Station II - Rebirth

Slice of Cake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Continuing from 'Would U' to 'Rebirth', let's go!

 

 

For the longest time, Wendy refused to believe in love at first sight.

 

Well, she was then, only just making her high school debut. At that point, it seemed almost natural for her to think that way, while everyone else around her was squealing, gasping for breath and clutching their chest at every strikingly attractive person they set their eyes on.

 

Wendy was, after all, well-read and all about facts. Was she going to fall prey to puppy love? Of course! Most probably, with a 75% chance of falling head over heels with an upperclassmen. But she was certain that as fast as it was going to hit her, the tornado of feelings would disappear as fast as a fleeting spring breeze. She'd get over the initial attraction before she could say she was in love. Wendy knew very well that it was just a cocktail of raging hormones her body decided to produce and consume simultaneously.

 

…Or so she believed. Because to Wendy, everything she had believed to that day of her life, which she was barely a quarter in, was thrown out of her head the moment she set her eyes onto Irene.

 

Irene was the definition of love at first sight.

 

Was it just the cocktail of hormones talking? Nah, Wendy was so, very much, in love. And she knew that no matter what came her way,  she wasn’t ever going to get over this person.

 

Her eyes were always searching for the upperclassman. Irene Bae who had long dark hair, fringe pinned up with a pink clip. Entrancing dark umber eyes that sparkled behind round glasses, and clear fair skin. Rosy pink yet slightly chapped lips.  A lithe petite body that was just a centimetre taller than her… She could go on and on just describing Irene.

 

Ah…! Not only was Wendy’s body seeking, her mind was too! The library in her head had put aside a folder just for Irene. If she could, Wendy wanted to learn more about the upplerclassman. What was her favourite food, colour? Hobbies? Music? Likes, dislikes? Subjects? Sports? Everything and anything about Irene. The good-natured upperclassman who was not only breathtakingly beautiful, but outrageously smart. Wasn’t that the perfect combo?

 

Never had Wendy thought that she would experience falling in love that quickly. Just like she read in the books, her heart was completely invested in Irene. Heart racing, mouth dry, clammy hands, tingling skin, buckling knees, always utterly speechless! And who would have believed that she would fall in love with her best friend’s childhood friend too?! Even Seulgi was surprised when she, always the chatterbox, went completely silent in the presence of Irene.

 

Their first encounter was a total, completely, unfortunate accident during school recess. Them bumping into each other as they both rounded a corner. Wendy’s convenience store bought bread packs flying across the corridor, the carton of milk in Seulgi’s hand splashing over her uniform, Irene’s glasses pushing up uncomfortably to the side.

 

Wendy should have been apologising for knocking into an upperclassman, but the sight of Irene up close took her breath away. Jaw hanging. Mind blank. Thank goodness Seulgi was there to bridge the awkwardness then, and practically every encounter thereafter!

 

So when Wendy bumped into Irene as she rounded a corner, years later, in a garden maze, iced coffee splashing over the latter…with Seulgi not anywhere by her side, Wendy could not believe what ensued!

 

Not only did she get the chance to savour a moment alone with Irene, she also found out that the girl, now a stunningly beautiful woman, had always been single! And her first love kissed her not just once but twice! Thrice, if she took into consideration the small peck Irene left on her cheek as they said their nth goodbye at the parking lot, the latter extremely reluctant to leave.

 

Ah…it had always been mutual!

 

Wendy was so glad she mustered up the courage to act on her feelings at that god-given opportunity. If she had been that bold back in high school…? If she could turn back time…? Nah. Wendy knew her love sick teenage self would not have the capacity to keep up with the ambition and tenacity Irene had in high school, and probably in university too. Irene, who was sharp with her words, serious and pragmatic. Their relationship would have been riddled with much unneeded angst and drama!

 

Especially with the Kim Min-Jae rumour. Yes, the Irene Bae and Kim Min-Jae rumour!

 

It was painfully difficult to ignore the topic when it was something everyone in school constantly talked about. Anxiety gnawed at her heart, even when Seulgi confirmed with Irene that the rumours were not true! If not for the fact that Irene always showed interest in her ramblings, or in her very quiet SNS feed, or replied timely to the yearly greetings she shyly sent… Wendy would have locked away her feelings to prevent herself from believing that it was unrequited love. The silver lining was always there, peeking.

 

So, when the rumour resurfaced and spread like wildfire during the wedding luncheon, it was extremely difficult to remain calm. Wendy knew she should have steeled herself, but how could her heart not have wavered when she slipped into the banquet hall, fashionably late with Seulgi, and saw them sitting side by side, all smiles amongst the hushed whispers?

 

If Irene had not called her when night came, asking whether she had reached home safely, and whether she was free to meet up on the following weekend… Wendy would have believed everything that happened that afternoon was just a fever dream. Well…! Every day after that fateful day seemed like she was still in a dream!

 

Mornings that were once difficult to wake up to were now easy and bright. She would find herself singing happily in the shower to a song god-knows-who recommended. When it came to work, problems that were raging storms were now an absolute breeze to tackle and solve. And never had she found herself so excited when night rolled around.

 

It wasn’t just going back to the apartment, washing up, eating and then sleeping that made her excited… It was when Irene would drop her a text, or a pho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter