Ch.13

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Karina gently guided Winter as she placed a flower atop Lia's grave. They had chosen a serene spot on a hill, overlooking the city, where Lia could rest peacefully and enjoy the breathtaking sunset views.

 

The group lingered there for a few hours, cherishing their final moments with Lia and allowing themselves to rest and recuperate. Winter, exhausted from her brave efforts at the facility, was now being carried in an abandoned shopping cart they had found outside a looted store. Initially, Mark and Jaemin took turns carrying her, but their fatigue soon caught up with them, and they were grateful for the makeshift solution.

 

Winter seemed to enjoy the ride, which made it easier for them to transport her without any hassle.

 

After Winter placed her flower on Lia's grave and gently patted the ground—a comforting gesture she had picked up—she sprang up and playfully tackled Jeno to the ground.

 

"What are they doing?" Yuna chuckled softly, watching the playful interaction. Karina quickly joined them, ensuring Winter wouldn't overexert herself and Jeno wouldn't be harmed, considering his fragile state after the experiments.

 

Meanwhile, Giselle and Yeji provided comfort to Ningning, who remained silent since their escape from the facility. They empathized with her grief and offered whatever solace they could, understanding the enormity of her loss. It would take time for Ningning to come to terms with everything, especially the betrayal and the tragic loss of her last family members.

 

Though battered and bruised, having lost a dear friend, they knew they had to press on. United and determined, they vowed to navigate the chaos of their world together, never losing sight of hope and the promise of brighter days ahead.

 

 

---

 

 

Haechan led them to his old apartment, though he held little hope that it hadn't been ransacked. Still, he hoped to scrounge up a few changes of clothes for everyone. It had been a year since he last set foot in his place, and he had no idea what state it was in now.

 

Karina took the turn to push Winter in the shopping cart, the wraith gleefully riding along while Jeno ambled beside them, lost in thought. Karina noticed that Winter had enough energy to walk, but she couldn't bear to spoil the wraith's fun.

 

Despite their dire situation, facing dwindling supplies and Winter's craving for sweets, they found solace in the news that Jeno had a good chance of recovery, thanks to his resilience. Haechan also assured them that Jeno had put up a strong fight, explaining why he hadn't completely lost his mind.

 

Upon reaching Haechan's apartment building, Jaemin and Mark accompanied him to scout the area for any threats, while Karina and Yuna struggled to coax Winter out of the shopping cart. The wraith refused to budge, much to their amusement and frustration.

 

"Come on, Winter. We can't take this cart upstairs." Karina pleaded, met with a pout and huff from the wraith.

 

"Someone's being a brat." Giselle teased, watching from the stairs where Ningning sat, still recovering. Jeno returned with a flower, offering it to Ningning in a gesture of comfort.

 

"Thank you." Ningning whispered, touched by the small gesture.

 

"Even after what happened to him, Jeno still acts like a big brother." Yeji remarked, poking Jeno playfully with a stick, reminiscent of their first encounter with Winter.

 

"Winter, please. I'll carry you, alright? You can ride this again later." Karina pleaded, earning a stubborn frown from Winter, who clung to the shopping cart's handle.

 

"Clear. Let's go." Mark announced, signaling their return. Karina sighed, pointing to Winter, who still adamantly refused to part with her beloved ride.

 

"My unit is just on the third floor; we'll pull her up." Haechan offered, understanding the situation. Karina apologized for the inconvenience, but Haechan brushed it off with a smile, insisting it was no trouble.

 

"Winter helped us a lot—no, she saved us. It's the least we can do for her." Haechan remarked gratefully. Before he could ask for Jaemin and Mark's help, Jeno had already taken charge, effortlessly hauling the shopping cart up the stairs. As expected, Winter happily rode along, with Karina providing support to prevent her from toppling over with each bump.

 

"Jeno, did you get stronger?" Yeji inquired, impressed by his newfound strength. Jeno remained silent, continuing to pull Winter's cart.

 

"He's always been that strong; what are you talking about?" Jaemin boasted, clearly proud of his friend.

 

Karina marveled at Winter's mysterious nature. From immobilizing their enemies at the facility to acting like a child now, there was much to learn about the wraith.

 

Once they reached Haechan's apartment, they secured the doors and barricaded them with a couch for added safety. Fortunately, Haechan's place remained undamaged, aside from the layer of dust that had accumulated over time. He swiftly gathered clothes for the group, allowing them to change in separate rooms.

 

"I can't believe I'm wearing men's boxers." Yeji chuckled, amused by her attire.

 

"Why not? They're comfy." Yuna chimed in, content with her new clothes. Soon, everyone agreed, grateful for the chance to change.

 

"Where are Karina and Winter?" Jaemin inquired after helping Jeno change.

 

"Still inside. Karina's battling it out to get Winter to change. Giselle's helping her." Yeji replied, stretching out on the floor. "I'm beat. I'll sleep anywhere."

 

"You guys okay?" Yuna called through the door, hearing a commotion inside.

 

"We're fine! Ouch! Winter, stop—get back here!" Karina's muffled voice came from inside.

 

"Alright, whatever's happening in there, that's between them and God." Yuna quipped, chuckling when Karina's voice erupted again.

 

"This is the last one! Put on your pants!"

 

Ningning, who had been silent until then, couldn't help but laugh, bringing a smile to the group's faces. Seeing Ningning respond with a positive emotion after all they'd been through was enough for them, even if it meant enduring Karina and Giselle's struggles.

 

"Hey, Haechan." Yuna called out. "Do you have some yarn or anything I could use to make bracelets? I have Lia's bracelet, and I want to separate its beads to make multiple bracelets for all of us to wear. That way, she can always be with us."

 

Haechan's face brightened with a smile. "Actually, I do. I have a bracelet-making kit. Hold on, I'll get it for you. I'll even help."

 

"Sweet." Yuna replied, following Haechan as they disappeared into another room. Meanwhile, Karina and Giselle emerged from the room, with Winter pouting but still clinging to Karina's arm.

 

"I found a few canned goods here. They might be close to expiring, but if they still smell okay, we can eat them. Any idea what the date is today?" Mark asked as he inspected the canned goods from Haechan's kitchen.

 

"No clue. If they don't smell bad, then let's just go for it. I don't c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter