How Could I? How Could You?

You! Yes YOU!
Please log in to read the full chapter

SINB

I find it hard to get back to sleep, waking up to a voice in my head with a song that reminds me so much of my previous job, or more like the person in my previous job- you.

Yes!

 

YOU!

How unfair it is for me to always think of you when it seems like you are never one to think of me- not a single message nor a single pip. I could only sigh for every thought of you. How can I make you leave the premises of my thoughts?

I really need my sleep for now but I guess this will be one of those days that I'll be deprived of it knowing you'll just be running all day again in my head. I better go serve myself a cup of coffee. Maybe, I can make it strong enough to enjoy it more than the thought of you.

Alas! Sitting at the kitchen bar, I could only find myself smiling as my fingers trace this cute, irregular patch of a charred surface of my island countertop- not that I find burnt surfaces cute but looking back to how it happened, I could just chuckle at the memory.

 

*****

 

"Good morning!"

Even I was caught off guard by how raspy my voice had sounded that I had to clear it once again- okay twice, maybe thrice. I did gulp some water forcefully to treat it.

"I didn't know you could be an early bird." I teased though I know fully well how early you could get up if needed be. 

"I believe it's not polite to oversleep in somebody else's house," you responded with a proud smile and a cup of coffee that you just freshly brewed. "I hope I did this the right way," you motioned it for me to try which I gladly took.

"Did you sleep alright?" I asked realizing you might had been uncomfortable sleeping at a new place to which you nodded still with the smile on your face. 

"I never thought I could sleep this well in other people's house." I was glad to know that. Just then I noticed the things on the counter.

"Are you making breakfast?" I raised a brow that you never failed to point out- literally with your finger poking on it. Don't blame me though, I knew then that you were never one to cook.

"You always cook for us, I figured I should return the favor since I'm already here."

And that's when the charring accident happened. It was my idea to use the blowtorch to melt the cheese. I always like the taste of burnt cheese, that is why. But it was your first time using the tool and that gave you a great surprise when you lit it up to flame. I could never forget your face when you had the flame on my countertop instead of the bowl it was intended to do the honor. It was priceless! And in conclusion, my charred countertop, as long as it is patched with that burn, will always remain a witness and a bearer of that wonderfully cute memory.

*****

Pathetic as it my seem, but I always succumb to that beautiful day when I find myself lonely and lost in an early morning.

*****


UMJI

I stared at your message and kept staring until someone tapped my shoulder.

"Aren't you going out for lunch?" It was Sowon unnie who smiled tenderly. 

"Someone just sent a reminder to not skip a meal, h

Please log in to read the full chapter