Kim Yerim

Paint Me Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NO ENTRY

AUTHORISED PERSONNEL 

ONLY

 

“Are you sure I’m allowed to enter?” Joohyun jested upon reading the sign on the glass door. “And are the handcuffs really necessary? It’s like you have too little faith in me. You know I’m unlike those rogue vampires that will try to escape or attack anyone in here.”

 

“It’s the newest model our R&D sector came up with recently. They’re supposed to be almost unbreakable that even the strongest of vampires or any other creatures won’t be able to uncuff themselves easily. It uses the same material as the ones we use for our holding cells.”

 

“Ah, so I’m the test subject right now,” Joohyun said, attempting to pull the handcuffs apart.

 

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Yongsun warned.

 

“Why—” A sharp jolt was sent throughout her body, causing Joohyun to hiss in slight discomfort. Seeing a small remote in the doctor’s hand, she scowled. “Electricity, really?”

 

“This function seems to be working perfectly fine,” Yongsun smiled innocently. “If it was stronger, do you think your heart would start beating like a regular human being?”

 

“Just take me to the Newling already,” Joohyun grumbled. She could tell Yongsun was suppressing her laughter as she kept the remote in the pocket of her lab coat before swiping her access card to open the door. 

 

Purposely shoving the doctor aside to enter the room first, she did not expect to be caught in a sudden chokehold, her legs hanging off the floor slightly. Usually, her senses were sharp and she could have reacted faster, however, still feeling slightly disarray after the sudden shock and also having her movements restricted by the handcuffs, she could only stay limp, knowing Yongsun would eventually help her out of the situation.

 

“You have no heartbeat,” she heard her attacker say, voice slightly raspy and Joohyun might have shuddered a little with the way her breath tickled her ear. “You’re not human.”

 

“You sound disappointed.” That was Yongsun’s voice.

 

Flick.

 

The lights were finally after a minute. (It felt like five minutes to Joohyun.)

 

She let out a grunt when she got released and landed on the floor with a thud. If she knew this was the treatment she was getting, she wouldn’t have agreed to help the doctor. The Newling could die for all she cared.

 

“Are the lights too bright for you?”

 

Joohyun frowned again. Was Yongsun really ignoring her presence? Pushing herself to sit upright, she saw the supposed Newling curled on the bed in front of her, shielding her eyes from the bright lights.

 

“Dim the lights a little,” she instructed the doctor. “It takes time for a Newling to adjust their eyes to the lighting. Also, can you release me from these handcuffs first? If she attacks you all of a sudden, I won’t be able to protect you.”

 

Yongsun snorted. “I’m trained in self-defense against Underworld creatures like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter