Two

In Their Natural Habitat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ceremony

 

Yonsei University.

In the vibrant heart of Seoul, South Korea, there stood a famous international university. It was a dream cherished by many, but only the fortunate could claim a spot within its hallowed halls. This institution was renowned for its exacting standards, encompassing academics, the arts, and sports—a true bastion of balance.

Yonsei was a beacon, especially esteemed for its faculties of Engineering, Business, Management, and Technology. The campus was a treasure trove of resources, nurturing both the minds and well-being of its students through libraries and recreational havens. The university was deeply invested in its students, guiding not only their academic pursuits but also tending to their social, psychological, and physical health. It was a place that welcomed all, offering limited scholarships to those in need and those who had exceeded expectations.

On the athletic front, Yonsei boasted an expansive football field and an Olympic-sized swimming pool, catering to its sports enthusiasts, particularly its athletes. A rich tapestry of clubs and organizations thrived, encouraging students to explore their interests beyond the classroom.

To declare oneself a Yonsei student was to bask in admiration, for these individuals were celebrated for their values and dignity, bringing pride to their alma mater.

Well, except for some.

 

 

The first-day ceremony at the Session Hall played out just as unexciting as ever. It featured the customary greetings, warnings, and talks that schools typically have. This was the part where the school's President would step up to speak, leading the teenagers in the hall to respond with their usual indifference. It was a scene familiar to any school.

Following the President's address, an opening event arranged by the University's student council took place. It served as a brief respite from the speeches given by the department heads from each academic department. The seniors took the stage to deliver various performances, providing an entertaining distraction.

For Kazuha, this marked her first absence from the University's dance troupe, since during the summer practice sessions, she and her family had gone overseas for vacation.

 

Due to sheer boredom, many students took advantage of the opening activity as an opportunity to sneakily check their phones and update their social media. Unfortunately, the University, known for its strict rules, had teachers and staff patrolling the hall to confiscate any gadgets used against the rules. So, students had to use their phones discreetly. Others chatted quietly about their summer vacations, travels, and various topics, while a few simply let their minds wander.

Ryujin was one of them.

What if cats have secret conventions where they discuss mysteries of the universe, like 'Why do humans always think we want their attention?' Meow meow meow-

Ahhhh! This is so boring. I want to play some PC gam—oh!

With a sudden idea, she turned her head excitedly to the left and whispered to Yujin, her cousin. "Hey, Yujin!"

"What?" Yujin replied, briefly tearing her attention away from her phone, hidden in her bag on her lap.

"Remember that spot where we can sneak out of the school's wall?"

"What about it?"

"Let's go to a PC bang!"

"Hmm?"

"You know? A PC bang!"

Yujin scratched her chin as if contemplating the idea. "Hmm. How about a—NO." She then returned her focus to her phone, glancing at Ryujin briefly.

"Come on, Yujin!" Ryujin nudged Yujin repeatedly, her voice now a silent whine.

"Nuh-uh."

"Please?"

"Nope." Yujin firmly shook her head, engrossed in her phone, where she was playing a dungeon game called Dragon Raja. She was currently in the middle of a PvP duel with her online friend, HyeFoodMine. "As you can see, I'm quite busy here."

"Pleaseu, my hearteu breakeu," Ryujin playfully pleaded, her English somewhat broken, crossing her arms and putting her hands over her heart in a dramatic fashion in an attempt to make Yujin laugh.

Yujin chuckled but whispered, "Shh!" as she won the battle on her screen with a "Victory" message. "Stupid."

Ignoring Kazuha, who was seated beside Yujin and shushing them, the two continued their conversation.

"Alright, alright. But what if BYJ sees us? We'll be in trouble," Yujin asked, concerned.

The reason Yujin knew about BYJ, or Bae YoonJung, the scariest director at the University, was thanks to Ryujin. Before Yujin made her mind up to attend the school, Ryujin had a habit of frightening her about BYJ. She described BYJ as a monstrous, dictatorial figure, a harsh disciplinarian, and various other negative traits, which were clearly exaggerated. In reality, BYJ was quite different from the terrifying image Ryujin had painted.

 

Just quite a bit.

 

"No, no. Trust me. Trust me, okay?!"

"Sure, whatever, unnie."

"Alright then, let's go."

With those final words, Ryujin grabbed her gym bag, rose from her seat, and tugged the uninterested Yujin along with her.

"Hey! Where are you two sneaking off to?" Minjeong hissed at them.

"You don't need to know!" Ryujin retorted, sticking her tongue out at Minjeong before dragging Yujin towards the exit.

Luckily, they had chosen seats at the far end of the hall, making it easy for the two mischievous friends to slip away without catching the attention of the staff and teachers loitering nearby.

"Those kids. Tsk!" Minjeong grumbled, scratching her head, which wasn't even itching, and unintentionally waking up a napping student. Kazuha slowly blinked her eyes open, scanning her surroundings. Noticing the empty seats beside Minjeong, she turned to her friend with a quizzical look.

"Oh? where did Yujin and Ryujin go?" Kazuha asked, glancing at the vacant seats and then back at Minjeong, hoping for an answer.

"Ugh, I have no idea."

"They left?"

"Most likely. Should we follow them?"

"Nah, they're old enough to handle themselves. I doubt they'll do anything too embarrassing."

"You do remember we're talking about Yujin and Ryujin, right? You know how those two are!"

"I'm aware, and I'm telling you to trust them... for now," Kazuha replied, muttering the last part under her breath. "They wouldn't want to get into trouble this early, would they?"

"They better not, or else," Minjeong said, cracking her knuckles, looking like she might resort to violence.

But perhaps, just perhaps, she really would.

 

 

In spite of the morning ceremony happening inside the session hall, one young woman stealthily navigated the hallways, attempting to remain inconspicuous on her way to the university's dance studio. Her intention was to spend her morning retreat there—dancing to her heart's content.

This had been her annual ritual ever since she started at the school and joined the dance club, including her year at the university. She'd rather stay in the studio than endure the repetitive speeches from the president and department chairs.

The speeches were practically on a loop anyway!

Moreover, dancing and expressing herself through movement prepared her mentally and emotionally for the academic challenges that lay ahead. It was her 'quiet before the storm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter