Chapter One

You have me solely.

 


 

Is it too late? Years have passed. Your life has passed. But is it really too late? The arrival of a package stirred these thoughts as the new day began and the smell of coffee filled the air.

 

Yunho was contentedly eating away at a cinnamon and raisin bagel and drinking a cup of coffee that was far too strong when a knock came to his door, rousing him from his newspaper that lay strew on his kitchen table.

 

“Dad.... Door!” came the voice of a girl from the direction of the living area.

 

“I'm going,” he replied, kicking stray toys out of his path as he made his way to the door. “Yes?” he asked, opening the door,

 

“Jung Yunho? A package for you,” a man in delivery clothes said, presenting him with a box and a clipboard. “Sign here.”

 

“Thank you,” he replied, signing, taking the package and closing the door. He took the box over to the kitchen table where he looked at it confusedly. It was a box wrapped neatly in brown parcel paper. The postmark was from Japan.

 

“What've you been buying?” A teenage girl asked, walking into the kitchen to examine the parcel.

 

With an unknowing glance, he replied: “I haven't bought anything. I don't know what this is.”

 

“Well open it then. Its from Japan!” she ordered, sounding almost impatient.

 

“I will..... I'll just finish my coffee first, its going cold,” he asked, a funny feeling spreading over him at the notice of the post mark.

 

Laughing a bit, she said: “You don't even like coffee. You're such a square.” Then she sprang at him and kissed his cheek before tuning and walking away. “I'm off to go on my laptop.” Then she was gone, leaving him alone with the mysterious package.

 

Drink in hand, Yunho eyed the package with a curious look as if expecting it to explode any minute. Then he reached for it and pulled it towards himself. Reaching around the side of it, he started to unfasten one end of the wrapped box carefully. That undone, he stuck his hand in and slid the contents out. It was a box. Slowly he took off the lid, peering in apprehensively before reaching in an taking out the contents, consisting of four A3 sized notebooks and a letter carefully enclosed in an envelope addressed to him. Placing the notebooks down on the table, he opened the letter. It was one page of neat handwriting that read:

 

 

Hello Jung Yunho,

My name is Kim Cho Hee. We have not formally met before so I hope you will not mind me sending you this package. As you are reading this letter I assume you have opened the package and have found the four notebooks enclosed. I am sure you are curious as to why I have sent you these. The reason is that I was clearing out my uncles old room and found them. Although we have never met I feel these will be of interest to you. I also feel that, in a way, they belong to you. I did read them. I know I should not have, but I know he would not mind. I hope you are not offended by this.

 

Read them. Please make sure you start at the beginning and read from cover to cover. Don't skip any pages or look ahead.

 

Kind Regards.

 

 

Yunho read the letter over a couple of times the repetition doing nothing more than adding to his confusion. “'Read them', she wants me to read some random notebooks?” he said to himself, looking at the notebooks. Reaching over to them, he took the first one off the pile. On the front was a post-it not with the number one written on it. The notebook itself was nothing special, just a plain green notebook. Not really that interested but feeling slightly perplexed, he opened the first page. His eyes settled on the lettering and his heart skipped a beat as he instantly recognised the handwriting. Closer inspection further instilled his suspicion. It was Jaejoong's.

 

 

*

 

 

 

The year was 2012. After what seemed like forever fighting legal battles and having to suffer the separation of a band that they had put their whole lives into, everything stopped. DBSK reformed and everything – or so they thought – was back to normal. The members were all over the moon to be able to see each other again, especially Yunho and Jaejoong who - being best friends and virtually inseparable before the forced spilt - had had it the worst. The reformation seemed like a new start. Straight away they were in the recording studio recording a new album, then in the dance studio practising a new routine for their comeback. But it wasn't the same. Time showed them that it could cause great holes. After spending so long apart, the dynamics felt different. They were arguing all the time and ultimately split again before they had even had their comeback.

 

That break was the final break with all the members apart from Yoochun and Junsu going their separate ways. Yoochun and Junsu formed a two man group and had quite a lot of success, Changmin made his way into acting, Jaejoong attempted a solo career but, after one mini-album, he just stopped, disappearing into obscurity. The odd picture of him snapped by paparazzi would surface every now and then, but his whereabouts weren't fully known. Yunho on the other hand didn't even attempt a solo career, he'd had enough of the showbiz lifestyle settling instead for finding a wife and settling down.

 

Two years after the spilt, Yunho met a woman whom he married almost instantly. Two years after the the marriage, he had a daughter. They stayed together as a happy family for one year before Yunho woke up one morning with an empty bed and a note on the bed-side table that simply read: I cant do this any more. His wife had left him. Left him to raise their daughter all alone. It was a struggle at first but he soon got the hang of it.

 

Every now and then he'd catch a glimpse of the music channels or the newspaper and see Yoochun and Junsu's smiling faces plastered all over. They were really doing well. Four years after they had released their début album they shockingly came out as being in a relationship which, to everyone's surprise, was received very well. Yunho couldn't say that he was surprised, he had always suspected something between the two of them.

 

Changmin received great success performing on both stage and screen and Yunho had even been to see him a couple of times.

 

He'd never had the guts to meet up any of the others. He just didn't know what he would say. After the second split there were too many bitter feelings between them and, if truth be told, Yunho resented them in some ways. Things could never be how they had been. Time made sure of that.

 

 

*

 

 

The year was now 2032. It had been been twenty years since DBSK had split again. Twenty years since Yunho had last seen Jaejoong.

 

Staring at the notebook he had in front of him, apprehension spread over him like a tidal wave. He couldn't remember the last time he had thought about the group.... About Jaejoong..... He had busied himself with life so much that all memories of him seemed to slip out of focus and to the very back of him mind.

 

Forcing himself to read it, his eyes scanned over the words on the first page. They read:

 

 

I don't know why particularly but I've decided to start a diary. This is it!

Things are pretty crazy at the moment so I thought it'd be a good idea to write

it all down so that I can look back in a few years and think 'oh! So that's what I

did on that day'. That'll be cool. Anyway. Diary commence.

 

Yunho let out a little chuckle to himself. As if he had never been away from Jaejoong, he read every word in his voice – every nuance and tone change – making him feel like he was actually there with him, reading every word to him. Excitement lacing into his apprehension, he turned the page.

 

 

6th September 2002

 

The past few days have been pretty crazy. I've been put into a group! There are five of

us in total and we're called DBSK! Isn't it exciting?? I'm really happy. The other members

are really nice too. I'll describe them all so that I have a record for when I look back:

First there's Park Yoochun. He's really nice and friendly and polite to me since I'm his

hyung but there is something strange about him. I can't quite put my finger on it just yet.

He has this kind of pimp-like aura about him...... and every now and then, his face kind

of changes into this really weird one...... I don't know haha!

Next there's Kim Junsu: He's very lovely and polite like Yoochun. His cheeks are really

cute and round, I just want to squeeze them! He also has a really good physique, quite

womanly in some ways. His voice is a little high, but its cute. He seems to be getting on

with Yoochun really well already.

Then there's Shim Changmin. He's our maknae. He's nice too, but maybe a little shy. I can

sense there's more to him underneath though, almost like he is just being polite and shy as

a way of hiding it..... Getting us on side before he unleashes it......haha!

Then there's Jung Yunho....... I don't know what to say about him. I don't know what it

was, but I sort of felt this weird feeling in my chest when I saw him. But it's probably

nothing. I have felt like I've been coming down with a cold for the past couple of days.

Yeah, its probably that!...... He's handsome......

Anyway. That's enough for tonight. Training is really tiring and I should get some sleep.

 

Goodnight.

 

 

 

Yunho let out a little laugh again. 'So that's what he though about everyone at first, he was kinda quiet when we first met so I couldn't really read him', Yunho thought to himself, reminiscing their first meeting. 'I thought he was a girl at first. His eyes were so big.'................