Ch.5

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter's bite left Yeji's hand throbbing with pain, one she got when she was trying to make amends with the wraith even not knowing what she did wrong.

 

Then came the clash with Jaemin. He was demonstrating self-defense techniques to Karina when Winter misunderstood and attacked him. It took Jeno, Mark, and Giselle to separate Winter from Jaemin.

 

Karina's gesture of offering sweets and a comforting embrace to Winter helped soothe the the wraith's tension, though Winter's resentment towards Yeji and Jaemin remained.

 

"How are you two holding up?" Lia inquired upon entering the room where Yeji and Jaemin had taken refuge. They were laying low until Winter's temper subsided. Lia tended to Yeji's hand and checked Jaemin's injuries.

 

Yeji's wound posed no risk of transmitting the mysterious wraith virus, as Ningning's uncle had clarified. However, the origins of the virus remained a puzzling mystery.

 

"I'm not in the mood to talk; I'm feeling down." Yeji murmured, her expression downturned as Lia gently tapped her head.

 

"Quit overreacting. I've been telling you to give her some time." Lia scolded, with Jaemin chiming in and chuckling at Yeji's expense.

 

"Stop laughing! I can understand why Winter might be upset with Jaemin, but why me?" Yeji protested.

 

"I know why. I've got a knack for deciphering wraith language." Jaemin boasted, his tone laced with amusement as he teased Yeji. To her surprise, Lia joined in the banter, adding to Yeji's bewilderment.

 

"Same." Lia chuckled, busying herself with changing Yeji's bandage. Yeji glanced between Lia and Jaemin, sensing a shared secret, yet neither seemed willing to reveal what they know.

 

"Tell me."

 

"We won't."

 

"Aw, c'mon!"

 

---

 

The radio signal they received a few days ago was abruptly cut off before the mysterious man could finish his message. The signal was weak, barely transmitting any information. All they managed to discern was a directive to head north, coincidentally where Ningning's uncle worked at the research facility.

 

With little information to go on, Giselle decided to hold off on taking action. There was a possibility it was a trap set by raiders, seeking to lure unsuspecting survivors. Ideally, Giselle wanted a direct message from Ningning's uncle.

 

"I don't care if you come back empty-handed, be back in exactly two hours." Giselle reminded the small group consisting Mark, Jeno, Karina, and Winter. Karina couldn't leave without Winter's insistence on accompanying her, so they agreed to bring the wraith along. They hoped the change of scenery would help Winter calm down.

 

"You're like a mom." Jeno chuckled, observing Giselle attentively wrapping Winter's scarf, despite knowing the wraith wasn't affected by temperature. Surprisingly, Winter seemed to relish the attention and behaved rather well.

 

"Be careful." Giselle cautioned once she was satisfied with Winter's attire, disregarding Jeno's remark. Winter patted her scarf and returned to clinging to Karina.

 

"Do you like your scarf?" Karina asked, but Winter averted her gaze. Jeno seized the opportunity to tease the wraith.

 

"Aw, she's getting shy. It's like we're babysitting a wraith."

 

Their mission was to gather wood from the nearby forest, and if lucky, some fruits and herbs. They needed as many resources as possible for their fireplace, as the books in the library might not suffice for the entire winter. Jeno's experience camping with his parents as a child proved invaluable, aiding them in their task. The library, situated far from downtown, offered convenient access to the forest and river. Gathering food was challenging due to the thick snow obstructing the roads, forcing them to rely on what they could find.

 

Nevertheless, they pressed on.

 

It was originally Ningning's turn to gather supplies with Yuna, but Ningning had fallen sick and was yet to recover. Thus, Karina volunteered, with Yuna staying behind since Winter insisted on joining.

 

"Ready to go?" Mark asked, adjusting his bag. Mark and Jeno armed themselves with bow and arrow from the sports center, while Karina wielded her katana, a skill she was honing thanks to Jaemin's guidance. Winter, on the other hand, relied on her wraith strength.

 

The group had secured a collection of makeshift weapons for self-defense, including baseball bats, golf clubs, the bow and arrow, and combat knives.

 

With a farewell wave to Giselle, Jeno even coaxed Winter into waving, eliciting a chuckle from Karina. They set off for the forest, cautiously scanning their surroundings for lurking dangers—whether wraiths or raiders. The forest was only a fifteen-minute walk from the library, yet it held its own share of potential hazards.

 

As they ventured into the forest, Jeno signaled for the group to halt. They crouched behind a tree, following Jeno's lead as he seemed to have spotted something.

 

"Aren't we lucky?" Jeno whispered, his voice filled with excitement. "Look, a baby deer."

 

"Where? I can't see man." Mark asked, scanning the area in search of the elusive creature. Jeno redirected Mark's gaze towards the deer, finally allowing him to spot it.

 

"What's the plan? It's too far." Mark questioned, his confidence in his archery skills wavering.

 

"Are we really going to kill it?" Karina asked, her heart going out to the lost fawn. Jeno hesitated before replying.

 

"We need to survive,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter