Chapter Two

Better Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dull glow of the streetlights cast shadows across Dahyun's face as she sat alone in her parked car. The night was calm, and Sana's workplace loomed right in front of her. She looked at her watch, knowing that Sana would be coming out shortly.

 

As she waited, remnants of their past conversations echoed in her head, each word stabbing into her with a sharpness that refused to fade.

 

 

"Dahyun, we almost lost Kylo. Do you even understand that?"

 

"What would have happened if Seungcheol hadn't been there, if he hadn't saved him?"

 

"You left him, Dahyun. You left him in that burning house, and for what?"

 

"A moment of escape, of recklessness. Do you even realize what you've done?"

 

"I can't trust you, Dahyun. Not after what happened."

 

"You put our son in danger, and I can't forget that."

 

"I won't forget that."

 

Dahyun looked through the windshield as these words replayed in her head and noticed the building's entrance. Her heartbeat quickened as she spotted Sana, accompanied by a tall man.

 

Did she completely replace me? Is she now seeing someone else?

 

The man walked away, leaving Sana alone at the entrance. She took out her phone and appeared to be messaging someone. Dahyun hesitated in her car, her hands gripping the steering wheel.

 

Sana's fingers tapped on the screen as she texted Chaeyoung to let her know she was leaving work and heading home. When she saw a picture of Kylo happily munching on cookies, she cracked a little smile.

 

But her focus switched from her phone to her surroundings. It is because she sensed someone approaching and, to her dismay, it was the last person she wanted to see on such a tiring day like this.

 

Her smile faded, giving way to a wary frown.

 

Dahyun said softly, "Good evening," but Sana remained mute, avoiding eye contact and showing no sign of recognition. Dahyun took a deep breath and gathered the strength to speak.

 

"Sana, we need to talk," she replied gently but firmly.

 

The other woman turned away from the conversation, preparing to descend the stairs down to the road. However, as she began to leave, the night sky broke in tremendous rain. It was a torrential downpour, as though the heavens had opened up.

 

Sana, just as stubborn as usual, cursed under her breath, an exasperated "Ah, it" escaping her lips. The rain quickly soaked her, the droplets adhering to her hair and clothes.

 

Dahyun, scratching her chin, had no choice but to follow Sana in the pouring rain. Sana's steps sped up, her determination visible as she attempted to avoid the conversation. Dahyun, on the other hand, kept up with her.

 

"Please, Sana, just listen for a moment," Dahyun urged, her voice barely heard above the pounding rain.

 

But Sana kept going, her shoulders stiff and her face set in an angry disposition. The other woman, becoming increasingly irritated and frantic, exclaimed, "Stop walking, or I'll ing snatch you and take you home with me!"

 

Sana was caught off guard by the threat. She came to a halt and turned to face Dahyun. Their visibility was limited due to the rain, but the tension between them was apparent.

 

Raindrops streamed down Sana's face as she mocked, "So that's how it'll be? Did you turn into a kidnapper now?"

 

"I might as well have," Dahyun answered, equally soaked and irritated, "what else can I do? I miss you so much, Sana."

 

The other woman sneered, almost as if she couldn't believe what she had just heard. "Unbelievable," she mumbled, rains mingling with her rage. She glanced at Dahyun, looking disappointed. "What am I supposed to feel when you say words like that? Should I blush? Do you think those words would turn everything in your favor? Do you think I'll suddenly forgive you because you say you miss me? Does it even cross your mind that such words aren't what I want to hear from you?"

 

"What was I supposed to say then, Sana? Lie to you? This is the truth. I miss you, and I don't know how else to express it."

 

"Express what? Dahyun, you disappeared. You think... do you think everything is that simple?"

 

Rainwater dripped down Dahyun's chin as her jaw tightened. "No, it's not that simple. I know I screwed up, and I know I can't reverse what happened, but I'm here now, and I want to make things right. I want to be a part of Kylo's life again, and I want to be with you."

 

"Then what about what I want? What if you coming back to us isn't what I want? How about that?" Sana shot back.

 

"Sana, please. I love you... and I love Kylo, and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to regain your trust."

 

"Do you realize how much you shattered that trust? Kylo had surgeries, rehabilitation, and countless nights of suffering because you were irresponsible. You can't just fix that with a few words in the ing rain."

 

"I just... I want a chance to prove to both of you that I can be there for you and make up for the time I lost."

 

"You lost more than just time, Dahyun. You lost the right to walk back into our lives."

 

Dahyun's annoyance grew when Sana turned away to continue walking. "What about Kylo?" she yelled above the rain. "I'll respect that you don't want me back, Sana, if that's actually the truth in your heart. But what about what Kylo wants? Shouldn't he be the one to decide for himself? If he tells me he wants me gone, then I'll go without a fuss."

 

The other woman halted in her tracks, her back still turned to Dahyun.

 

"Don't you think our little boy deserves to have both of his parents in his life, Sana? Can't we at least think about what's best for him?"

 

"After all, I am Kylo's parent, too," Dahyun said, her voice carrying over the rain. "But I never got the opportunity to be one. I can't... I can't sit still, knowing I want to be there for him but can't because you won't let me."

 

"I am his parent too," she repeated earnestly, rains dripping from her hair, "but I don't want to stop at having that title. I want to be a real parent, someone who's there as he grows up. I want to be a good one. And... and I'm begging you, please, please allow me."

 

"If I can no longer have a wife... then can I at least still have a son?" Dahyun asked, her words laden with the ache of unfulfilled longing. "I understand if you can't find it in your heart to forgive me or welcome me back into your life, but Kylo... Can I be a part of his life, watch him grow, be there for him? I know I messed up, but I want to make amends where I can."

 

"I promise you, Sana, I can protect him now. That night... that night would be the first and last time he got hurt because of me, and I swear on everything... on my life... that nothing will happen to him again."

 

 

"And what did you say?"

 

Sana sighed, her gaze fixed on her tea, as if looking for answers. "I couldn't say anything. What she said made sense. Kylo has the right to make his own decisions. Maybe... maybe I should talk to him first."

 

Chaeyoung sipped her tea as she considered her friend's words. "You know Kylo better than anyone. He's been asking for Dahyun all this time, so chances are, he'd say yes to giving her a chance." She continued, "But, Sana, what about you? You've been through so much, and I've seen you make impulsive decisions that you regret later."

 

"Is this something you genuinely want? It's not just about making Kylo happy; it's also about your own well-being," Chaeyoung felt the need to add.

 

Sana shrugged, unable to express what she was feeling. "Look, I'm not Dahyun's biggest fan, but even I can tell that she wants to be a part of Kylo's life, so if it were up to me, I'd say give her a chance," the other woman persisted.

 

"But it's your decision, Sana. It should be something you want and feel comfortable with. So, ask yourself this: Will having Dahyun around be good for your mental he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter