Chapter 14- Veteran Advice

Project IZ*ONE III

The ride back to campus was rather uneventful. Eunbi managed to get her spy lens deactivated thanks to Sakura, but aside from that, everyone was just tired and needed some rest. There was a lot of information that needed to be processed, and it could wait until they were all back to safety.

"Chaeyeon and the others just got back. She asked how you were doing." Eunbi tells Sakura after ending a call, still occasionally rubbing her eyes. All it took to remove the lens was a simple touch from Sakura, but that didn't make it sting any less.

"Well, I'm still alive, right? That must count for something." The Japanese girl says with a sigh.

"Yah, you didn't have a choice. We'll stop KYB. Don't be too hard on yourself." Eunbi replies, sensing her friend's down mood.

Sakura had mentioned the model 5 androids she'd helped design, but as much as she wanted to say that she planted some secret failsafe they could exploit, she knew that wasn't the case. They'll be hard to beat, and the guilt was eating her up.

"Get some rest, Kkura. We can compare notes with Chaeyeon and the others later. They just came from the water plant after all." Eunbi says when Sakura doesn't respond. Her words, though, catch the tech-girl's attention.

"Wait, did you say a water plant?" She asks.

"Yeah, they brought Yujin there. Another long story." Eunbi replies with a nod. Sakura now thinks back to the email she'd seen at Chuncheon Robotics.

This might be the missing piece...

~~~~~

"Kkura, thank goodness you're safe!" Chaeyeon says the second Sakura and the others step off the van. She'd practically zipped over to hug the Japanese girl.

"Yeah, I'm glad you're okay too. I'm sorry for worrying you." Sakura replies.

"Nonsense, you're back and that's all that matters." Chaeyeon says. Though she was seen as a secondary leader figure in the group, Chaeyeon always acted differently around her girlfriend. She allowed herself to worry for Sakura instead of keeping the calm and dauntless disposition she had for the others during missions.

While this was happening, Eunbi had walked up to Yujin who she was seeing for the first time since the accident.

"Hey, unnie. I guess I took your advice a little too literally, huh?" The puppy says sheepishly.

"You had us all worried, that's for sure. Wonyoung never gave up on you though. She was one of the ones who was pushing to go to Jirisan as soon as possible." Eunbi replies, nodding at the aforementioned girl who was helping Yena bring Yuri to the infirmary.

Yujin follows the leader's gaze towards the bunny and stares longingly.

"Yeah... what would I do without her?" She mumbles to herself which gets a chuckle out of Eunbi.

"Okay, Romeo. Let's head to the war room already. There's a lot to talk about." She then says before walking ahead.

~~~~

"So, where do we start?" Eunbi asks when everyone was seated sans Yuri who was being tended to by Hongki and the other healers.

"How about the common thing that's shown up between almost all our missions? The water." Chaeyeon suggests.

"I agree. It's been popping up way too much to be a coincidence now." Sakura says. "Nako-chan, you said you downloaded information on it, right? Jirisan Spring Water? I want to compare it with mine."

"Wait, Jirisan Spring Water? Isn't that the brand you had a commercial for, Minjoo?" Chaewon asks when she recognizes the name.

"Yeah... when it was pitched to me, I didn't think much of it. Is it dangerous?" The brunette replies, suddenly feeling on edge.

"Well, if you look at Nako's data, it'll look normal, just your average mineral drinking water. When you look at the file I got though, they appear to be integrated with the androids." Sakura says before going on to explain the work she was forced to do by Dr. Han. She didn't get to see the full blueprint but was forced to create codes for a type of scanner that could be implanted into the android's eyes.

"So, you're saying that there's something in the water that can signal to the androids that you're a mutant? That's pretty huge." Hyewon guesses.

"Wait, unnie, me and the IVE girls drank a few bottles of that when we went to Jirisan. They were the only ones the store was selling. Are we going to be okay?" Wonyoung asks worriedly.

"We won't know for sure until we get our hands on a bottle. I feel like they would've mentioned something in this file though if they were meant to poison or kill mutants." Sakura says.

"I agree. I had a little chat with KYB before you girls showed up." Yena interjects. The normally bubbly personality was anything but that right now, and no one could blame her when Yuri was in bad condition. "He talked about how the androids would keep us under control. He also mentioned how he wanted to keep me around to keep powering his facilities. I have a feeling his intentions for mutants are to use them as tools for his companies."

The group goes silent at this information. It made sense for a greedy corporation like KYB's to have that mentality. Cutting costs would be easier with mutants in their control.

"Okay... moving on. About the androids themselves, Sakura mentioned how KYB has connections everywhere, meaning a lot more paper companies like the one we just visited that can develop the machines remotely. That means to beat them, we have to take them out at the source." Eunbi says to change the topic.

"So, KYB's main building then?" Yujin guesses.

"That's a good start, but I don't think we should make any big moves until we're sure of what we're dealing with. Let's figure out what's in the water first, and while we do that, let's get Chaewon looked at again." Eunbi replies, looking at the short-haired girl with those last words.

"Hmm? What's wrong with Chaewon? I heard from Chungha-unnie that you already got your memories back." Chaeyeon says.

"Wait, when'd Chaewon lose her memories?" Yujin and Yena ask at the same time. Eunbi realizes then that there's still a lot of information gaps that need to be filled.

"Long story, girls, but essentially, when I cloned myself during the missions... my copies' personalities were split. One was overly scared. Another was too angry. You get the idea." Chaewon says. Frustrated was definitely the word to describe what the short-haired girl was feeling right now. Just when she'd regained her memories, something else had come up. Chungha's words from earlier in the day begin to echo in her ear,

Chaewon's internal battle is not yet complete. To be able to beat the enemy, she needs to be one with herself or I foresee a very difficult battle.

"I guess if the problem is with the clones themselves, I might know someone who can help. I didn't get to talk with her much in JYP, but my sister has. I'll give Chaeryeong a call and update you later." Chaeyeon replies.

"Alright with that settled, I think everyone should get some rest. It's been a long day. I'll go with Hyewon to buy one of those water bottles at the convenience store tomorrow. Kkura, you can examine it then." Eunbi says, knowing that Sakura would probably stay awake all night if she got it now. The rest of the group nods before heading off back to their rooms.

~~~~

The next day...

"Is this the place?" Chaewon asks Minjoo after the duo arrive at a music shop called SaiDa Sounds and Records. It wasn't that large, but there was something aesthetically pleasing about it. The front was painted pretty shades of purple mixed with white, and on display through the glass window were different types of vinyl records and guitars.

"That's what Chaeyeon-unnie said. I even made sure to double check if she heard from Chaeryeong correctly." The brunette replies, equally confused at why their help would be here.

"Only one way to find out then..." Chaewon says before heading towards the front door. As the two enter, the jingle of a bell rings throughout the shop.

On the inside, even more instruments were on display like flutes, keyboards and even a set of drums at the back right. The main attraction though was a grand piano situated right in the center of the room. The atmosphere felt really cozy, the sound of calming music from a phonograph filling the air.

At the sound of their entrance, a woman pops out from a room next to the front counter. The first thing that stood out is her pure white complexion. Chaewon thinks it's as white as tofu. As if that wasn't eye-catching enough, the woman also had long flowing blue-black hair cascading down her shoulders.

"Welcome! How may I help you?" She asks with a bright smile that causes Chaewon to freeze for some reason, prompting Minjoo to take over.

"Hi! We're looking for someone named Kim Dahyun. Would you happen to know who she is?" The brunette asks. At this, the woman's expression becomes guarded, one of her hands drifting below the counter.

"And why would you be out here looking for her?" The woman asks back.

"Oh, we're friends of Lee Chaeyeon. Her sister said that you could help us with a problem we've run into recently." Minjoo quickly replies, realizing they might've come off as suspicious.

"Chaeyeon? Oh my, it's been a while since I've heard from her." The woman says, expression shifting to a curious one.

"You know Chaeyeon?"

"Yes! And her sister, Chaeryeong, really should've called to tell us we had guests coming." The woman chuckles a bit before suddenly splitting herself into two and having her copy walk to the front door to flip the sign to say they were closed.

"Y-you can clone yourself too???" Chaewon says, finally snapping out of her daydreaming when she registered what she just saw.

"Mhm, that must mean you can self-replicate as well? My name is Dahyun, but I guess you two have already figured that out." She replies, her bright smile returning. "Sana-chan! Can you fix up some drinks? Chaeryeongie sent some guests over."

At this, Chaewon and Minjoo were surprised once again as they heard the sound of invisible footsteps enter the room, accompanied by bubbly laughter.

"Ahh, you two are so pretty! My name is Minatozaki Sana! What can Dahyun and I do for you?" A bodiless voice says from in front of them.

"Uh, Sana, they can't see you." Dahyun whispers to the empty air next to her.

"Oh, my bad!" The voice, Sana's, says with another burst of laughter before materializing in front of them. To say she was gorgeous would be an understatement. She had long brown hair, high cheekbones and cheerful bright eyes. If Chaewon didn't know better, she'd say she looked a bit like Minjoo.

"Let me try this again. Hi! My name is Minatozaki Sana! Pleasure to meet you two!" Sana says, extending her hands to shake Chaewon and Minjoo's.

~~~~

"Why are we here? Isn't it safer on campus?" One of Chaewon's clones says while hiding behind the piano.

"Yah! Don't be a crybaby. We should be taking the fight to them!" Another clone argues.

"Ooh, these vinyl records look vintage. Where'd you get them?" Asks another, standing alone in another corner of the room.

"Minjoooo, we should totally come back here for a date. I'll buy you something." One more says while clinging to the brunette's arm.

"This is just so cute!" Sana says with that cheerful laugh of hers while clapping her hands together.

"You see my problem now?" The original Chaewon asks Dahyun who was sitting across from her at a table in the back room.

"Yeah, I had an episode like this in the past actually." The shop owner replies, not being able to hide a chuckle either.

"You can combine back now before one of you breaks something. Sana! Can you take Minjoo-ssi and show her around while we talk?" Dahyun then says.

"Sure, Dubu! C'mon, Minjoo! We have a lot of stuff here!" Sana says while pulling Minjoo away. The brunette's eyes widen, and Chaewon can only give her a supportive smile while she tries to collect her clones again.

"So, you two are from JYP, right? Is there a reason you set up this place?" Chaewon asks as she settles back into her seat to break the ice.

"Sana and I are actually part of our own little team. But, with ITZY and SKZ around, we're only really deployed for special missions these days. We've done our service already." Dahyun replies, eyes seemingly reminiscing old times.

"That's similar to what we've got going on right now on PD Campus. There's a threat approaching that needs us all in tip-top shape, and my issues are holding the team back." Chaewon says before going into detail about KYB, how she lost her memories, how she got them back, and a lot more.

"I see. That's a lot to take in. You mentioned a rogue clone though, Michelle? I believe that's the key for you." Dahyun says after some thought.

"What do you mean? She tried to kill me and Minjoo. Besides, I don't even think we can combine back anymore." Chaewon tries to argue.

"Is that because of Michelle, or because you won't accept her?" Those words from Dahyun hit Chaewon hard. Over the past year, she realized she hadn't made any effort to meet Michelle. As time went on, the clone's voice in her head became quieter and quieter until she stopped hearing it entirely. After saying she'd welcome merging with Michelle one day, it was also her who had begun ignoring the clone.

"You're right... all this time I've been living life without thinking of her. Of course, she'd grow more and more resentful." Chaewon eventually says, guilt rising within her.

"Don't be too hard on yourself. In fairness to you, my clones never tried to kill me or Sana. It must've been hard for you too. At the end of the day though, you have to accept every part of yourself to have unity between you and your clones." Dahyun replies, standing up and walking over to the short-haired girl to give her a pat on the back.

"Thank you, unnie. I'll try my best to fix things." Chaewon says with a bow. She was about to turn and go get Minjoo when Dahyun called her attention again.

"About that upcoming battle, I'll have a talk with my team too. If what you told me was just the tip of the iceberg, then I can only imagine how bad this will be for mutants. We gotta protect each other, right?" She says with a smile before handing her a business card with her contact information.

"Keep in touch, okay?" Dahyun says after getting Chaewon's number.

"I will, unnie."

~~~~

"I still can't believe your ability is invisibility! That is such a coincidence!" Sana tells Minjoo after the two had sat down by a table in the backyard. The Japanese girl wasn't kidding when she said she'd show Minjoo everything. It felt like Sana had a story to tell about every instrument and vinyl record in the shop.

"Yeah, and the fact that our girlfriends can both clone themselves is even crazier." Minjoo says as she sips the tea Sana had brewed.

"Right? We should totally go on a double date some time." Sana teases which cause Minjoo's cheeks to redden.

"H-how do you handle that actually? I'm sure Dahyun's also had moments when she wasn't... herself." Minjoo asks, and at that question, Sana's expression calms for probably the first time since they'd met.

"Hmm, at the end of the day, Dahyun is still Dahyun, and I love every part of her. Can she get overwhelming at times? Sure, but that's part of the thrill, isn't it? It's fun that she can return that love tenfold too. There's never a dull moment with her." Sana says after some thought. "Oh, I'm sorry, maybe I rambled a bit."

"No, you're good! I actually agree. Chaewon's always defended me, always tried her best for me. Every part of her is beautiful and endearing, even the scaredy-cat clone from earlier." Minjoo says with a laugh as Chaewon's voice calls from inside the shop.

"Ah, they must be done. I should get ready to go." The brunette says.

"Oh, before you go, maybe a tip from a fellow invisibility user. You mentioned how you have trouble sometimes keeping a group of people cloaked, right? It's always helped me to focus my thoughts on an anchor. When your mind is locked in, even your movements can be silenced while invisible. You heard me a while ago because I wasn't in fight mode, but I've gotten really good at it." Sana says before getting up and showing a quick demonstration. The Japanese girl cloaked herself and appeared behind Minjoo a couple seconds later with another cup of tea without the younger girl hearing anything.

"See? Cool, right?" Sana says with that cheerful laugh again.

"Min? I said Dahyun-unnie and I are done. Let's head back to campus before they start worrying." Chaewon calls again after Minjoo didn't respond the first time.

"Coming, Chae!" The aforementioned girl says before getting up and bowing respectfully towards Sana.

"Thank you for the conversation and the tips too, unnie. I'll make sure to use your advice."

"No problem, Minjoo-ssi. You should introduce me to your Japanese friends some time by the way. There's a couple more in my group that would love to meet them." Sana replies.

"Sure, unnie. I'll see you next time then!" And with that, Minjoo joins Chaewon and heads out.

"Sana, it looks like there's a big battle on the horizon. Those girls might need our help." Dahyun says when the two guests are gone.

"It has something to do with the attack at JYP the other day, doesn't it?" Sana asks to which Dahyun nods.

"Yeah, Jihyo-unnie said they had it handled, but it might be bigger than she thought. I'll give her a call in a bit."

"It's been a while since we've had a mission, hasn't it? It's nice to hang out with all nine of us, but I hate that it usually only happens when the world needs saving." Sana says with a huff.

"Mina's birthday is coming up, right? Let's throw her a big party when it comes then." Dahyun suggests to ease her girlfriend's mood.

"That's if there's still a world left by the time the day comes." The Japanese girl mumbles quietly after Dahyun goes to check inventory.

 

A/N: Hi again! First of all, Happy New Year to everyone! I was really excited to write this chapter, so I ended up spending a bunch of time on it this weekend!

The gang is finally all back together, but that means another session in the war room to discuss their next move. KangBi are going to head out to find a water bottle for Sakura to study in the next chapter among other things.

For the rest of this chapter though, I finally managed to introduce my TWICE bias, Dahyun! Hope everyone liked that little cameo. I promise it was a coincidence that I gave 2Kim the same powers as SaiDa. 2Kim's personalities just matched those abilities, and SaiDa's powers are basically canon in Twice lore. I had a lot of fun writing that part.

Thank you once again to everyone who's read this far! Y'all made my 2023 a lot brighter and I hope to give more good writing in 2024!

See y'all in the next chapter!