・・

Coffee & Cigarettes

 

Gong Minji questioned herself for the umpteenth time to why she decided to attend college today. She rolled her eyes simply at all the eyes on her; they were looking at her as if she was some kind of an alien. All talks were about her, some filled with blasphemy, some filled with curiosity. Though she paid no heed and decided to head straight for her first class. She pulled out her notebook to check her schedule out. Dance class. Taemin, her ex boyfriend, shared the same class as her, unfortunately. Off all days, she just had to come back to college today. She inwardly cursed at her own self.

 

She pushed the door to the campus’ dance studio and peeked in. Seeing it was still early, the room was deserted. A tiny smile crept on her lips as she entered. She had always loved having the studio all to herself, where she could dance and let her emotions surge through her moves. She threw her bag pack to the floor and stood in the middle of the studio. She heaved a deep breath and started warming up. It’s been a while since she last danced, it was a good feeling. Just then, she heard the door creak open. She turned and froze when she saw who it was.

 

Lee Taemin. Though he didn’t notice her, he had his head bowed down when he walked in, nonchalantly throwing his bag to the floor and stretched both of his arms. He then looked up, finally acknowledging her presence. Minji bit her lower lip and turned away, trying to continue warming up and decided to pretend he wasn’t there. And she questioned herself once more, why did she have to come to college today. She sighed; everything wasn’t going the way she wanted.

 

“Minji?” He called out. “You finally come to college.”

 

Minji closed her eyes and continued with what she was doing, not bothered to answer his question. Taemin shrugged and decided to warm up as well, standing not far from where she was. Minji’s muscles stiffen, feeling his presence so close to her.

 

‘Who am I kidding, I can’t do this.’ Minji muttered under her breath. She stopped and marched to her bag, picking it up and hoisting it over her shoulder; ready to leave.

 

“Where are you going?” He asked, confused to why she was suddenly leaving.

 

“Stop acting like you care, Lee Taemin.” Minji answered, her tone solemn and cold.

 

“Stop acting childish, Gong Minji.” Taemin made a snarky remark.

 

“Can’t we just… act like we don’t know each other? It’s better that way.” Her voice was now timid, slightly trembling as she fought the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

Taemin sensed it; he sensed how her voice changed. He knew Minji well. He was one of the ones who could see through her façade. He knew how she was trying to act like she was okay when in fact she wasn’t. He knew her too well after all the years they spent together. But it bothered him that he knew her too well, that there was no longer a ‘thrill’ in their relationship. Yes, Lee Taemin was the childish one who decided to listen to his friends when they told him to open up to more girls, you live just once, you’re only young once, afterall.

 

Taemin opened his mouth, he wanted to say something, he didn’t want her to leave, but nothing came out. He was at loss of words. He didn’t even know what to say. Minji hitched her bag and headed straight towards the door, she exited the studio, not bothering looking back at him.

 

- - -

 

“I think you should just help him out.” Choi Jonghun chuckled, gesturing his hand towards his younger brother.

 

“Please, Chaerin noona!” Choi Minhwan whined, clasping his palms together and bowed his head at the older girl sitting in front of him. They were at the cafeteria as it was their break. Chaerin shook her head, nonchalantly picking up the sandwich from her tray and took a bite.

 

“Please please please.” Minhwan continued begging and whining, stomping his feet in the process to a point where Chaerin started to get annoyed. She slammed her sandwich back on its plate and crossed her arms.

 

“Fine!” She glared at Jonghun. “I’m going to kill you if Dara unnie gets mad at me for this.”

 

“Yay!” Minhwan chirped gleefully.

 

“Hey guys. Mind if I join?” A voice interrupted. They looked up and were surprised to see Minji.

 

“Minji?! I didn’t know you came!” Chaerin shrieked. “Come, sit here with us!” She grinned, obviously happy to see her best friend in front of her, and that she had finally decided to attend college again. Minji smiled meekly at her friends as she pulled out the vacant chair beside Minhwan, plopping down on the seat.

 

“See, I told you she wouldn’t last a month locking herself up! And you were telling me about how stubborn she was. Give me my money, hyung.” Minhwan grinned, holding his hand out to Jonghun. Jonghun rolled his eyes, pulling out a couple of notes and gave it to the younger one.

 

“Oh my god, you two bet on me?!” Minji snapped, making Minhwan flinch in his seat. She immediately snatched the money from his hands. “I’m taking this, thank you very much.” She grinned, sticking her tongue out at him as she shoved the notes into her pocket.

 

“B-but, that’s mine!” He whined.

 

“You deserve it Minhwan.” Chaerin chuckled. “Besides, she’s going to help you too.” She added.

 

“Help?” Minji asked, clueless.

 

“Minhwan wants to go out on a date with Dara. But in order to do that, we’re planning on a group date where Jonghun and I go out and we sort of set them up, but without Dara unnie knowing.” She shrugged, unsure of the plan. Minji cocked an eyebrow.

 

“I thought unnie wasn’t interested in Minhwan.” Minji turned and narrowed her eyes at Minhwan. “And I thought she wanted you stop courting her.” Minhwan fidgeted in his seat, avoiding eye contacts with her.

 

“Hey, you can’t stop a boy in love.” Jonghun joked. “You should come along, Minji. It’d be fun. Hongki and Bom might come too. At least you could get your mind off… you know.”

 

“No thanks. I don’t want to be the… 7th wheel.” Minji chuckled at her own lame joke, though her mirth appeared bitter.

 

“Maybe we should set her up with someone too!” Minhwan exclaimed.

 

“Yah! No!” Minji quickly disagreed, lightly smacking the guy’s arm.

 

“I agree with Minhwan.” Chaerin interjected. “We should set you up with someone. I don’t want to see you moping around anymore. You should go out, have fun and meet somebody new.” She smiled, clasping her hands together. “Oppa, do you know anyone?” She turned to Jonghun.

 

“Too bad Jaejin hyung has a girlfriend.” Minhwan sighed.

 

“Why does it have to be someone from your band? It’s bad enough that all of my best friends are dating someone from your band, and Dara unnie might join their club soon. It’s not like you guys are the only good looking guys around.” Minji playfully rolled her eyes.

 

“So does this mean you agree?” Chaerin beamed.

 

“But I didn’t say—”

 

“Ah!” Minhwan snapped his finger, his eyes gleaming. All eyes were now on him, wondering what he was thinking. Though they didn’t expect much since Minhwan was the one who always thought of crazy and illogical ideas. “Hyung, I think we should set her up with Seunghyun!” He announced. Minji widened her eyes at his sudden idea.

 

“Seunghyun? Are you sure?”

 

“Who’s Seunghyun?”

 

Minji fell silent for a while, letting the three friends of hers converse about a certain Song Seunghyun. Their voice drowned into muffles as she fell deep in her thoughts. The scene of the night before replayed in her mind. She was still curious, she was still wondering why the guy acted strange that night. The guy was mysterious, and she wanted to know more about him.

 


Why did I pair Minhwan with Dara? Because Minhwan is a big fanboy of Dara. He even confessed on this one show, and read out loud a love letter to Dara, heh <3 Minzy21, Dara will appear soon, don't worry. :3

Thank you for subscribing and commenting. I am forever grateful. <3