Chapter 6

Schrodinger's Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Being the most similar in terms of traits to planet Earth, planet 480 was exposed to the same risks planet Earth was exposed to. Natural disasters knocked entire populations out, and Sungjong had to submit requests for more manpower to be sent to planet 480 to ensure maximum productivity. 

 

Sungjong was rather sure that what the administrators on planet Earth faced, he would face them all sooner or later. Just like how Earth was governed, planet 480 was also divided according to different classes and occupations, although Sungjong would choose to believe that they had it better as everyone had equal chances from birth till the age of 18, unlike the people on Earth. 

 

Sungjong glanced at the calendar sitting on his desk. It had already been six months since he first stepped foot onto this new planet. He had made a few new friends other than Dongwoo and was starting to get a hang of the intensity of work. 

 

It was his final week at the farming schedule planning division, and Sungjong was starting to feel that he was going to miss this team. His next rotation was going to be with the justice management team, where he was supposed to assist with legal matters of the planet. He wondered how he would handle all the work considering he had zero knowledge in the legal department. He sighed to himself, before drafting another email on his computer.

 

The past six months had been eventful. Shortly after Sunggyu and Woohyun returned to planet 477, there was a drought in the northwest where all the tubular vegetables were grown, resulting in reduced crop yields. The matter was brought up to planet 477, but target numbers from the administration remained unchanged. This meant that the supply of the crops to planet 477 and the other planets in the system had to be prioritised.

 

They were thus forced to cut tubular vegetable supplies within the planet. Alternatives had to be sourced in the shortest amount of time possible, and Sungjong felt like it was him against the world. 

 

He was thankful that Myungsoo was there to listen to him. The others joined their conversations once in a while, but it was only Myungsoo and Sungjong most of the time. 

 

There was another time when the nearby orchards were flooded during the monsoon season. Fruit supply was low, but demand remained high. Likewise, Sungjong’s team had to cut fruit supplies within the planet. Due to the lack of essential vitamins, many people fell sick that month, putting a strain on medical supplies. 

 

A ping from his computer dragged Sungjong’s thoughts back to reality. 

 

He read the email, its contents exactly what he had expected. It was another email rejecting their requests for new farming equipment and more engineers. Sighing deeply, he tapped on the metal ring on his middle finger twice. 

 

“Hm?” Myungsoo’s sleepy voice travelled into his ears. He sounded as if he had just woken up, earning a frown from Sungjong. 

 

“Oh no, did I wake you up?” Sungjong’s voice was low so that no one could hear him. He was at work after all. 

 

Myungsoo’s voice sounded gruff as he hummed again, before denying whatever Sungjong had assumed. “It’s fine, I was just about to wake up from my nap anyway. I stayed up a little late last night testing out my new prototype for time travel. Can’t seem to think of a way to persuade them to allow me to test it on humans.” Sungjong could picture the look of understanding on Myungsoo’s face as he listened to the other’s soothing voice. “Why did you call anyway? Is there something I can help with?” 

 

The usually concerned tone was back as Sungjong remained quiet for a moment longer, attempting to articulate his thoughts in the clearest manner possible. 

 

“I missed you.” 

 

“I miss you too. Sungjong, are you okay?”

 

Sungjong nodded, before realising that Myungsoo could not see him. 

 

“Yeah, I am. I’m being rostered to another division from next week onwards. It is the justice management team, but the work there seems so daunting I don’t think I’m up for it yet.” There was a hint of whining in his voice, as he poured his concerns out to Myungsoo. 

 

“You can do it, don’t underestimate your abilities.” Myungsoo’s smile was evident in his voice, and Sungjong could almost imagine him ruffling his hair affectionately. The thought itself was enough to turn the corners of Sungjong’s lips upwards.

 

“Thanks, I feel much better already.” There was a short pause before Sungjong continued. “I would feel even better if you were here with me.” 

 

The last statement earned a low chuckle from Myungsoo. “No worries.” He paused, before adding quietly, “I would love to be there with you too.”

 

There were a few moments of silence before Sungjong sighed and cracked his knuckles, preparing to get back to work.

 

“Sungjong, I need your help to schedule the next round of rice planting in the tropical areas. Based on the weather forecasts, the monsoon season will be coming later than usual, so our farming schedule has to be adjusted to ensure the highest possible yield.”

 

There was a whisper from his team leader, as she handed him a piece of paper detailing the year's important dates. 

 

Sungjong received the piece of paper, before typing furiously on his computer. As much as he did not like to admit, Sungjong still had to finish his current duties until the following week. Despite being one of the administrators on this planet, there were too many things he could not do. His options were limited, and he had been doing way too many things against his wishes. 

 

He now understood why Dongwoo’s happiness seemed so off on his first day on the planet. There were simply too many things that had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter