Chapter 2

Schrodinger's Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Myungsoo."

 

Myungsoo looked up from the computer he was typing on and stared quizzically at the male beside him. 

 

Woohyun was leaning over his desk, a clipboard in his hand. "Sorry for disturbing you, but I need your help understanding this, the videos haven't been helping much."

 

Myungsoo took the clipboard from Woohyun and read through the condensed data. "At first glance, everything looks normal, what's the problem here?"

 

Woohyun frowned. "That's the problem. The acceleration of the particles at this speed should only cause the formation of a covalent bond, not result in an entirely different element. Nuclear fusion is not supposed to happen."

 

"Indeed it isn't. Are you trying to form ozone?" Myungsoo handed the clipboard back to Woohyun as he shrugged. "You would have tried using chemical methods already, but there should be a reason why you aren't I assume?"

 

Woohyun sighed as he nodded in reply, sinking into the empty seat beside Myungsoo. "I'm guessing it's the unpredictable winds on the planet causing so much variance in my data."

 

There was a pout on Myungsoo's face as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "I'm suspecting random mass movements causing the variability. How much do you know about the planet?"

 

Woohyun had been researching planet 487, one of the planets furthest from them within their star system. There was little information on the planet, other than the fact that it was more than 400 lightyears away and it was a rock planet. It was planned to be the next base for further exploration into the universe. Therefore it was of utmost importance to make the planet livable and well-equipped for space exploration. 

 

Woohyun shrugged. "You could be right. Based on the latest images, five moons are orbiting that planet, the largest one being two-thirds the planet's size. It's a wonder how that planet is not split apart yet. I'll see what I can figure out in the lab.” There was a short pause. “Also, I wonder how Sungjong is doing for his exam. It's today, isn't it?"

 

Myungsoo had been trying to push the nagging worry of Sungjong failing to the back of his mind. Over the many months of tutoring him, he had started to take a liking toward the younger male. The way his eyes twinkled whenever he understood a new concept -- it was too endearing for him to forget and something he would surely miss. However, Myungsoo was brutally aware of where Sungjong's caliber stood. There was simply too low a chance for him to pass; his talent simply was not there. 

 

He looked at Woohyun, unexplainable emotions present in his eyes. Taken aback by his reaction, Woohyun nearly fell out of the chair.

 

"What's with this look?"

 

"He won't pass. He's 18, so he won't get another chance. We'll have to bid him farewell soon."

 

Myungsoo's voice was calmer than usual, sending chills down Woohyun's spine. Woohyun fell silent at Myungsoo's words. His thoughts echoed Myungsoo's, but he feared showing it, especially since he lived with Sungyeol and Sungjong. 

 

"I'm more worried for Sungyeol." Myungsoo continued, as he leaned into his chair, his face turning to look at Woohyun earnestly. "Sungjong will be able to adapt well to whichever planet he will be sent to, but after what happened with Dongwoo… Woohyun I'm afraid."

 

Woohyun was quiet as his fingers tightened around the clipboard. Sunggyu and Woohyun had spent the past two months mending Sungyeol’s relationship with Sungjong, and things had just started looking up for the both of them. 

 

Myungsoo’s expression mirrored Woohyun’s as they sat together, deep in thought. 

 

After a long silence, Myungsoo broke it by muttering, “Are you done with your experiments for the day?”

 

Woohyun nodded.

 

“May I drop by your place?”

 

~~

 

Sungjong clicked around on the screen aimlessly as he waited for time to pass. The examination was eight hours long and consisted of 600 questions with topics spanning across basic Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. He was only at the four-hour mark, and sleep was starting to catch up with him. 

 

The examination was done on a small personal device, bearing an uncanny resemblance to the laptop widely available during the Common Era. They were each given a whiteboard and markers to do some calculations on. It was said that the results of the examination would be out immediately upon submission, and instructions would be given out accordingly. 

 

Sungjong looked around, watching as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter