Chapter 3

Forbidden Fruit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3

 

 

A week after my boss decided to give me shoes, I met with Jieun for lunch. 

It was a small restaurant, from where I used to buy lunch for Jieun when she was pregnant. 

Little Jihun wasn’t there, she left him with her mom, so she could have some time for herself. 

“Oh, how I missed this place and their food. I still can feel the taste of my favorite salad in my mouth.” 

She said as we sat down at the free table. This place was always so crowded during lunch time, thanks god we booked the table a couple of days before.  

“It was such a good time, I missed working with you.” I sighed. 

Her brows furrowed. “Don’t you like your new job; you were so excited about it.” 

I shook my head. “No, I like it and it pays well of course.” I giggled. “But it was different back then.” 

“I know, sometimes I miss working too. Tell me now, did you make new friends?” She seemed really excited to know more about my new job. 

“I did, her name is Seol, seems like good girl, but I don’t know much about her.” It’s not like I’ve known her for long, we still have to get to know each other closer. 

“Don’t worry you’ll get used to everything soon.” She tried to reassure me. 

I bit my lower lip. I wanted to tell her I work with Chanyeol, but I couldn’t. 

I don’t know why. It seems so hard yet it’s so easy. 

“Unni I-” 

“Good afternoon, thank you for coming here today, what can I get you.” 

A not so excited voice interrupted me. I looked up and there she was, the beauty of this restaurant, the worst waiter I’ve ever seen. The girl who always looked at me like I stole something from her or like she was a customer not me. 

When we gave her our order, I swear she rolled her eyes at us. She left and I glared at her. 

Jieun giggled and I looked at her. 

“What is her problem?” I asked. 

Jieun laughed and shook her head “Who knows?” she shrugged her shoulders. Then sipped some water from her glass before asking. “Oh, you were saying something.” 

I breathed out. “You remember your friend? Park chanyeol.” 

“Of course I remember him.” she smiled awkwardly. 

“He is my boss.” Here said it. It wasn’t hard.  

She raised her brows in surprise. 

“Really, he came back? When he said he was leaving I thought it would be like for 5 years at least. I’m glad he finds his way back to Seoul though.” She chuckled. “He is a good guy, I’m sure he’ll make your time there enjoyable.” 

I nodded, smiling at her words, because she was true, I liked working there. 

The gloomy waiter came back with our food and left without a word. 

The food was too good to stop coming here. How is she still working here after all those years if she faces all customers with that face and attitude. If I was her, they would throw me out after the first day. 

“I wanted to ask you something.” I said halfway through the dinner. 

Jieun put down her fork and knife and looked at me with interest. 

“You never had feeling for Chanyeol right?” I asked, my heart beating fast. 

I think I almost know the answer, but still I needed confirmation. I’ve asked in the past too and if I get the same answer, then I’ll be able to breathe peacefully. I don’t want to feel guilty over having a crush on him. 

She smiled a little. “No, never. Like there wasn’t time for it. At first, I wasn’t thinking about having a boyfriend since I was still young, and I needed to study without distraction. Then Sehun appeared in my life out of nowhere and I fell in love with him. He's really good guy, but he isn’t my type, we weren’t meant to be.” 

I felt relief after hearing her words. Maybe I can tell her I like him too. 

I'm such an idiot. He is my boss. I’m sure he forgets about me as soon as he leaves the company every night. And here I’m thinking about him every day. 

And here I am worrying because I like a man who used to love my friend. And trying to get blessing from her like he is going to marry me tomorrow. 

“Why are you asking though?” She raised her brow then smiled mischievously. “By any chance do you like him?” 

My jaw hangs open. 

Was it that obvious? Can she read my mind 

“You do, right?” She repeated. I couldn’t utter a word. But it wasn’t needed, since apparently my face said it all. 

“Oh my god Yuna.” She reached across the table and clutched my palm in her hand. “Do you have a crush on him?” she asked again, her voice louder than before. 

I couldn’t hide it anymore, so I nodded embarrassedly. And hid my face behind my palms. 

“Come on Yuna, you shouldn’t be embarrassed.” Jieun tried to remove my palms from my face. She could reach it easily since the table is small. 

I finally let my hands down and liked at her with pout.  

“How can I not be embarrassed; he is my boss.” 

She rolled her eyes. “Still better than having crush on your university professor.” 

I frowned, professor? “Who had a crush on professor?” I asked. 

“My cousin Sora, but look at them, they are married now. It’s not like I’m trying to feed you with delusions, but everything can happen.” She said simply and stuffed with another bit of salad. 

I looked at her dumbly. “What are you saying that Zhang Yixing was Sora’s professor?” I find it hard to believe, I knew they’ve known each other for a long time, but him being her teacher is different. 

“He isn’t professor, he was guest lecturer for a single semester, it was exclusive to have him teach students business, but it only lasted a single semester since they were wary someone would find out.” 

I nodded. So, sometimes impossible can be possible. But that doesn’t mean I have a chance with my boss. 

“Enough about them. Tell me how he treats you. Is he being gentleman?”  

I shrugged my shoulders. “He is just-I don’t know normal boss, noting different has happened.” Then I remembered what happened a week ago. “But last week, we went to this restaurant for meeting and when we come back, I accidentally stepped on big rock, I don’t know where it came from but, anyways I-” 

For the second time today, I was interrupted by this waitress. This time because she bought our dessert. I don’t know if I should blame this on my period, but she annoys me so much. 

When she left my eyes followed her with a glare. Then I felt fingers on my jaw. Jieun turned my face towards her again. She was enjoying this situation too much. 

“So, where I was, I stepped on the huge rock and broke the heel of my shoe. And he took me to my home, then next morning the courier came with packaging, it was so early, I didn’t know they worked so early. And I opened this package and guess what was there.” 

“Shoes!” She exclaimed loudly, then covered . 

 “It was freaking Louis Vuitton.” I whispered with a pained voice. 

was still open with surprise. 

“He sent you Lous Vuitton heels?” she asked with widened eyes, and I nodded. 

Jieun placed her palms on the table and leaned forward. “What did you do?” 

I stared at her without a word for a second. “I gave it back when I went to work that morning.” 

“Why would you do that?” She sounded a little disappointed. 

“Because I couldn’t accept expensive gift.” Then I looked around and leaned closer too. “I couldn’t accept expensive gift form my boss.” I whispered-yelled. 

She leaned back. “What did he say?” 

“He refused to take it back at first, but when I insisted, he couldn’t do anything about it.” 

“Did he say why he gave you gift?” 

“He said he felt bad when my shoe broke.” 

Jieun started stocking her chin like she was thinking. Meanwhile I grabbed my chocolate cake and feasted on it. 

It was so good, I needed this for energy. 

“So that means he cares about you.” She smiled. 

I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know. Maybe. But I felt really bad when he said sorry.” 

I still remember his sad face. Maybe he was just trying to be kind. But I still had my principles. If he was my close friend, I would accept it. 

I sighed. 

“Okay, enough about me. We talked too much. What about you, is everything new?” 

She smiled gently. 

“I’m pregnant.” 

“WHAT?” 

 

 

* * *

 

 

I have been thinking about Jieun’s news for the rest of the day. 

Even though she is only two years older than me, our lives are so different. 

She is married with a kid and second child on the way. 

And here I’m. 24 years old trying to survive in capitalism. Of course, I want to have a husband and children, but not now. I need to have my own house when I decide to get married. 

It's funny how delusional I’m. But it’s not unattainable. I feel I can do this.  

And it’s not like someone is here begging for my hand in marriage. 

I went home tired as always. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter