[Chapter 5] - Ensemble

In Your Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“This project’s gonna be the bane of my existence.”

Seulgi laments as she buries her head in her arms, exclaiming the most uncharacteristic wail shrill enough to spook passing onlookers. “We don’t even have a draft ready! How can someone be so incompetent and still disagree with my ideas when putting in zero effort?”

Jieun gingerly pats Seulgi’s back as she continues to ramble with great despair. It was a rare Friday afternoon that their last class was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, prompting the girls to make a spontaneous trip to Seongsu-dong for a change of pace. An unfortunate downpour led them running for shelter in the nearest cafe, sharing a caramel parfait while waiting for the storm to let up.

A chime accompanies the resounding buzz on Jieun’s end the table. Picking up her phone, her eyes widened as she realized it was a message from Baekhyun.

[BBH]: did u bring an umbrella today? chanyeol and i are stranded :( 

[YJbluu]: same here

[YJbluu]: we missed the rain warning earlier too

[BBH]: u think i should make a run for it

[BBH]: were gonna make a run for it

[YJbluu]: no??!

[YJbluu]: im not responsible if you catch a cold

[BBH]: dont jinx it :(( id have to raid ur medicine cabinet

[BBH]: give a heads up when u get back

She can’t get used to it. Texting Baekhyun was a bizarre addition to Jieun’s everyday routine. Their mundane exchanges felt too natural when mere weeks ago she was still on the fence about his antics. Trading contacts was necessary to arrange project meetings but Jieun wasn’t expecting Baekhyun to be so chatty. He treats her like a casual friend instead of an acquainted classmate and Jieun, having learned more about him over the last weeks than the entirety of the first month she’d started university, decided she’d be fine with it.

“Aren’t you lucky Jieun. You get to be all chummy with your partner while being so productive.” Seulgi peeks at her screen from across the table, her mopiness half overwritten by amusement, startling Jieun to drop down her device before sending out a last reply. 

“I’m kind of surprised myself,” she admits sheepishly, “I didn’t think we’d get along that well.”

“Says the girlie who literally sits next to the guy she works with.” Seulgi remarks with a teasing eye roll. “Sometimes I catch you talking to Baekhyun more than you talk to me.”

“Only because he initiates!” Jieun immediately pauses to pitch down her voice. “You know I’d pick you over him anyday.” 

Her friend simply laughs and reaches for another bite of parfait. “Don’t give me the wrong idea! It’s great to see you two finally become friendly. I swear this whole time you had some vendetta against him.”

Did she? Jieun hadn’t considered what her friends perceived of their relationship from the outside. It doesn’t go unnoticed by them that she and Baekhyun have gotten less frigid since the project started. These days he doesn’t hesitate to wave to Jieun when he passes by outside of classes, which has the girls eyeing each other with question marks over their heads. 

Jieun did some social media snooping - as most would, no shame in acknowledging it. To her dismay, Baekhyun’s feeds show up empty. His tagged photos also appeared rather scarce; the majority from his high school days and only a few b recency. At least, he was always wearing a goofy smile in those old photos, always holding the spotlight even when surrounded by others.  

Another chime distracts Jieun’s attention; it seems Baekhyun made it back home in one piece. 

[BBH]: u know what hits on a rainy day

[BBH]: big pizza

[BBH]: im craving pizza

[YJbluu]: im not stopping you

[YJbluu]: wait ur not eating the whole thing in one sitting right?

[BBH]: ur cue to join me :) 

[BBH]: open invitation for free pizza

[YJbluu]: ummm 

[YJbluu]: anything with shrimp and sweet potato then

[BBH]: say no more 

This time Jieun keeps her screen angled away. She can’t fight the quirk of her own lips; she’s not used to it, but that’s fine.

 

 

“Aahhh, this hits the spot.”

Jieun watches, slightly agape, as Baekhyun demolishes his pizza slices like he’d just survived a famine. She dropped by his place moments prior, cold medicine in hand in case her neighbor really messed with his immune system. Of course he’d been fine; his damp hair was the result of a hot shower and not remnants from the heavy rainfall. Her arrival perfectly coincided with Baekhyun’s pizza delivery order, shrimp and sweet potato crust and all.

“Geez, slow down. I don’t have remedies for indigestion.” She sighs incredulously. Maybe she had better things to do with her time than worrying over his wellbeing. It was her first time over for purposes unrelated to the project, though given their absurdly productive schedule, more often than not she hangs behind a little to chat. 

Baekhyun relishes his bliss - then collapses flat on his couch from a food coma. Jieun fights the urge to snicker; her neighbor’s not nearly as charismatic in the comfort of his own home. 

“Don’t laugh. I might hurl at this rate.” He groans and covers his face. “For the record though I have no regrets.”

There’s an endearing dorkiness to Baekhyun she hadn’t noticed before, or perhaps this was simply how he acted around his friends. It puts Jieun at ease, maybe she even finds his silliness cute.

He’s scrolling through his phone now, absentmindedly checking messages in his bedridden position. “Jieun, are you in professor Lee’s workshop?”

“Yes, what about it?”

“Yoojung-ssi wants to know if she missed anything. She skipped for a dental appointment, apparently.” 

The offhand mention of that same Nam Yoojung popped up on a few instances, a repeating name when Baekhyun seldom brings up other girls into conversation. 

She was in his cohort, resourcefully obtaining his socials to ask questions regarding class material and the sorts. Jieun had inferred from Baekhyun’s passing comments that Yoojung sat beside him on more than a couple of occasions. His tone is neutral, bordering indifference, though Jieun wasn’t in a place to ask - not after she’d given such a blatant stance about not shoving her head into his affairs.

Baekhyun sends Jieun’s answer and props himself back upright. “Sehun told me you’re seeing an exhibition together tomorrow. Exciting stuff.”

Indeed, Sehun had invited her to an upcoming photo exhibition. He claims he’s not fond of doing things alone; it couldn’t be more of an excuse and Jieun was all too eager to agree. 

They’ve been hanging out more often, participating in activities around the city catered to Sehun’s sophisticated tastes. She enjoys learning more from him and about him; the lie she’d upkept about being a newcomer to Seoul incentivizes her to see the city from his lens with fresh wonder.

“I guess news travels fast.” Jieun keeps her tone casual. It wouldn’t be far-fetched to presume Baekhyun had been openly keeping tabs on them. She’s convinced he’s nearly as invested as the rest of her friends, the exception being he’s getting a front row seat on both ends. 

“You should consider wearing something black. It’s a vintage collection, might be nice if you match the theme.” And sometimes he’d randomly throw in advice, the way a wingman would. 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” He’s yet to disclose what Sehun actually thinks of her; an imploring push for Jieun to figure it out on her own, though the topic wouldn’t be so repeatedly brought up unless a prospective relationship was on the horizon.

“You think I can be one of the girls and get in on the after-date gossip?” 

Baekhyun’s enthusiasm is off-putting. Jieun narrows her eyes with bafflement. “I don’t even tell these things to my girlfriends, you guys are all so nosy.” 

“A secret, gotcha.” He feigns dejection, propping an arm on a couch cushion to rest his jaw against his palm. “I get the hunch you’re someone who doesn’t need other people's input to decide your own feelings.”  

“That’s how it should be, isn’t it?” He wasn’t wrong - it just felt strange to hear her own belief being spelled out by someone else. “Besides, you could just ask Sehun if you’re that curious.”

“A reliable source but not the person I want to hear from.” Baekhyun tilts his head further into his palm, a pensive mood shadowing his face. “I think he’d be good for you, if you want to seriously consider dating him.”

He said it himself: Jieun wasn’t a person who needed other people’s input to decide her feelings. It doesn’t stop him from committing the pitfall anyway, unless it was all intentional. 

All things considered, being friends doesn’t make it any easier for Jieun to understand Baekhyun.

 

 

Seulgi’s brown furrows in great deliberation, thumbs hovering over her phone with utmost hesitancy.

“Is something wrong?” Jieun waits for their friend who’d been barely keeping up with her and Seungwan’s pace since leaving the cafeteria. 

“There’s a party tonight at Soeun’s, I got invited.” Seulgi lets out a wavering sigh. “I don’t really want to go. I feel like I’m being dragged into another blind date situation.”

“I don’t think anyone minds if you say no. Maybe you could tell them you’re busy?” This was only one of many Seulgi had previously received. Jieun wonders if she doesn’t fare well with peer pressure, judging by her reluctance to outright refuse. 

“Seulgi, we’ve talked about this. You don’t have to accept everything that comes your way.” Seungwan interjects as she crosses her arms. “You’re not even into men, why would you force yourself to go?” 

Their friend bites her bottom lip with uncertainty. “I know, but…”

“You’re not going. I’m making the decision on your behalf.” Seungwan isn’t having it. She ponders for a moment before an idea lights up in her head. “That reminds me! Why don’t you guys just come with us? Chanyeol’s having a movie night at his place, it’ll be a ton of fun, I promise!”

“Who’s us?” Seulgi asks, alt

Please log in to read the full chapter