Closing Time

Unfrozen Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What the? It's close?" Jihyo thought out loud after seeing the cafe near her dorm close already. "It's only 5 in the afternoon, weird."

I guess I won't be seeing him today. I'll just come by at lunchtime tomorrow, then.

She thought to herself and walked back to her rented dorm.

//

"We-wait, hold on! Are you closing now?" Jihyo asked a tall man who she thought walked and looked like a giraffe.

"Yes miss." 

"Why!?"

"What do you mean why, miss? Just because. My boss suddenly felt lazy today, so we'll close early."

Bu-but... I have an upcoming exam. Let all the Gods be with me today.

"How can you properly pay your taxes if your cafe runs like this?"

"Miss, as you - "

"Kwangsoo-ah, what's happening here?"

Omo, that voice. Please, please, let it be him.

She followed where the voice was coming from. Her eyes automatically let out heart signs as she saw the reason why she'd been so desperate to stay inside the cafe. She first saw him on her way to a classmate's place, and just like a normal girl experiencing first-time crush fever, she wanted to be within his proximity. However, due to her busy college life, she can only visit the cafe in her free time. Unfortunately, the cafe has a weird habit of closing time.

"Hyung! This lady here says that we won't be able to pay our taxes if you're running the cafe like this." Kwangsoo flatly sold her out.

"Ya! That's not really what I said." She almost whispered it to him.

"Thanks for your concern, but luckily, we're managing." Insung addressed her concern.

Ackkk. He's talking to me.

She smiled widely without noticing it. "Hi..."

"Hello?" 

She realized that she was being too obvious, so she immediately shook her head.

"It's only lunchtime. The majority of store close at 7 in the evening. Aren't you worried about the quality of your customer service?" It was an accusing statement, yet her tone is too sweet and gentle compared to how she talked to Kwang Soo.

Even Insung noticed her tone, and because of Kwangsoo's expression, he smiled subtly. He quickly hit Kwangsoo's back to stop him from making faces.

"Miss? What's your name?"

"Ji-Jihyo...Song Jihyo."

"Jihyo-ssi, if you please look at this banner?"

Jihyo followed Insung's hand pointing at the banner pasted on the store's door.

Open: 7:00 AM; Close: Whenever

"Close...Whenever!?" 

"Exactly. So if you please excuse us. I need to sleep more."

//

"This time for sure..." She ran straight in front of Insung's cafe. "Seriously? Hangover?" 

All she could do was sigh after seeing the store's additional banner. Close due to the owner's hangover.

From inside, Kwang Soo was able to see Jihyo standing disappointedly. 

"Hyung...it's that noona again." He informed Insung who was sitting lifelessly on the sofa. 

"What can I do if she can't find the timing when we're open." Insung flatly responded while massaging his head. 

"Among all your admirers...she's the most persistent one. Most of them gave up because the cafe is far from the University and every time they try to come, we're close." 

"She's not. What the hell are you saying?"

"C'mon hyung, we both saw how she reacted when she saw you. And her tone? ugh. I'm getting goosebumps just remembering it. She likes you."

Insung remained silent and decided to just ignore his dongsaeng. 

"But hyung, don't you think she's the prettiest we've seen here? Though I'm not sure about her personality." 

Insung groaned as Kwangsoo continued to talk. He took the pillow and buried himself in Kwangsoo's non-stop muttering.

//

"That noona hasn't been around for two weeks now."

"I heard it's Kookje University's exam week. I'm sure she's studying."

"How did you know? Oooohh, don't tell me you..."

"Don't even go there. She's not the only college student who comes here." Insung quickly defended himself.

"If you say so. But I just noticed...we're closing late these past few days. What's with you?" 

Kwangsoo was startled when Insung put down the knife he was holding angrily. "Kwangsoo-ah...should I fire you?" 

"Hyung! What did I do wrong?"

"Stop asking too many questions. Let's close the store now." He instructed Kwangsoo and returned to clean the cafe. 

When Insung turned around, he catches a glimpse of someone outside the store. 

"Kwangsoo-ah!" 

"Wh-why?" Kwangsoo was shocked when Insung yelled at him as he was about to flip the door's banner to Close.   

"I changed my mind. Let's not close yet but you can go first since it's already late. You can go home." 

Kwangsoo looked at Insung curiously. But since he was scared that Insung would fire him, he decided to just obey him. "O-okay then." He replied and took his bag before walking towards the door.

"We-wait. Use the back door." Insung ran towards Kwangsoo and forcefully pushed his shoulders to guide him towards the store's backdoor exit. "You worked hard today. See you tomorrow." 

Just in time for Kwangsoo's exit, Insung heard the store's entrance opening. 

"Whoa. I finally made it." 

"Oh. It's just a coincidence. I was just about to close the store." Insung awkwardly replied as if he just didn't shout at Kwangsoo to stop him from closing the store and push him forcefully out of the cafe.

