Chapter 4

Captivated by Yu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter's POV

 

 

 

Alam kong hindi ako paborito ng diyos pero sana naman kahit konting awa lang ay magbigay siya sakin. 

 

 

 

Halos mangiyak-ngiyak na sa kakatawa itong kasama ko. Ang daming tawa ah? Nakakainis! Eh hindi ko naman kasi alam tsaka namisinterpret lang naman ako sa drawing ng bata. 

 

 

 

 

"HAHAHAHAHA Oh my god, you're funny" I only gave her a glare. My goodness! 

 

 

 

 

"HAHAAHAHAHA....okay....I'll stop phew" bumuhakhak pa ulit siya ng tawa bago pa ito tumigil. 

 

 

 

 

"Where's her mom ba?" Tanong ko sa kanya nang matapos na siya. 

 

 

 

 

Suminghap pa ito ng malalim na hinga bago magsalita.

 

 

 

 

"When I said she couldn't be there for Klare's birthday, I meant her being away. Her mom is on a business trip, it's been two weeks already since she left Klare to me. She'll probably be back by next month. That's why I'm here babysitting her, temporarily." She looks at Klare who is still busy with her business and continued. 

 

 

 

 

"I see. How about you? How are you holding up with babysitting Klare?" I asked her.

 

 

 

 

"Me? Doing fine naman. Hindi naman mahirap alagaan si Klare. Because for her age, ang responsible at disiplinadong bata na. Sa simpleng pag gising niya sa umaga ay nakaayos na yung higaan niya. You won't have to remind her for her assignments pagkauwi niya galing sa school kasi she will do it right away. She knows what's bad and what's wrong. Whenever nga, a curse word leaves my mouth and she happens to hear it, she would not hesitate to call me out. That I should not say bad words." That only made her chuckle. 

 

 

 

 

I can't help but be impressed sa sinabi niya about Klare. Honestly, I rarely encounter kids like her. Mostly kasi sa mga bata na kinakausap ko is, it's either, tatarayan ako o hindi nagsasalita kasi nahihiya which I don't mind naman. Oo, nag-iinitiate ako ng interaction sa mga bata whenever I have free time kasi lumalabas ako niyan, gumagala sa parks o playground. 

 

 

 

 

 

I just adore kids a lot. Plus points na yun kay Klare kasi she's really a good girl.

 

 

 

 

 

"Ang swerte ni Klare. Napalaki siya ng tama ng mga magulang niya." Ani ko naman.

 

 

 

 

"Correction, 'ng magulang niya' , singular lang" pagkorekta niya sa sinabi ko at tumingin lang ako sa kanya waiting for her to continue. Bago paman siya magsalita ay sumeryoso na ang mukha nito. 

 

 

 

 

"Divorced yung parents niya that's why her mom's the only one she have." 

 

 

 

 

"Her dad was an , he couldn't even defend my sister from his family." Wait. Sister? I mean alam kong tita siya ni Klare pero I didn't know sister niya yung mom ni Klare.

 

 

 

 

"Seaman kasi dad niya and their time for each other became conflicted. Andami nang misunderstandings and arguements. Isama mo pa yung pressure and hate na his family is throwing against my sister." 

 

 

 

 

"Everything became too much for her so she filed a divorce. Klare was still around 3 back then, kaya she won the custody." 

 

 

 

 

This is making my heart wrench, nobody deserves a broken family. I said nothing for a response. Only silence.

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, was I talking too much?" Tanong niya sa akin. At umiling lang ako.

 

 

 

 

 

"No. It's fine." Ngumisi lang ako at siya namang pagbalik ng ngisi sakin.

 

 

 

 

"Ang brave ng mom niya. I can't imagine the pain she had gone through from all of that. Hindi ko kakayanin yun kung sakaling maranasan ko man yun. She's a strong woman and dedicated to give Klare the love that she needs. Kudos to her, Klare grew up a good girl." 

 

 

 

 

This earned a chuckle from her. 

 

 

 

 

"You know what?" Bigla kong sabi sa kanya na ikinalingon niya sa gawi ko. 

 

 

 

 

"For someone you only met twice, ang comfortable mo na sa tao, enough to share them personal stuffs. Not to mention, yung mga tawa mong pinakita kanina." 

 

 

 

 

This made her furrow her brows.

 

 

 

 

"Is it bad? I mean am I not suppose to do that?" Inosenteng tanong niya sa akin.

 

 

 

 

Ang inosente naman. 

 

 

 

 

"It's not. Not at all. I'm the same as you. And just like earlier na sinabi ko, it's also easier for me to talk and share my stuffs with strangers or people who doesn't have any idea who I am. It's weird but it gives me comfort."  

 

 

 

 

I am not trying to hide my identity naman. Not even from her. Alam ko din namang may mga tao talagang walang kaalam alam sa ibang bagay na alam ng iba. And if she actually doesn't have any idea who I am, then I'd like to stay it that way.

 

 

 

 

"Mind telling me why?" I gave her a look when she asked the question.

 

 

 

 

"You don't have to if--" 

 

 

 

 

"I don't mind." I cut her off before she could even finish.

 

 

 

 

"Most of the people I have interacted with, mapa co-worker man o friends, we don't really get along well. Except for those who I'm close with. Sa industry namin, it's not new if may controversies after controversies. Also competitions are a thing. Most of my co-idol-- I mean co-workers ay may hidden agenda when they try to get close with others." Muntik ko na tuloy nasabi yung 'idol'. 

 

 

 

 

I don't want her to know. At least not yet.

 

 

 

 

"It's so easy to fool someone who doesn't have the slightest idea of what they're about to do. They would usually approach the ones who openly shows their vulnerable side. That way, they can easily manipulate them into thinking 'they are their friend who is willing to lend them an ear'. They will milk out information from you, s-stalk you and will later use it against you to destroy your career...and if they are not getting what they want, they will manipulate the media and spread misinformation about you." I continued and then looked at her.

 

 

 

 

I can see the growing concern in her eyes after hearing what I said. It's very comforting. 

 

 

 

 

There was a deafening but endearing silence between us but that didn't last long. 

 

 

 

 

"That's ed up." Is what I heard from her. 

 

 

 

 

"I don't get why they feel the need to drag down a person who did nothing wrong to them. Imagine the hard-earned success gets easily destroyed because of a misleading information. They need to be arrested for defamation and invasion of privacy. Someone like them who is the reason why people had to suffer, deserves a punch in the face. They are in--" 

 

 

 

 

"Don't say that!" 

 

 

 

 

Laking gulat naming dalawa nang may narinig kaming maliit na boses. Stopping the woman from saying the bad word. 

 

 

 

 

It's Klare. 

 

 

 

 

"Tita, you promised me you will not say bad words anymore. Hmp!" Ani nito at nagpout. Hahaha ang cute naman! Ang lusog lang ng cheeks niya.

 

 

 

 

The woman beside me only raised her hand in a form of defeat but quickly held the girl's hand. 

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, baby. Tita was wrong." 

 

 

 

 

The pout was still visible in the kid's face.

 

 

 

 

"Hmp! Promise me you won't say it again?" Lifting her free hand and formed a pinky promise.

 

 

 

 

This only earned a chuckle from the woman.

 

 

 

 

"I promise." She then linked their pinky fingers together and smiled. 

 

 

 

 

"Don't be grumpy na. And oh...guess what?" she was gushing something from her back trying to hide something and revealed it.

 

 

 

 

"TADA!! I have your mickey!" this immediately washed away the grumpy faced that was in Klare's face earlier. She quickly snatched away the mickey bag from her the woman's gril and hugged it. 

 

 

 

 

"AAAAAAAA THANK YOU TITAAAA!" pagpapasalamat naman nito at nag-amba ng hug sa kanya.

 

 

 

 

Ang cuteeee naman ng dalawang 'tooo.

 

 

 

 

"Well actually no, Tita Winter found it." I saw the woman pointed at me that made Klare turn her head towards me. 

 

 

 

 

I didn't have enough time to react when she gave me a hug. Which I happily obliged. After a few moment ay kumawala muna ito sa yakap at nagsalita.

 

 

 

 

"THANK YOU ATE WINTERRRR!" Then hugged me again.

 

 

 

 

I looked at Karina who is cheekily smiling at the both of us. I threw her a glare and mouthed 'but all I did was return it?' And as if on cue, she took the message and threw me an assuring look telling me to just go with the flow. She smiled at me and I smiled back. 

 

 

 

 

"You're welcome, Klare." Sabi ko sa bata pagkatapos naming kumawala sa yakap. 

 

 

 

"Ate winter. I really wanted to see you." 

 

 

 

She's now shuffling something in her little mickey. And took out her sketchpad. Oh? I think alam ko na anong mangyayari.

 

 

 

 

"Because look, I drew you hehehe" she then flipped the pad sa kung saan yung drawing na tinutukoy niya.

 

 

 

I've seen it already pero ang cute parin talaga at ang sarap sa feeling nang ganito. 

 

 

 

 

I also noticed karina in my peripheral view who leaned closer sa pad na pinakita ni klare sa akin.

 

 

 

 

"That's me? Awwwee that's so cuteee. Thank you baby!" Sabi ko sa bata making it seem that I didn't know.

 

 

 

 

"Wow you even colored her hair haha." Ani karina.

 

 

 

 

"Her hair is so pretty and she's so pretty too." 

 

 

 

Huie ano baaa. One of the reasons why I like kids are they are so straightforward and honest. Like I know right maganda falaga ako charot! This made me blush a little.

 

 

 

"Right." Sabi ni karina. 

 

 

 

Ay.

 

 

 

"Thank you, Klare. I really like it a lot!" I thanked the girl that made her shy and squel.

 

 

 

 

Ang cute namaaann!

 

 

 

 

"Are you done playing with your friend, bb?" Karina asked

 

 

 

 

Klare then returned her attention to karina and nodded happily. 

 

 

 

 

"Yes Tita." She said and pointed at the way where the boy she was playing earlier is located.

 

 

 

 

"His mom is here to get him already because it's almost dark." Said klare. 

 

 

 

 

Napatingin naman ako sa gawi sa itaas at totoo nga si klare, night is coming. Hindi ko na din namalayan ang oras dahil nawili ako sa pag-uusap namin ni karina. 

 

 

 

 

Nahunong ako sa pag-iisip nang may biglang nagsalita, at hindi ito pamilyar na boses. 

 

 

 

 

"Hi hija nagkita na naman tayo uli. Salamat nga pala sa pakikipaglaro ng pamangkin mo sa anak ko." Sabi nito nang nakatingin sa gawi ni Karina. 

 

 

 

 

Tumayo naman si karina at nag-bow doon sa babae. The woman infront of karina looks like on her 40s. Maganda at makinis ang kutis. It seems as if she's not aging at all. 

 

 

 

 

"Hello po. Walang ano man po yun. Mas mabuti na din na may kalaro si Klare. Kamusta po kayo? Parang mas lalong gumaganda po ah." Sabi nito sa babae. 

 

 

 

 

Nakatayo lang ako dito habang pinapanood silang nag-uusap ng nanay ng bata. And if you're wondering ba't ako nakatayo ay nung dumating ang babae at tumayo si karina ay tumayo din ako at nag-bow. It's a korean culture, kahit hindi mo pa kilala ang tao ay you should pay respect to them.

 

 

 

 

"Ay naku! napakabolera mo talaga." Nagtawanan lang naman silang dalawa sa sinabi nito. 

 

 

 

Binabaling ko lang yung atensyon ko sa batang lalaki na ngayo'y nakahawak sa kamay ni Klare. At tila ba'y nag-uusap sila sa kanilang mga mata. Parang may sariling mundo.

 

 

 

 

Crush ba nila isa't isa? Hahahahaha silly mind. Pero kung totoo man edi sanaol? Mabuti pa yung mga bata may lovelife--

 

 

 

 

"At sino naman itong kasama mong napakagandang babae?" Natigil ako sa iniisip ko nang narinig kong nagsalita ulit ito at ngayon ay nakatingin na sa akin. 

 

 

 

 

Before karina could even reply ay nagsalita na ulit itong babae that left us shocked. 

 

 

 

 

"Girlfriend mo ba siya hija? Naku! Ikaw ha. Nakajackpot ka pa talaga!" Siniko-siko niya pa ito si karina.

 

 

 

 

Natawa lang naman ito at nagsalita.

 

 

 

 

"Ay hindi po hahahaha nakilala ko lang po siya dito sa hotel. Nagkasalubongan lang din po." 

 

 

 

 

"Ay ganon ba. Sayang naman kung ganun." 

 

 

 

 

Napatawa nalang kami nang mahina ni karina sa simabi nito. 

 

 

 

 

"Oh sya. Di na kami magtatagal at aalis na kami ha?" Tumango lang naman kami. 

 

 

 

 

Marahang hinila ng babae ang kamay ng batang lalaki at aakma na sana silang aalis nang nagpigil ang batang lalaki at lumapit kay klare.

 

 

 

 

HOOYYYY?!?!?!?!?

 

 

 

 

Nagchansing pa talaga ng kiss itong bugoy kay klare sa cheeks. Jusko po! Mga kabataan talaga ngayon!

 

 

 

 

Bumalik na ito sa kapit ng nanay niya at nagbabye sa amin. At kay klare.

 

 

 

 

Kumaway din itong si Klare sa kanya at sumigaw ng 'byeee!' sa batang lalaki.

 

 

 

 

"Now now, okay what was that?" Pagsalita ni karina sa tabi ko at nakayuko kay klare.

 

 

 

 

"He kissed me in the cheek, Tita." 

 

 

 

 

"I saw it. Do you have a crush on him?"

 

 

 

 

"No? He said in his family, it's a normal thing to do." 

 

 

 

 

Ay wow ha. Rejected agad yung batang lalaki kung may crush man kay Klare yun.

 

 

 

 

Karina only squinted her eyes at the girl while the girl was looking at her with a visible confusion on her face. Inosenteng bata ajuju na yan!

 

 

 

Ngumisi nalang ang babae sa bata.

 

 

 

"Anyway, let's go back na sa room as well? You need to take a bath na din so we can eat dinner." Sabi nito sa bata.

 

 

 

 

"Okay!" 

 

 

 

She turned to look at me na para bang nagsasabi na babalik na din kami.

 

 

 

 

"Sabay na tayo? Or you want to stay here still?" 

 

 

 

 

"Sure. Baka hinahanap na din ako ng mga kasama ko." 

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

"About earlier pala. I'm sorry about that." 

 

 

 

 

We are on our way sa lobby patungo sa elevator kung saan kami sasakay papunta sa floor ng room namin. 

 

 

 

"About what?"

 

 

 

 

"What the woman said earlier, I mean."

 

 

 

Oh? Is this about the girlfriend thing ba?

 

 

 

"Ha? Ay yun ba. Sus wala yun. May ganon talaga minsan na napagkakamalan ka." I said with a small laugh.

 

 

 

"I see." 

 

 

 

"Ay oo nga. Thank you pala for letting me see Klare." Tumingin ako sa gawi ng bata na ngayon ay nauna nang tumungo sa elevator. 

 

 

 

 

"It's no problem. Klare wanted to see you din naman."

 

 

 

 

"And. If you want, you can play with her whenever you'd like." 

 

 

 

"Are you sure??" 

 

 

 

 

"Real sure." 

 

 

 

 

"Thank you." I smiled at her.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

"Byeee Ate Winter! I hope I get to see you more often." Klare waved her hand at me before entering their room leaving Karina behind outside the door.

 

 

 

"Bye baby, have a good night." I waved back kahit wala naman na siya. 

 

 

 

"Winter." Tawag ng babae sa akin. This is the third time I heard her say my name pero ito lang yung tinatawag niya ako directly. 

 

 

 

"I-I can call you winter right?" 

 

 

 

"Of course. Karina as well? I can call you that too?" 

 

 

 

"Yes. But you can call me jimin too. Either way, I'm fine with anything." 

 

 

 

Jimin? Is that her nickname? Or real name? And why is it korean? Koreana ba siya? O may halong koreana lang? 

 

 

 

"Anyway, I gotta go now. See you around?" Pagsalita nito ulit.

 

 

 

"See you around, jimin." I called her by her other name because it's easier for me to pronounce. Though 'karina' is a nice name naman.

 

 

 

This made her eyebrows jump, probably not expecting me to call her other name but then quickly gave me sheepish smile.

 

 

 

"Have a good night, Win." 

 

 

 

"You too." I replied.

 

 

 

And then we both entered our rooms.

 

 

 

Alas 6 na din ng gabi kami nakabalik sa rooms namin. Ambilis ng pangyayari. 

 

 

 

To be honest, I felt like I needed that talk we had earlier. It was nice. We were both comfortable enough with each other to share ones stories. There was no judgement. Just us listening and hearing each other out. 

 

 

 

Except nga lang dun sa part na akala ko patay na yung mom ni Klare. Jusko talaga! Umiyak pa ako dahil dun. Napakamo winter!

 

 

 

I made my way to the bed at nakita kong may hinahalungkat si ningning sa bag niya. 

 

 

 

Napansin niya din akong pumasok at nagsalita ito. 

 

 

 

"Ayan na si bading! Kamusta yung kandi teh? Nagabihan ata tayo ah?" 

 

 

 

I rolled my eyes at her remarks. Ayan na naman po siya. Kelan ba ako nito tatantanan. 

 

 

 

"Che! Landi ka jan. Oh ano yang kinabusyhan mo jan?" 

 

 

 

"Eh kasi yung airpods ko nawawala na naman." At ayan na nga. 

 

 

 

Alam nyo bang, halos araw araw tong nawawalan ng airpods niya? May dalawang airpods din yang nakabaon sa bag niya para kung mawala yung isa ay may substitute siya. 

 

 

 

"Ewan ko sayo beh. Palagi ka nalang nawawalan ng airpods mo." 

 

 

 

"Eh kasi naman!" Pagwhine nito.

 

 

 

Napansin ko naman na wala si giselle sa kwarto kaya tinanong ko si ning.

 

 

 

"Asan ba si giselle?" 

 

 

 

"Andun sa labas. Kasama ata si manager lee. Gusto niya kasing magpahangin tas sabay na din magvlog." 

 

 

 

Aeri is not usually like this. Aeri is giselle's real name btw. As I said before, she's more of a homebody person. Kaya it makes me ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter