Chapter 1

Forbidden Fruit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 
 

 

Chapter 1 

 

 

I stomped down on the sidewalk. I’m almost sure the whole street can hear the clicking of my heels.  

Who does she think she is? Who is she to talk to me like that? Even if she is my boss, nobody gives her the right to insult me like that.  

Everything went down after Jieun unni left. I continued working in the same company but in a different department. I was assistant of CFO, but that woman was the devil herself.  

Why are you wearing this, why are you wearing that? You think if you look pretty, you’ll feel superior. You are nothing but an assistant, no one will never notice you.  

Those were words my boss told me, so I left. Of course, I told about everything to HR, and they gave me a compensation. It was good money, but I still need to find a job.  

And I’m walking down a very prestigious street, on foot, because I need to be cheap, and I come here by bus. I  

I’m going to visit Jieun unni. She invited me to hang out. Thank God she did, because I needed to shift my mind on other things.  

And meeting my comfort person is the best decision.  

 She is my role model, even though she isn’t that much older than me she is still the coolest person I know. She is pretty. No joke she looks like model with her height and figure. She dresses really well, and she taught me some of the things I needed to know to be more confident. And she is really good at what she is doing. She is really professional. She is the real woman.  

She told me to wear nice lingerie underneath my work clothes to feel confident. She even gave me a couple of them on my birthday. I know it sounds weird when your boss gives you underwear, but she is my closest friend. Like my only friend.   

Also, I invested in good quality clothes, dresses, shirts, skirts and pants. Even though I only own three pairs of shoes, they are good quality, and I can wear them with anything.  

That's why my ex-boss hated me. I looked too good and according to her I was trying to overshadow her. She was 48 and insecure about younger girls.  

I stopped at huge white gates and rang the bell. It almost immediately opened, and I walked into the huge garden.  

God this is my dream. I want to have a house like this once I have my own successful company.  

I walked to the door, and it opened. Jieun was standing there with a bright smile on her face. That made me smile too.  

She hugged me.  

“Hey you look good.” She said.  

“Thank you unni, you look lovely too.” I said as I started taking off my shoes.  

“Oh, don’t say that. I haven’t had time for myself for so long.” She giggled awkwardly and combed her now shorter hair with her fingers.  

I shook my head. “No unni, you’re glowing. Having a child really suits you.”  

“Really?”  

I nodded.  

“Umm... If you don’t mind-” She started shyly and rubbed her palms together. “Can you wash your hands.”  

Oh. Why was she asking?  

“Of course, I don’t mind. You have child here I wouldn’t do it other way.”   

I walked into their fancy bathroom and unni gave me a fresh towel to wipe my hands. When I walked out, she was holding baby Jihun.  

God he was so small and cute. His cheeks were so chubby I wanted to kiss them.  

I want one like that.  

No... No... No... Not yet. I still have a lot of things to achieve and man to get married.  

But the babies are so cute. I think I have baby fever.  

“Oh, he got bigger after I saw him. Can I hold him?” I asked.  

“Sure”  

I took him in my arms. He started squirming at first and then calmed down. I think he recognized me. I have seen him three times only, but I love him.  

I looked down at him and smiled.  

“You look so good with baby, Yuna.” Jieun unni said and my cheeks painted red.  

“Umm... maybe, but this is the last thing I need now.” Jieun giggled knowing what I meant. “I still have to find a job.”  

Her face fell. “You still couldn’t find one? I thought the last one would work.” She said and motioned me to sit down.  

A took a seat on sofa and started rocking the baby in my arms since he started squirming again, but I had to give him to her mother since I couldn’t stop him. I was scared I would drop him.  

“I thought I could get it, but apparently they didn’t remove ad from the newspaper after they hired someone, because they forgot. ” I said and rolled my eyes.  

Jieun nodded. “Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t suggest anything to you. Would you like tea or coffee? Maybe even juice?” she asked and stood up abruptly.  

“Oh, maybe green tea, I don’t know whatever's easy for you.”   

Jieun smiled again. “I’ll get you green tea. I got some from Japan just this Monday, but I’ll go and lay him down upstairs. You can make yourself feel like a home in meantime.”  

I nodded, before she walked out of the room.  

But suddenly I heard a doorbell buzz.  

Oh, who could it be? Mr. Oh. But he must be at work.  

“Yuna, do you mind opening it? Me and Jihunnie kind of have a diaper incident here. It must be Jia and Sora.” Jieun called from upstairs.  

“Sure.” I yelled back and stood up to open the door.  

And Jieun unni was right. There was Sora and very pregnant Jia.  

They smiled at me. I’m sure they knew I was going to be here.  

“Hey, Yuna. It's so good to see you here.” Jias said and they walked inside.  

As we waited Jieun unni, we chatted a little. I’m so glad they accepted me in their friend group. They are really good to be around. I really enjoy those conversations.  

Soon Jieun was able to Join us, and she brought us tea, coffee and cookies.  

“You know I might help you.” Jia said. “Even though I can’t make my husband kick that snake out, maybe I can give you list of companies whose CEOs I know and maybe I can get you inside them.”  

I smiled. They are trying so hard to help me. “Thank you so much unni, but I want to do it myself.”  

“But we all know how good you are, so it won’t be like we are doing it for you.”  

I shook my head. “I’m really grateful, but I want do get out of this situation myself.”  

They smiled at me. “You are such a hardworking girl. I’m sure one day all your efforts will be apprised, and you’ll be able to make your dreams come true.” Jieun unnie said.  

“I hope so.”  

 

 

* * * 
 

 

 

Two days later I was in my apartment. It was a small but nice one bedroom apartment. The neighborhood wasn’t bad either. I’ve been living here for almost a year, but I love it here. I feel so cozy and I’m happy I can cook in my own kitchen.   

I’m not that good at cooking, but I make edible food.  

I was sitting at the table while eating my spaghetti for dinner. I found a recipe online and I should say it was quite good.  

I was scrolling Instagram in my phone when my mom called face time.  

“Hey mom.” Seeing my mom’s face made me feel calm. We look almost alike and seeing familiar features is relaxing. God, I wish I could hug her.  

“Yuna darling, how are you doing?”  

“I’m fine mom. How are you?” As much as I loved my mom, I hated lying to her. I wasn't okay. I desperately needed a job, but I still couldn’t find one. It was making me depressed.  

“Ah, I’m fine too. My head was hurting this morning but I’m fine now.”  

I frowned. She’d often get headaches due to her high blood pressure. “Did you take your medicine. Don't make me come there to control you okay. Take care of yourself.”  

Thanks God she is already retired and has her own money or else my income wouldn’t be enough for both of us. I have a small amount of money saved up, but I don’t want to touch it.  

“Oh, I’m taking care of myself just fine, I don’t need you to remind me. What about you are you eating well?”  

I raised my bowl with one hand for her to see. “I’m eating spaghetti with mushrooms, I made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter