Leaving

Four Words

The airport almost seemed unrecognizable to him. It didn’t hold that sense of excitement that it once had for him. The joy and the nervous jump in his step wasn’t there. He’s always found the airport as a place where he felt the most happiest. Other than the stage, the airport always gave him this sense of adventure, waiting to step into new grounds and challenging him to grasp upon the reward that will be presented to him.

Right now though, the only thing that filled his heart as he stood there was this deep sinking feeling. Pain that he couldn’t explain was making his numb as he stared forward, looking at nothing and everything at the same time.

Jiyong could hear the chatter and banter of the people around him, but he didn’t listen. There wasn’t anything to listen to. They didn’t hold the laughter he wanted so much to hear. That annoying voice that try so much to be cute because it knows it can get Jiyong to do anything. And Jiyong would do just about anything, grumbling and complaining doesn’t look too convincing for his image if he had a huge smile plastered on his face.

He didn’t know if it were minutes, or hours later, when he heard the soft pitter-patter of shoes from behind him. He tensed up when he heard someone stand behind him, breathing the same air as him, feeling the same things he was feeling.

“Hyung…” Seungri whispered, trying his best to stay strong. For him. For Jiyong. For the both of them maybe. He wasn’t too sure anymore.

Jiyong didn’t reply. He just continued staring outside the window, watching as people walk down the step and looking as though they were in the happiest place in the world. It was either because they were with their loved ones, or were coming back home to them. Jiyong wanted nothing but to wipe those stupid smiles on their faces for being so inconsiderate.

“Hyung…” Seungri tried again, this time, he couldn’t hold back the tremor in his voice as he took a hold o Jiyong’s sleeve, “Hyung, I’m sorry…”

There was silence between them, it was as if everything else fell away around them and there were no one else there except for them.

Seungri thought Jiyong was never going to speak to him when he heard the quiet whisper of his hyung.

“Why..? Why do have to leave?”

Seungri shrunk back, he felt so guilty hearing Jiyong. His normally strong leader seemed so weak, so fragile. He wasn’t used to seeing Jiyong like this. He took a deep breath, then held his high, “I have to hyung.”

Jiyong turned around suddenly, his eyes seemed furious as he faced Seungri head on, “You have to?!” he exclaimed, “You have to suddenly leave your family behind because of some stupid scholarship?! You can easily get a scholarship here!”

“Hyung it’s not the same!” Seungri pleaded, “If I study there, I’d be able—”

“You’d be able to do what Seungri?! Help them?! Give them a better future?! You can do that here Ri! You can help them by staying here…  “

Seungri looked away, his body trembling but unable to talk back to his leader. He was surprised when he felt two arms wrap around him and a head rest on his shoulder.

“Stay here Ri…” Jiyong whispered, his tears flowing down his face as he held the younger man tighter in his arms, “Don’t leave your family behind… your friends… us…”

Seungri could feel Jiyong’s tears as it seeped through his clothes, but he didn’t care. He was crying now too, his hands trembling as they reached up to return the embrace.

“Please don’t leave me…”