How We Are, Now

Our Mango Tree

 

 

Dongwoo, to her right, shifted around to find a much comfortable sitting position.

“Well, this old mango tree, it gave me the place to think. That was reason number one.”

He said, while dusting off his hands.

“You’ve told me that. And I think you’re right. Sitting here right now gives me a sense of calmness. That’s weird, I mean we are in the middle of the city, but it felt like we were in the country, right?”

There were hints of excitement in Sara’s voice that triggered another chuckle from Dongwoo.

“Yeah, that’s what I mean. It could be because of the buildings here too, it adds up to the country feeling.”

Her head bobbed in agreement. Probably because it’s a place of childhood, they were brought back to the free and easy phase of life when they stepped into the kindergarten. Calm, indeed.

 

“Do you have another reason why this tree, as you said, helped you get through the hard times, Dongwoo?”

“I have two more.”

“Two more? Altogether three reasons?”

“Yepp, altogether three reasons. And here goes reason number two; I was inspired by the tree itself, I guess.”

She kept silent, giving the room for Dongwoo to explain.

 

“The tree, for as long as I could remember, it keeps on growing. Growing tall for the most of the time, and now, it’s growing old. It feels great just to look up to the highest branch, admiring how on earth it could grow so tall while keeping its roots firmly in the earth.”

He looked up, his eyes focusing through the heaps of leaves, fixing his gaze on the utmost point of the tree, smiling meaningfully.

“I want to be like that Sara. I want to be on the very top, the one with infinitely many possibilities, but I want to make sure I stay true to my ground. Never lose yourself, and always looked back from where you came from. I should be thankful for everything I have, and cherish every single person beside me, family and friends. Especially, my best friend.”

He looked at her significantly, and she instantly was moved by her seemingly thoughtless friend, so moved that she felt her chest was filled with extravagantly bursts of fireworks. And at that point, she knew that no matter how far he’ll go, he’ll always be the Jang Dongwoo she knew from the day she was born.

 

“Hey, why are you looking like you are about to cry?”

“W- What? No I’m not.”

“Oh, Sara, you’re touched, aren’t you? Oh, there, there! I saw a single drop of tear!”

“Am not! Jeez!”

Urgently, she tilted her head away, wiping the sole drop hastily. He saw that, and on an impulse, he wrapped his sturdy arms around her.

“I’m not going to forget you when I get famous, Sara, if that what you’re worrying about. I’m staying true to our promise, I swear from the bottom of my heart.”

Scoffing, she returned the hug with a push, “You are already famous, dude. And that sounded like the lyrics of a song, Jang Dongwoo!”

They snickered together, nonetheless.

 

Their bickering eventually tuned down, just in time when the day turned into night.

“We better get you back home, huh?”

“You better get to your dorm or maybe your practise room, Dongwoo. I could just imagine the kind of look Hoya would give you if he knew you spent two precious hours lingering around a tree.”

“Haha! I don’t want to even imagine that. Oh, the horror! Hahaha!”

She laughed with him, an actual hearty laughter for the umpteenth times that day.

“But then, I have to be here. I have to say goodbye to the tree, Sara.”

“Right, and I initially thought you wanted to hold a picket, to save the tree like some kind of green-right activist. So yes, go ahead and say goodbye to your mango tree, Dongwoo.”

 

His laughter died down, and his eyes, despite the minimum lighting they had, looked somehow earnest, sincere and warm.

“It’s our mango tree, Sara.”

She was taken aback by his seriousness all of the sudden, but he cut it out by taking her hand and together, they stood up from the ground, standing hand in hand facing the tree.

“It’s our mango tree, Sara, so let’s say goodbye together, yeah?”

He reassuringly tightened his grip on her hand, and she just nodded in response.

“Goodbye, dear old mango tree.”

“Goodbye, dear old mango tree.”

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

“So, good night then. I’ll call you when I arrived at the dorm, okay?”

They were already in front of Sara’s house, and Dongwoo, keeping his promise like he always did, walked her home. He went in just to say hi to Sara’s parents, and he ended up upsetting Mrs. Han when he refused to stay for dinner. He promised that he would come by anytime soon, and he hurriedly cued Sara to walk him to the door. He hated disappointing the elders like that.

“Take care, Dongwoo. And thanks a lot for the trip to the kindergarten. It was inspirational, to say the least. And don’t think too much about the mango tree, alright? May it rest in peace.”

She gave him a tight hug, the tightest she could muster at that time.

“Yes, may it rest in peace. Go in, Sara, it’s getting colder.”

He let her go, pushing her slightly into her house, but she stayed glued in front of him.

“Nah, I’ll watch you from here, until you disappear. I’m afraid the moment I turn my back from you, you’ll start crying about your treasured tree, with your reasons to love it and all--”

 

It came to her at that moment.

“You said you have altogether three reasons, Dongwoo. But you only told me two. What is the other one?”

He seemed to be taken aback slightly by her inquiry, but he regained his composure in no time.

“The third reason?”

There was hesitancy in his voice, she could detect it clearly.

“Uhuh, I mean, if you want to tell me.”

Knowing Dongwoo, there should be a solid reason if he ever refused to share, and seeing how uncertain he was right now, Sara didn’t want to pester any further. He wouldn’t give her any straight answer for sure, she knew him that much. But for the second time on that day, his eyes changed, his gaze became warm.

“I’ll tell.”

 

He looked at her like he never looked before, as she couldn’t really read his eyes right then.

“Dongwoo, it’s okay--”

“It’s because of you.”

“... Huh?”

His eyes stayed at her, much to her displeasure, but she couldn’t tear her eyes from him either.

“It’s just that... every time I felt like I need you while you’re away, but I couldn’t get in touch with you, I’d go the tree. That tree was our strongest connection, the place for most of our sweetest memories. Going there, it gave me the strength to endure the loneliness, I guess.”

“Loneliness? What are you talking about, Dongwoo? And what would you need me for? You could just tell me when we were both online--”

“I- I need you for- I mean, it was because- just because...”

He couldn’t continue, he was exasperated for words. He finally closed his eyes, inhaling a deep breath before he opened them back and looking at her intently, where she saw another hints of unexplainable frustration in his eyes.

“D- Dongwoo?”

“I have to go. Good night, Sara.”

“But--”

He leant in, and gave her the quickest peck on her lips, cutting her words and her train of questions, before he walked away from her. The stunned Sara stayed there stock-still, her hand on her freshly kissed lips, unable to move even though Dongwoo was long disappeared from her sight.

 

Dongwoo...

 

 

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Thank you for those who read this! :)