Chapter 1

BLOOM

(Throwback)

BigHit Entertainment. (May 2013)

One year after joining the small company as a dancer to pursue her dream, Kim Minha finally confirmed to be one of the back up dancers for the upcoming new boy group. She has loved dancing since she was young.


Secretly, she started taking lessons after school in 2012, exactly one year ago. It's worth it, she said. Knowing that if she went for the bigger company, the chance to shine might be hard.


There are a lot of talented dancers out there, and Minha was scared and she is introverted to the point she can't handle being in the crowd. She almost gave up but ended up, choosing BigHit Entertainment. Why?


She met Bang PD, the founder of the company. What made her choose the company was, Bang PD listened to her dream when other people told her to just give up and focus on studies.


Bang PD built this small company with people with big dreams, including Minha. The struggle? Worse than she had imagined. Small companies can't afford a lot of things. The company doesn't have a lot of budget but no one is complaining.


Everyone is working so hard. With only 10 staff & a few trainees, the company announced the debut of a boy group next month. All the preparations are ready not long ago, and finally, to have a confirmed date is making everyone nervous and excited at the same time.


Counting days to the debut date, Minha as one of the young dancers, feels the thrill and the excitement to perform. She loves performing, but this is her first time dancing in public.


She took a secret lesson and never told anyone until today, especially her family. It's not like they will stop her from dancing, it's just that....she's not even close with her family members. Her parents are too busy with work, barely home.


Her siblings are always in their room, playing games or studying. Basically, her family is lacking quality time. Minha is not good with academics, her younger sister is way better and obviously smarter. 


So she doesn't have a plan to continue her study after grad, instead, she chose dancing. She thought, her parents could count on her younger sister on academics instead of her.


That is why she took a lesson secretly, to pursue her dreams. Minha's heart pounded in her chest each time she slipped away for her secret dance lessons. 


It was a mix of fear and exhilaration, a cocktail of emotions that left her breathless. The fear was not of being caught, but of the unknown, of stepping into a world that was so different from the one she knew.


Yet, the exhilaration was stronger. The moment she stepped into the dance studio, she felt a sense of freedom that she never experienced anywhere else. The music, the rhythm, the movements - they spoke to her in a language that she understood better than any spoken word.


Each twirl, each step, each beat of the music was a piece of the puzzle that was her true self. Dancing was not just a hobby or a pastime for Minha, it was her sanctuary, her escape.


It was the one place where she could truly express herself, where she could let go of all her inhibitions and just be herself.


Her heart would race, her palms would sweat, but the moment the music started, everything else faded away. It was just her and the dance, a beautiful symphony of movement and emotion. 


And in those moments, Minha felt alive, she felt seen, she felt free.


Now that she will perform with the new boy group on Music Bank next week, she is contemplating telling at least one of her family members. Her younger sister, Kim Minhee is a little closer to her compared to everyone else.


They barely talked about serious things, but sometimes cared for each other. Sibling things maybe? She decided to approach Minhee after dinner.

 

 

As usual, dinner time is the time that everyone hates the most. How she wished to skip dinner everyday but she can't do that. To face the awkward atmosphere every day when eating with the family. Maybe just her family?


Because everyone else was happy to have a quality time with family. Her father would suddenly ask about lessons at school and how well the academics, of course with high expectations.


Her father, Kim Heejun is a very hot-tempered and uncompassionate person. Minha and her siblings grew up getting beaten up most of the time, with or without reason. Maybe that's why she doesn't feel close with everyone. Well at least to her siblings who shared the same pain and traumas.


"I heard you don't want to go to college after graduation? Is that true?" without looking at his first born, Heejun questioned.


Minha feels the lump in . Probably her teacher told her parents about it. She put the chopsticks on the table. Her appetite for dinner is only fleeting, because of his voice.


"I don't like...studying..." with the last bit of her courage, Minha continues to speak.


"I feel like, if I go to study I'm gonna waste-" in a split second, she feels the sting on her left cheek. Her father slapped her, hard.


The sting of her father's slap was a familiar sensation to Minha, a cruel reminder of the harsh reality she lived in. It was a pain that went beyond the physical, seeping into her soul, leaving a mark that was invisible to the eye but all too real to her.


Each slap was a blow to her self-esteem, a brutal assertion of power that left her feeling small and insignificant. But Minha had learned to hide her pain behind a mask of indifference.


She had learned to swallow her tears, to bite back her cries, to bear the pain with a stoic silence that belied the turmoil within her.


Her father's indifference to her feelings was perhaps the most painful part of it all. The cold, unfeeling gaze that met her tear-filled eyes was a stark contrast to the warmth and love she yearned for.


It was a constant reminder of the emotional chasm that existed between them, a chasm that seemed to grow wider with each passing day.


Yet, in the midst of all the pain and heartache, Minha found a strange sense of resilience. Each slap, each harsh word, each cold gaze, they all served to fuel her determination.


They were a reminder of the life she wanted to escape, the life she was working so hard to change. And with each dance, each performance, she was one step closer to that dream.


Everyone is shocked, but to Minha, everything is just normal. She is used to this. Her father got mad, her mother would stop him and ask everyone to go upstairs.


"Everyone go upstairs, stay in your room." her mother said. Minha knows the next scene & dialogs, everything. She's been there countless times.


She has seen the same things happen since a young age and nothing surprising. Her younger brother, Kim Minjun was disappointed with father and smiled bitterly at his sister for not being able to help.


"It's okay. Let's go." the siblings went upstairs together.


On her way upstairs, she pulls Minhee gently before the younger step into the room. "Minhee..." the sting on her cheek is burning and her eyes brimmed with tears but she didn't care about it. Minhee looks back at her older sister, her eyes are tearing too.


"I wanna talk to you. Do you mind?" both of them went inside Minhee's room after the young girl agreed.


"I wanna tell you something. But I want you to keep this from everyone. Telling everyone, is my responsibility. Can you promise me?" Minha smiles. "What is it?" the young girl asked and Minha wasted no time, telling her everything about her secret.

 

 

*******

 

 

Finally, the day of the debut date. The dancers are getting ready on stage with the new boy group. Minha is on serious mode, she can't wait to perform and feel the loudest scream from the crowd.


Even though they are obviously screaming for the boys, she didn't care. To be on stage is what matters for her. A small crowd for the new group is more than enough, because they're just starting.


The crowd will get bigger and they need to do better in future. That's what Minha heard during the briefing with the staff and the new group. They're so close like a big family. Way better than her own family, harsh truth.


Music Bank MC, actress Park Seyoung and 2AM member, Jung Jinwoon done with their talk at the corner of the stage, introducing the new boy group 


"Hot debut from the new boy group, BTS!" a loud scream from the crowd and the music starts. And so, BTS the new boy group from BigHit Entertainment was born.

(End of flashback.)

 

 

June 2021.

It's been 10 years in the industry as a backup dancer and choreographer. Minha never forgets where she came from. Those people who helped her through thick and thin.


She still remembers the day when Bang PD listened to her dream. Time flies so fast, she left the company 2 years ago in 2019 to learn more about street dancing. Her passion about dancing is hard to explain in words.


Yet, Bang PD never stopped supporting her. After she left the company, she refused to join another label and chose to work as an independent dancer. 


Even when she was active as WayB's member, she refused to accept many offers. Because BigHit feels like a family and she doesn't want to have another family.


She was young when Bang PD took her to the practice room, and he was like an older brother? or young father? Whatever in between. But he was the only person who listened to her young dreams.


Minha sat alone on the warm wooden floor, her back pressed against the fogged mirror. Her gaze was fixed on her injured leg, encased in a cast that felt like a prison.


A wave of frustration washed over her. She was a dancer, her body was her instrument, and now it felt like it had betrayed her. She traced the edge of the cast with her fingers, her heart heavy with sadness.


She missed the feeling of the dance floor beneath her feet, the rhythm of the music guiding her movements. She missed the freedom, the joy, the exhilaration of performing. But beneath the frustration and sadness, there was a spark of determination.


She knew this was just a setback, a temporary pause in her dance journey. She would recover, she would dance again.


She just needed to be patient, to give her body the time it needed to heal. And in the meantime, she would keep dreaming, keep planning, and keep hoping. She waited patiently, one more week left. 


She then looked around, smiling. This dance studio is hers. Bang PD gave it as a present after she left the company.


It feels like home, because she slept here sometimes. Many young trainees trained here after school. She allowed them to use the practice room when she was away.


Looking at the young trainees, reminds her of herself. Her heart is softened by the passion & big dreams from the young girls. Yes, only girls are allowed for now.


Knock knock~ Slow knocks on the glass door stopped her from zoning out.


"Heyy~" Minha looks at a familiar figure, about to stand up from the floor when someone approaches her, "No no. It's okay. Just sit Minha." with a smile, she bowed in respect to the woman in front of her. 


"You haven't changed at all since the last time we met." Minha was pulled for a hug. "Hm? Are you sure nothing has changed about me?" Minha playfully smirked.


The woman is scanning Minha from head to toe, "Hm...I think, you looked...taller?" with a snort, Minha shook her head in disbelief.


"I am always taller than all of us, the fact that you can still spot the difference? Amazing." both of them laughed and went back to hugging again. Missing the old times.


Park Soyeon or known as Director Park or Soyeon PD, the woman in front of her is the dance teacher in Source Music.


She has so much respect for this amazing and talented woman, for teaching her dancing. But it's not just for that reason, Soyeon PD is like a sister to her.


A lot of trainees from different companies came to Soyeon PD for dance lessons but the lady is close to Minha the most. And Soyeon PD took a break for a while after the disbandment of Gfriend this year. Most shocking news to the fans.


When Minha first heard the news of Gfriend's disbandment, it felt like a punch to the gut. She had seen the girls grow and evolve, not just as artists but as individuals.


She had shared in their triumphs and their struggles, and to see their journey come to an abrupt end was heartbreaking.


She felt a deep sense of sadness, not just for the girls, but for Soyeon PD as well. She knew how much Soyeon had invested in the group, how much of her heart and soul she had poured into nurturing their talent.


The disbandment was not just a professional setback for Soyeon, it was a personal loss.


But amidst the sadness, Minha also felt a surge of admiration for the girls. They had faced the harsh realities of the industry with grace and courage, and even in their disbandment, they had shown a strength of character that was truly inspiring.


Minha knew that this was not the end for them. They were talented, they were resilient, and they had a passion for music that could not be extinguished. She was certain that they would find their way back to the stage, in one form or another.


As for Soyeon PD, Minha was determined to be there for her. She knew that Soyeon would need time to heal, to process the loss. And Minha was ready to offer her support, her understanding, and her friendship during this difficult time. 

 

 

After the not-so-sweet reunion, they sit on the floor, leaning on the mirror together.


"It's been...10 years? As a dancer, am I right?" Minha just hummed, staring at the floor. Soyeon PD is smiling while looking at her.


"You're so famous as a backup dancer. Like, literally, almost everyone knows you now. I can't imagine if you debuted as a kpop idol." Soyeon PD started to imagine things while smiling. Minha let out a small laugh, wiping the sweat on her forehead with her left arm.


Minha's rise to fame as a backup dancer was a combination of talent, hard work, and a little bit of luck. She had always been a gifted dancer, with a natural ability to express emotion through movement. But it was her dedication and relentless pursuit of perfection that really set her apart.


She spent countless hours in the dance studio, perfecting her technique and exploring new styles. She was always the first one to arrive and the last one to leave, pushing herself to the limit in order to become the best dancer she could be.


"Debut? Me? I don't think so. I'm so old to be a kpop idol. It's too late, PD-nim~" she didn't know why Soyeon PD came out with this topic, but it's funny to her.


"What do you mean old? You have had this career for so long, and like I said, people know you Minha. I'm sure a lot of people are excited to see you performing as a group. You shined even at the back, you caught attention from people." trying to make the younger girl smile, Soyeon PD gets closer to face Minha.


"Remember when Kai personally asked you to be the main dancer for his song? What a legendary performance, I can't forget that viral fancams of yours. You're the first dancer to have a fancam on music shows. That's a big thing and you know that! People love your dance Min, look at the millions of views." the young girl scratched her head, puzzled. So unusual of her dance teacher to say anything like this.


Her big break came when she was chosen to be the main dancer for Kai's song. Her performance was so captivating, so full of energy and emotion, that it caught the attention of fans and industry insiders alike. The fancams of her performance went viral, and suddenly, Minha was a household name.


But even with her newfound fame, Minha remained humble and focused. She continued to work hard, always striving to improve and grow as a dancer. 


And it was this combination of talent, dedication, and humility that made her one of the most respected and admired backup dancers in the industry.


She knows about the performance of course. It's a pleasure to work with Kai, even though she got so much hate from EXO-L for dancing with their beloved oppa. Minha's performance with Kai in "Mmmh" was a perfect blend of talent, chemistry, and timing.


The song's charming and straightforward lyrics, combined with Kai's charismatic stage presence and Minha's captivating dance skills, created a performance that was simply unforgettable.


From the moment they stepped on stage, there was an undeniable chemistry between them. Their movements were perfectly synchronized, their expressions mirroring the song's confident portrayal of attraction.


It was clear that they had put a lot of effort into perfecting their performance, and it showed.


But what really made the performance go viral was the fancam of Minha. The camera captured her every move, every expression, every moment of connection with Kai.


Her passion and dedication were evident in every frame, and it resonated with viewers around the world.


The fancam quickly spread across social media, with fans and non-fans alike praising Minha's talent and charisma. It was shared and re-shared countless times, and before long, Minha was trending worldwide.


The performance of "Mmmh" not only showcased Minha's incredible dance skills, but also her ability to connect with the audience and convey the emotions of the song. It was a performance that truly put her on the map as a backup dancer, and one that fans will remember for a long time.


But something is obviously not right with this conversation with Soyeon PD.


"Ayy Soyeon PD-nim, what do you wanna say actually? You're being so weird you know? Come on~" Minha is laughing nervously, and doesn't understand the situation.


"You called me, Soyeon PD-nim when you got nervous huh? I just love teasing you hahaha. Alright alright, let me just get this straight." facing the lady with a half serious look on her face, Minha is curious.


"I'm bringing you back to Bang PD next week." Soyeon PD held the girl's hand with a big smile on her face.


Minha's return to Bang PD could potentially open up new opportunities for her career. Given her reputation and the respect she has earned in the industry, she might be offered more prominent roles, perhaps even stepping into the spotlight herself.


It could also mean a chance to work with new artists, explore different styles of dance, and further expand her skills.


However, this move could also come with challenges. She might face increased scrutiny and pressure, and the expectations for her performances could be higher. She would need to navigate these challenges while staying true to her passion for dance and her commitment to her craft.


As for her relationship with Soyeon PD, it's likely that their bond would remain strong. They share a deep respect and admiration for each other, and their shared experiences in the industry have created a bond that goes beyond their professional relationship.


Soyeon PD's support for Minha's move to Bang PD shows that she wants what's best for Minha, even if it means they won't be working together as closely.


Minha's curiosity about what this move means for her is completely understandable. It's a big step, and it's natural to have questions and concerns. But with her talent, determination, and the support of people like Soyeon PD, she's well-equipped to handle whatever comes her way.