"Do you remember me?" She asked excitedly and sat right in front of the counter. 

"Of course. How can I forget someone who scolded us for the way we run this cafe? Jihyo-ssi, right?" 

She happily nodded despite how Insung managed to remember her. "Yes. That's right! But...where is that Giraffe guy?"

"Giraffe?"

"Hmm. That tall one who's with you before."

Giraffe...Kwangsoo. After deep thinking, he chuckled at the thought. "You mean, Kwangsoo? He works as a part-timer here. He already went home."

"So..he's Kwangsoo huh - oh, I'll have Iced Americano, please." 

"That strong? It's - it's 10 PM already, won't you have trouble sleeping?"

"Whoa. Are you perhaps concerned about me?" She but when she noticed the change in his expression, she immediately shift the topic. "I need to review actually, exam week."

He finally decided to make her order yet taking glances at her as she spread her notes on the countertop. "Why would you come all the way here? I'm sure there are a lot of coffee shops around your university." He placed her order not far from her, making sure that her notes will be safe. 

"It's more peaceful here. Besides, I need to study well. They said that you can excel when...your crush is around." She said her last words silently yet Insung managed to hear it well. 

It's not the first time he has dealt with admirers, who are even worse so he knows what to say that wouldn't upset them but at the same time, set a boundary. Yet there are just some times that he tends to flirt back. "Really? Then fine, enjoy this face as much as you want." 

Jihyo almost got choked from what she heard yet can't help but blush when she received a wink.

//

Kwangsoo has been feeling uncomfortable since he entered the cafe. Someone's eyes kept on following his every move. 

"Hyung...stop staring. You're getting creepy." Kwangsoo begged Insung. 

Insung clicked his tongue and rubbed his chin, still looking intently at Kwangsoo. "Amazing. You really do resemble a giraffe. How come I only realized it now?"

"Eh, hyung! - " Before he was able to counter, a group of students came. 

Morning, at 9 is considered the cafe's peak hour and Insung has no choice but to tend to customers as well. There is no point in denying that his looks, especially his naturally charming smile become one of the store's main selling points, especially to female customers.  

Just then, the door opens again along with the sound of a windchime attached to its header. Insung immediately turned around to welcome the new customer yet the sound of the windchime remains and started to be in tune as he saw the familiar customer- in a simply fitted cotton dress reaching her thighs, highlighting her figure; and her long, black, and wavy hair down. So different from her usual sweater or shirt outfit, partnered with pants. 

"Oppa?" 

He didn't realize how long he has been staring but he was taken aback when she was suddenly in front of him. "Jihyo..." 

"Yes, it's me?"

Insung cleared his throat, finally recovering himself. 

"Hyung, is that for Table 5?" 

"Ah...ye-ah. Here." Insung passed the tray to Kwangsoo before looking back to Jihyo. 

"So...Americano, again?" 

"Hyung here, new orders for Table 7. Double time hyung." 

Jihyo laughed at Insung's expression after receiving Kwangsoo's instruction to be quick. "Seriously, who's the boss between you two? You should handle the other customers first, oppa." 

"I'm sorry, I'll be quick." He looked shyly at Jihyo and smiled back as she offered a thumbs-up. He watched her sit back on her spot at the counter.

"Hyung...where are the orders?" 

"Arasso! Coming..." He replied. He's not supposed to yet he just finds himself increasing his pace, getting focused on tending to their customers as quickly as he can. Taking glances at the woman sitting on a stool in front of the counter, afraid that after giving orders to other customers, she'll get bored and just leave. 

 

"Here." Insung laughed at Jihyo's startled expression when he loudly placed her coffee near her. 

Jihyo looked around and just realized that the cafe's busy atmosphere is now left with two occupied tables and herself. "Oh, I didn't notice you." 

"Well... do you have somewhere to go today?" 

"Hmm" Jihyo replied without looking up and continue reading her notes. 

"A date?"

That caught her attention. "I didn't remember you asked me out, so...no." She casually stated and returned to what she was doing.

Insung held his breath with her response and smiled inwardly. There was a brief silence.

"Jihyo-ah...I'm not an oppa. We're the same age." He suddenly remembered how she addressed him. Yet he also decided to be casual with her. There's just really something in her that he warmed up immediately. 

"I know... I stalked your Instagram." Jihyo then laughed at her own before realizing something and with narrow eyes, looked at Insung. "How did you know that we're the same age? Did you stalk me as well?" 

"No. Why would I even do that? It was written here." He then picked up a resume, combined with the notes Jihyo spread on the counter table. 

She pouted at that and aggressively took back her resume. Again, there was silence. She is once again preoccupied with what she is reading. 

"Hyung, another or-" Kwangsoo halted himself upon seeing Insung just looking at Jihyo. "Fine...I'll do it myself." 

He's not a fool to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter