.

“Yah! You think I’m a pig?!” I said.

He nodded and I punched him on the arm.

He just laughed and placed his arm around my shoulders.

“Its alright my piggy” He said as he messed up my hair with his other hand.

“Oh my gosh! Seung Ri?”

We both looked up at the girl behind the counter.

She was really pretty. She had shoulder length auburn hair with straight bangs that framed her face well and had big bright brown eyes. She looked like those porceline dolls.

“HyeMi?” Seung Ri said.

I looked back at SeungRi with eyes wide open. He knows her?

I did not know SeungRi had any other female friends. Either that or he is hiding a secret life from me!

“Yeah!” She said with a smile on her face.

“Wow! It’s been ages! I thought you moved to Japan?” He said

“I did, but I just came back about a week ago” She answered.

“Ohhh” He replied.

“Oh! HyeMi, this is HaNa” He said.

I smiled and waved politely and she did the same.

“Girlfriend?” She asked.

“Oh, no, no!” He quickly said.

He was very quick to respond to that.

“Best friend” He said as he messed up my hair once again.

“Ohhh” She said as she had a look on her face that said ‘Thank goodness!’

Yeah, that’s all I am. A best friend, nothing more. See, this is another reason why I wish I never felt this way about Seung Ri. It kills me so much inside when I hear him say that. It makes me realise that he really doesn’t feel anything more than friendship.

-
-

“So, who was she?” I asked, eating my cheese and ham croissant.

“Who? HyeMi?” He said as he was eating a choc chip muffin.

“Yeah” I replied.

“Oh, my family friend, the one who owns that bakery” He said.

We were at the park near my house and we were sitting on the grass eating everything we bought … well he bought to be more exact.

“We’ve known each other since we were kids. She then went to live with her cousin in Japan and now … she’s back” He said.

“Ohhh” I simply said and nodded.

“OoOoOo … why? Jealous?” He said with a smirk on his face.

“HAH! You wish!” I said giving him a shove.

Of course I am! I'm not going to deny it. I get jealous of every girl out there that is close or is just friends with SeungRi because they all have a more likely chance of being with him in a relationship, unlike me, because I'll be the girl SeungRi turns to when he wants help in trying to hook up with any of these girls, because thats whats a bestfriends job is.

“OoOoOo … someone likes me” He sung as he started to poke my arm. I could feel my face REALLY burning up. It feels like a freaking heater!

He started to laugh as he messed my hair up again. Really, he has a habit of doing that.

“I’m joking woman!” He said as I fixed my hair.

“Exactly” I said letting out a laugh, lucky he couldn’t tell it was a forced laugh.

“What girl would like you anyway” I said with a smirk as I repaid the favor and messed his hair up too.

“There are plenty of girls out there who likes this cute face” He said as he started to poke his cheeks which made me laugh.

“What cute face?” I smirked “Those girls are probably crazy to like someone like you” I chuckled as I received a shove from him.

“Yah! My piggy is so mean to me!” He pouted and I stuck my tongue out at him.

Its not true. I am a crazy girl, a crazy girl who loves her bestfriend way too much.