all that's left of love

To Lose Everything

There she was, gazing out to the landscape, sending chills of nostalgia down my spine. I quickly pulled my burnt out car next to her own sleek hatchback. For a moment, I paused, wondering where and when she had gotten it. But my attention was focused again on the figure before me, her hair tugged by the vicious wind around us on the cliff top.

I knew she would hear my engine from far away, the slam of the car door and my cautious footsteps as I walked towards her, but still she faced away from me. Still, I was alone. I could see my fingers shake as I reached out to hug her from behind and finally, she turned.

She turned to me, her face strangely blank and she pushed me away. And with that one single fluid motion of her shrugging me off made me forget what I had planned to say. All I could manage was a weak smile that soon faded.

“Yonggie...”

It was the merest flinch but that was enough to drive an ice cold shaft into my heart. Her eyes were black orbs that bored into mine, full of regret and a hint of sadness.

“Yonggie.”

She pulled her hand from my grasp and looked away, her hair a dark tangle around her pale face.

“Joon - no, Changsun. Don’t. Please.”

It was a roaring wind that filled my ears and still the echoes of her quiet whisper resonated within me. I let out the breath I hadn’t realised I was holding, my hand curling into a fist, the nails biting into my skin. The pain was nothing compared to the heart.


“S- Sunyoung. What are you saying?” Why are you saying this? Did I do something wrong? Why did we fall apart? I can’t endure it. Please.

But all the questions remained unspoken, buried inside, killing me. I knew she didn’t want to hear it. I knew we were too far apart. But still, I tried. My fingers found their way into her palm again and this time she didn’t move. A quick intake of breath and she turned to face me. Her eyes were moist.

“I’m saying...that this,” and she lifted our entwined fingers and slowly drew her own away leaving mine to clutch at empty air, “is over.”

She paused, almost as if wondering how to voice everything out between us, but she only decided on one single word.

“Goodbye.”

One word, nothing compared to the sea of unspoken thoughts between us. One word that ended everything we could possibly have had. One word that left me lost in a tangle of loss and of complete emptiness. I never would have thought that it could have happened.

But before she left, “I’m sorry.”

And her voice broke with a barely contained sob. It didn’t make sense. Somehow, I knew it didn’t have to. Love was something that controlled you body and mind and she had severed it.

My eyes focused and unfocused on the dusty ground below me even while I heard her footsteps leave me. Turn around, Sunyoung, run back. Come back to me. Come back and say this was all a terrible mistake. Come back and make me alive again. Without you I’m nothing.

I trusted you.

The car door slammed and it’s only a moment before the quiet engine revved up. It’s only then my body catches up with my thoughts and I turned around. My legs sprinted to that cold blue hatchback just to see it leaving, speeding away in a cloud of dust.

My screams of her name were lost in the expanse between us. My heart was lost in the nothingness that separated us. I had nothing left.
With a jarring thud, my knees hit the ground but my fist slammed into it, skin instantly splitting over the white knuckles. Blood ran into the ground below me but still, i felt nothing. Numb. I was devoid of feeling.

She had taken everything away.