FMR - I

Slice of Cake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Think FMR :) Let's jump right in!

 

 

The air was still and the growing chill of the night kept her mind clear. Wendy scrunched her nose, giving into a sniffle as she looked far across the icy lake. The cold waters crystal clear blue, edges lapping softly at her feet. She stood tall in her black sleek attire, shorts peeking just beneath her fitted one shoulder blazer, her right arm exposed to the cool crisp air.

 

A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips as her cool gray eyes finally caught sight of what she was waiting for. Or would it be better to say, who she was waiting for?

 

Frost had yet to settle fully over the lake, but Wendy could already hear the soft icy crackle of the water’s surface breaking apart as a small boat slowly made its way over to her at the lake’s edge. The boat’s bejewelled sail sparkled like the stars in the moonlit sky, but it was the passenger that sat before it in a pearl embellished black dress that stole all of Wendy’s attention.

 

A lengthy pearl necklace glimmered on pale bare shoulders, long silky black hair neatly braided at the back. Timeless beauty radiating from a flawless face. Wendy chuckled under her breath at the sight,

 

‘And she told me not to overdress.’

 

As the boat neared, her eyes locked onto piercing electric blue eyes. A brief unspoken greeting was made between them. Hello. Good evening. How are you? I missed you. I-

 

The crunch of sand filled the night when the boat beached, interrupting their quiet moment. Wendy stepped aside and quickly moved towards the bow of the boat, hand out.

 

There was a slight shuffle of fabric and a sharp intake of a breath before cold fingers gently eased into her warm hands. Shifting her weight slightly to the side, Wendy slowly guided her guest out of the boat. The air around her warmed slightly and the fingers in her grasp tightened. Up and out, Wendy steadied herself as she watched the black dress umbrella out, the dried leaves on the white shore parting on cue. A low, soft yet clean voice cutting the still air,

 

‘Thank you.’ A small smile warmed her cheeks, ‘Do forgive me for being a little late.’

 

Smiling brightly, Wendy reached over, clasping the small cold hand in her hold,

 

‘I didn’t wait long, Irene.’

 

Gently pulled into a tight hug, the smile on Wendy’s guest only bloomed bigger, her blue eyes closing in the warm squeeze. With her feet finally on land, Irene leaned further into Wendy’s embrace, the surging warmth from the latter soothing the chill that had taken over her during her journey. A contented breath escaped her lips as their fingers naturally interlocked and tightened snugly together. A light caress on the back of her hand and a quick nod was all Wendy needed to know that Irene was ready to set off.

 

‘Are you going to leave the boat as is?’

 

Wendy turned slightly as she started walking away from the lake, eyeing the bejewelled boat on the shore. Irene held her dress up, adjusting quickly as she matched Wendy’s steps, eyes following her brunette companion’s gaze back to her boat,

 

‘Yes.’ A short pause, ‘You do know I always make another one.’

 

Acknowledging Irene with a short hum, Wendy quipped a second later, ‘Hmm, pity. You made it really, really, beautiful this time round. Decked out in diamonds, glass and all. Sparkle, sparkle. ’

 

With a curious eyebrow raised, Irene glanced at Wendy, the latter’s gray ones twinkling at her. She snorted,

 

‘Are you seriously complimenting the boat I travel in all the time?’

 

Wendy couldn’t contain her mirth and chuckled loudly as electric blue looked questioningly at her outburst. The cold hand that had s around her bare arm tugged lightly and Wendy gave in, leaning closer as she watched a small frown form on Irene’s face.

 

‘Of course not.’ A light bump between their heads, ‘I’m saying you look beautiful.’

 

‘You didn’t say that.’ Irene replied curtly.

 

‘Well, I’m saying it now.’ Electric blue narrowed as Wendy continued with a lopsided grin, ‘You are very, very beautiful.’

 

Irene’s eyebrows raised slightly before settling back down, a faint blush spreading across her cheeks. Her eyes shyly darted away from her companion’s lingering gaze, fingers squeezing lightly, ‘Thank you.’

 

As the fairy of Winter, Irene’s soft voice slowly eased into silence. The comfortable silence that fell upon them only made the grin on Wendy’s face bigger. Compliment accepted. The normal welcome banter was done. Nothing else was needed but the warmth they shared as they walked together, hands locked, into Wendy’s Autumn realm.

 

 

Irene and Wendy had long forgotten when they came into existence. Memories they probably had no interest in recollecting or had any desire to know. Or how their names changed depending on who they came into contact with. Names...one too many, that they settled between themselves and their fairy sisters on: Irene and Wendy.

 

Just Irene. Just Wendy. The fairy of Winter. The fairy of the Fall.

 

Their purpose was clear as day, and deep as the night. Governing over their respective seasons, they made sure the weather changed timely and everything else that followed thereafter. Settling the mundane into place for the next seasonal change. As the world formed and moulded, so did their boundaries and lands. Despite the continuous change, there was one thing that always remained constant.

 

The unyielding, undying passion they had for the other.

 

A flame had been lit and it could not die. They were mistresses of each other’s season, seeking out the other constantly. Despite the push and pull, they always found their way back to one another.

 

Happiness and solace bundled in each other’s company.

 

 

Though Autumn was eternal in Wendy’s realm, she enjoyed the change of seasons, and made the effort to add the tiniest seasonal transitions to her land. With winter’s coming, most of the trees of Wendy’s woodlands had shed their leaves, painting the ground in a wash of deep orange and brown. Their thick white trunks shooting high into the night sky, shadows stretching long across the ground.

 

Humming softly as they walked, Wendy raised her free hand and drew her fingers together, pulling down. A small sphere of light appeared at her fingertips, bobbing up and around her before drifting over to Irene.

 

It circled her body before hovering close to the hem of her dress. A small smile curved up on Irene’s face as she watched Wendy create a few more, the area around them illuminating with a warm hue. Although there was more than enough moonlight streaming through the bare branches to see where they walked, Irene guessed that Wendy was still unhappy with the brightness. Always the worrywart-

 

‘Ah-!’

 

Before Irene could register that she had tripped over a small gnarly tree root, the arm she held onto moved instinctively. Wendy’s arm was fast around her waist, finger splayed at her hip, holding her tight and upright. Concerned gray eyes looked at her, scanning,

 

‘Are you alright? Am I walking too fast? I am, aren't I?’

 

Irene blinked repeatedly, body flushed against Wendy. Her mind was still trying to comprehend what just happened, and the speed at which Wendy was questioning her.

 

‘I’m so sorry, and it’s still a little dark, right? Let me create more of these lights. I should have known better to bring a lamp with me when I left. These woods have changed over the-’

 

Wendy felt a cool touch on he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter