・・

Coffee & Cigarettes

 

Gong Minji had decided to pack her things up and head to the café; half of her hoping Hongki was there so she could ask him about Seunghyun. She had tried reaching the latter for what seemed like a thousand times but to no avail. Bad thoughts of unconfirmed possibilities permeated her mind as she walked to the café. She admitted she was worried; very worried. She stopped in front of the café, heaved a deep breath before pushing the door open. She peeked in, scanning around the room but found none of her friends in there. She raised an eyebrow as she entered; probably at the kitchen, she thought as she proceeded to the galley.

 

“I have to go, Bommie.” Minji stopped in her tracks once she heard a familiar voice; a voice that belonged to Lee Hongki.

 

“You have to go already? But you just got here.” Bom’s voice echoed in reply.

 

“I have to go to the hospital again today.” The man said, a trace of dejection heard within his voice. “I’m sorry but I’ll come pick you up when your shift is over, alright?” Minji’s stomach dropped when she heard the word hospital. She gulped, wondering if Seunghyun was the one Hongki had to visit at the hospital.

 

“Ah, Seunghyun’s still not well, huh?”

 

“Yes. I can’t say his condition got any better. I’ll have to go now. See you tonight.”

 

Minji gasped and cupped , taking a few steps back from the door connected to the kitchenette. Park Bom knew, she knew about Seunghyun. Of course Hongki wouldn’t keep a secret from her; she was family. Seunghyun was at the hospital but they didn’t tell her. That’s right, she didn’t deserve to know, and she was just a nobody to Song Seunghyun. It’s not like they share any kind of special relationship.  She felt herself choking on her own sobs. Song Seunghyun was in the hospital and she had to see if he was alright. She had to.

 

“M-minji?” Hongki snapped her out of her reverie. “What are you doing here? Why are you crying?” He asked, getting worried. Minji shook her head, spun her heels and sprinted out of the café. “Minji!” Hongki called out, confused.

 

- - -

 

She spun around the capacious hospital hall, at this point her cheeks were stained with drooped mascara, and her hair messed up by the wind as a result from running all the way to the hospital. The sick smell of medicines and rubber—all kinds of smells were floating in the air and she despised it. She didn’t, and never liked the smell of the hospital. It was filled with the smell of sorrow, the smell of hopelessness and the smell of death. She quickly dashed towards the counter, pressing the bell multiple times to catch the attention of the nurses on duty who were busy chatting amongst each other.

 

“Yes, miss. May I help you?” One of the nurses who had an obnoxious look on her face approached her; clearly annoyed of the sudden irritating interruption. Her pencil-lined eyebrows rose as she eyed her.

 

“May I know which room Song Seunghyun is in?” Minji asked, as politely as she could; fighting the urge to slap the woman in front of her. This woman who was silently judging her; her current hideous look—oh she could see through this bimbo.

 

“Song Seunghyun. Hm, let me check.” The nurse said, facing the computer beside her, typing and clicking on the mouse as she searched for a record.

 

“Hurry.” Minji urged, growing impatient.

 

“Ah, yes. But he only accepts visits from family members. Are you family?” She asked, turning to face Minji again.

 

“N-no…” Minji’s heart sunk.

 

“Then I’m sorry, I cannot disclose this information to you.” She said, her lips twitching into a smirk.

 

“But I’m a good friend of his; you have to let me know!” Minji argued.

 

“Oh, really? Or are you just a pathetic ex girlfriend who’s trying to bother him to take you back?” She made a snarky remark, bringing her forefinger up and pointed it at her face. “Your messed up mascara tells everything, lady.”

 

“What the hell do you mean?! What kind of a nurse are you?!” Minji burst out, obviously pissed as she slammed her hands on the counter table.

 

“Miss, please don’t cause troubles and leave or I will call the security.” The nurse warned.

 

“What the fu—” Minji raised her hand, ready to slap the living out of the woman.

 

“Minji?” Her hand froze in mid-air. She turned around.

 

“Hongki-oppa?”

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows as he looked at the nurse and back to her. Minji immediately pulled her hand back, glaring at the nurse before turning back to Hongki, stepping closer to him.

 

“I need to see Seunghyun.” She said, standing face to face with the older one.

 

“Seunghyun? How… did you know? Wait… you heard my conversation with Bom, didn’t you?”

 

“I did but I know about him, oppa… I know he’s sick. He told me and I need to see him.” Minji pleaded.

 

“He told you? He doesn’t usually tell people about his sickness.”

 

“Oppa, can you save the questions for later? Please, take me to him.”

 

Hongki sighed and nodded. ‘Let’s go’ He mouthed, gesturing for her to follow him as he started walking towards the elevator. She pursed her lips and tailed behind him. Though, before reaching the elevator, she glanced at the nurse who was caught staring at her at the moment. She stuck her tongue out, making sure to let the bimbo know that the victory was hers. The nurse’s face contorted in annoyance, but Minji just laughed softly as she entered the elevator alongside Hongki.

 

“What are you laughing about?” He asked. Minji shook her head; shrugging it off saying it was nothing. “Are you laughing at how hideous you look right now?” He teased. Minji gasped, bowing her head down in embarrassment as her hands fumbled through her bag, desperately looking for a tissue.

 

Ding!

 

, went the elevator. Within seconds, they had reached the tenth floor. Hongki stepped out and walked along the long corridor with Minji. They were silent for the whole time. Minji fiddled with her fingers as she followed him, wondering why the atmosphere was suddenly so tense though she dared not speak a word. Soon, they came to a halt in front of a door with a plate stuck to it that said, ‘Song Seunghyun’.

 

“Maybe… you should go in first.” Hongki said, breaking the silence.

 

“Aren’t you coming in?”

 

“I will… but I figured you two could have some time… alone.” He said and winked at her, attempting to pull a playful smile but it just came out awkward. Hongki was after all, not good at lying and pretending. He sighed and gave her a light pat on her shoulder. “I’ll go and get us all coffee from the vending machine.” And with that, he walked off.

 

She then turned to face the door. She stared at the name plate for a while, her heart rate suddenly accelerating as time passed. She inhaled and exhaled long breaths for a couple of seconds, her palms slowly getting sweaty from pure nervousness. You can do it, Gong Minji. You can face him again; it’s just been almost two weeks of not seeing each other, that’s all. She tried to comfort her own self. The door then creaked open with her making tiny steps into the ward hesitantly.

 

“Ah, hyung. You’re finally here.” That voice. That voice that made her heart skips a beat; no matter how cheesy it sounded. That voice that brought the butterflies in her stomach to life; that voice of Song Seunghyun.

 

“You’re late.” He continued. Minji proceeded further into the room and saw Song Seunghyun, sitting on a wheelchair, facing the window. He was staring ahead; at the darkening city with splashes of crimson spreading across the sky. “I thought you forgot about me.” Minji stopped, a few inches behind him. She stared at him, her gaze averting to his wheelchair.

 

‘Song Seunghyun, what happened to you?’

 

“Hyung, did you bring me anything?”

 

“Seunghyun…” Minji choked out, trying hard not to cry again.

 

Silence enveloped the room for a brief moment.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked, still facing the sky; his voice cold and dry.

 

“I was worried.”

 

“Go.”

 

“…no.”

 

“Go. Just go.” Minji shook her head, feeling hot tears pooling in her eyes once again. She blinked, letting a few tears escape, rolling down her cheeks. Seunghyun turned the wheels around to face her. “Go… Minji… Please…” Minji gazed at him.

 

He looked different. She wondered how two weeks could change so much. In just fourteen days, Song Seunghyun turned into this man; this man that seemed so helpless. He got skinnier, his cheekbones almost obvious, his pale face—everything was different. And being the attentive one who tend to see the things that people over look; she noticed his voice was slightly different. His voice was trembling as if he was struggling to speak normally.

 

“Are you done sympathizing me with those eyes, Gong Minji?” Seunghyun uttered bitterly.

 

Minji was at loss for words. She didn’t know what to say, she didn’t know how to react even.

 

“I don’t want you to see me like this…” He spoke again, barely above whisper.

 

Minji couldn’t take it anymore. She couldn’t bear seeing him like this; this once strong man, breaking apart right in front of her. She dashed towards him and bent forward, spreading her arms out and enveloped the man in her embrace. Their eyes closed, imbibing each other’s warmth.

 

And he cried. He cried for the first time. He cried with all his might on her shoulder. Though, she didn’t care because she managed to break through his wall and for the first time Song Seunghyun let his guard down.