No...

Secret Love

 

5 weeks later…

Hyosung’s P.O.V

I sat at my desk with my notebook open. I had an important essay due tomorrow but all I could think of were Kikwang and Ailee. The day after he watched The Hunger Games with her was the day that I had to deal with all the spoilers and his continuous chatter about how cute she was and how amazing their date went. I never wanted to shut him up so badly. It was all because of Ailee that I had to put up with the guy of my dreams talking about his girlfriend who should have been me.

I hated her so much. I just needed to break them up to call him mine. The question now was: How?

After contemplating numerous ideas and plans, I figured that I would play the “she cheated on you” card. Kikwang would believe anything I said – one, I was his best friend, two, he was a pretty soft-hearted guy and would be gutted to even think of his girlfriend cheating on him and three, her best friend JR used to like her and … let’s say just as Kikwang and Ailee started seeing each other, I caught him in a situation that he tried talked his way out of.

Content with my idea, I went to bed, ready for the action tomorrow.

Next Morning

“KIKWANG-AH!” I cried as I ran towards him.

“Morning! Why are you so excited today?” he smiled.

“I spent all night writing the best essay ever! If I don’t get full marks for it, I am going to cry,” I replied.

“Of course you’re going to get good m- Hey! There’s Ailee! I’ll see you later!” he yelled, as he was halfway across the oval, running towards her.

I had the urge to run up to her and slap her. Freaking interrupted my conversation with Kikwang. I know they're dating, but he is mine. He always was and always will. Irritated that he ran off to her, I looked at where Kikwang and Ailee were standing and saw that they were waving and smiling at me. Faking a smile, I waved back and turned towards the lockers.  I’ll have to tell him later then… Every single detail of my story was precise and he would totally believe it. I didn’t care how Ailee would feel about this – I’d finally have him to myself again.

Lunch

I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. I put on my saddest face possible then  walked out of the girls’ bathroom to find Kikwang. To my luck, he walking towards me.

“Kikwang-ah!”

“Why do you look so sad? Is something wrong?” he asked.

I was such a good actress.

“It’s… It’s something to do with you…” I whispered.

“What is it?”

I shook my head then lead him to a secluded area, the stairs behind the music block.

“I think you should sit down, I couldn’t stand it much longer,”

He looked at me, concerned, as he slowly sat on the step.  I sat beside him and clutched his hand. He was totally buying it.

“You know how JR and Ailee are really close?” I began.

He nodded. “Yeah, they're best friends.”

“I think they might be more than that…” I drifted off.

“Yeah… Noona and dongsaeng?” laughed Kikwang, “Why are you so worked up for? I know that they’re like siblings to each other.”

I looked him in the eye and teared up. I should win an award for like the best actress of the year or something.

“I saw him kiss her,” I breathed.

“He kissed her?”

“You know when she called you up that time and you called me to meet up with you… well on the way to you, I saw them together…”

He sat there and stared at me.

“No… It can’t be… Our fifteenth month anniversary is next week… He could have … he could have... I don’t know, comforted her?”

“I’m really sorry Kikwang… I confronted them about it… and they were lost for words…It was too obvious what they were doing.”

~ Flashback: Twelve months ago ~

I quickly jumped onto the bus as the doors closed. I sat down near the back and pulled out my iPod. I pulled my scarf over my nose – it was freezing. Ahh… Kikwang was so lucky that he got to go to Australia for this break. It was probably nice and sunny over there. I bet Ailee doesn’t miss him as much as I do; after all, they have only been dating for three months. I hope they break up soon. Kikwang was so into her it was sickening, but since I was his best friend, I had to put up with it. At the next stop, a guy and a girl got on, walked right to the back and sat down.

“JR… Thanks for taking me to the doctor. I swear my nose is going to fall off because of this cold.”

That voice sounded so familiar…

“It’s ok! After all, I’m your best friend and since Kikwang Hyung is overseas, he left you in my care. If I didn’t take care of you, he told me he’d murder me,” said the guy.

Kikwang?

I turned around and surprise surprise! It was Ailee and her friend, JR. I saw that Ailee was wrapped in layers of jackets and scarves… She looked really sick. She had her head on JR’s shoulders. Her eyes were closed and he mouth hung slightly open. I shifted myself so that my back was on the window and pretended to be engaged with my iPod.

“Huh… You’re asleep…” sighed JR, “You’d be thrilled if Kikwang was here to take care of you… wouldn’t you? If only you looked at me that way…”

He sniffed and gently kissed her on the forehead. So… JR likes Ailee… He sat back and sighed. Aww… Typical – the guy best friend likes the girl best friend who has fallen for someone else.  I then stood up and immediately went to the seat in front of him, playing the role of a concerned boyfriend’s best friend about someone else hitting on his girl.

“Yah! What are you doing?” I whispered.

“Oh! Noona… I…” he stuttered.

“I saw every single thing. Are you trying to steal her away from Kikwang?!” I scolded. To be honest, I’d be thrilled if he “stole” her away from my Kikwang.

“It’s not what you think... I… I liked her… yes… but she’s happy with Hyung and I’m just her best friend. I… I just want her to be happy,” he replied.

As the bus got to my stop, I patted JR on the head.

“If you ever steal Ailee away from Kikwang, you’ll have me to answer to.”

He nodded. It was an empty threat. I just wanted Ailee away from Kikwang.

~ Present ~ 

Tears welled up in his eyes. He clenched his fists and suddenly, the cool, calm, Kikwang I had always known started sobbing. I hugged him, feeling guilty for hurting him with a lie like this. A lie that had no foundation besides the fact that JR used to like Ailee. It was about a year ago, but Kikwang didn’t need to know that. I felt a pang in my chest as Kikwang just sat there, sobbing. I felt horrible about it, but at the same time, I felt a sense of accomplishment – he was one step closer to being mine.