Chapter One

Better Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun's eyes fluttered open, a mist of bewilderment obscuring her vision. The strong smell of smoke sliced through the fog, dragging her back into reality. Her head hammered when she sat up, the result of too much drinking. She looked around the murky room, disoriented, only to be met with a terrifying orange glow flickering on the walls.

 

"..." she grumbled, her voice a hoarse whisper. As she struggled to stand, panic set in, and the world spun around her. A fire alarm's piercing howl rang through the air, a sound she hadn't noticed in her drunken haze.

 

She staggered ahead, cursing herself as she navigated the increasingly dangerous surroundings of her own home. As she anxiously searched for an escape route, the heat increased and at her flesh. Smoke billowed from the raging blaze, making breathing difficult.

 

"Come on, Dahyun, pull yourself together," she chided herself, her words muddled as she fumbled with the doorknob. Finally, she pushed open the door, panting for the fresh air outside.

 

And then it hit her.

 

Her hazy thoughts focused, and her eyes widened as the realization hit her like a flash of lightning. "Kylo!" she yelled, the word escaping her lips in a frantic whisper. Her heart was racing, and her hands shook from terror.

 

She lurched backward, her gaze focused on Kylo's chamber window. The flames had taken hold, engulfing everything in their path with zeal. As sorrow and anxiety battled at her insides, tears welled up in her eyes.

 

"I have to get him," she exclaimed, her voice breaking with emotion. Dahyun looked back, her intentions clear, but the heat of the flames forced her to retreat.

 

"Dahyun, stay back! I'll get Kylo!"

 

Seungcheol's shout was still ringing in her ears, but her neighbors were closing in on her, their faces an unclear mess in her peripheral vision. The onslaught of comments and inquiries turned into a cacophony that whirled around her, making her dizzy and disoriented.

 

"Was that your son? What happened in there?"

 

"Are you okay? Where's your wife?"

 

"I heard there was a fire! How did it start?"

"Was it an electrical issue?"

"Why were you drinking so much?"

"How could you let this happen?"

 

"I... I..." gasped Dahyun, her voice barely audible above the noise around her. The bombardment of questions became more intense, leaving her exhausted and out of breath.

 

A collective sense of relief ran across the audience as Seungcheol stepped from the house, Kylo safe in his arms. Dahyun's gaze was fixed on her son, tears running down her cheeks. Her knees began to give way and she began to slump backward, the weight of shame threatening to engulf her.

 

She retreated from the scene, her steps shaky as she avoided the concerned looks and accusing whispers.

 

She couldn't face them—the neighbors, the questions, and the condemnation.

 

 

Dahyun jerked awake, her hair unkempt and a look of exhaustion on her face. Her eyes squinted against the strong fluorescent lights, and she became stupefied for one moment.

 

The unfinished script in front of her was a tribute to the long hours she had put into her job. Her position as a writer of screenplays for famous films, where she led a small but committed staff, was a far cry from the corporate magnate she once was. Dahyun had been forced to start over after her corporation went bankrupt three... almost four... years ago, rebuilding her life from the ground up.

 

The door creaked open while she was buried in contemplation, staring at the words on the screen. One of her team members, Seungkwan, peered inside, his eyes widening at the sight of Dahyun still sitting at her workstation.

 

"Oh, team leader, why are you still here? It's almost midnight," he said, his countenance alarmed.

 

Dahyun raised her head, her eyes tired yet resolute. "I'm just finishing up revisions," she said, her voice hoarse from exhaustion. "I guess I lost track of time."

 

Seungkwan took another step into the room, his gaze drawn to the strewn papers and the half-empty coffee cup. "You need to take care of yourself. You know... burning the midnight oil won't do you any good," he had to remind her.

 

"Hey, Seungkwan," she let out softly. "What brings you back here? I thought you'd gone home."

 

The man laughed and scratched the back of his head. "I actually forgot my flash drive. Movie night, you know? Gotta keep the girlfriend entertained," he explained.

 

The sound of her laughter echoed across the quiet workplace. "Must be lovely, I'm jealous," she teased, pushing back a strand of her hair from her face.

 

"Well, you know where to find us if you ever want to join; we're not exclusive." He returned his attention to Dahyun as he reached for his forgotten flash drive. "By the way, team leader, Christmas is right around the corner. Do you have any plans?"

 

Dahyun's smile faded, and she looked down at her cluttered desk. "None, really. Just another Christmas alone, I suppose."

"Why don't you try to see your son or wife?" he questioned, leaning against the doorframe.

 

"I would, Seungkwan, but Christmas isn't a day that can be ruined. Showing up would mean ruining everything for Sana and Kylo."

 

With a faint melancholy in her gaze, she brushed a finger over the edge of her desk. The weight of the past lingered in the air, and she was afraid to intrude on their holiday.

 

"I understand how difficult it is, but maybe they miss you as well; after all, Christmas is a time for family, right?"

 

"Maybe," she whispered.

 

Seungkwan moved closer after pushing off the doorframe. "I'm not saying it'll be easy, but you never know unless you try. Who knows for sure, team leader? Maybe this Christmas will be different."

 

"I just don't want to spoil their day, Seungkwan. They've moved on, and I'm not throwing a wrench in their plans."

 

"Just think about it first, okay?" he smiled for the last time before leaving Dahyun alone with her thoughts.

 

 

Sana and Chaeyoung sat on the living room couch, watching as Kylo roared and stomped around the room, completely absorbed in his fantasy dinosaur world.

 

"So, guess what?" Chaeyoung asked, a cheeky smirk on her lips. "There's this huge event coming up next week, and all these K-pop stars will be there, including Taemin, Jungkook, and Wonwoo! Handsome fellas, right?"

 

The other woman chuckled, her gaze split between her friend's excitement and Kylo's dinosaur antics. "That sounds like a huge thing. Hmm, what's the occasion?" she asked.

 

"It's a star-studded gathering with some of the industry's top personalities, including Wendy, Jennie, and IU," Chaeyoung said, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Of course, there will be actors and actresses, and it will be really cool."

 

"I'm sure it'll be exciting. So, are you going?"

 

"Well, yeah, I'm definitely going," Chaeyoung said as she turned to face Sana. "But, girl, you should come too. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to let loose and have some fun."

 

Sana's smile faded, leaving a shadow across her features. "You know I can't, Chaeyoung, not after what happened," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

 

"Sana... that was three years ago," Chaeyoung groaned, realizing the weight of her friend's thoughts. "I understand it, babes. I truly do, but you can't let one... just one negative incident define your entire life. When was the last time you had fun without thinking about everything else?"

 

The other woman shifted her gaze away from Kylo, who was now using a plushie as a makeshift microphone. "The la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter