Final

Waiting for Amber
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

His world slows into a standstill as everything around him dims into insignificance. Myungsoo doesn't see the twinkling lights above them against the dark sky nor does he feel the chilly night air nipping his skin. The flapping of wings as birds return to their nests and the serenade of insects fade into silence.     All that matters is his Amber - eyes bright and cheeks flushed, the hint of a shy smile in her pretty face. Just staring at her like this renders him weak-kneed, dizzied and blissful.      His lips still tingle, the feel of his lips pressed against her delicate, pink ones forever imprinted on them. Sweet and heady. Light yet intoxicating. Myungsoo wants more.     Boldly, he pulls her to his embrace. Soft and warm. A perfect fit. She doesn't protest. He should have known it would be right with her.      "Am," he whispers, his longing pouring out in that one syllable.     She hums, the sound vibrates in his chest, pushing his heart to demand for its freedom. It has been silenced far too long.     "I like you." He holds his breath and waits. And it is then that he proves that, indeed, the waiting part after the confession is the longest...and scariest.     Amber remains silent in his arms. Too quiet that fear settles in his heart once again.       "Uhum, and?" she prods.     He swallows hard and clears his throat. "I...love you...and...and I'll wait for you." This isn't exactly how he pictured his confession would be. He can barely recognize his own voice; can't even hear it past the pounding in his ears. He needs a re-take.      Taking a deep breath, Myungsoo fixes his gaze on her. He gently tilts her head and repeats the words tenderly but with a certainty that is reflected in his eyes. "I love you and I'll wait for you. I'll do whatever you ask me to."       _______________________________________________________________________________       It has been thirteen days since Amber left and Myungsoo's mood has not improved since. He is back to his quiet and brooding self, only, much worse.     "Cut it out." Sungyeol slaps his shoulder and plops down the couch right next to him. He grabs the remote control and switches channel, as if he owns the house.      Sounds from the television echo in the silence and as the seconds tick by, Sungyeol's patience wears thin. Myungsoo is reduced to a non-living, breathing mass that occupies space. Being the good friend that he is, he can't let him stay that way.     "Hey," he nudges him with his elbow and yet again, gets no response.  He takes one long look at Myungsoo's stoic expression then scoffs before turning back to the television.  "I'll wait for you," he mimics in an annoying tone. "And you can't even last for three weeks," he murmurs.     "Easy for you to say."     Sungyeol jerks and surreptitiously slides his gaze to the right, unfazed.     "You are not the one who just had a girlfriend who leaves you the very next day for another country!"     His outburst is so uncharacteristic of him; so unlike him. Sungyeol doesn't know what to do other than talking. "So? She is your girlfriend, right? And she is coming back," he pauses, long enough for the fact to sink in. "Next week," he emphasizes before fully turning his head to face his fuming friend.     "You don't understand," Myungsoo grumbles, brows furrowed and upper lip slightly pooched out.     At this, Sungyeol shakes his head. There is no use talking sense to a love sick, sulky toddler.       _______________________________________________________________________________         No one understands how he feels. He misses her so bad. Even more now that she is officially his. It is unfair that he get only gets to spend three hours with his girlfriend before she abandons him for three whole weeks. Their relationship is still new and fragile. His mind reels back to that fateful day.     "I love you and I'll wait for you. I'll do whatever you ask me to."     "I know... I...feel the same way," she confesses and a lovely color paints her cheeks. "You took too long though," she mutters, her eyes slightly narrowed at him, her lips pursed in feigned displeasure.     "Sorry," he tells her tenderly, drawing circles on her back. "I waited for you to notice me, to be prepared to accept me, but I guess I was just too scared of your rejection," he flashes her a boyish grin that had her pressing her face on his shoulder. "Sorry," he repeats and she finally nods her head.     He can't help feeling hope rise to his heart. But he has to know. "So...So, you are not leaving?"     "No. Why?"      His heart slams hard into his chest before dropping to his gut. "I just thought... Oh, nothing... I will wait for you. I can wait longer," he emphasizes the last part more for his sake than hers. He gives her a smile, despite the sadness and cold emptiness he feels with her reply.      "Three weeks is hardly long, though," Amber muses, pulling him out of his thoughts.     A look of confusion settles on his face. "Three...weeks?" Did he hear her wrong?     "My vacation?"     Dumbfounded, it finally dawns on him. He struggles to stop the huge grin forming on his lips but fails miserably, as he asks her, "So where... I mean, you are not studying abroad?"     "We took the same entrance exams you dummy. I am staying here."          He holds on to her promise of staying in South Korea. In retrospect, he has been acting like a petulant three year old, who had his favorite plushie taken away just after having it for a few moments. But that is exactly how he is feeling. Needy. Deprived.     He is now her boyfriend and he is entitled to be miserable when girlfriend is not around.
Please log in to read the full chapter