Wishes, Questions, &Nothingness;Pt:1

A Book Of Short Stories.

 


"I don't know what that means.." he muttered silently under his breath as the dog barked at him. His jaws, like a machine and eyes like darts, as if a threat to the young man. 

"Hey! This way!" he turned his head away from the raging animal and rushed over to the voice, his savior. 

The elder boy motioned his hand for the utterly confused younger to follow.  Kai looked back at the dog, now closed behind bars, and sighed from relief. 

"It seems you lost your way. I'm Luhan, please come, it's not safe out there." he spoke in a soft whisper, equally as soft as his features. Kai merely nodded as Luhan turned to lead him to a dark room. A single mattress lay in the corner as a dirty lightbulb hung from above. Kai bowed to the elder as he sat on the mattress, chowing down on a stale box of crackers he'd found on the search for a near shelter.

 Kai had been traveling for months, hoping he'd find an end to the world, but no was always the answer he received. The sun would set silently and rise again, only to ignore poor Kai's wish. Every step he took brought him closer to the steps he'd already taken, causing him to stumble into an unknown cycle, taking him to the same wish, same question, same answer, Again and again and again. 

After finishing the entire box, he looked to Luhan, tapping his mouth lightly as if asking for water. His lips dry and pealing from the hot sun and malnourishment and tongue hanging from the right corner of his bottom lip he managed to speak a word. "thirsty..."

 Luhan's eyes widened as he rushed out the wooden door, climbed up the ladder and brought back a cold bottle of water. Handing it cautiously to Kai, he stepped back as the boy chugged it faster than he could blink. Luhan crossed his arms across his chest as Kai held the bottle tightly in his hands. up the last drops it held.

What a waste. All those drops could easily fill a spoon full. Enough to feed a small plant, to give it at least the mere hope that it could survive. That there was still someone out there, that believed in it's existence. But no. No was always the answer. From the mere question a child may ask to their parent to the questions that are never verbally answered, but were left to whither away until the one asking is forced to take the answer as a No. 

Kai shuddered under his skin, feeling a wave of cold blood rushing through. He took a quick glance at Luhan and after the burst of a healthy fluid in his system, he decided he could fully attain his vocals. "Kai." he whispered, deep and rich. He looked down at the crumpled bottle of water in his hand, dropping it by his feet. It reminded him of his father. A man of his word, but once he didn't find any use in the promise kept, he would forget it as if it had never happened. Kai indeed was the promise that he'd chosen to forget. After all he thought that it was all Kai's fault his wife had died. 

5 years. The 5 dreaded years that citizens of Seoul had to endure the control of the government. A game of Strict rules that every woman should die after giving birth and every man shall fight in a battle in order to regain their wives life. If the man loses, his pregnant wife shall give birth and then be murdered in various ways. The child however remains with the father to do as he pleased. Some fathers drown their new born as a bad memory, and some send them to other countries for safety. Others, such as Kai's father, abandon them, so there's no feelings involved.  Kai's mother had died after giving birth to Kai because his father had lost in a battle. Kai was to young to know. To young to understand.  He was 3 when his father had made such a decision. The decision that now has him wandering the cold streets. Forced to endure chilly winter nights, and scorching summer days. To find a home, where someone would accept him. 

Luhan sighed loudly, making the younger turn his attention back to him. "Kai. There's food every day at exactly this time. Up the ladder and down the small hallway there's a door. You will find the rest of us there." he stopped and focused his eyes on the dusty wood floor below his feet. Kai watched him silently. Taking in each angle of his small innocent face as the elder froze.  Quickly his eyes darted toward Kai. As if nothing had happened. "please join us once you have made yourself comfortable." he muttered quickly and climbed up the ladder. After he had gone, Kai played his voice over and over in the back of his head.

He stood up, brushing himself off as he made his way to the ladder. Stopping midway, he thought. "what time is it?" 

Luhan rushed into his room. Slamming the door behind him he started to Cry into his thin pillow. The springs in the mattress making so much noise that his sobs and whimpers faded into the thick air of the room. Picking himself up after a couple minutes he looked into his broken mirror. Taking his finger he slid it slowly against a sharp edge sighing intimately as he purposely pricked the skin. He watched the drop of blood roll down his finger to the middle of his palm, fading away once it reached the middle of his wrist. The long red trail dried itself into his skin. Luhan without disgust, without shame, the blood up. Just enough to savor the nothingness. Not enough of anything in him, to make even his body edible. That his existence was for nothing.  Luhan shook his head at the odd thoughts and left the room silently, again hiding the emotions as if nothing had happened. He noticed Kai ahead of him, opening the door down the hall slowly as if there was a threat or a danger on the other side.  He followed quickly and entered after him.

Kai stood there staring at all the dirtied, unfamiliar faces. Their eyes wide from curiosity, staring at Kai as if he were an alien.  The tallest stood up silently. His rich blonde hair swept over his forehead, he held his hand out to greet Kai. Kai, emotionless, looked at his hand, shaking it as if nothing mattered. His eyes roaming the others sitting in a perfect circle. 

Luhan appeared from behind, a kind smile perched upon his delicate lips. "boys, this is Kai. He's going to be living with us now." Luhan spoke. a hint of cheer in his voice. He even patted Kai's back before disappearing behind another door. Kai touched his neck. Standing amongst, he started to count, 10 boys was not only awkward, but slightly uncomfortable. He wanted to live with a loving family, a mother and father, not a group of boys. 

The taller one stood up again. He took Kai's arm, leading him to an empty spot next to a young man with tears in his eyes. Well, not quite tears, but his face looked as if he was at the brink of tears. Too much emotion surrounding him, Kai looked down and he felt more eyes on him. The Taller one returned to his seat next to a boy with midnight dark hair. His large black eyes reminded Kai of a cat, but the way he rested next to The taller took him back to the weakness of the moment.

"Kai, I'm Kris. This is Tao." the taller pointed to the cat like boy. Kai nodded, bowing his head in respect and to greet. He couldn't seem to speak to any of them.  "and the one sitting beside you is Suho."  Kai nodded again, but turned his attention to Luhan, who was happily carrying a large pot of soup. Steams escaping the sides of the lid covering the soup caught Kai's nostrils in a delectable daze. His mouth watering from the scent of spices and meat filling the air. The others seemed uninterested, slowly taking bowls and silverware.  Luhan continued smiling as Kai watched each small movement he made to pour equal amounts of soup into each bowl. Kai held his bowl out as Luhan added a bit of extra meat. The smile slowly fading away as he rushed back to the kitchen with the pot in his hands. 

Quickly, each silent boy slurped up the entire meal. Kai took his time since it was the first real meal he'd never had before.  Half of them had already departed to their rooms. The only ones left were Kris, Tao, and a shy young man. Kai watched him occasionally as he fiddled nervously with his fingers. Luhan exited the kitchen after awhile and sat next to the shy boy. Kai watched curiously as Luhan took his hands in his own, them softly he muttered something in his ear.  Kai stood up, turning toward the kitchen to return the bowl to it's place. Luhan noticed, and stood, taking it from his hands.  Kai furrowed his brows and turned to sit a bit closer to Kris.  Him and the mysterious boy, Tao, sat awfully close to one another. Kris's hand resting on his and their eyes never leaving the others. Kai felt a pang of warm feelings as he decided to sit next to the other boy, still fiddling with his fingers. 

"hey." he whispered, causing the boy to twitch.  The boy nodded and continued feeding the silence breathing down each of their necks. "I'm Kai, you are?" Kai asked, trying to add a hint of interest and a smile in the question.

"he doesn't wish to speak to anyone." Kai turned his head to a slightly angry looking Luhan behind him. "Please leave him be." Luhan whispered. His voice turning to a cold. 

Kai stood up and walked out of the room quickly. Anger, and a bit of jealousy encased his feelings. He was heading straight for his room when he noticed a door on the right side. A small sign on the door read 'Luhan'. Kai's curiosity suddenly took the best of him and he decided to take a small trip to the elders room. 

Once entered he noticed nothing different. It appeared the same as the room he was assigned. Kai sat atop his bed, not hiding the tempation to lay his head on the elders pillow. Slowly inhailing the scent covering the pillows and sheets, he felt a smile playing at the corners of his lips. Pulling his head slowly away he noticed a small difference in the room. A broken mirror, perched on the wall, Hung lopsided by a small wire. Kai looked into the cracked mirror, tracing his finger over one of the cracks. His brown orbs twinkling lightly as he noticed a small tear crawl from the inner corner of his eye. It left a small wet trail over his dust covered cheek. 

It had been years since he'd seen himself. Since he'd watched how much he'd grown. How he had transformed into a strong young man. Never seeing himself change over the many years, he finally saw now. In Luhan's room. This was a sort of sign. Luhan had already saved him from the savage animal, and now he had indirectly given Kai the chance to see himself. 

Kai adjusted the loose strands over his head and accidenlty noticed a red spot on a sharp edge of the mirror. Blood. Who's blood?

"what are you doing in here?!" 

Kai turned his head quickly as he noticed Luhan standing next to his door. His hand gripping the door knob so tight that the color in it was lost. Kai blinked. Not finding the right words to say, he lowered his head in shame. Luhan felt himself calm down as the younger fell silently before him. 

"I'm sorry, Kai. Please do not enter my room without permision." he spoke calm. His voice soft, ringing through Kai's damaged ears, as if magically allowing them the access to hear again.

Kai nodded without looking up. He heard extra footsteps outside the door. It was the shy boy. His face still lowered and his fingers now tangled from the ongoing figeting. Luhan patted the boys back as he nodded toward Kai to leave. Kai bowed in respect and exited the room, keeping his eyes on the cracked wood flooring. Who was this boy? Why was Luhan so Interested in and protective of him? 

Kai who was gaining odd feelings of connection with Luhan, felt the sudden urge to investigate, to find out.. everything.


I know very well how late this was, but I seriously got this idea last night. 

It was precious to write, but I still have more yummy plot later on.

This is just part ONE! :) eheh 

I hope you enjoy.

Thank you.