C2. Jay POV - The Knight

Sacrifice
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Come on, Sunghoon," I said softly, opening the door for him. "We will be staying here for this period of time.”

Sunghoon looked at me with empty eyes, as if understanding my words. Then he nodded and gently pulled the corner of his mouth, making a smile.

“Good boy," I wearily carried all our luggage one by one into the small room, while Sunghoon stood by, waiting for me to give him the next instructions, “If possible, could you help me move this box into the room on the right side at the end?”

He seemed activated and suddenly lifted his head and took the box from my hand and walked into the room. His footsteps were steady as if the things in his hand were as light as a feather, if I didn't know that the box of things used for repairing and supporting him weighed about twenty kilograms.

This was normal, how could a robot be hindered by this weight?

Sunghoon was the most perfect experimental object in our research institute. He had an exclusive appearance - a handsome face and robust figure, which were enough to captivate every girl around him---sometimes not just girls. And far surpassing most artificial intelligence, he even had a certain degree of independent thinking and action ability. If we simply looked at him or communicated with him, no one would find that the items hidden under his silicone skin were a set of precise mechanical structures.

To keep him perfect, the research institute spared countless effort in consuming many resources. The amount of money needed was almost astronomical. All the people in the institute were working hard to obtain funding for Sunghoon’s support and training. Hyung's task gradually went beyond using force to help eliminate obstacles in the research institute: he followed the orders of the upper class and took on one high-risk assassination mission after another, in order to receive corresponding rewards; Jungwon had to take the risk of embezzling a small amount of public funds, although he himself stated that this did not cause him any psychological burden. There was also a series of new "people" created for him, and I was counted as one of them.

I was a transformation person who integrated the highest technology in the institute. I could control my body parts to become any metal object I wanted, such as guns, magnets, and cannons. But at the same time, I was still kept the human body: it needed to breathe, relied on food to support physical functions, and if you were close to my body, you could clearly feel the beating of my heart. This was undoubtedly a great and unprecedented scientific achievement for the world - I was equivalent to a wise and powerful humanoid weapon.

My existence was not a secret. Although the research institute had never made any major moves due to my existence, my existence was undoubtedly a time bomb doing threat to the opposition of the research institute. So, there were countless people trying to kill me every day in this place. However, regardless of the purpose - both inside and outside - there were far more people interested in Sunghoon than in me.

Although Sunghoon was almost flawless, he had a huge shortcoming. He had almost zero feeling of emotion and could not understand others' emotions, nor could he make proper expressions based on their reactions. Due to the complexity of human emotions, implanting the definition of 'emotions' had no effect, but he could learn. Therefore, several research representatives had discussed and finally decided to let Sunghoon be in common humans’ society to live for a period of time. He would have some insights and become a true human. Regardless of whether it came from his heart or not, if Sunghoon integrated the application of emotions, their experimental goals would also be successful. The ultimate ideal of research institutes was to prove the substitutability of humans, and the development of Sunghoon was a process of proof.

And my role was to protect him from any harm during the learning process.

I had always had some criticisms about the representatives' decision: setting aside everything, it was clear that in this mortal purgatory, one could not live the life that a normal person should live. Watching blood and infighting every day could make him even more indifferent, or even more inhumane. But it was not my business, I just needed to fulfill my responsibilities. Since the first time I opened my eyes at the research institute, protecting Park Sunghoon, who had not yet been completed, had become my main goal in surviving in this world.

Before taking care of him, I had already received combat training for two years, and with special abilities that ordinary people do not have, just protecting a robot should be an easy task. But it wasn't until I really started having a good relationship with him day and night that I realized how difficult this task was.

Firstly, my appearance finally caught the attention of the outside world to our low-key research institute, because in the eyes of others, we were just a group that has just shown its edge (in fact, the institute had been set up for over thirty years). Therefore, many people wanted to strangle us in the cradle and steal the technology to transform people - although not well-known, the technology of the research institute was at the forefront of the entire Black Zone. As for how the information about Sunghoon was leaked, just look for the well-known "Karma" in that city. The information he supplied had always been precious and true. With a little money, you could easily understand the importance of Sunghoon to the research institute. Destroying him was like shaking the foundation of the research institute.

So, piles of people wanted to destroy him. I had to tighten my nerves before the evening arrived, gua

Please log in to read the full chapter