Ch.9

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Giselle gently wipes away the dirt from Winter's face and arms before allowing Karina, Yuna, and Yeji to take a warm bath. Despite Mark and Jaemin's offer to watch over Winter, Giselle insists they also take a bath and rest.

 

As the group reunites, they exchange warm hugs and express gratitude for each other's safety. Winter and the injured Karina are taken to a room, with Karina reluctantly leaving Winter's side once she's ready to join Yuna and Yeji. Giselle reassures Karina that she will take care of Winter.

 

With Winter exhausted and unconscious, they allow the wraith to rest. Giselle prepares sweets for when Winter wakes up hungry.

 

Thankfully, Winter's true nature as a wraith remains unnoticed by the soldiers. Once everyone is rested, they plan to discuss how to handle Winter with the facility's personnel and, in the worst-case scenario, how to protect her if they refuse to accept her.

 

The relief of the reunion temporarily eases Giselle's worries, but being alone with Winter sleeping brings them back.

 

Giselle's concern grows for Jeno and Lia, who have been missing for days. While Lia mentioned joining Haechan in his internship, Giselle is puzzled by Lia's sudden disappearance without explanation.

 

When Giselle inquires about the staff she encountered, they all give the same response: they don't know.

 

Jeno vanished shortly after Lia left him in his room, according to Lia's last communication with Giselle before her own disappearance. One staff member informed them that Jeno sustained a serious head injury and was transferred to another building for specialized treatment.

 

Despite Giselle initially dismissing the restriction on visitors for Jeno as necessary for his recovery, her unease grows over time.

 

Adding to her concerns, Ningning has been confined to Yunho's quarters in the facility since waking up. The soldiers justify this by stating that Yunho misses his niece and wants to spend time catching up with her.

 

Left to her own thoughts, Giselle is relieved when Yeji's group arrives at the facility with minor injuries.

 

Her contemplation is interrupted by a knock on the door. Yuna peeks in, followed by Mark carrying Karina on her back.

 

"How's Winter?" Yuna asks.

 

"You don't have to do this, Mark..." Karina protests shyly as Mark settles her onto the bed opposite Winter's.

 

"How's Winter?" Mark asks, echoing Yuna's earlier inquiry.

 

"She's sleeping peacefully. We still need to discuss what happened to her." Giselle replies, her tone firm as she eyes the group of five, who soon receive the continuation of her stern words as Yeji and Jaemin enter the room.

 

"Just because Winter's a wraith doesn't mean she won't get tired. You should've looked after her more." Giselle scolds.

 

"I'm sorry." the group collectively apologizes.

 

"No, not you, Karina. You didn't know, and you weren't doing well at that time. It's just these four idiots."

 

Yuna, Yeji, Mark, and Jaemin avoid Giselle's stern gaze, feigning interest in the room's interior to escape further scolding.

 

Giselle sighs and gently pats Winter's head for comfort when she notices it being disturbed by the noise. Karina rises with Mark's help, being careful not to worsen her sprained ankle. Giselle allows Karina to sit beside Winter and smiles at the sight.

 

Karina and Winter are inseparable.

 

Winter only settles back into a deep sleep once Karina is by her side.

 

"It feels so good to be clean. When was the last time I took a bath? Or even washed my face?" Yuna muses, prompting agreement from the group.

 

"I never realized how privileged we were before this apocalypse happened. Now I'm just grateful to drink clean water." Mark adds.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter