The End

Only For A While
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yul laughed as Sooyoung's grandson cheered happily when he gave the boy a gift. 

"Thank you grandpa." Young said and Yul nodded as he watched the boy opened the present.

"Are you sure you are not staying for dinner?" Hana, Sooyoung's daughter asked to Yul.

"I am here to visit your mother. That's enough. Next time I will stay longer." Yul said and the young woman nodded.

Yul bid goodbye to Sooyoung's family and left the condominium. He walked down the stairs and went to the nearest bus stop. At the age of 58, Yul was still healthy and active. He often work out, walking instead of driving. He was still working as he has moved back to Seoul when his parents fell sick few years back. He worked at his old company again but at their new branch as project officer where he oversees the companies other branches projects as well. Yul has 2 years to go before his retirement.

Yul waited for the bus. He looked at his watch. It was still early. Yul stood and walked down the hill slowly. 45 minutes of walking, Yul arrived at the busy streets of Hongdae. Yul glanced at the café he used to frequent. Rice and Jajang sauce. The café is still operating. Yul touched his stomach and walked to the café. He stood in line. There were 3 people in front of him. The café looked the same. Nothing change. 

"Kwon Yul?"

Yul turned to see Sooyeon behind him. He felt a sudden shockwaves through his body. As Sooyeon smiled, Yul turned around and looked to the front as if he didn't see her. Yul was confused as well, as if he didn't have any control over his body. 

Sooyeon was taken aback by Yul's reaction. She smiled to herself before she walked out from the café. Sooyeon actually saw Yul from afar as she too was walking towards the cafe. She thought she could say hi to him. It had been years. They were matured she assumed. Guess not.

Yul on the other hand, was taking a deep breath, calming himself. He turned around to see Sooyeon wasn't behind him anymore. He ran out the café, looking left and right but Sooyeon was nowhere to be seen. Yul gripped his hands and chose to go left to look for Sooyeon whereas Sooyeon earlier took the right side.

//

Yul stood outside the café. He has waited outside for an hour. When the waitress asked him, he said he was waiting for someone. Yul took a deep breath. He cursed himself for reacting like that. Yul didn't understand why he reacted poorly. He should have smile back and say everything that he felt for Sooyeon. She has greeted him cheerfully but he...

"Kwon Yul?" 

Yul looked at the voice. He smiled at Sooyeon as the woman smiled at him too.

//

"I was surprised. Please don't get the wrong idea." Yul said as they waited for their meals. 

Sooyeon shook her head.

"No. Don't worry. I didn't expect anything so..."

They both fell into silence as they stared at each other. 

"How's your family?" Yul asked, breaking the silence.

"My daughter is working in Moscow. Even married a Russian, so... everything worked well I guess. My husband passed away 15 years ago. I am staying in my parents house, finally, after years..."

"You reconcile?" 

"Reconcile?"

"Well, I remembered you said you left the house..."

"Oh...you remember." Sooyeon had a soft smile on her face that made Yul smiled as well.

"My parents...they passed away three years ago and my sister, she isn't staying in Korea anymore."

"You're all alone?" Yul asked.

Sooyeon nodded.

"I am alone as well. I only have Sooyoung as my extended family."

"Oh, how is she?" Sooyeon was interested.

"She's fine. I saw her earlier. She already has a grandson."

"Wah!"

"Yeah. I can bring you to see her later?" Yul said and stopped when the food came.

They thanked the waitress.

"Sure. Let's exchange numbers?" Sooyeon said and Yul agreed eagerly.

They continued chatting while eating, talking about old times.

//

“It’s more convenient to take taxi.” Yul said and  Sooyeon nodded.

After dinner Yul insisted on sending Sooyeon home with a taxi instead of letting her take a bus. The taxi stopped in front of Sooyeon’s house, Yul glanced at the high staircase just next to the road.

“Thank you.” Sooyeon stepped out.

“Can I see you again?”

“Sure. You can call me.”

“Okay Sooyeon. Good night.” Yul said and watched Sooyeon entered her house before asking the taxi driver to drive.

//

Yul sat on the bench, waiting for Sooyeon as they have planned to meet at the park, for an evening walk. This was their fourth meeting. They have went to the library together. To see Sooyoung the other day. To a cafe. 

He looked at the small bouquet he had in his hand. Yul smiled and stood. He handed the bouquet to Sooyeon and the woman chuckled.

"I saw them and I thought of you, so..." Yul said.

"We are walking around the park, why are you wearing casual attire?" Sooyeon asked as she wore sports attire.

Yul laughed sheepishly.

"Because this a date?" Yul said and Sooyeon was taken aback, with a shy smile.

"I want to be honest with you. I don't want to beat around the bush. We are old now. Too old. We're both 58. We don't have much time left. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Even as friends, that is more than enough but Sooyeon, all these years, my love has never fade away for you. When I saw you and your family back then, I was devastated, I died on the inside but I prayed every day, if anyhow, there's a chance for me to be with you ever again, whatever the risk, whenever the time, I would love you like I never did. I would cherish you like I never did. I would sacrifice for you for everything that you need me to. My life is yours. Only yours, and Sooyeon..." Yul knelt down.

Sooyeon was taken aback. She looked around as the youngsters around them stopped and watched the sudden proposal. 

"Will you marry me?" Yul showed a ring.

"Yul, this is the fourth time we went out..."

"And we can do more in the future together." Yul said with a hopeful expression.

Sooyeon wasn't sure. As the crowd cheered on them, Sooyeon nodded eventually and hugged Yul as the man hugged her first.

//

"I asked for your blessings for me to marry your mother, and for me to cherish her all my life." Yul said to Sooyeon's daughter as he called her that night.

"Samchon, I am glad that my mother has found someone again. After my father passed away, she was alone. She didn't have any close friends too. I did ask her to come with me to Moscow but she refused. So, samchon, I blessed you two. Please take care of my mother. She's all I have." Yoojung said politely.

"Thank you for your blessings. She is all I have as well. We will get married and meet you soon."

"Okay, samchon. Can't wait to meet you." 

Sooyeon who was sitting not far from Yul watched as Yul ended the call. Yul looked at Sooyeon.

“I should head home. We will discuss more tomorrow, okay?” Yul stood.

He was at Sooyeon’s home. He visited earlier as he wanted to call Sooyeon’s daughter.

“Can you walk that high stairs?”

“I can. Don’t worry. See you tomorrow?” Yul walked to the door. 

Sooyeon accompanied Yul to the door.

“Bye.” Yul smiled and Sooyeon smiled as well.

//

Yul looked at the dress Sooyeon was trying. His face light up from happiness as he watched his future bride looking stunning in the white dress.

“Is this necessary, Kwon Yul?” Sooyeon let the designer took her measurements on the mock dress, which will be altered to fit her.

“My Sooyeon, this is my first time.” Yul said softly, leaning to the woman.

“Oh…” Sooyeon was not aware of that fact.

Sooyeon watched Yul held her shoulders from behind, looking into her eyes from the reflection of the mirror.

“I want the best for the both of us. Can I?” 

“I overlooked. I wasn’t aware. Forgive me.” Sooyeon touched Yul’s hand.

“Nothing to be sorry about. I’m just excited about all this, can you share the excitement with me?”

“Of course I will.” Sooyeon patted Yul’s hand and he grinned happily.

“Let’s choose your suit then.” Sooyeon commented and Yul nodded.

//

Sooyoung cried when Yul and Sooyeon shared a quick kiss after their vow. Yul stared at the face of his wife. Finally Sooyeon is his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter