[Chapter 1] - Entangled

In Your Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Jieun doesn’t like the way her Americano cup shakes against her trembling left hand. Her feet remain glued at the entrance of her first lecture hall, refusing to budge. 

She really overestimated herself on the confidence scale.

The faculty of design was situated in the heart of campus, a marvelous glass structure reflecting light across abstract corners, shining equally bright as it was daunting. Jieun had only been inside once during early summer orientations. And within this very building, was when she first sought out the desire to change herself.

University will be different. Jieun is determined to prove it.

She’d spent an ample amount of time getting ready, settling on a pale blue collared dress and soft coral makeup - elegant but not too flashy. Jieun gives herself a mental pep talk. There has to be a reason an advice as far-fetched as “fake it til you make it” still exists today. She’s got this. She’ll be fine. Besides, she’s finally been getting enough consecutive sleep, that’s more than she could ask for.

Yeah right. Jieun ridicules herself for even finding comfort in the bare minimum. After mentally preparing herself for the worst, her last nights had been met with radio silence. It was like Baekhyun suddenly gained a sense of conscientiousness now that the anonymous barrier between them was broken. She hadn’t heard a peep from him since - although, true to his words, he started leaving his curtains pulled back on a regular basis. Instead, it’s Jieun who keeps hers firmly shut.

Every time she remembered their encounter she felt the urge to curl into a ball and screech. His face stayed recklessly deep in her memory. Even if Baekhyun was attractive in her books, he was very much a suspicious man who tried making advances at her. It was a miracle they hadn’t bumped into each other since, and Jieun preferred it to stay that way.

Somehow the classroom didn’t seem so intimidating anymore compared to her myriad of thoughts about her neighbor. Jieun gathers her courage and strides through the door. She clutches her bag a little harder as she scans the room, deducing it might be easier to find a seat beside someone than waiting idly at an empty table.

Jieun’s eyes fall on a girl in one of the lower front rows, diligently organizing her tablet and notebooks. She appeared effortlessly chic, a blunt fringe accenting her straight black hair and hazel eyes. Her blazer attracts Jieun’s attention; loosely fitted and embellished with unique patterned patches. She wanted to ask about it, and fortunately, the girl’s gentle aura felt most welcoming to approach.

Smoothing her hair and tucking some behind one ear, Jieun makes her way over with a polite smile. “Hi, is this seat taken?”

The girl lifts her head and takes in Jieun’s presence momentarily. She returns the smile and gestures at the empty chair beside her. “Go ahead. I can move my stuff over if you need extra space?”

“I think it’s fine, but thank you.” Relieved, Jieun settles her coffee on the desk and sits down. “Can I ask where you got your blazer from? It’s so cute.”

Her seat-mate’s expression immediately brightens hearing Jieun’s question. “I designed it myself, actually! Well sort of. I thrifted the piece and altered a few things here and there.” 

“What, that’s amazing!” Upon closer inspection, Jieun recognizes the brand stitched on the lapel, “and this is… a men’s jacket? No way, I wouldn’t have guessed, it’s so stylish.”

“I wanted to get crafty on an oversized shoulder fit. You’d be surprised what neat items are hiding in the men’s section.” The girl nods eagerly with pride. “Also, I’m Kang Seulgi. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Yoon Jieun, pleased to meet you too.” 

Jieun finds herself enamored by Seulgi’s eye smile as they continue to chat. To her delight, they’re both in the same cohort and thus, share a similar timetable. She mentally gives herself a thumbs up; she’s off to a great start. 

Quickly excusing herself, Jieun turns to reach for her own stationary inside her bag. Then she locks eyes with Byun Baekhyun passing her row while climbing the stairs.

No way in hell.

Jieun feels her eyes widen beyond its human limits. He too, pauses and stares back, bemused.

Within milliseconds, recognition flashes across Baekhyun’s face. He offers the weirdest half-grin in response to Jieun’s flabbergasted expression before continuing his ascent upwards. 

“Was that someone you know?” 

Seulgi’s curious voice breaks her fixation. Jieun blinks, then quickly shakes her head. “Um, no. I mistook him for the wrong person.”

This was not the scenario she had in mind. At what level of uncanny coincidence would her neighbor also be in the same faculty, attending the same class? Jieun’s superstitious brain was grasping at straws. She shifts her attention back to Seulgi, though not before observing a group some rows above wave Baekhyun over in her peripheral vision. 

As long as they stayed out of each other’s way, she’d just have to tolerate it.

 

 

Morning lectures primarily focused on arts history and research. After a rundown of some rather formidable looking syllabuses, Jieun was in desperate need to refuel.

“I have a friend in another department also finishing up right about now. How about we all get lunch together?” 

Jieun gladly accepts Seulgi’s invitation. They make their way to a bustling campus cafe nearby where Seulgi’s friend was already waiting. “Seungwan! We’re here!”

The bubbly girl by the name of Seungwan waves excitedly at them, her red-brown hair glowing vibrantly under the sunlight. “Just in time! I managed to snag a table outside before the crowds kicked in.”

“You’re the best.” Seulgi sets her tote in the middle seat and motions between the girls. “Let me introduce you guys. This is Yoon Jieun, a new friend I made in class! And this is Son Seungwan. She’s my childhood friend and the most talented music major I know.”

“This girlie flatters me too much.” Seungwan laughs as she greets Jieun. “Thanks for taking care of Seulgi on my behalf. I hope she won’t be a handful going forward.”

“Geez, I’m not your baby,” Seulgi pouts as she playfully nudges Seungwan's shoulder, “I’m perfectly fine on my own, right Jieun?”

“Of course, I’ll be in her care too.” Jieun giggles with a heartwarming smile. She had a feeling she’d get along very well with the girls.

After hoarding what was leftover from the lunch rush, the three began sharing stories wit

Please log in to read the full chapter