Chapter 7 - Strong

Happy Memories

Author’s Note: It’s been 2 weeks, I’m sorry! I hate it when I have ideas for new fics but when it comes to current ones, I just turn blank. :) I hope this is okay! Apologies for any mistakes or shortcomings. <3

Chapter 7 – Strong

In his side pocket, the phone was vibrating endlessly. With his blood-stained hands, he pulled it out, checked through all the messages sent by acquaintances, close friends and family members. Every single message carried jubilant wishes for being a year older. How ironic it was, he should be happy but he felt the total opposite.

He should inform them about this, they had to know.

Seungri got into a car accident, he’s in surgery now at Chung Ang University Hospital. Celebration tonight is cancelled. Please keep him in your prayers guys.’

Mass text message sent to those who had to know.  

The accident was akin to a violent earthquake, shaking through Jiyong’s core causing massive destruction and damage not only to Jiyong but to Seungri as well. The aftershocks were then felt by those close to them as they received the text message regarding the dreadful event.

--

In about an hour, Taeyang was running towards the waiting room in the A & E department. That’s where he found Jiyong, sitting on the floor with his knees pressed to his chest. His cheeks were shining against the glaring lights of the hospital, those shiny streaks which signified dried tears. His face was drained of colour, but his nose was red and his eyes were puffy due to crying. He probably did not notice Taeyang’s arrival for his eyes were still shut as Taeyang approached him.

Taeyang’s heart sank as he looked upon his bestfriend in that state. For such tragedy to befall his closest friend on his birthday, it was truly heartbreaking. His heart was with the both of them; they should be out there, having the time of their lives as they relish in the joy of being one. It was so unfortunate for such misfortune to occur to the newly-wed couple.

Taking a seat beside Jiyong, Taeyang placed his hand on Jiyong’s knee cap; making his presence known. The contact made Jiyong’s eyes flutter open. When he realized who was beside him, new tears began to rim his puffy red eyes. This made Taeyang’s heart sink even further, his resolve to remain calm and collected was starting to erode.

He opened his arms wide, inviting Jiyong for an embrace; an invitation that Jiyong could not refuse. Jiyong wrapped his scrawny arms around Taeyang’s buff figure and placed his head on Taeyang’s shoulder. Jiyong cried on his shoulder and Taeyang could feel the damp area on his shirt made by Jiyong’s tears.

“Bae,” Jiyong sobbed as his bestfriend hugged him tightly, “M-Ma-Maknae is in pain now,” he stammered, feeling a different type of pain stabbing his heart. He wished he could switch places with his lover now or at least lighten his suffering. He would rather be on that operating table, taking all the physical pain that came with the accident. But that was out of his control, and Jiyong was not comfortable with that, not being in control of this horrible situation. If he had his way, they would be in the midst of preparing for Jiyong’s birthday celebration but that was the last thing on Jiyong’s mind now. All he needed was Seungri to be safe, he could do without the birthday celebration.

Taeyang’s tears silently flowed down his cheeks as he rubbed Jiyong’s back soothingly, “I know Ji, I know.” He could hear the pain in Ji’s voice, Jiyong rarely cried like this. Tear-jerking situations like this occurred once in a blue moon; the last time was when his scandal got out of hand.

“We have to stay strong for maknae, I’m sure he don’t want us to be all weak like this,” Taeyang continued, holding his bestfriend tightly, allowing him to cry his heart out.

“Will he be okay?” Jiyong asked, sounding somewhat vulnerable as he clung onto Taeyang.

Taeyang wiped off his tears and comforted Jiyong further, “Of course, he’s your strong baby remember?”

Strong baby, that was one of Seungri’s nicknames after releasing a successful solo track with that name as the title. It was written by Jiyong himself.  With the comfort offered by his best buddy, Jiyong felt a little hope seeping into his heavy heart. His strong baby panda would be alright.

--

Indeed, Seungri was strong. The operation was a success, Seungri was still in critical condition but the point was - he was not dead. He was in a coma though; he lost way too much blood. Jiyong heaved a sigh of relief when the doctor informed him that his husband’s heart was still beating, lungs were still breathing; Seungri was still alive. At least he was alive, Jiyong was thankful for that.  

His relief was short-lived; good news always came with bad news.

“The accident injured his spine and we had tried our best to mend his spinal cord. However, the damage was extensive and there was not much that we could do. The injury will leave Seungri paralyzed from the waist down. We’re sorry, Seungri may most likely not walk again,” the doctor said in a grim tone, indicating the seriousness of Seungri’s condition.

The news was too much for Jiyong, who felt a little light-headed after hearing those words coming out of the doctor’s mouth. Luckily, the other three members of Big Bang were there to catch their leader from fainting. They sat him down on a nearby bench and gave him words of encouragement. The three members tried to coax Jiyong to remain strong and calm for Seungri but they were not in his shoes, they did not understand.

The thought of Seungri not being able to dance, yet alone walk again, was insane. If Jiyong could not take this fact well, how would Seungri react to it? Dance meant everything to Seungri, it was what led him to train in YG until he earned a spot in Big Bang. This devastating news could not reach Seungri, it would definitely put him in a slump.

“No one is to tell Seungri about this,” Jiyong warned, making eye contact with the three of them. Taeyang and Top nodded in agreement, understanding why Jiyong made the decision.

Daesung, however, was not in favour of this, “So we’re going to lie to him? Tell him he’s going to be better when he’s not?”

 Jiyong sighed and ran his hand through his hair in frustration, “I know this is not a great idea but we can’t just tell him he can’t walk again. He’ll be mortified! God knows what will happen to him after that, you know how important his legs are to him!”

Daesung was about to voice out his objections but was cut off by TOP who nudged him and shook his head; signalling to him not to pursue the matter. Daesung kept mum, respecting his leader’s decision.

“Who knows, miracles happen. He might walk again,” Jiyong murmured as he stood up and left, heading to Seungri’s ward. The other three members, who followed him closely, were rather stunned that despite what had transpired that day Jiyong’s optimism was still quite intact. s were unaware of the miracle which happened that fateful morning when Jiyong was marked cancer-free and he hoped that such a miracle could reverse Seungri’s disability too.

--

The police had come, taken down statements from Jiyong since he was an eye-witness. Recalling those unpleasant memories was excruciating but Jiyong was left without a choice. He was told that the other driver had died on the spot but Jiyong could not care less about the irresponsible individual who had caused the accident.

With them, they brought the undamaged remnants of the car wreck – the pile of presents which Seungri had painstakingly collected for his beloved. When they left, Jiyong looked at the pile of gifts only to be reminded of their wedding night when they rummaged through their wedding gifts. He felt touched by Seungri’s loving gesture, his eyes were stinging once more. He would love to browse through the gifts that his lover had thoughtfully picked out for him but Seungri was of utmost importance now. Seungri needed him.

--

Jiyong stood outside the ward with the rest who had came to visit, looking through the glass window to see a patient lying unconscious on the bed. He was the only patient there in the intensive care unit, and the name of the patient was plastered on the door of ward. Jiyong could not recognize him, with all the bandages, swelling, bruises, wires attached to the machines but that patient was said to be his husband.

He was afraid to enter the ward even though he yearned to be by Seungri’s side, cooing in his ear to wake up. Fear was making him hesitate, scared that he would crumble if he went in. He knew he had to be strong but seeing his significant other in that pitiful state was heart wrenching. He was unsure whether he could provide the strong moral support that Seungri needed.

Only one person was allowed in the ward according to the doctor’s instructions and Jiyong was tempted to give that opportunity to Seungri’s mother instead. The mighty dragon had lost his strength, too much in a day; it had all taken a toll on him. Mothers have powerful instincts and Seungri’s bawling mom could sense that her son in law was faltering.  

She gave him a back hug and she could feel Jiyong’s body trembling as he began to cry for the nth time that day. More tears streamed down her cheeks and left wet marks on the back of Jiyong’s shirt.

“Jiyong-ah, Seungri needs you. Be strong for him, he needs you. If you love Seungri as much as you say, then please stay strong for him,” she pleaded, sounding like an emotional wreck herself.

Upon hearing her desperate plea, Jiyong took a deep breath and swiped away his tears. He turned around and gave his mother in law a proper hug, embracing her tightly to lend her some comfort.

“I love Seungri and I will stay strong for him,” Jiyong simply stated as he broke off the hug and swiftly made his way into the ward.

--

Sitting by Seungri’s bedside, he was silent for a moment, only the beeping from the machines filled the room. It was awkward because there was an absence of Seungri’s mindless chatter. Nothing to lift the mood of the atmosphere, Jiyong’s endorphin (Seungri) was not functioning today.  

Jiyong placed his face on Seungri’s pillow, near his ears. Not knowing where to touch, he rested his hand on his left arm; an area that was not bandaged.

Jiyong cleared his throat to eliminate any pain trapped in his voice and he shone his mega watt smile to his sleeping Seungri which made him feel a little better.

“Baby-ah,” Jiyong started, “why are you sleeping?” Jiyong pouted as he belted out the best aegyo voice he had ever done. No response, no giggling from his lover. The lack of response is making Jiyong feel a little out of place, he can feel the sadness setting in again but he quickly shrugged it off as he continued to speak to his comatose lover.

“I saw the presents! Thank you so much baby, you’re so kind,” Jiyong beamed even more, pretending to be jovial but deep inside, it was a whole different story.

Jiyong contemplated on what to say next and he remembered the important news that he had to convey, “can you hear me baby? I think you can, listen closely okay. I’ve got important news remember?”

“I don’t have cancer. The doctor said they mixed up my document with another patient. I’m not going to die Ri, isn’t that great?” Jiyong exclaimed, expecting Seungri to bounce off the bed and crush him into a tight hug like he normally would. That did not happen this time.

Jiyong was sure Seungri could hear him; he noticed a tear sliding down the corner of Seungri’s eye.

Jiyong used his forefinger to wipe away the tear, “I know you’re really happy too Ri baby. I want you to rest now until you get better. After this, we’ll go on a honeymoon okay? I promise. Our scrap book has too many blank pages dear.”

“You’re my strong baby right? Please get better alright love? Get better for me, I need you,” Jiyong uttered in a soft voice; taking deep breaths to keep the tears at bay. He Ri’s arm lovingly, staring at his lover’s bandaged face. He decided that he would stay vigil by Seungri’s side until he regains his consciousness; he wants to be the first person that Seungri sees when he wakes up.

In his heart, Jiyong silently prayed for strength to go through this hardship and also for his strong baby to wake up soon.

Seungri was, afterall, his pillar of strength.

--

To be continued~