Lease and Contract

Of Lease and Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Looking for roommate
Discuss details in person
Contact: 010-xxxx-xxxx or 02-xxx-xxxx

 

The first thing that struck me was 'who would dare post an ad like this?', and then second, 'is this even legitimate?' I would’ve rolled my eyes at the ad on the site if I wasn’t desperate.

I just got freshly kicked out of the university dormitory because of the mountain of bills I wasn’t able to pay. I need to find a new place to stay and look for a job to sustain me. University dormitories have been the cheapest and safest option for me but since my allowance is not enough, I need to pack and leave.

Albeit hesitant, I dialed the number and closed my eyes, rubbing my temples as I listened for the caller ring.

At least the number truly exists.

“Please don’t be a prank”

It was the first thing that the person said on the line. She, judging by the voice, did not even greet at all.

“Shouldn’t I be the one saying that?”

The other person sighed. I could hear the exhaustion just from the way she breathed so deeply and cleared .

“I’m looking for a roommate… but not just a roommate”

My eyebrows creased. I scanned the words on my computer screen. “Your ad only says roommate here”

“I wish to discuss that matter personally. If you are interested, I will text you my address and we can talk over in person”

“Is this even legitimate?”

“Look… I’ll text you my information and I’ll leave it up to you to decide”

We are still less than a minute into this call and yet whoever I’m talking to already sounds so exhausted. She must’ve received a lot of prank calls beforehand but I can’t blame them. Who would put an ad like this?

Someone rich and bored, probably. Someone willing to spend money on an expensive site like this to place an ad.

She must’ve taken my silence as a negation when she suddenly said, “I’ll see you here or not. Bye”

She immediately dropped the call when I still wanted to clarify a lot of things.

As much as I wanted to move on and find something else, this is the only ad, so far, that doesn’t require a security deposit so I can have a place. I don’t have much with me and it seems like this is my only chance.

My phone vibrated, signaling a text message. 
 

Jung Wheein
xxxx District, Seoul, South Korea

Inform ahead if you wish to negotiate so I can inform my secretary.

 

Ah… Jung Wheein… She sounded rich. And if she has a secretary, she really is rich.

The question now is whether I will go meet her or not, whoever this Jung Wheein is.

 

*****

 

How is this a house? Even more, how can I afford rent in this place? This person has got to be kidding me. This Jung Wheein. Is she living in this entire thing?

I traced the building all the way to the top. I could barely see its tip from the light of the sun. I had to shield and squint my eyes to see the end of it.

“What am I supposed to do here?” I whispered to myself.

I am debating between leaving and going in. I’m leaning more on leaving. I couldn’t afford this place at all.

“Excuse me, miss,” the guard called. “Do you have an appointment in the building?”

I panicked when he asked me the question so I blurted out a response without thinking.

“I am looking for Jung Wheein?”

I held myself not to grimace in front of the guard. I don’t think I pronounced the name correctly. Also, I’m supposed to be leaving now.

“Oh, Miss Jung? You can head in the receptionist area. They’ll accommodate you there”

“Okay. Thank you”

I bowed at the guard before heading inside the building. All the while, I was wondering whether or not this Jung Wheein really owned this place. I had other theories that maybe she works here but the closer I walked to the receptionist, the more I’m thinking that she’s really rich enough to put up such a stupid ad for a prank.

This might even be bait!

“Good morning, miss. How may I help you?”

“I’m looking for Jung Wheein”

She reached for the phone and dialed a number. “Do you have an appointment with the President?”

My voice got stuck in my throat. “Wha—at?” I cleared my throat first. “What?”

The receptionist just smiled politely and asked, “Do you have an appointment with Miss Jung?”

I shook my head. “I ah… I called her yesterday… uhm about an ad. For a roommate. She told me to come here” I barely managed to finish the statement.

“Okay. Give me a moment.” She turned her attention away from me. “Good morning, Miss Jung. Someone finally came here to answer your ad”

The receptionist started laughing, making me raise my eyebrows.

“Okay, mam.” She said her goodbyes before putting down the call. “Miss Jung will be waiting for you in her office.” She stood up and directed me to a hallway on my right. “You can take any of the elevators there and just press twelve”

“Okay. Thank you”

I headed for the elevators and pressed the button for the twelfth floor. “Please don’t be a prank. Please don’t be a prank” I mumbled to myself. This was supposed to be Jung Wheein’s line but I’m claiming it now too.

The twelfth floor was a stark contrast to the reception floor. I wasn’t able to see much there because I was too nervous to care, but what I do remember is the clean white marble-tiled floors, which was a contrast to the black marbles on the reception desk.

Here, it’s like a museum of furniture. Chairs are placed inside a glass box. Some are on pedestals. Various chandeliers hang everywhere. Some are off and others lit up the entire floor. Tables on varying pedestal height and some are protected with barriers. All displays have their respective labels and description.

There is so much to see and so many things that catch my eyes. I found myself scanning them one by one, appreciating their intricate designs. It’s obvious that each display was given a lot of consideration.

“Was wondering what took you a long time”

I yelped, a loud one, an embarrassing one too, and held my chest while one covered my mouth.

“Sorry…” A woman with shoulder-length dark hair somewhere in her late twenties or early twenties, not quite sure, approached me. It was quite intimidating how she slowly walked towards me with her hands in her pockets and her eyes scanning my face. “Did you like it?”

I blinked several times. “What?”

She finally tore her eyes from mine and watched the display around us. “Everything. The display. Did anything catch your attention?”

“I ah…” I looked away from her and back to the furniture. “I am not into uhm ah… this kind of thing. Though I find everything pretty”

Her presence feels huge. She’s so small and yet there’s something commanding with the way she carries herself. It’s probably why she’s the president. Or who I think is the president. Jung Wheein.

“I’m afraid I haven’t introduced myself.” She reached a hand to me and said, “Jung Wheein. Nice to meet you”

With a shaky and clammy hand, I held her hand and shook it. “Kim Yongsun. Nice to meet you too, Miss Jung”

“Wheein. Please call me Wheein. Would you like to have a tour around before we discuss things?”

I slightly frowned at her. “I wish to stay but I still have classes in the afternoon”

“Oh.. Then shall we proceed to my office?”

“I just want to know something first”

She was about to lead the way but stopped upon hearing my request. She looked at me once again and only gave me a nod.

“Am I going to be your roommate… here?”

She shook her head. “No. This is where I work. You’re going to stay in my apartment if you will accept my offer”

I most definitely sighed with relief after that. And I think I was very obvious because of the tiny smirk on her face. I could only shyly smile at her.

She led me towards her office.

I expected, being the president, to be something a little fancy than just a simple desk, a couch, a table, and a drawing table with pencils, pens, ruler, and other drawing materials scattered on top of it. The view though is very wonderful. Something a president usually has. And with the display of marvelous furniture outside, everything here is a stark contrast to that.

She asked me to sit on the couch and offered drinks and snacks. The snacks were fancy.

“I assume you are still a student if you are attending classes”

“Yes”

My eyes only focused on the macarons and cupcakes on the table while my mouth watered on the treats. And I think she noticed my suppressed desire to taste them when she said, “Go ahead”

I hesitated for a second before giving it a go with a shrug. They are as tasty as they look.

“Let me cut to the chase. I need a roommate but I don’t require you to pay”

My eyes instantly widened while the piece of cake got stuck in my throat. “What?”

“Of course, it’s not for free if that’s what you’re thinking”

“So this is what the something more than the roommate you referred to?” I asked, gulping hard when she nodded. Suddenly, it’s a little too hard to swallow the tasty cupcakes and delicious macarons.

“It’s also not the kind of thing you’re thinking about right now. I just needed someone to clean the apartment. No need to clean my room. And then prepare meals for me. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I also need something else, I will be asking you to buy me what I need. Just that. Other than offering free rent, I will be paying you for all of those chores. We can negotiate on the price and the schedule since you’re still a student. So?”

I need to get my head clear. I was still too consumed by the treats when she said all of her conditions. I need to get my head straight.

“Hold up, I need to clarify something”

“Go ahead”

She waited for me to drink some water and clear my throat. And she did this while watching my movements carefully.

I felt like being scrutinized.

“So… I’ll be living with you, if I accepted the offer, shouldn’t I have the right to at least get to know you”

She nodded and it felt like I did something remarkable with the acknowledgement. “I’d like to do the same”

“Right… I guess I’ll start.” I gave myself a moment to breathe first because this was unexpectedly nerve-wracking. “I’m Kim Yongsun and I am in my last year as a music major student. I got kicked out of the university dorm because of accumulated bills and I’m in desperate need of a new place to stay and a work”

I offered a very unsteady smile as I unconsciously released a shaky breath.

She acknowledged it with another nod but this time with a teeny tiny smile. She doesn’t express herself much and is rather reserved. That’s what I noticed since we met.

“I am Jung Whee. I am the Art Director and the other owner of Wind Flower Furniture. Luckily, I can provide you with anything that you need”

Wow… that’s… Wow… It’s just that, the way she said it was too straightforward for me to handle. It made me blush and I don’t want to admit that.

I cleared my throat and reached for the glass of water to give myself enough time to compose myself. “I’m wondering… why not hire one of your employees for that? For what you need?”

“To separate work and personal life” she answered, which is very understandable.

“Hire someone else?”

She tipped her chin towards me while pointing her hand at me. “I’m hiring you”

“Friends?” I mentally cringed at that. I don’t even know why I asked that when it is such a stupid question.

She shook her head this time. “No one wanted”

“Hmm…”

I’m tempted to accept the offer. The opportunity just presented itself right in front of me. It just feels too easy to get here and that makes me uneasy. Although she already said what she asked me to do, what if she’ll ask more? She did say she’s looking for more than just a roommate.

And I can’t be deceived by her beautiful face, her strong jaw, her natural charms, and her presence. Damn it… I can’t be like this to my potential roommate.

“Tell you what,” Wheein said, “I’ll have my lawyer draft a contract for the lease and for your other responsibilities. I’ll give you time to review it and think about it over and over again. We can agree on the boundaries and rules as well as how much I’m paying you. Will that be okay?”

“Yes. I like that”

“Okay.” Wheein stood up and I hurriedly followed her, shaking her hand once again. “I hope we can reach an agreement, Miss Kim”

“Yes… Ah, me too, Miss Jung”

 

*****

 

It took me some time to answer Wheein’s proposed contract. She carefully laid down all conditions in detail so there wasn’t much that I have to add. Just on the boundaries and rules part. I have my own preferences I need to discuss with her.

With the lease and contract in my hand and my backpack slung on my shoulders, I marched into her company once again. Instead of going to the twelfth floor like last time, the receptionist directed me to the production floor.

Apparently, they have the showroom on the ground level as well as the production floor. Though their production floor is on the first three levels of this building. The light pieces were done on the higher levels while the heavy ones like tables, beds, desks, and closets were done on the lower levels. That’s what the receptionist said earlier. She also said that I can find Wheein on the third level,

It’s where I am now.

As I exited the elevator hallway, the entire floor was very open and was only divided into sections. The closest to me had workers hunch over their table with desk lamps on, allowing them to clearly see the details they needed to add. Upon looking closely, they’re decorating mirrors.

I have no idea where to go so I just helplessly stand in the middle of the room. I scanned my eyes around, hoping to see Wheein. By the time a guard approached me, I still hadn't found Wheein.

“Anything I can help you, mam? Are you looking for someone?” the guard asked.

In all fairness, their staff members are all approachable and polite.

“I’m looking for Wheein? The receptionist directed me on this floor”

Upon hearing Wheein’s name, the guard was immediately alerted and escorted me to wherever Wheein was. He mentioned a prototype room earlier so maybe we’re heading there.

The prototype room was on the side of the floor and thankfully, not too far from the elevators. I found Wheein in heavy discussion with two people. One was in a full black suit with striking red hair. The other one wore the same uniform as the other employees.

My eyes automatically landed on Wheein’s arms. On the colorful tattoos inked on them. I never noticed them on my first time here because of her jacket. But with only a shirt now, I had to force myself to look away when the guard knocked, gathering their attention.

“Is this the new roommate, Wheenie?” the one in a suit asked while my ears perked up at the endearment.

“Potential. Potential roommate, Jin-ah. And you’re supposed to be waiting in my office”

“Oh, don’t scare her” the one in suit reprimanded. “I’d like to meet her, actually.” She reached her hand towards me while I gave her a bow before shaking her hand. “I’m Hyejin. Nice to meet you”

“You too. And ah… the receptionist said I’ll go here instead of your office”

“See! It’s not her fault.” Hyejin glared at Wheein before giving me a smile that’s both welcoming and intimidating. “Please take good care of my best friend. She needs some pampering for working way too much”

What? I blinked several times, confused. I looked at Wheein next, wanting clarification.

She only sighed as she headed to exit the room. She stopped next to me and said, “Please don’t mind her. You want to discuss the contract?”

I nodded, unable to speak due to bewilderment. I know the agreement is only on being a roommate and working on her errands. But pampering?

“Let’s head to my office. The receptionist must’ve gotten confused with my instructions. You’re not supposed to be here. Come on”

My jaw hardened as I shut my mouth. I felt bad and felt like being scolded. It’s not my fault at all.

“I’ll come back after this, Hyejin-ah”

“Wheein”

She stopped to face her best friend while I stayed a respectful distance away. But even so, I still heard her best friends reprimanding her to be gentle.

There’s a stark contrast with the Wheein I met the first time and this Wheein now. This was the personification of the woman who answered my call when I was looking for a roommate. There’s something unwelcoming in her demeanor but it was in her eyes that I felt less nervous yesterday.

I’m not quite sure now. I’m not quite sure about the roommate also, but there was no better deal than what she’s offering. I’ll have to force myself to deal with her. For whatever her deal is.

I followed her to the elevator and it was quite awkward on our way up to the twelfth floor. I refused to speak first and she never bothered speaking either. And so, it was quiet and that quietness was a little suffocating. I could only breathe when the elevator doors opened.

We were also silent on the way to her office. I followed like a sad puppy.

“I didn’t expect you’ll want to see me now so I only have water this time,” she said, searching with a frown in the contents of her mini fridge.

“That’s fine”

I took a seat on the couch and prepared the contract. She filled two glasses with water and placed mine on the table while she half-emptied her own glass. She took the seat opposite of me.

“And I apologize about earlier. We never allow outsiders inside the production floor. I have faced several legal issues with other companies copying my designs, claiming it as theirs. It’s just… I just don’t want to deal with that again.” And in a whisper, she said, “Don’t want to lose my hard work”

“I’m sorry. And I understand”

She cleared and reached for the contracts. “You have your notes in here?”

While reading my additions on the contract, I found myself studying Wheein. There’s lightness in her voice unlike in the prototype room. But there’s still this stoicness in her face, a puzzle that’s a little hard to read. I thought I could easily decipher her thoughts but I think, if Hyejin didn’t talk to her earlier, I doubt she’d speak her mind. I doubt I’d understand her.

I also noticed she doesn’t speak much. Like every word was articulated perfectly but each of them was thought carefully. There was no need for her to speak unless it was absolutely necessary.

“Can you expound on being loud?” she said.

“I’m a music major. I have a guitar with me. I have recitals, practices, and composing to do. If my room is too suffocating for me to be inspired to write a song, I might move in the kitchen, dining area, or in the living room. Of course, I wouldn’t do that unless it’s okay with you. We’re working on a musical and I have an upcoming recital for my term project. I might annoy you because of how loud I can be”

“Will you be bringing classmates in the apartment?” she asked, eyebrows furrowing.

I instantly shook my head. “No. If I have group projects, we usually do that in the university”

“Will it be okay with you if I specify that in the contract?”

“Yes, that’s fine”

She relaxed a little with my answer. “I don’t mind the noise. Just… no parties or anyone else in the apartment. I value my privacy” she mumbled.

“Of course. I’m not into parties either so I think we’re good with that”

She moved closer to me on the couch to write on the table. I watched her add a line on the contract. Her pen moved along the lines as she continued reading my notes on the contract.

We reached the salary part. She initially offered me a huge amount of money, which I crossed out and changed with a smaller value. This time, she crossed out the value and brought it back to the original one.

“What?” I gasped. 

“I told you, I’ll provide everything”

“What?”

“I will provide everything”

“Isn’t it too much?”

She stared at me for a while and I felt bad asking the question. “Are you fine being my roommate or not?”

Is this a test?

“Yes,” I hesitantly answered.

“Then I don’t think there is anything else we need to discuss. My lawyer will process this. All you need to do is sign after reviewing the contract once more”

“But—”

“Contact me again when you’ll be vacant so I can give you a tour in the apartment.” She stood up and reached a hand to me.

I eyed her and her hand. Shouldn’t we discuss the salary more?

“I guess, you’ll be my new roommate now, Yongsun”

Somehow, that forced me to stand up and shake her hand. “I guess so…”

 

*****

 

“How’s the roommate thing going on?”

“Hmm…” I only hummed as I chewed on my food first. “It’s fine. Apart from I need to wake up in the morning because I have to make our breakfast and Wheein’s lunch. She’s an early-riser. I also have to send dinner to her office since she always comes home late”

I fully understand now why Hyejin, her best friend, told me to pamper her. Wheein is such a hard worker. She wakes up for work and goes to sleep after being so overworked. I never caught her getting home because she always arrives home late, except for one instance. But she brought her dinner to her office in her penthouse and continued working.

And it’s a penthouse. Not an apartment.

“I’ve been living a luxurious life since I moved in. She owns a penthouse in the high district of Seoul. The view, oh I love the view so much”

The living room, dining area, and kitchen all share one space. One room is for Wheein’s office. Never got a glimpse in there. On the right side, upon entrance, is her bedroom and across from that is mine. At first, I thought I got the master’s bedroom but I guess everything in her house is just spacious and expensive.

Her kitchen is fully furnished. I thought of just buying her meals because she never really specified how I’m going to feed her but no! Oh, I love cooking in her kitchen. Her fridge. Her humongous, double-door fridge is filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. It’s a waste not to use them all.

“I could see that.” Byulyi pointed at my face and said, “The dark bags have been gone now”

“Who wouldn’t? The sheets are so fragrant and soft. After grinding hard for the upcoming musical and recital, I deserved a good sleep. And I get to buy myself a keyboard and a recording microphone set”

Byulyi laughed at my exaggerated movements as I described this amazing feeling. She even reached over and annoyingly poked at my cheeks.

Also, on top of everything, I get to eat what I want with the amount Wheein’s paying for me.

“So she owns Wind Flower Furniture, you said?”

I nodded. “Why? You know that?”

“I heard that they provided the plush seats for our newly-renovated theater. And they're a known supplier of furniture for hotels all around South Korea. I heard that they have customers around the world too.” She shrugged while I was wondering how she knew all about this. “I bet the furniture in her house came from their company”

“I doubt” I said, making her raise an eyebrow. “I’ve seen the intricate designs in their showroom before. Wheein’s furniture is so plain. Comfortable but plain. Or maybe she designed it specifically like that because she has the same designs are the ones in her office”

Just as we finished lunch, the bell rang to signal the five-minute mark before the start of the next class. We brought our trays to the trash and threw all the contents before leaving them in the washing area.

“Seulgi and I want to try the new café near the university. Do you want to come? You can bring Sodam?”

“I still have to memorize my lines. I got busy with moving so I need to catch up. Practice will start soon”

“Okay!”

Upon leaving the canteen, we separated in the hallway while waving at each other. She headed for the photography department while I was heading for the music department.

Before reaching my department, I’ll have to pass by the acting department, which is where Sodam is. She was heading for the canteen when I saw her down the hallway.

She instantly smiled when our eyes met and waved her hand at me. I couldn’t help but laugh at seeing her impatient steps to get closer to me.

“Yongsun, hi.” She sounded breathless when we were one step from each other. “Are you done with lunch?”

“Yup. Byulyi and I ate together”

“Speaking of Byulyi, she invited me to try the new café down the street. Would you like to come?”

I smiled sadly as I shook my head. “I’d love to but I still have the musical. I have to memorize my lines and catch up after I got busy with moving. You can join them if you want”

She looked too dejected when I declined her offer and I felt bad. I felt the need to console her.

“Why don’t you run lines with me?” I playfully elbowed her shoulder to cheer her up. “I definitely need some tips on acting and I know someone who’s good at it”

She finally let out a giggle and her face instantly relaxed. “I’ll just go with Byul to buy drinks and sweets from the new café. And then we can practice your lines here in school”

“Sounds great. I’ll see you later, Sodam”

“You too, Yong-ah”

My next classes were a series of classes for my music theory and composition major. We were reminded once again of our recitals and I haven’t started composing yet. Between the musical and the recital, the recital will happen first so I really need to start working overtime for these two things on top of my other courses.

Once my classes were done, I reached for my phone to see if I got any texts from Sodam. She said we can meet in the university’s open amphitheater to run my lines. Most of the students majoring in acting stay there to practice so it’s not going to be awkward practicing there.

Usually, me and my classmates in my music classes stay in the music room where we can access a wide array of instruments. However, these students solely focus on making music. I’ll get really shy trying to act in front of them.

“Yong-ah!” Sodam called and waved at me at the very top of the theatron.

I waved back before I started heading towards the top of the theater. Gosh, if I don’t exercise regularly I’d have a hard time climbing the stairs all the way to Sodam.

“I envy you” she said the moment I was on the same level as hers.

“Why?” I inquired, chuckling at the frown on her face.

“How come you still look so calm when I almost died trying to reach this spot”

I only laughed at her. I don’t even sound like I was losing breath when I was laughing at her. And that reason even fueled the glare she was throwing at me.

For someone who’s so good-natured and calm, she does this so often while around me. My friends always see Sodam as the collective one, the bringer of peace, the eye in the storm. They say I am the storm due to my clumsiness between the two of us. And I keep convincing them otherwise because I know this side of Sodam.

They just don’t want to be convinced while Sodam is just entertained seeing me convince my friends.

I sat beside her and brought the scripts out of my bag. “Shall we start?” I asked her.

“Before that, try these first. They’re refreshing. And the cake’s delicious!”

I laughed at her burst of energy and accepted all the treats. “Okay, okay”

 

*****

 

In the middle of running lines with Sodam, we took a break and I checked my phone for any messages. As I saw Wheein’s name, I hurriedly packed my stuff and dumped them all in my bag while explaining to Sodam what’s happening as fast as I can.

I got so engrossed in practicing that I hadn’t noticed the time. It was already eight in the evening and Wheein had sent me a text asking for her dinner.

I just ran. I ran as fast as I could. I know I didn’t have the time to cook for her so I just bought something for her.

My phone rang when I was near Wheein’s penthouse. I reached inside my pocket to answer my phone, balancing it on my shoulder as I entered the passcode.

“Hello”

“Yong-ah, are you okay? You left in a hurry. I was worried”

I pushed the door open and kicked my shoes off. I almost slipped on the doorway earlier. I’ll fix my shoes later, which was the cause of the accident. I’ll set up Wheein’s dinner first.

“Yes. Just need to come back to the apartment. I’m sorry, Sodam. I appreciate you reading lines with me. Thank you so much. And for the treats too. I’ll pay you later”

“Don’t. I’ll take it on me”

“But—”

My words got stuck in my throat when I saw Wheein standing in the middle of the kitchen. Her back was to me so she hasn’t seen me yet but I’m sure she has already heard me.

“I’ll talk to you soon. Bye and thank you” I whispered and ended the call.

I was brought back to the time she scolded me for being on the production floor. It felt like that but maybe three times worse. I’m just hoping she’ll let me off the hook because this is the first time I made a mistake. But she’s really hard to read.

“Wheein, I—”

I was about to apologize and tell her I brought her dinner when she turned around with a tray in her hold. On top of the tray are bowls of steaming food. She brought herself dinner and the look she was giving me froze me in place. Froze everything inside me.

“I’m really sorry” I started, “I know it’s all my fault. I hadn’t noticed the time. I was practicing lines with a friend and I didn’t realize it was already late”

She only looked at me and didn’t say anything. And her gaze, she didn’t have to tell me anything to let me know what she felt. She’s mad and disappointed. I could see those clearly in her eyes, shooting me like daggers and making me feel a tiny ache in my chest.

“Wheein…”

I called but she looked away and headed for her office with her dinner.

It’s so much worse to receive the silent treatment than being scolded. She didn’t even slam the door. She just walked silently to her office. How am I supposed to deal with this now?

She obviously had dinner but I decided to still give her her portion. I set them all up on the kitchen counter since she loves to eat there. Then I helplessly sat on the stool as I waited for her to come out.

I haven’t had dinner yet but Sodam bought treats for us. It was enough to fuel me while waiting for Wheein.

My watch read nine in the evening. I still stayed waiting. When it was past ten, I started feeling hungry but Wheein hasn’t come out yet. It felt really rude to eat although she must’ve eaten in her office. By the time it reached eleven, I was already losing hope. I rested my arms on the counter and closed my eyes while leaning my forehead on my crossed arms.

I know it’s entirely my fault why I’m suffering like this but it’s hard to deal with someone who’s obviously mad that I don’t know that much yet. If this was any of my friends, I’d know what to do to earn their forgiveness. With Wheein, I couldn’t act like nothing happened when I obviously did something.

And as I contemplated on what to do, I wanted to cry due to this helplessness.

I don’t know how long I stayed hunched over the kitchen counter. Apparently, it was too long that I fell asleep. I was awoken by a light tap on my shoulder before I felt a pat on my head.

I feel a little groggy as I rub my eyes off of sleep. I had to blink a few times until the figure in front of me became clearer. And I instantly sat up when it was Wheein.

“Wheein, I ah…” I pushed the bowls towards her and placed the chopsticks close to her. “Dinner. I’m really sorry—”

“Have you eaten dinner?”

I stopped fussing over the bowls upon her question. And it’s as if I wasn’t embarrassed enough, my stomach growled at the mention of dinner. I casted my head down and shyly shook my head.

She grabbed all the bowls and walked around the kitchen counter. She placed them all in the microwave and started heating them all up. I wasn’t sure what to do while she heated up the food so I took that opportunity to apologize.

“I’m sorry. I know it’s written in the contract that I should prepare all your meals and it was a huge mistake of mine that I forgot the time. I’ll set up an alarm to remind me of my responsibilities. I hope you don’t kick me out. I really got nowhere else to go”

She placed the bowls back on the kitchen counter before she sat across from me. “Eat. It’s already late and as a student, you shouldn’t skip your meals”

“What about you?”

“Will it assure you if I join you?”

I nodded. I think she’s still mad at me but at least it might be a sign that she has forgiven me. Or a step closer to that.

She grabbed a chopstick for herself and started eating.

I did the same but less gracious than her because I was way too hungry.

And eating with her, it unexpectedly felt good. I’ve been glancing at her face from time to time, trying to be subtle. There’s something about how quiet and reserved she is, her stoic expression, that’s drawing me towards her. By any means, I don’t like her, romantically speaking, but she’s mysterious. And sometimes, I find myself studying her.

When she drinks her coffee on the balcony and I am preparing for our breakfast, I catch myself watching and staring at her. I only know her as the owner and art director of their company and that her best friend is the other owner. And that’s it. I don’t know anything else but that.

There was even a moment that I looked up their company. There was so little said about her, which was a huge contrast to her best friend. Hyejin is their managing director and the face of Wind Flower Furniture. They held events but in the news, there was no sight of her.

“Run your lines with me next time” she suddenly said, driving me away from my thoughts.

“What?”

Her eyes landed on mine and I’m trying my best not to cough because I was caught off guard by her gaze.

“Run your lines with me next time so you wouldn’t have to miss dinner”

I found myself opening and closing my mouth several times, unable to answer her. It was such an odd request, much more coming from her.

“But your work?”

She shrugged. “I can work here”

“But Sodam, my friend, she’s an acting major. She was giving me advices on how to act”

“I know someone who’s an acting coach. Do you want me to call them?”

“What? No!” This time, I wasn’t able to stop myself from coughing. I almost spit my food out.

“Then run your lines with me. I also saw that you own a keyboard. I can play that while you practice the songs”

Watching her closely, I realized something about her demeanor. She was just pushing her food in the bowl. Her eyes never left her bowl since she offered to run lines with me. Her shoulders hunched over. Totally opposite of how she was the first time I met her.

“Wheein…”

She finally looked up to meet my eyes.

“Is it really okay with you?”

She only shrugged.

This nonchalant front was a way to cover her shy self. And it’s adorable. Really adorable. And really cute of her.

I found myself smiling as I gave her a nod. “Thank you. That’ll be a huge help”

“You’re welcome. Finish your food.” She carried her bowl with her and placed it by the sink before heading to her room. “Good night, Yongsun”

 

*****

 

Wheein has been coming home early since she offered to run lines with me. It was awkward having to act in front of her but she’s been nothing but encouraging. I do not see her as someone into acting but she has been giving me helpful advice.

As for my recital, surprisingly, she was very keen at helping me write and compose. She mostly helped with the composition and left the lyrics to me. She played the keyboard while I sang and played the guitar. She’s very meticulous too. I somehow found my match.

Byulyi has been complaining about how I tend to be perfectionist and how I tend to tire myself to achieve that perfection.

“You should’ve met Wheein. She’d irritate you even more” I told her one time.

“You’ve been spending so much time with your roommate”

I nodded as I blew on my steamy soup and drank it. “She’s helping me with my recital. She plays the keyboard. Her voice is really beautiful too”

That’s one of the things I discovered about my roommate. She’s not only talented in art, but she’s also gifted in music. She knows how to play the piano and guitar and her voice sounds so heavenly. I’d sometimes get insecure having to sing in front of her but she’s been nothing but supportive.

“Will you invite her to your recital?” Sodam asked.

I have been thinking about it but I have disturbed her work these past few days. And I’m too shy to ask her.

“I’ll probably ask her tonight. But knowing her, she’s very busy”

“But not too busy to run lines with you” Sodam grumbled beside me.

I frowned at her. I signaled Byulyi and Seulgi if they could leave us and give us space. “Thank you” I whispered to them.

Once left alone, I turned to Sodam and stopped her from torturing her noodles. “Sodam…” I whispered, “I’m sorry, okay? But you know I worked for Wheein now and she’s been nothing but helpful. Are you mad that I’m not running my lines with you anymore”

“Yong, you know what I feel. You know my intentions. Is there any possibility that you can return them?”

I sighed heavily. We’ve had this conversation for several times now.

“Sodam… I appreciate your honesty but you know that I only see you as my dear friend. I can’t be more than that to you. You know I tried. We tried and we failed miserably. I thought we have an understanding about this before”

“I know… it’s just that, this Wheein, you’ve been talking about her a lot, spending time with her”

“Are you telling me you’re jealous?”

“Of course, I am!”

“Sodam…” I sighed, turning away from her. “She’s my roommate and my employer. It is expected that I spend time with her but that doesn’t make you less of a friend to me. It doesn’t mean that I also like her”

“I know…” She closed her eyes to groan while I could only frown and pat her shoulder. “It’s just…” She looked at me and desperately searched for my eyes. “Just… I have no chance at all? Yong?”

“I’m sorry, Sodam”

She looked away and tried her best not to cry. She even smiled at me but we both know it doesn’t reach her eyes. “Will you be at our play?”

“You know I’ll be there”

“Okay… I should get going. I still have classes. And you too, Yong.” She lifted her tray and left me on the table.

I never bothered to chase her because I know she needs the distance.

Sodam has been a great friend. We’ve known each other since we both started attending the university. I treated her like how I normally would treat my friends. I just didn’t realize that she sees me more than a friend.

She asked me once and at that time, I was very surprised. I didn’t know she had suppressed such intense feelings and affections for me. The first time she confessed was difficult and we got awkward. But we patched things up.

The second time she asked me, it was her birthday. And I agreed to try out of pure mercy. I don’t want to hurt my friend either. We tried and she was very sweet but I know deep down, it’s not working. I have affections for her but it was only up to being her friend.

We called it quits and decided that we were really not meant to be. We were fine but she started acting up ever since I started talking about Wheein.

And what I said was true. Doesn’t mean I have feelings for Wheein or that I like her. I don’t even know much about Wheein enough to call her my friend. She’s just been very helpful, lately.

It was already a little late when I got back to Wheein’s apartment. I have already informed her that I might not be able to prepare her dinner since practices for the musical have already started. There’s also the recitals too.

Wheein was surprisingly in the living room when I arrived. She glanced behind her at hearing my entrance. “Dinner’s on the counter. You can heat it up” she said before turning her attention back to her TV.

“Thank you,” I said. I dragged myself first on the couch and plopped down beside her. “What are you watching?”

She grabbed the folder I was hugging to my chest and placed it on the table. Next was my bag. She placed it beside my scripts on the table. Then she made me hug a throw pillow while I wasn’t able to silence my audible sigh of relief.

“The company’s founding anniversary”

My ears perked up from that. “Your company?” I asked and she nodded. “Why aren’t you there?”

She only shrugged as she took a sip from her beer can. “I don’t do that anymore”

I sat up and moved a little closer to her. “Why? I mean… if you don’t mind telling me. But you don’t have to answer that. Sorry… that was too intrusive of me. I do remember you value your privacy so yeah… Sorry”

Despite my stuttering mess, it made her smile as she drank once again. Yehey… at least I made her smile.

We watched as Hyejin walked up to the stage and stood behind the podium. She made a speech about the company’s success over the years and thanked everyone behind that success. Then she pointed a finger directly at us while smirking mischievously at the camera.

“I know you’re watching. Take care of yourself, okay?” Then she blew a kiss and waved as she said, “Love you!”

I turned to Wheein and asked, “That one’s for you, right?”

She hummed and answered my question with a tiny nod. After seeing Hyejin walk down the stage, Wheein reached for the remote and turned the TV off. Our faces were now reflected on the screen. We were watching each other closely.

“It was because of a controversy that I stopped attending company events,” Wheein suddenly confessed.

I turned away from the TV screen to look at the person beside me. She doesn’t often talk about herself while I have already shared a lot of things with her, especially when we were working on my song for my recital.

“I got associated with a girl and she took advantage of my vulnerability. I thought I could trust her but she only used them for the amount of money the paparazzis are willing to pay for such information. I got outed without consent. It was a trying time for the company. And I’m sorry if I can only offer so much information about myself. I promise I have nothing illegal with me so I hope you’re not scared of me. I can, however, offer help to make up for that”

“Was it tough?” I asked. I know it’s a stupid question but I wanted to hear her thoughts.

“It was… Hyejin has to double her efforts in keeping the company’s name clean once again”

The gravity of her confession made me sigh and hug the pillow a little harder.

I wanted her to trust me. I wanted to let her know that I am willing to listen to her woes. I’ve proven us to be a great team when we worked on my musical and recital. We can be a team when dealing with our problems too.

And I wanted to start by telling her my own problems too. By letting her know that I trust her in return.

“My friend confessed to me again. We’ve been great friends since I entered university. I had no idea she was harboring feelings already. The first time she confessed, I had to decline and make her understand that I only see her as my friend. She asked again on her birthday and as a desperate move to avoid conflict, I agreed to try. It didn’t work. She asked me again when we had lunch because she got jealous of you” I chuckled to myself, feeling myself blush at the admission. “I’ve started talking about you to my friends and she thought that I like you or that we’re together. And I felt bad because I never wanted to hurt her”

“You did the right thing by being honest”

“I know… it’s just… it hurts me too seeing how sad she is. As much as I’d love to give her what she wants, I couldn’t. I tried and I couldn’t”

“Hmm…”

I saw her moving to face me on the couch and so I did the same and faced her.

“Thank you for sharing”

“I just want you to know that I trust you and that you can trust me. We can be friends too, Wheein”

She only nodded and never allowed me in her thoughts but I understand.

“It’s already late. Have some dinner. I’ll retire to my bed early”

She gave my head a pat. It was such a simple gesture and yet it felt so much more to me. Like an approval I never thought I needed. Tingles run all over my body, making me feel warm.

“Good night, Yongsun”

“Hey, Wheein”

She stopped by the counter to face me again, eyebrows raised in question.

“My recital’s next week already. I know you helped me with my song. I just uhm… I wanted to ask if you want to be there. But if you’re busy that’s fine, really”

“I’ll be there,” she said without any hesitation. “Anything else?”

I gratefully smiled at her and shook my head. “Nothing anymore. Thank you and good night, Wheein”

 

*****

 

Everyone around me was scrambling for last-minute preparations while others were already lined up, waiting for their names to be called. I was just sitting in front of a vanity mirror provided for us and making sure that nothing was amiss with my makeup and my dress.

It’s finally the day of our recitals.

Everyone is nervous so there’s a high chance of getting on people’s nerves if you go against their way. Musical producers, songwriters, and composers are all invited to watch us perform. We have to impress our professors, but most especially them since there’s a high chance of working with them without the need to go through the 'struggling musician' phase before hitting mainstream.

I have made a couple of songs on my own and have received compliments from my classes but this is the real deal now. Everything all boils down to this.

“Are you nervous?”

I caught a glimpse of Byulyi in the mirror, raising her camera to capture a photo of me. I tried my best to smile but I could feel my lips shaking from nervousness.

I released that nervousness out of my system in a shaky breath. “Yes… very much nervous”

“You’re going to be fine. I’ve heard your song and it’s beautiful. I’m sure everyone will think so”

“That’s what Wheein also said but I don’t know…”

At the mention of Wheein’s name, she raised an eyebrow at me before narrowing her gaze in skepticism.

“Will we finally see your roommate?”

“She said she’ll be here so yes”

“Looking forward to that” she whispered to herself before taking another photo of me.

I presented the final song to Wheein last night. I sang to her with my guitar while she accompanied me with the keyboard. It was a fun and less stressful way of finishing my output. Her voice blended with mine pretty well, which completes the song.

I would’ve loved to sing and play with her today but we’re not allowed to ask someone who’s not a student to accompany us on our recital. And that is why I asked Sujin. Her voice is closest to Wheein among the lower year music major students. I’m just hoping to find her somewhere in the audience later. That way, it’ll just be like in her living room with music sheets spread out in front of us and exhausted sighs exchanged here and there. Someone would just suddenly giggle because we might have gone crazy.

I really dragged Wheein into my mess, giving her more stress when I know she’s pretty busy with work.

“Hey…” I greeted Sujin with a gentle smile. “You nervous?”

“I should be the one asking you that,” she said with a nervous giggle.

“Thank you for doing this with me. Don’t forget to come along with my friends for dinner after this. My treat. Don’t worry.” I gave her a playful wink to lighten the mood.

“Thank you, Yongsun. It’s also an honor to play with you”

“It’s almost showtime so be ready any minute now, okay?”

She nodded obediently. “I will”

We exchanged a few more cheers for each other until my professor, Mrs. Jin, called my attention. I hurriedly went to her, feeling more nervous now because I know it’s almost time.

“Yes, Mrs. Jin”

“You will be up next to Mr. Lau so be ready. Mr. Yok is already performing. Mr. Lau is next to him”

“Okay”

I left Mrs. Jin in a hurry to get Sujin. Byulyi was my only friend allowed backstage to avoid congestion. She gave me a hug of good luck before she ran off to join our other friends offstage.

When we were already waiting on the side, Henry was already getting ready onstage. I’m trying to take a peek at the audience to go find my friends. Byulyi said they will be somewhere near the stage on the left side. I found them somewhere on the third row seats. I go to find Wheein next. The spotlights were too bright for me to clearly see the faces of the audience. Mrs. Jin had to scold me because I poked my head too far.

“You’re distracting our guests”

“Sorry, Mrs. Jin. Just wanted to look for my friends to be less nervous”

Henry is a musical genius. The theater was filled with loud cheers and claps when he finished his set. To follow his act will be a tough challenge. I’m just hoping they will separate my performance and his.

When my name was called, I gave Sujin an encouraging smile before we headed to the stage. She stayed on the side with the keyboard while the spotlight was on me with my guitar.

“Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Kim Yongsun and I will be performing my own song. I hope you like it”

Once I’m done with my introductions, I readied my fingers on the strings and fret of my guitar before glancing at Sujin. We wordlessly counted together before my guitar and the keyboard filled the entire theater.

I closed my eyes to sing and imagined Wheein was with me so I wouldn’t be nervous. I wouldn’t mind the presence of our guest that could potentially determine my future as an aspiring musician. I just sang with all my heart like what Wheein advised me to do.

I thanked Sujin after we finished performing. She had the luxury to leave while I had to wait for the closing act. Time went too fast after the performance. Quite the opposite of how it was while I was waiting to perform.

We received the loudest cheers and claps after we finished the closing act. I brought my guitar with me to the main lobby in the theater to meet my friends. Once I saw them, I ran to them, exhilarated because months of preparation felt like it already paid off. I just feel good even without the results yet.

“Yongsun-ah!”

They welcomed me with hugs and lots of congratulations. I was nothing but smiles and shy giggles. I was blushing red the entire time.

“So where’s the roommate?” Byulyi asked, looking around.

I did the same. “I hadn't found her in the audience earlier. She said she’d be here. Hold up. Let me text her”

I let Sodam hold my precious guitar to rummage my phone in my backpack. There’s no text from Wheein so I’m not quite sure if she’s here. She did promise although I don’t think she’ll show herself, especially after her confession.

“Miss Kim”

I looked up from my phone to find Ireh, Wheein’s secretary, standing near our circle.

“Is this Wheein?” Byulyi whispered beside me.

I shook my head before I smiled at Ireh. “Ireh, hi. What are you doing here?”

She walked towards me and handed me a huge bouquet of colorful flowers. “The president sends her congratulations”

“Oh…” I was dumbfounded.

“And her deepest regret for not being able to come. She had an emergency meeting with Miss Ahn tonight. She also made it clear that I hand the flowers to you personally and asked me to record your performance. I already sent it to her. I hope you don’t mind”

“So she’s not here?” I felt the need to ask even though Ireh perfectly articulated it well earlier.

She sadly smiled and shook her head. “I’m sorry. I want you to know that the President really felt bad. She said she promised to come but she couldn’t leave Miss Ahn. She gravely regretted not being here. I’m sorry”

“It’s fine, Ireh. I’m sure she has important matters to tend to.” I tried not to sound too disappointed but by the look on my friends’ faces, I wasn’t too subtle at all. “Please also send my thanks to Wheein. And the recording is fine, Ireh. Nothing to worry about that”

“Thank you, Miss Kim. Also”—she handed me a card that I refused to touch—“for you. She said to use as much as you want to treat yourself and your friends out”

I vehemently shook my head and even took a step back. I pushed the card back to Ireh. “Oh no. We’re fine, Ireh. And don’t you dare hand me that card again”

Ireh was torn between what Wheein asked her to do and what I wanted to happen. She was about to hand me the card and reason with me but I refused to accept it.

“No. And thank you. I’m sure she needs you now so you better get going”

“But Miss Kim—”

“If Wheein dared to scold you, call me. She’ll have to answer to me so don’t be scared”

“I… Ah…” She finally gave up and I felt so proud of myself for coming up with such a decision. “Okay. Please do note that she snuck a card in the flowers”

“Okay. Thank you, Ireh”

“Thank you too, Miss Kim”

She left me with a bow and a few more to my friends, which we all returned.

I drowned the questions from my friends and grabbed Wheein’s letter on the bouquet.
 

Yongsun,

I’m sorry I couldn’t make it. Love to be there but something came up.
But even if I wasn’t there, I know you’ll do great. I know your hardwork will pay off.
To make up for not fulfilling my promise, I have a reservation at a resort next weekend.
Hyejin was supposed to come with me but she has business to attend to.
I’m hoping you’ll indulge me in this invitation.

Wheein
 

I didn’t realize that I was smiling goofily until my friends pointed it out. My disappointment was easily washed away.

 

*****

 

“Careful,” Wheein warned, holding onto my arm to keep me steady after I slipped on my own.

We grabbed our bags from her car’s trunk and headed to the reception area. I accepted Wheein’s invite to the pool resort. It’ll be just a weekend vacation, a short one, but it’ll definitely help me relax for the upcoming musical and probably her, from her work.

As we climbed the stairs, I once again slipped on the steps. I shyly smiled at Wheein who sighed in disapproval.

“I shall keep you close to save you from yourself, shouldn’t I?”

“It’s fine. I can handle myself”

The look she threw at me made me giggle as I playfully hit her s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter