Five

Merry Ex-Mas and a Happy End of the World

 

“I’ll come with you, wherever you go”

It was something that twenty-something year old Jung Eunji used to tell him. Having been raised by overprotective parents in a sheltered lifestyle, the only opportunity Eunji got to be out and about was when she was with him. Because his parents fell ill often, Sunggyu had to travel back home several times a month. When they were still friends, Sunggyu let her accompany him to visit his mum who urged him to take her to see around Jeonju city. The next time they visited, they were two people very much in love but hadn’t admitted it to each other, feelings that were obvious enough to everyone else but them. It was also in Jeonju that Sunggyu finally confessed his love for her, held her hand on the edge of the lake as snow descended and melted on their skin. When Sunggyu asked her one time why she always went to Jeonju with him every time he visited his parents, that’s what Eunji told him. I’ll come with you wherever you go.

When Sung Gyu decided to take up the position offered by ROKA set in an infantry hundreds of miles away, he knew that she would have followed him there, even if it was to the end of the world. The offer came a little before he joined her at her parents’ law firm, just as he left college. Sung Gyu knew ROKA would pay him a lot more that Jung & Kim did, and would ensure his job security so much more than a position acquired through special connections. But for the first time in his life, Sung Gyu followed Eunji and chose his fate, because he knew she would have done that for him in a heartbeat.

It was also out of this love and loyalty for her that he did what he did five years ago. Fate would have been different for Eunji had he not done it back then. He would never have gotten to see her here tonight or ever again. She would have been miles and miles away, in a distant he’d never be able to cross. Sung Gyu knew, even now the crevice between them was too wide and too vast. But at least he could see her, he could love her. It was more than enough.

For Eunji who was seeing Sung Gyu for the first time in five years, he realised, he couldn’t say the same.

Standing in the middle of the darkened room, Eunji was both a blessing and a barricade. Sung gyu couldn’t shoot Lee Jae Hyun right in front of her eyes. But at the same time, she had him distracted enough for Sung Gyu to make a move.

“Eunji?” Called Jaehyun. There was no surprise in his voice. Just perturbance. It was as if it wasn’t the first time she had done this to him. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“I was looking for you” Eunji breathed. But Sung Gyu could tell that her eyes weren’t exactly staying set on the other. “I just followed you”

“Followed me?” Jaehyun echoed incredulously. “For what?”

“I thought you needed help”

“With what, exactly, Eunji-ah?” As Sung Gyu watched him from the shadows, the gun gripped in his hand. Jaehyun took a stride towards her. “I’ve told you enough times, haven’t I?”

Sung Gyu’s eyes traced the way Jaehyun fisted his hand, the one that held the small gun with the vial.

“I hate it when my woman annoys me…”

Eunji took a step backwards. Lee Jaehyun gave her a smile.

“Just like you do now, Jung Eunji”

He was a sick bastard. Sung Gyu had more than one reason to want to kill him. Without a second thought, Sung Gyu raised his pistol, aimed the gun right at his shoe and pulled the trigger.

The sound was just a hiss in the dark, but the impact was louder when the ground broke. The bullet missed the target because Jaehyun moved, turned to his direction, and even though Sung Gyu was in the dark, Jaehyun seemed to meet his eyes.

Hyung, what the is happening there?” Howon called in his earpiece, which Sung Gyu had to ignore, because Sung Gyu had an inkling as to exactly what was happening now.

Jaehyun’s sinister smile seemed to give him the answer. It was obvious as the sun.

“Come out, you cowardly bastard!”

Sung Gyu stepped into the light, yet his confidence was wavering, caught completely off guard. He raised his gun to Jaehyun’s head, nonetheless, steady and strong. But Sung Gyu’s heart kept pounding in his ear.

“Ha! Look what the cat’s brought to the party”

Sung Gyu reached out and loaded the gun once more. Those eyes, the dark, psychopathic eyes. They knew Kim Sung gyu by the stature and his face.

“It’s the angel of death!” Jaehyun spat like the words were sour in his mouth. “How tough it’s been to meet you!”

Sung Gyu felt Eunji’s eyes fall on him. Eunji, who knew nothing, Eunji, for whom he was just a love from a her past.

“I figured trying to get appointments with you is useless” Jaehyun turned around and slipped the small gadget into his pocket. “So I figured I’d just set a trap for you myself”

“What’s….going on here?” Jung Eunji voiced, finally bringing herself into the one sided conversation. “How…do you know him?”

“ROKA” Sung Gyu answered for her, his gun still raised at the man, aiming his head. “Thought you left the army for better things, Lee Jaehyun-Ssi” He cocked his head, raising his brows challengingly. “What happened to that, now, hm?”

Jaehyun burst out in laughter, the kind of laughter you’d only see from brutal villains on TV and films. “You’re not exactly a saint now, are you?”

Sung gyu kept quiet. Back when Sung Gyu acquainted with Jaehyun in the army, he was a former lieutenant who had offered to volunteer in the legal advisory committee out of loyalty for his infantry. The Hawks recruitments hadn’t even started back then. But there was nobody in the STF who didn’t know that, when the Hawk unit would be finally formed, Sung Gyu was on top of the candidates list to be a part of it.

So there was no wonder that Jaehyun knew who he was, what he did. As much as the unit tried to keep information just among themselves, moles always happened, and they often seemed to reach the bad guy.

“Eunji, do you know what he does now?” Jaehyun was now addressing her, not hiding the spite in his voice. Jaehyun returned his eyes back to him. “Angel of death, they call him. The best assassin of the Special Tasks Force” 

Sung gyu could catch the sense of envy in his voice. Jaehyun always hated it that he was just weak. His arms were frail, his body wasn’t strong. His height wasn’t exactly the STF standard, and his aim was also . Jaehyun still had the brain and the motivation to continue in the laboratory work that he did, until the man simply lost his sense of morality as his ego overpowered it all.

Jaehyun spit the ground in his direction. Sung Gyu tightened his grip on the gun. 

“Pompuous . Say it as it is! You kill people, that’s what you do”

“Careful with what you say, Lee Jaehyun-Ssi” Sung Gyu took a cautious step to the side. “You might even…provoke me”

He had to kill Jaehyun who still had the weapon in his possession. But at the same time, he had to save her. For that, he had to get to the door.

Eunji was scared and confused. Sung Gyu could tell he’d have a lot of explaining to do. She looked at him almost desperate, then back at the other.

“He’s a killer, Eunji. A serial killer. He kills for the ing government. And he’s here to kill me!”

Sung Gyu lowered the gun, took his aim, and shot at Jaehyun, barely missing his left ribcage but close enough to bruise his skin.

“!”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you”

If he calculated right, Sung Gyu had exactly twenty three seconds before Jaehyun reacted and aimed his killer weapon at either of them. He had to act fast. 

In record speed, Sung Gyu reached for Eunji’s hand and scrambled for the door. The last thing they heard before it was shut close was Jaehyun’s wild scream, and soon they were out in the snow laden car park, struggling to catch their breath.

“What…the just happened?”

“We have no time” Sung Gyu muttered, looking for the closest, heaviest thing he could find. There was a roll of snow encrusted wires thrown under a bunch of broken chairs and gym gear. He reached for the wires and started to wrap that around the door knob.

“He could come the other way around, you know”

“I do” Sung Gyu gasped as he made the short distance to the nearest light pole and wrapped the rest of the wire around it. Then he pushed the rusty old gym\ gear against the door.

“That’s why we got to run, Eunji, come on”

 

Running with a high-healed woman was no easy feat, but they managed to go far enough until she couldn’t do it anymore. The two stopped just a few feet away from the entrance where Eunji finally collapsed onto a nearby bench, struggling to catch her breath.

“You okay?”

She nodded, nodded and nodded, not sparing a glance in his direction. He wasn’t sure when she’d come out, whether it was really Jaehyun that she had followed to get there. She wasn’t even prepared for the minus degrees outside let alone for any running in that weather. Sung Gyu didn’t think, at any point, that he would be doing this tonight. But he felt like he had to.

He pulled off his winter jacket and laid it around her shoulders. Then he stood back, a foot away from her, his hands buried in his pockets. He knew that the pounding of his heart wasn’t because of the adrenaline, nor was it because he had just run. Sung Gyu was a soldier; his body was built with the strength of one. The reason for his breathlessness, the senseless beating of his heart was sitting right beside him after a twist of fate he’d never imagined.

“What about you?” Eunji asked him. There was not a word yet about what she’d heard back there. In her eyes was the glint of concern he was not unfamiliar with. 

Sung Gyu shrugged, shaking his head.

Eunji scoffed. “You really are a soldier now”

He took a sharp breath and looked away from her. “You shouldn’t have followed him”

“Why not?” She perked up, pulling the lapels of the jacket around her.

“Because its dangerous…he’s dangerous”

“I know” Eunji let out a heavy sigh as if it was nothing new for her. 

“Then why did you?”

A hesitant moment as he watched her gazing at the slowly descending snow. A small, playful smile crossed her lips.

“I wasn’t following him” Eunji raised her head up to see him. “I was following you

Her words had a deep sense of cognisance, as if he was starting a journey back into his past whenever he was around her. Her voice was etched into his mind like an old song, her smile in different ways a gallery full of carefully preserved photographs. Whenever she said something with resounding familiarity, something rang a bell; a moment, a memory, a recollection. In that moment, he was strongly hit with one of them.

Sung Gyu couldn’t help the smile that raised to his lips. He fought it, hid it with a cough. Eunji saw it, nevertheless that she smiled along with him.

“You haven’t changed a bit, you know that?” 

He dropped his gaze down to her, who was smiling, gazing at somewhere beyond them. A memory perhaps, something that he was too scared to recall.

“You act all tough and manly all the time” She shook her head, on her lips a tender smile. “But you’re really not all that”

Sung Gyu felt heat raising up from his chest, spread across his skin. It really wasn’t the time for this. But he felt like his whole world was blossoming like fireworks.

He cleared his throat, desperate to bring her back to the problem at hand. 

“Well um….” He rubbed a hand over his nose. “Are you better now? Because its minus one degrees out here, and we’ve got to run before the guy I’m here to kill, kills me”

Completely unfazed by this, Jung Eunji stood up and slipped her arms into the sleeves of his winter coat. “Okay, take me with you. I’ll come wherever you go”

 

Recounting everything that happened back to Jieun and Howon was a complete nightmare. Jieun certainly wasn’t taking it well, if her unstoppable sobbing didn’t indicate her mental state. On the other hand, there was Howon losing his mind over a very crucial detail he’d missed.

“So you’re telling me that Lee Jaehyun intentionally lay out a trap to lure you to him?”

“That’s what I gathered” Sung Gyu nodded and sat back on the bench, leaning against the wall. To his left, Jung Eunji was seated in the dark, quietly rubbing her sore ankles as the soft white lights seeping from outside created ripples on her skin. Unreal. It was still hard for him to believe. Never in the life of him did he imagine seeing Jung Eunji like this.

“How did I miss that, how did I not think it through?” Howon was still whining over the earpiece.

“Relax, Howon-Ssi, I wouldn’t have guessed it either” Sung Gyu pressed a hand to his head. Funny how the last mission he agreed to was a mission that was set up to trap him. 

“But why?” Jieun was outraged. “I thought you didn’t know the guy”

“I didn’t” Sung Gyu agreed. “But he knew me

When Sung Gyu glanced at Eunji, eager to catch the sight of her rubbing her ankle in the night light, what he found was her carefully watching him. 

“Hyung’s right” Howon returned agreeingly. “I remember dude was the runt in the group. He was bright, but he lacked in a lot of things”

“He had a aim” Sung Gyu let his mind speak for him. Eunji snorted beside him and he really wanted to reach out and take her hand.

“Don’t test your luck too much, Sung Gyu. His aim might be bad, but he might have good reflexes”

Which he had to agree, seeing how he easily missed the one shot at his foot.

“Hyung was the best shooter in the whole infantry, back then” Howon went on, recalling their army days. “And he came back to make it into the Hawks unit. Dude probably kept that grudge”

“For that long?” Jieun echoed as if it sounded ridiculous. Or probably it did.

“Not only that” Sung Gyu added, remembering now. “When we were testing RJ71, he was dead set on making it a contagion”

“That man was losing his sense of purpose” Howon chipped in. “We were thinking in the line of a biological weapon, for him it was biological warfare”

Sung Gyu could clearly recall how the unit was beginning to split into camps. The moment the first trials of RJ71 came out, discussions went around the infantry about how the weapon would be used. The whole purpose of RJ71 was to make execution for the wrong a little more humane. RJ71 involved no injuries, little pain, while also providing time for the victim to seek safety. There was no cure to what the chemical did to the human body. But at least the oncoming death would be less brutal, although inevitable. And most importantly, it aimed at individuals. For Jaehyun, and the people of that camp wanted numbers, large numbers of casualties. For them, that’s what success meant.

And when Sung Gyu think about now, its probably what he aimed for, with whatever the chemical he’d developed now.

“Jaehyun’s not going to take down only me” Sung Gyu tried to bring the conversation back to the important things. “He’s aiming numbers. I’m pretty sure, whatever he has now is a contagion”

“Did you see it?” Howon asked. Sung Gyu nodded stiffly and glanced at Eunji who was still watching him.

“It’s just one vial” He told them. “And a gun. A vial gun”

Howon took a sharp breath. Jieun, on the other hand, was a ticking bomb. “That sounds like a nightmare” She said, her voice small and quiet. “Leave it and come home, Sung Gyu”

“Just keep us posted” Howon added in an end note. “And don’t keep us on mute, you punk”

Although he promised that he wouldn’t, Sung Gyu did exactly that. He muted the two of them and also muted the mic on his head. He slipped off the bench, crouched down on the ground and proceeded to pull his container of guns from underneath.

For the time being, the two of them were in the gym, securely locked up. But that wouldn’t be for too long. Sung Gyu had to know what his guy was now up to. In order to keep a close eye on him, he had to set on him a tracking device. At the same time, he had to do something to keep Eunji safe while she was with him.

“Who were you talking to?” She asked out of interest. When he glanced up at her, she pursed her lips. “Or is that classified information?”

Sung Gyu smiled. “Pretty sure you heard a lot of classified information while you were sitting here”

“I don’t understand head or tales of it”

He couldn’t help the chuckle that broke through him. With a grunt, he cracked open his carrier. It was with a lot of thought that he answered. “That was my boss”

“I see” She smiled. “I assumed you would have one”

“I have a lot” 

Inside his gun carrier, the top cover had a small pocket where he kept all his other important things. It took a bit of searching for him to locate the small boxes he was looking for, which he carefully deposited into his jacket pocket. 

“Is that yours?”

“Hm?”

“The gun” Eunji gestured at the box. 

“Hm” Sung Gyu nodded stiffly, without saying another word. For greater measure, he locked the container and slid it back under the bench. For some reason, hearing the truth about Jaehyun’s plans were ringing red sirens for him. Howon’s gotten it wrong, Sung Gyu couldn’t have even guessed it. At the same time, he was sitting here, blindly trusting Jung Eunji because he loved her. He loved her so much that he’d begun to forget that he didn’t know her for five whole years, during which time she’d been dating Lee Jaehyun.

Who was also planning to kill him.

“I think I better dash now” He said, glancing at his watch, then he turned to her. “And you should better get home, Eunji. Its not safe here”

Eunji nodded. But her eyes continued to be set on him. She was watching him, cautiously, but at the same time in the dreamy stance that he remembered from her. He may have been mistaken, but he thought he saw a teary gleam in her eyes.

“Are you okay?” He asked her out of concern. “You must be shocked, It must a be a lot to take in. I can call a taxi for you-,”

“Sung Gyu oppa…” Eunji called. 

He moved closer to her. He was drowning in worries; towards her, towards himself, towards everything. With his confused, muddled mind, Sung Gyu couldn’t exactly register what was happening. He had so little energy to discern that. When Eunji climbed up to her feet, Sung Gyu froze where he stood. His hands clenched to his sides. His eyes were wide open when she stepped towards him, closed that inches of a gap, bringing herself the closest she could be. Her hands raised up to him, cupped his face, and soon, she was kissing him on his lips. 

The simple touch was enough to drag him three years back into the past. It was snowing just like tonight on the day that Sung Gyu first kissed her. He could still recall the cold snow melting on her lips, the taste of coffee and christmas cake, the scent of lavender in her hair. The sound of boat engines in the distant, the skin biting cold of Jeonju air coming from the lake. She’s here to stay. Sung Gyu’s mother had told him that. Don’t let her go. 

Three years down the line, Sunggyu did to her exactly that. He disappeared from her world, cut her off from his own. Five years later, here they were, Eunji kissing him, slowly, tenderly, as if the responsibility to fix the burning bridges was hers and hers alone.

When she finally moved away from him, Sung Gyu was breathing hard. Not even toughest of his murder assignments had done this to him before. Eunji’s hands remained on him, slowly caressing his face, touching his lips. And there were tears descending down her cheeks.

Sung Gyu couldn’t find a word to say. But Eunji filled the quietness for him.

“You know how long I’ve waited for this?” A quiet whisper, but loud enough in this proximity. “Five years, oppa. Five years…you must be crazy to think that I will leave you now”

Hesitant at first, Sung Gyu let his heart take over his mind. His hand reached for hers, threading his fingers through hers as he fluttered his eyes close, leaning his forehead against hers. It was true, you could run away as far as you could go. But once you return home, it's only where you want to be. And that’s what Jung Eunji was for him. She was his home.

“Let me stay here with you, oppa…I lost you once, I can’t lose you again”

“You won’t” Sung Gyu finally moved away from her, shaking his head. “I’ll come back and see you”

“Oppa…”

“You should leave”

With a deep breath, Sung Gyu took a step back from her. Then another. He reached for his phone, prepared to ask Jieun to call for a taxi for her so he could safely send her back home. But Eunji reached over and covered his hand with hers. 

“Oppa wait”

Sung Gyu looked up. Her eyes, carrying something grave and mysterious, set on him.

“Listen…I think there’s something that you should know” She started. There was a second of hesitance, silent contemplation until Sung Gyu slowly grasped her hand. 

“First of all…oppa, I swear to you, cross my heart, I didn’t know anything about what Jaehyun oppa had planned”

“Okay…” Sung Gyu answered slowly and nodded. 

“But I can tell you that…it’s probably got something to do with me”

Sung gyu stared at her, absorbing her words, trying to make sense of it. “What do you mean?”

Eunji pursed her lips, gazing up at him. “After you…disappeared, I was searching for you, moon and back. You know this, right?”

He nodded. He didn’t think about it, but he assumed she would.

“I knew Jaehyun from college because he asked me out once. At that time, although I wasn’t going out with you, I liked you very much. I rejected him and chose you over him. But I guess, even though I didn’t notice, Jaehyun probably had his eyes on me the whole time. He knew you were the reason why I rejected him. He probably wasn’t too happy about that”

Sung Gyu squeezed her hand in his. “Why didn’t you tell me this before?”

“I didn’t think it was a big deal” She shrugged. “And honestly I didn’t realise…he might still be following me”

The next question he had, created a cottony stiffness in his throat. He voiced it out, anyway. Because he had to know. 

“Then how did…” He sighed. His heart felt heavy even at the thought of it. “How did you start going out with him?”

There was a small, sullen smile on her lips. “Jaehyun reached me first. He came to where I work…” Her eyes lifted to his. “I own a cafe now. I would love to have you there”

I’ve been there almost every single day, Eunji. Sung Gyu wanted to tell her, hug her warmly and caress her hair. I’m so proud of how far you’ve come. 

But at the same time he was angry at himself. He’d been going to the cafe since the day it opened, and yet he had been a cowardly fool that hadn’t the courage that a sneaky, psychopathic stalker did. Sung Gyu could have reached her before him, he could have told her the truth, seeked for forgiveness, found solace-,

“He visited a few times…and I…” Eunji sobbed once, twice, raising her eyes heavenwards. “Oppa, I was really lonely back then. And I missed you so much but you weren’t coming to me. So I latched onto the only other person who reached me”

Helpless and completely muted by her confession, all that Sung Gyu could do was grasp her hands. Eunji didn’t stop there. As she spoke, tears started welling in her eyes.

“Jaehyun is a bad man. He’s horrid. And he doesn’t love me,”

Sung Gyu opened his mouth to say something, anything. Yet, she just beat it to him.

“I was planning to leave him. For months, I was seeing a therapist, talking about how to escape him…until one day, I came across some of his old, discarded documents. In there, I saw your name. He’d been working with you at some point, I realised. So I figured, if I stayed with him, I will be able to find you”

“Eunji…” 

She sobbed quietly and rubbed her nose with the back of her hand. “I was getting desperate. We got into a lot of arguments, and I intentionally mentioned you. I told him about how well you treated me, how you never hurt me…I was just getting desperate…I just wanted to find you, and I thought doing that would somehow help me” A deep sigh, and… “I didn’t think he would plan to…”

Kill you. Sung Gyu finished her words for her. It made little sense to him. At the same time, a lot of sense. He knew Eunji’s persuasion couldn’t have directly contributed to Jaehyun’s doing. But it certainly would have fueled it. Sung Gyu was in the upfront when they argued against their weapon becoming a contagion, and he was also an active force behind Jaehyun’s dismissal. After all of that, he was certain Jaehyun continued to follow up on what was happening inside the infantry. He would have had someone providing insider information, and one thing that would have stood out is Sung Gyu’s recruitment into the Hawks and his prominence in the unit, not only as a sniper, but also with how he handled the chemical that Jaehyun was in the fore-front, creating it. Sung Gyu was the one who opposed the villain, only to become a villain himself. He was pretty sure, the chemical Jaehyun developed in his makeshift lab in Chungbuk wasn’t meant to end the world. Rather, it was to attack the Special Tasks Force, and the first and foremost target that he could easily lure, and probably wanted to lure was him.

Sung Gyu reached out and tenderly took her face in his hands. Oh, how much he yearned to do this? He was doing it now.

“Listen” Sung Gyu started, caressing her cheek with his thumb. “I’m sorry…for everything I did…I know words can’t change anything that happened, anything I caused and did to you. But I’m sorry, I truly, truly am”

Eunji nodded quietly, her glimmering eyes not once leaving his. 

“But I also want you to know that you did nothing wrong. Jaehyun planning to do what he’s doing, it has nothing to do with you. It’s all about me, and I…” He hated that he had to say it. “Eunji, I’ve been hired to stop him. I’m trained for this, and honestly I’m good at what I do…so I promise you now, I will stop him. And I will protect you too”

“I wouldn’t doubt that for a second” Eunji smiled, shaking her head.

Sung Gyu smiled back, leaned forward, and with a heavily pounding heart, he placed a small kiss on the corner of her lips.

“Now,” He moved to pull out his phone again. “I’ll get a taxi for you, send you somewhere safer-,”

“No please” Eunji called and caught his arms again. “Let me stay here with you”

“Eunji…” He muttered. Yet he knew her, he understood her. Eunji wouldn’t be able to leave and stay put wherever she was, when she had left her heart behind with him.

“I’ll help you…I’ll do whatever I can. I just got you back, oppa. I can’t imagine staying away from you now”

He contemplated for a second, the heavy weight of that responsibility. And also the reassurance that he had a team; he wasn’t here on his own. Sung Gyu could protect her. He had the equipment and the ability to do so. More than that, the sheer motivation, because he still loved her maybe even more so than he did before.

“Okay” He finally yielded. “You can stay”

Sung Gyu had to strategise, first. Make a better plan. The circumstances have changed completely for him. What he had to prepare now was so much more. The first thing he did, therefore, was properly equipping her. From his gun carrier, Sung Gyu pulled out the Smith and Wesson. Inside the box was an ankle strap, one that could hold a dagger or a lightweight pistol.

“Now” He crouched down on the ground next to Eunji who was seated on the bench. He held up the pistol. “This is a Smith and Wesson. Its a simple pistol that anyone can use”

Eunji looked completely mystified. And adorable. Sung Gyu sat back on the bench to demonstrate the gun for her.

“I have a silencer put on this, so it wouldn’t make a lot of sound. But there’s going to be a backward pressure for first time users” He glanced down at her. “Have you ever used a gun before?”

“Just the ones with water”

“This won’t be that hard, then” Sung Gyu smiled and handed the pistol to her.

“You need both your hands as its your first time”

“Okay” Eunji held the gun in both hands

Running his fingers across her arms, he carefully placed them in the correct formation

“It’s an automatic, so the bullets load by itself. All you have to do is-” He placed her finger on the trigger. “Pull it once, and pull it hard when you want to shoot”

Sung Gyu felt bad to have given her a sudden crash course on gun use, especially seeing how much her arms trembled even as she held it. He prayed to god she’d never have to use it as he carefully took it from her. The he crouched down on the ground once more.

“I’m going to strap it to your ankle” He looked up and smiled. “Like a spy”

“That sounds fun” Eunji lifted her skirt and presented her right ankle to him. Gently and carefully, Sung gyu tightened the strap around her foot. He placed the pistol in the holder and tested it to see if the strap is fastened right, if the gun came off easily enough, before he climbed back up on his feet. Then he took out one of the small boxes from his pocket.

“This is a tracker”

Eunji carefully examined the equipment in his hand and laughed,

“You really are a spy now”

Sung Gyu took out the tracking device with nimble hands. 

“I’m going to put this on you. Don’t worry, this is just for me to see where you are, okay?”

“Alright”

Sung Gyu nodded and gently pushed her hair behind, revealing the back of her dress. He fastened the tracker onto the smooth, warm silk, his fingers grazing her skin. When he turned it on, his phone buzzed in his pocket. Jung Eunji was connected to him. Sung Gyu reached out and took her hand.

“Okay, now, Eunji-ah, here’s the plan…”