R to V [intro. VCR] - II

Slice of Cake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The white rabbit.

 

Irene didn’t know who gave her the nickname. It was either her father or her elder brother. One of the men.

 

And it was probably due to her ears that stuck out or her brother endearingly phrased it as ‘a feature’ that helped frame her hair around her face… …At least he’s doing honest work. Irene really didn’t mind the nickname, it suited her to the T.

 

She was petite and wore white most of the time. It was neat, prim and proper. The colour of her eyes at certain angles looked russet though they were copper brown. She was shy and preferred to keep to herself most of the time…Ah, then figuratively, she was more of a wild rabbit than a domesticated one. Surprisingly enough, the mountains were literally the backyard in her hometown. So, it was a childhood nickname that stuck to her and followed her up the stairs to adulthood. Her close friends…childhood friend, called her that and she was starting to worry whether it was wise to even use it in this chase she had initiated.

 

Irene pursed her lips, only Joy knew of this nickname.

 

How would Wendy know about her childhood nickname when the young music major, musician, couldn’t even remember that they had a lecture together? That they exchanged lecture notes during the first two weeks? That the young musician even complimented how neat her handwriting was? …And that her bangs she had back then suited her! Should have kept it. 

 

Wendy probably only knew the nickname that most students in the university called her, which was entirely different! How was she going to link Baephrodite to the white rabbit?!

 

Her phone pinged. Startled, Irene glanced at her phone on the table that lit up, the yellow messaging app icon flashing, messages increasing. She hesitated and Yeri’s hand reached over faster than she could. She pressed her lips tighter together as Yeri sighed, tapped, flicked and scrolled through the incoming messages. A month ago, she would have jumped to get the phone back, shy and flustered, but since the start of this plan…if you could call it a plan, Irene allowed the younger girls to take control of the reins. Both Joy and Yeri knew that she was completely, utterly lost at how to proceed with—

 

‘Joy unnie says that Wendy unnie has left the library and is heading back home.’ The click of Yeri’s tongue was loud, ‘Home? Again? Really? Why?’

 

Yeri shot a glare at her phone, fingers furiously typing,

 

‘Joy unnie, what are you telling her? Tell her to visit the third floor! Irene unnie works here too!’ The cocoa brown eyes glanced over to her, noticing her stare, questioning, ‘Hmm?’

 

‘Nothing.’

 

Irene quickly whispered, gulped and shifted her eyes away, hands moving quickly to the books before her, mindlessly arranging a stack that was already as neat as they could be …Just look busy, pretty girl.

 

‘Ugh, it’s been more than a week since Joy unnie gave her your KaTalk ID and Wendy unnie is still…’ A loud sigh,

 

 ‘This is starting to get ridiculous!’ A short pause, ‘Wendy unnie! What are you waiting for? Make your move!’

 

Indeed, Plan ‘Let’s be friends’ was turning into a wild goose chase. It has been a good week of waiting for the young musician to approach her. A month since the lift encounter. Wendy, academically smart, was supposed to understand all the clues that led to Irene. It was a path laid thick with hints, pushes, nudges and even an answer, that was set up purposefully by Joy.

 

Yeri and Seulgi were roped in halfway through, Joy having found out through the grapevines that the young musician was enamoured by Irene. Subsequently, all four became good friends within three weeks of Joy’s speedy icebreakers and meetings.

 

 …But nothing has happened!

 

They hadn’t even bumped into each other since that accidental yet fateful lift encounter. It seemed as if Wendy was avoiding her as time passed. Was she?

 

Irene her lips, a nervous tick Joy always pointed out. She looked over her phone in Yeri’s grasp as the younger girl’s cocoa brown eyes narrowed further, eyebrows scrunched, clearly in the midst of thinking of the next steps to take. Well…Irene’s next steps. Pressing the book back into the shelf before her while fidgeting on her feet, Irene breathed quietly,

 

‘Maybe, I’ll send her a message?’ Yeri’s cocoa brown eyes widened, ‘…like a hello?’

 

‘What? Unnie, No!’ The younger girl’s face, aghast, ‘After all that we’ve done?’

 

Irene’s chest tightened. Was this plan really all that necessary? They could just be introduced to each other since their friend circle now overlapped. This seemed like a test more than anything. Oh Joy…!

 

Ever since Joy found out about Irene’s interest in Wendy, her childhood friend was on a mission to get her more than just acquainted. Joy readily approved, ready to date. Dating?! She had never dated before, let alone ask someone to be her friend? Her shy nature always got the better of her and Joy was an overprotective childhood friend that Irene realised one was more than enough to call company. Many people were eager to get to know her but lost interest quickly when they realised how long it took to get past Joy’s defences. Men will always be boys. Women will eventually become jealous.

 

In that sense, Irene had many acquaintances. In name only.

 

When Wendy introduced herself last year when the young musician asked to sit beside her during a lecture… …Oh my. Wendy somehow left an impression on her that Irene found it odd that the girl, who was in a hay fever induced mess, kept on popping up in her daydreams between work and study.

 

So much so that the rest of the year, she found herself hoping to chance upon the young musician. So much so that she accidentally slipped Wendy’s name in front of Joy over the New Year’s dinner. So much so that she swallowed her pride and asked Joy for help, when she finally realised at the start of a new school term… that what she was feeling for Wendy was genuine interest. Perhaps more than just interest.

 

With her timid nature, Irene just went along with Joy's whims. It was better than just hoping to cha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter