Summer's Over / Here Comes Homecoming

I've Loved You Three Summers Now (JMJ)

 

 

 

Winter spends a lot of her time behind at school, but not because she’s in trouble, but because she’s part of the student council. She likes to stay back to tidy up things, clean the room, reorganise it, and prepare things for the next meetings too. 

 

Winter’s busy wiping down a table with a spray as it was littered with pencil graffiti that she doesn’t pay attention to the Student council room door being slid open.

 

A figure stands behind her and leans forward until there’s a breath in the room beside her ear that definitely isn’t her own.

 

“Boo.” 

Winter whips around with a scream and shoves the person first, and then she’s holding the spray bottle towards the intruder.

“Minjeong - hold on!” A familiar voice calls out. 

 

Minjeong halts and opens her eyes to find Yu Karina with a stupid grin.

 

“What the hell, Jimin!” Minjeong groans, slamming the spray bottle and paper towel roll onto the table beside her.

“I just wanted to sneak up on you, I didn’t think you’d try to spray me down with chemicals.” Jimin chuckles before straightening up.

“Well I get spooked easily.” Minjeong sighs.

“I can tell.” Jimin steps forward until Minjeong’s back hits the table behind her. 

 

Minjeong leans back and Jimin places both her hands on the table— holding Minjeong between the space in her arms.

 

“What are you doing here so late?” Minjeong asks when Jimin leans forward, backing her up more into the table until she’s almost sitting on it.

“Soccer practice ran late. You?” Jimin answers.

“I’m cleaning the student council room, what does it look like?” Minjeong scowls.

“Snarky.” Jimin chuckles. “What have I done to make you so grumpy?”
“You… you haven’t done anything.” Minjeong sags as she sighs.

“Then what is it?” Jimin asks softly.

‘I just saw Lucas earlier, that’s all.” Minjeong answers. “He pissed me off with his face.”

“I see.” Jimin smiles. “You shouldn’t let him get to you.”

“I know… I just remember what happened during the summer and it makes me angry.” Minjeong sighs.

“Should I punch him again?” Jimin quips and Minjeong smiles.

“I don’t like you getting hurt.” Minjeong says gently.

“I can take him.” Jimin doesn’t back down.

“Alright, big head.” Minjeong snorts.

 

Jimin grins when her ability to effectively cheer Minjeong up works. 

 

“Can I kiss you?” Jimin asks, leaning forward with a smile. 

“If I say no?” Minjeong says teasingly as her eyes flit down to Jimin’s lips. 

“I’ll change your mind.” Jimin says before she leans in slowly.

 

Jimin kisses her carefully, gently and tenderly as she tries to gauge a reaction from Minjeong. When she feels Minjeong’s arms wrap themselves around her neck, she moves her hands from the table and wraps them under Minjeong’s thighs before hoisting her up on the table.

 

Minjeong gasps into Jimin’s mouth as she is abruptly lifted up like she weighs nothing.

 

Jimin’s lips were connected against hers again as she had a hand on Minjeong’s hip and the other travelling up the soft skin of Minjeong’s back under her shirt. Minjeong moans gleefully as quietly as she can and Jimin swallows every little noise.

 

Minjeong pulls away to get a breath of air as she struggles to breathe properly. Jimin chases her and Minjeong grins, but before Jimin can connect their lips again, the sound of the ajar student council door slides open and they break apart quickly.

 

“Jimin! I thought that was you-”

 

Jimin quickly turns around and stands tall as she uses her back to shield Minjeong. Minjeong cowers and hides herself behind Jimin’s back— hands gripping tightly at Jimin’s jacket. Her heart thumps heavily as she catches her breath.

 

Somi’s steps pause with her soccer cleats clattering against the floor when she sees Jimin’s slightly dishevelled state. Swollen lips, red cheeks, and definitely hiding a girl behind her.

 

“Woah, woah - getting some on the first day of school already?” Somi chuckles and Minjeong’s grip tightens on Jimin.

“Shut up.” Jimin grumbles.

“Who is it? Let me see?” Somi steps forward and Jimin almost growls, gaze hardening. 

“Get out.” She says coldly and Somi blinks.

“Alright, alright.” Somi backs away with her hands up in mock surrender. “I’ll leave you and your escapade to your fun time.”

“Out.” Jimin huffs and Somi scurries away.

 

Minjeong releases a breath and Jimin turns around. Hands already at Minjeong’s cheeks, caressing them.

 

“You okay?” Jimin asks with a worried expression and Minjeong laughs nervously.

“How long do you think until everyone starts to talk about this?” Minjeong says.

“I’d give it until tomorrow.” Jimin sighs and Minjeong slumps as she rests her head against Jimn’s chest.

“Jesus.” Minjeong huffs and Jimin chuckles as she wraps her arms around Minjeong.

“Let’s get you home, yeah?” Jimin says and Minjeong nods.



 

Winter suddenly feels like there are hundreds of eyes on her after yesterday’s ordeal, but it’s mostly her overthinking. Winter organises the student council meetings paper haphazardly on auto-pilot mode as she tries not to think about yesterday. 

 

“Win, did you hear?” Giselle nudges her and she blinks as she turns to Giselle.

“Huh?” Winter clears .

“Did you hear about Yu Karina?” Giselle says and Winter feels her mental gears abruptly lose function at the name mentioned.

“Um, w-what about her?” Winter tries to play it cool.

“Yesterday someone saw her here in the student council room…” Giselle leans forward and so does Winter as she whispers. “She was kissing some girl in here.”

“O-oh.” Winter tries to act surprised.

“Yeah, and people think it was just coincidence but I suspect it was actually someone from the student council because no way would Karina willingly come by here.” Giselle states like she knows it all, and Winter breaks out into a sweat.

“Really?” Winter laughs nervously.

 

Winter looks around and sees everyone whispering to each other animatedly and Winter just knows they’re talking about the same thing.

 

“My money’s on Yeji.” Giselle says and Winter’s eyes snap towards Yeji who’s sitting in the corner, sifting through her notes.

 

Yeji seems to sense her and looks up with a smirk.

 

“Maybe we shouldn’t bet on those kinds of things.” Winter excuses, looking away.

“Oh come on, this is the best news we had in a while, dude.” Giselle says. “This is exciting!”

“What is exciting?” Yeji raises a brow as she stands up to the front with her papers.

“N-nothing.” Giselle blinks.

 

Winter shakes her head lightly before handing over her papers to Yeji.

 

“Thank you, Minjeong.” There’s a hint of another meaning to that and Winter wants to run away.

 

Winter swallows and looks away.

 

“Alright, listen up!” Yeji’s voice carries authority like no other. Either she becomes a teacher or a police officer in the next life, Winter thinks.

“I get that summer break just finished, but the majority of us are starting senior year.” Yeji says. “Since it is the beginning of the year, the next few weeks, we’ll be incredibly busy with planning homecoming.”

She continues, “I’d like it all to go through smoothly, so no slacking, no mucking around - and no lame homecoming proposals. Save it for prom.”

 

The student council cheer for her and clap.

 

“I have personally come up with lists of the duties I have assigned everyone as we prepare for homecoming.” Yeji hands out the papers in her hands.

 

Everyone gets distributed the papers and many seem happy with their duties, such as the decoration committee, music booth, ticketing, tables and chairs— and then Minjeong frowns when she sees her name.

 

Her name is standing alone underneath posters in bold and underlined too.

 

She looks up to see Yeji standing right in front of her and she flinches.

 

“Yeji?” She blinks.

“I hope you don’t mind the work.” Yeji smiles sweetly. “Posters aren’t too hard, so I just thought I should assign one person and you’re good at creating things aren’t you?” 

Winter schools her expression and it takes all her self-control not to grab Yeji forcefully to throw her across the room.

“Of course.” Winter breathes out with a strained smile.

“Plus…” Yeji leans down closer to her and whispers. “You can always ask for extra hands from someone.” 

 

Yeji backs away and leaves a fuming Winter in her wake.


 

“Why does Yeji keep playing cupid?” Minjeong whines to Jimin over the phone.

“She’s a bit strange, I must admit.” Jimin chuckles. “She’s actively trying to keep our cover from being blown and she's been trying to be nice to us in a weird way ever since she got with Ryujin.”

“I get that it’s a nice gesture, but she’s so - she’s so intense all that time! And mischievous, devious-” 

“Minjeong-ah.” Jimin laughs.

“Well anyways, that's beside the point now because she assigned poster duty to me only and now you have to help me.” Minjeong sighs.

“Okay.” Jimin agrees.

“Thanks, Jimin.” Minjeong says it softly.

“You’re welcome, baby.” 

 

Minjeong tries to fight off the blush that blooms across her cheeks.

 

“Are you coming over? My parents aren't home yet.” Minjeong asks Jimin.

“You want us to get caught doing whatever?” Jimin laughs and Minjeong scowls.

“Get your mind out of the gutter!” Minjeong spits and Jimin’s laugh fills her room. “I didn’t even insinuate that!” 

“I was kidding!” Jimin giggles and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah - hurry up or else I won’t open the door for you.” Minjeong says before ending the call.

 

Jimin comes over in her car in record time as she knocks on Minjeong’s door within ten minutes.

 

“You’re fast.” Minjeong says when she opens the door.

“Well when you have a scary girlfriend, you gotta do everything to please her.” Jimin smirks and Minjeong slaps her shoulder.

“See, scary.” Jimin shudders and Minjeong pouts. 

 

Minjeong turns away and begins to stalk upstairs.

 

“Are you not even going to offer refreshments?” Jimin shouts as she takes off her shoes quickly to chase Minjeong.

“Hmph.” Minjeong stomps away and Jimin grins before grabbing her by the waist.

“I’m kidding, baby.” Jimin coos.

 

Jimin spins Minjeong around until her back hits the wall gently.

 

“Why are you sulking?” Jimin giggles as she places both hands at Minjeong’s neck as she caresses her cheeks.

“Because you .” Minjeong can’t stay faux angry as she grins.

“And I’m your girlfriend so it cancels out.” Jimin says before kissing Minjeong soundly on the mouth.

 

Minjeong blinks, slightly dazed before taking Jimin’s breath away as she pulls Jimin in the back of her neck. She kisses her fiercely and Jimin inhales sharply when she feels Minjeong bite down on her lip. She pulls away with bewildered eyes.

 

“I thought we weren’t doing things that would get us caught?” Jimin gasps for air.

“Well, I can’t help it.” Minjeong says in a low and gentle voice— it makes Jimin’s ears feel warm.

 

Jimin kisses Minjeong again and pushes her into her room. Minjeong’s back hits the door as it closes and Jimin hoists her up and curls her hands under Minjeong’s thighs. Minjeong gasps as she wraps her legs around Jimin and holds her tightly by the shoulders.

 

She feels the material of Jimin’s jacket with her hands and then she looks down.

 

“Do you just always wear your letterman?” Minjeong asks and Jimin smiles.

“It’s warm.” She shrugs. “Maybe you should wear it.”

“I’ll think about it.” Minjeong says before leaning down to kiss jimin again but the taller girl pulls away with a smile.

“I’m serious.” Jimin grins.

“So, what?” Minjeong scoffs. “You want me to go to school wearing your letterman and parade it around?”
“Yes, exactly that.” Jimin nods as she adjusts her hold of Minjeong against the door.

“You’re sending me on a death mission, Jimin.” Minjeong deadpans and rolls her eyes when the corner’s of Jimin’s lips lift into a lazy smile.

“But I want people to know that you’re mine.” Jimin leans in closer near the shell of Minjeong’s ear. “All these people want you, Minjeong.”
“But I’m…” Minjeong trails off.

“What? Pretty? Cute? Smart, talented, kind-” Jimin lists off.

“Okay - okay!” Minjeong blushes, looking elsewhere. “I get it…”

 

Jimin brings a hand to Minjeong’s chin and pushes her gently to face her.

 

“Look at me, baby.” Jimin coos and Minjeong reluctantly meets Jimin’s eyes. “I know of at least ten people in the school who want to ask you out, including Jay, Somi, Beomgyu-”

“I get it!” Minjeong whines.

“Good.” Jimin grins. “Then you know that I get jealous and I just want to keep you all to myself.”

“I know.” Minjeong blushes.

Jimin’s grin intensifies. “Can I kiss you, now?”

 

Minjeong can’t find her voice to answer, so she’s tilting her head downwards as she nods. Jimin lets Minjeong down slowly until her feet meet the ground and Jimin pins her against the door again.

 

Jimin doesn’t lean in immediately– instead, she guides Minjeong’s hands to the small of her back and she gently places a hand on the back of Minjeong’s neck. She uses her free hand to trace Minjeong’s jaw and she meets her eyes and Jimin’s eyes soften at Minjeong’s still timid eyes. She uses her thumb to part Minjeong’s lips before pulling her forward to meet her lips in a chaste kiss. It lasts a bit longer as Jimin pulls away and she smiles when she finds that Minjeong’s cheeks have become even redder.

 

“Aren’t you cute? Look at your chee-” Jimin doesn’t get another word in as Minjeong pulls her into a deep kiss without warning. Her eyes widen, but close after registering that Minjeong was reciprocating her feelings. Minjeong’s kisses are delicate and it fills every crevice of Jimin’s soul. 

 

Minejong pulls back and Jimin finds herself chasing after the warmth as she blushes. With swollen lips and full hearts— they gaze at each other with an indescribable feeling that they may never speak about, but they know— they know what it means.

 

Minjeong looks away but she doesn’t let go. She takes Jimin in her arms— tightening her hold around Jimin’s waist. She brings their bodies flush together and rests her head on Jimin’s shoulder as she hugs her tightly.

 

Jimin hesitates for a moment before wrapping her arms tightly around Minjeong.

 

“Thank you..” Minjeong says quietly.

“You’re welcome.” Jimin kisses the crown of Minjeong’s head, smelling the sweet scent of spring in Minjeong’s hair.


 


 

The next day when she goes to school, the eyes are definitely on her this time and the whispers and talk are definitely about her.

 

Funny thing about Jimin’s letterman is that it says Yu and the number 11. If either of them did anything thinking the night before, they would have realised Jaemin— who plays soccer on the boy’s team too, has the last name Yu and number 11 too because they are twins, born on the same damn day. 

 

Minjeong’s already at a point of no return because at least half the school has seen her come in with it on, and then that half will spread word to the other half. She tries to keep her head down— really she does. It’s just that she’s friends with loudmouths and also she’s in the student council.

 

“I see you, Winter~” Ningning purrs when she sits down at their table in the cafeteria and Winter groans. 

“It’s not like that.” She whines. Giselle comes bustling over with eyes zeroed on Winter.

“Yah Kim Minjeong!” Giselle practically screams and Winter pulls her down quickly and tells her to shush.

“Can you not scream my name like that!” Winter whispers harshly.

“What is the meaning of this! I thought you said you didn’t like Jaemin!” Giselle says.

“I don’t!” Winter defends herself.

“Oh my god - you guys hooked up over the summer, didn’t you!” Giselle gasps and Ningning’s jaw drops.

“No wait-” Winter winces when she sees who’s approaching their table.

 

She makes a face at Jaemin to tell him to go away but he keeps smiling and stops right beside Winter in all of his soccer player glory. 


“Hey, you left these at the house last time!” He beams, handing over her airpods.

Winter shuts her eyes for a moment and sighs in defeat. “...thanks.”

“No prob!” He grins. “Don’t be so forgetful next time.”

“Will do.” She winces as he jogs away to get back to practice.

 

She slowly turns to her friends and sees Ningning with a giant smile and Giselle fuming.

 

“You guys are so cute! He left soccer practice just to give you those!” Ningning squeals and Winter wants to cry.

“How could you not tell me and oh my gosh - you’ve been to his house?!” Giselle gasps and Winter sobs dryly.

“No - it’s not like that!” She whines.

“It’s like what then?! I know what I see and whatever you say next, I believe you cannot lie out of it!” Giselle huffs.

“Yeah!” Ningning just chimes in and Winter sighs.

 

She looks around and wants to see Jimin but the girl is nowhere to be seen and not close enough to save her. She’s probably missing lunch and running soccer drills right now. She tunes out her friends chattering and wants the free period that’s next to come faster so she can run away and see Jimin at her soccer practice.

 

She manages to slip through Ningning and Giselle’s grasps and disappears when the lunch bell finishes, however she is not free from the stares and gossips of everyone else.

 

She walks past the boys team quickly as she can feel them looking and whistling. She bites her lip and her nostrils flare as she speed walks to the side where the girls are practising. She sneaks past the girls soccer coach and the team as she climbs up onto the bleachers and takes a seat near the middle. She fixes the collar of Jimin’s letterman to cover more of her neck as a light wind passes through. 

 

She watches Jimin run around and kick balls with her teammates for a while until Jimin spots her and excuses herself from the team. She jogs up to Minjeong and awkwardly climbs the bleachers before she makes a stop right in front of Minjeong.

“Hello, there.” Minjeong’s lips curl into a smile.

“Hi.” Jimin grins as her chest puffs up and down from all the soccer drills.

 

Down at the field, oblivious minds speak.

 

“Aw look, she’s close with Jaemin’s sister too!” A girl on the team coos.

“Meeting the family already, goals.” The girl next to her agrees and Yeji snorts lightly.

 

She looks off at the bleachers and sees Jimin hugging Minjeong tightly.

 

“If only they knew.” Yeji thinks with a smirk.


 

“Yah, you !” Minjeong’s smile is gone as she punches Jimin’s stomach and the girl standing gets winded a bit. “Do you know what I’ve been through all day?!”
“I’m sorry - I realised it after I got to school and saw you.” Jimin pouts guilty. She sits down beside Minjeong and wraps an arm around Minjeong’s shoulder and the smaller girl tries to shrug her off.

“Please, forgive me?” Jimin pouts as she leans forward to see Minjeong’s face.

“I’m mad!” Minjeong whines. “You can’t look at me like that!” 

“Why? Am I cute?” Jimin pretends to act cute. “Is it melting your cold winter heart?”

 

Minjeong turns to her and hits her square on the shoulder.

 

“Ow - I’m sorry!” Jimin giggles.

“Is this funny to you?” Minjeong frowns.

“Sorry, sorry - no.” Jimin clears . “But what about me? I’ve been hearing all about you and Jaemin all day - I’m jealous!”

“Well, who wanted me to wear their letterman that stupidly coincidently matches their brother’s one.” Minjeong deadpans.

“Don’t be angry at me.” Jimin pouts as she hugs Minjeong tighter. “I’ll make it up to you.” 

“If you want to make it up to me, kiss me right now.” Minjeong dares her as a joke.

“Okay.” Jimin agrees easily and Minjeong’s eyes widen.

“Jimin, what-”

 

Jimin stands up and stands directly in front of Minjeong— shielding the sun and anyones eyes from them. She leans down and Minjeong watches this all as if it’s slow motion. She watches Jimin’s ponytail swing to the left of her shoulder as she leans down. Her red parted lips, her half-lidded eyes, and her warm hand against Minjeong’s cheek.

 

She kisses her and even dares to linger— on Minjeong’s bottom lips and releasing it with a loud pop.

 

Minjeong moves back and her eyes are wide and her heart beats erratically.

 

“You did not…” Minjeong’s cheeks are almost red like the apples in the cafeteria.

“What?” Jimin smiles innocently. “You asked for it, not me.”

 

Minjeong blinks, successfully dazed and flustered.

 

“Will you stay here until the end?” Jimin asks.

“Huh.” She blinks, mouth slightly ajar.

Jimin laughs. “I asked if you’ll stay here until I finish.”

“Oh, uh - yeah, I’ll stay.” She nods haphazardly and then she remembers why she came in the first place. “Oh! I brought you lunch since you haven’t eaten.”

“I’ll eat it later. I can’t eat it now because I’ll think about how my girlfriend bought me lunch all throughout practice.” Jimin says smugly and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“And not because it’ll give you an upset stomach?” She deadpans.

“That too.” Jimin smiles.

 

A wind passes through again and it jostles Minjeong’s legs involuntarily.

 

“Cold?” Jimin asks.

“Just a bit.” She shakes her head. “‘I'll be fine. I have your jacket.”

“One sec.” Jimin says before she jogs down to the bottom of the bleachers her everyone left their bags. She reaches into her bag and pulls out a blanket that Minjeong remembers seeing in Jimin’s room. Jimin jumps the seats to get back to Minjeong.

“You bring a blanket to soccer practice?” Minjeong asks and Jimin smiles.

“No.” She grins. “I brought it because I was hoping you’d come watch me play.”

“Ooh, cocky.” Minjeong says and Jimin chuckles before unfolding the blanket and draping it over Minjeong’s legs.

“Don’t miss me too much.” Jimin says.

“I can see you.” Minjeong gestures to the field. “Better go now, Yeji looks like she might come up here to get you back personally.” 

“Okay.” Jimin laughs before going down.

 

Minjeong shakes her head fondly before she narrows down onto Jimin’s jersey number and figure. She sinks into the letterman and watches as Jimin breaks out into a sprint.

 

When Jimin finishes practice, Minjeong walks down from the bleachers and meets her on the ground. She grabs Jimin’s bag for her and opens it knowing that there should be a towel in there. Jimin glistened with sweat even if the weather was a bit chilly. Minjeong dabs at her neck and at her forehead before Jimin turns around and Minjeong lifts Jimin’s shirt to wipe her back.

 

“Are you cold? Do you want your jacket back?” Minjeong asks and Jimin shakes her head.

“No, it’s okay. You can keep it on.” She smiles.

“Okay.” Minjeong says as she tries to grab Jimin’s bag for her.

“I got it.” Jimin grabs it off her.

“But you’re tired.” Minjeong argues.

“And you’re small. You shouldn’t have to carry my bags.” Jimin smiles softly. “I’ll do all the heavy lifting.”

Minjeong makes a face before pouting. “You’re such a flirt.”

“Only for you.” Jimin whispers.

“Hit the showers Yu!” Yeji calls out after her. “And Kim, quit canoodling!”

“W-what - I wasn’t - ugh!” Minjeong stomps and Jimin laughs.

“I’ll shower quickly.” Jimin tells her.

“Okay. I’m going to be in the computer lab 2.” Minjeong says. “Meet me there.”
“Okay!” Jimin waves bye to her before skipping off the field. 

 

Minjeong takes the other way and heads to the computer lab so she can use the programs she doesn’t have at home for the homecoming posters. She sits close to the screen as she checks each detail, each spelling mistake and any odd clipart mishaps. She doesn’t hear Jimin come into the computer room at all. She doesn’t even register that Jimin’s standing right behind her with a hand on the back of her chair.

 

“Don’t your eyes hurt?” Jimin asks and Minjeong flies back screaming.

 

Jimin’s eyes are wide as she covers her ears with her hands.

 

“Jesus Christ, Minjeong!” Jimin guffaws and Minjeong slumps into her chair with an expression of anguish as she clutches onto her heart.

“What is wrong with you?! You can’t sneak up on me like that!” Minjeong cries out.

“Maybe I do have to stop scaring you.” Jimin chuckles. “You almost killed me a couple days ago with a damn spray bottle.”  

“Sorry.” Minjeong grins sheepishly.


Jimin moves and leans on the desk space beside the computer as her thigh just touches Minjeong’s arm.

 

“I’m just checking if anything’s wrong with the posters.” Minjeong says, eyes straying away from the screen to the milky toned legs beside her.

“Like what you see?” Jimin smiles knowingly.
“You’re distracting me.” Minjeong huffs, turning away.

“Really?” Jimin drawls out as she scoots closer to Minjeong.

 

Minjeong tries her best for the next couple of minutes to focus on the task at hand, but Jimin has begun to caress her arm and her nape without care and it frustrates Minjeong.

 

“Yah…” She warns quietly.

“What are you going to do, Kim Minjeong?” Jimin smirks, leaning down.

 

Minjeong huffs before pushing her chair back and standing straight as she  grabs both of Jimin’s hips and forces her back against the desk.

 

“Minjeong.” Jimin blinks.

“I’ll do this.” In the way Minjeong says it, Jimin expects an aggressive and passionate onslaught of kisses but the first one is gentle, and so is the next.

 

Jimin relishes in the feeling of Minjeong treating her so carefully and tenderly. It makes Jimin feel invincible and she wants to shout Minjeong’s name from rooftops but in the space they  make their own, Jimin says it quietly like a prayer.

 

“Minjeong, Minjeong, Minjeong.” Jimin grins.

“You make me feel like I can do anything.” Minjeong says quietly.

“You make me feel like that too.” Invincible.

 

Jimin wraps her arms around Minjeong’s shoulders and the short-haired girl holds Jimin in place by the waist.

 

Minjeong pulls away and she still blushes when she sees Jimin’s lip glisten in the light with remnants of what had just transpired. She looks into Jimin’s eyes and feels an overwhelming grasp on her heart, she wants to cry and hold Jimin in her arms forever.

 

Instead, she smiles.

 

Suddenly, a figure appears at the door and Minjeong’s eyesight strays again but the smile doesn’t leave her face immediately. It leaves her face when her vision clears and she sees Giselle and Ningning with wide eyes and dropped jaws.

 

Minjeong’s eyes widen and a sense of dread fills her. It becomes worse when Jimin notices and turns back and then the other two girls get a clear face of Jimin and see what they were up to.

 

Giselle and Ningning gasp soundly and Jimin turns to her abruptly with a panicked expression.

 

Minjeong drops her head onto Jimin’s shoulder with a sigh.

 

.


 

Jimin and Minjeong somehow made it home fine, but Giselle followed Minjeong home and Ningning followed Jimin.

 

“You lost your ity to who!” Giselle exclaims as she shoots up from the floor of Winter's bedroom. Winter pulls the girl back down and clamps a hand on Giselle’s mouth.

“Will you be quiet! My parents are home!” Winter hisses and Giselle nods haphazardly.

“You’re telling me…” Giselle’s eyes are wide. “That you and Yu Karina.. two summers ago…”

“Yes.” Winter sighs.

“Oh my god.” Giselle’s jaw is slack. “And you guys were babies!”

“We were fifteen.” Winter rolls her eyes.

“Um, same thing.” Giselle deadpans and Winter’s nostrils flare.

 

“... so was it good?” Giselle asks and Winter blushes.

“We were drunk and it was two years ago…” She looks away.

“And it was your first time, was it not?” Giselle questions and Winter nods. “So give me the deets!”

“It was… it was clumsy.” Winter chuckles shyly. “We didn’t really know what we were doing but..”
“But?” Giselle leans forward with anticipation.

“It was good...” Winter’s blush travels from her neck and reaches the tips of her ears. “She made me feel good.”

“Oh my god, you’re a total bottom!” Giselle cackles loudly and Winter tells her to shush.

“Am not! I totally-” Winter holds her tongue and stops when she’s about to reveal more details. “No, no - no more, I’m not telling you anything else.”

 

She shakes her head and Giselle pouts.

 

“Why not! I want the full details!” Giselle grabs her by the shoulders and shakes her. “I can’t believe you’re dating Karina instead of Jaemin! It’s just like - I've never thought of it.”

“Well think of it now because she’s my girlfriend.” Winter admits with a blush.

“Oh my gosh!” Giselle squeals. “You were the one she was kissing in the student council room!”

 

 

“Yu Jimin, you are kidding me!” Ningning squeals as she hits Karina on the shoulder repeatedly.

“I’m not.” Karina grins.

“I can’t believe Winter is your girlfriend. I was totally convinced she was with your brother.” Ningning says and Karina scowls. “I mean, everyone thought it.”

“Well hopefully they find out soon.” Karina says.


“Should we call them now? I bet Giselle already talked Winter’s ear off.” Ningning says pulling her phone out.

“Sure.” Jimin shrugs.

“Wait - let’s call with your phone. I want to hear how Winter addresses you.” Ningning grins menacingly and Karina rolls her eyes.

“You are so annoying.” Karina says but she still complies.

 

The facetime ringtone jingle rings for a couple times before Minjeong’s signature whines come through the phone.

 

“Jimin-unnie!” Minjeong whines and Ningning and Jimin can see Giselle tackling her. Minjeong is under Giselle as the Japanese girl tries to grab the phone. “Help me!”

“You’re on your own, baby.” Jimin chuckles.

“Aw you called her baby!” Giselle giggles.

“And she calls you Jimin!” Ningning squeals.

“Why are we friends with them?” Minjeong asks with a grimace.

“I wonder too.” Jimin says and Ningning shoves her.

“Ow!” Jimin whines.

“That’s what you get!” Ningning sticks her tongue out at her childishly.

 

“Wait, so are you guys going to homecoming together?” Giselle asks, pushing Winter’s face down on her mattress.

“H-hey!” Winter wrestles and Jimin giggles. Winter finally escapes and speaks. “I’m waiting for Jimin to ask me!” 

“I will ask.” Jimin says.

“How will you?” Ningning asks. “Like with a bang or a sweet little moment?”
“It’s a surprise.” Jimin shrugs.

“You .” - “Boo!” Ningning and Giselle both say.

“Okay, you two need to go home. It’s late and we have school and the homecoming game tomorrow.” Jimin says, pushing Ningning off her bed.

“Fine.” She pouts.

“Bye, Karina!” Giselle waves and Karina does the same in return.

 

Karina drives Ningning back home and she does her night routine. Once she’s in bed again, she calls Minjeong alone this time.

 

“Hey.” Jimin greets her.

“Hi.” Minjeong’s small voice cuts through and Jimin smiles.

“Are you tired?” Jimin chuckles.

“A little.” Minjeong answers.

“Should I let you sleep?” Jimin asks and Minjeong is quick to protest.

“No - no, it’s okay. You can talk.” Minjeong says.

 

Jimin laughs echoes in the phone and Minjeong smiles unconsciously.

 

“I miss you.” Minjeong says.

“We saw each other earlier.” Jimin says.

“I miss you all the time.” Minjeong says simply.

“Crazy to think how before the summer we were avoiding each other, and now we’re so cheesy.” Jimin chuckles softly. “...We’ve been missing out.”

“I know. I’m making up for lost time.” Minjeong says and it fills all the crevices of Jimin’s soul with warmth.

“Oh baby.” Jimin grins. “We’ve got all the time in the world.”

 

Minjeong giggles at Jimin’s sultry tone.

 

“How are you going to ask me to homecoming?” Minjeong asks her. “Are you gonna hit me with the boombox and serenade outside my room window combo, or a ‘ten things I hate about you’ moment?” 

Jimin cackles at the suggestions. “I’ll surprise you.”

“Better be a good one.” Minjeong yawns.

“I’ll let you sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jimin says softly.

“Okay… night, Jiminie.” Minjeong drawls before the line goes silent.

Jimin smiles. “Goodnight, Minjeongie.” She ends the call.

 

 

The next day at school, everyone bats an eye when Karina sits with Winter, Giselle, and Ningning. They bat an eye further when Jimin has an arm loosely around Minjeong’s waist and people are elated to know they’re close friends.

 

It’d be more fun if they knew how close they were, but that’s for later.

 

“Are you sure you’re allowed to be here?” Minjeong asks Jimin. “You should be practising for tonight.”

“I can spend some time with my girlfriend if I want.” Jimin smiles, stealing a fry off Minjeong’s tray. “Coach Seulgi won’t miss me that much.”

“You’re their star player.” Ningning deadpans and Jimin shrugs happily.

“I wish we never found out you guys were together.” Giselle gags. “Seeing you two together is sickening.” 

“Get used to it.” Minjeong sticks her tongue out and Giselle rolls her eyes.

 

Ningning reaches over to Minjeong’s tray and Jimin swats her away.

 

“Dude!” Ningning whines. “What gives!”

“Those are Minjeong’s fries.” Jimin states.

“But you’ve been eating them!” Ningning splutters and Jimin raises an eyebrow at her.

“And?” She smirks and Ningning holds it together because she wants nothing more than to reach over and strangle Karina.

“Quit it.” Minjeong elbows her girlfriend. “Ning, you can have them.”

“Thanks, Min.” Ningning beams as she sticks her tongue out at Jimin who raises a fist at her.

“I think Yeji’s looking for you.” Giselle says, pointing behind Jimin. Jimin turns and sees Yeji standing at the entrance of the cafeteria with her arms crossed over her chest with a glare. Jimin smiles sheepishly before getting up.

“Well, duty calls.” She says squeezing Minjeong’s hand. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay.” Minjeong smiles.

 

Winter turns back to her friends with a smile still on her face.

 

“You’re whipped.” Giselle snorts.

“Like horrendously down bad.” Ningning laughs and Minjeong sighs.

“Yes, I'm in love with Jimin - I know.” Winter rolls her eyes, but she stops halfway when she realises what she had just said.

 

Ningning and Giselle seem to have caught on as they look at her blankly as well.

 

“What did you just say?” Giselle blinks.

“I..” Winter’s throat grows parched.

“Repeat it right now, oh my god.” Ningning’s eyes are wide.

“I love… I love Jimin.” Winter says quietly and Ningning squeals as she reaches over the table and grabs Winter by her shoulders violently.

“You have to tell her!” Giselle says.

“Like right now!” Ningning says.

“She’s at soccer practice!” Winter swats Ningning away.

“No wait - I have a better idea!” Giselle pulls Ningning back. “Say it at the homecoming dance!”

 

Winter weighs the idea in her mind and it actually doesn’t sound half as bad as whatever Ningning wants to say.

 

“Okay.” She agrees easily.

“Okay - okay? Like you’ll really do it?” Giselle blinks.

“Sure.” Winter shrugs. “Nothing’s holding me back.” She says easily and her two friends begin to pout.

“You guys are weird.” She sighs.

“You’re so grown up!” - “My baby!”

 

She shakes her head as Giselle and Ningning hold her in a bone-crushing hug.



 



 

Jimin steps side to side beside her teammates as she tries to warm up on the field. She shudders as she releases a cloud of fog from her breath.

 

“Yu.” Jimin’s head snaps towards her coach and she blinks.

“Yes, coach?” She blinks.

“Where’s your letterman, sweetie?” Seulgi asks as she’s been watching the poor girl freeze to death.

“Oh I gave it to my girlfriend.” Jimin says and Seulgi looks at her unimpressed. “What? She was cold.”

“I don’t even know what to say, but congratulations and you’re stupid.” Seulgi tells her and Jimin beams.

“Thanks, coach.” Jimin chuckles.


 

Up in the bleachers, Minjeong sinks into Jimin’s letterman and breathes in the fresh scent on the jacket. Jimin’s the only sports player that Minjeong knows that never smells bad. Jimin always smells fresh like the summer and only smells like toasted bread when she’s done playing soccer. Minjeong loves the smell even Jimin insists she smells.

 

“Can you see Jimin?” Giselle asks from beside her.

“Yeah - she’s standing down there.” Minjeong tells her.

“Hah, that idiot. She’s sacrificing herself to give you the jacket.” Giselle snorts.

“Sweet idiot.” Minjeong rolls her eyes.

 

She looks around and turns back to Giselle.

 

“Where’s Ning?” She asks.

“You’ll hear her before you see her.” Giselle shakes her head with amusement and surely, it begins.

“Go Blue devils!” Ningning marches up the stands with blue paint on her face, a cap, and the giant foam fingers.

“Oh my - Ning you look ridiculous!” Minjeong screams as she laughs.

“They just started to give away free stuff ‘cause I was late to the shop.” Ningning shrugs as she takes the seat beside Giselle. 

 

The loud music begins to pump as the school band begins their rally. The cheerleaders begin their performance as well. Giselle and Ningning get up and scream so it felt like Minjeong should as well so she stood up and did the same.

 

Soon, the game begins and Minjeong sees Jimin running on the field beside Yeji. They go neck and neck as they pass the ball to each other to avoid the other team. Yeji passes to Somi, then back to Jimin but then it gets intercepted and it has Minjeong gripping onto her seat.

 

Jimin’s always been different when she’s on the field. Off the field, Jimin’s a giant goofball and flirt. She’s pretty easy going and relaxes every moment she can. Her eyes are warm and her touch is gentle, but when she’s on the field, she’s ruthless. Sharp eyes and rough movements, Jimin is a god on the field. Jimin’s focus is on her team and the ball as she weaves through the field like a quick snake.

 

The blue devils have always won homecoming games and Minjeong doesn’t want to jinx it, but she hopes they win again.

 

The next moment, they’re all standing— no longer hanging on the edge of their seats as they see Jimin running full speed with the ball towards the goal. She kicks and it soars— catching in the net.

 

The crowd roars and the band music starts up again twice as loud. Minjeong screams her lungs out and she pulls Ningning and Giselle in for a hug.

 

Jimin gets lifted up by her teammates as they throw her up in the air. She celebrates them for a little bit before running off towards the school band. She talks to them quickly and then she’s handed a microphone.

 

She taps the microphone and the feedback silences the crowd.

 

Minjeong blinks when Jimin’s eyes land on hers and she smirks.

 

“You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off of you.” Jimin’s voice fills the field. “You'd be like Heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much.”

 

Jimin begins to make her way towards Minjeong.

 

“At long last love has arrived, and I thank God I'm alive, you're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off you…”

 

The band begins to play and Minjeong’s eyes widen when she hears Jimin’s sweet voice and realises what she’s doing.

 

“No freaking way…” Giselle smiles with her jaw agape.

 

“I love you, baby, and if it's quite alright, - I need you, baby, to warm the lonely night!” Jimin sings her heart out. 

 

“I love you, baby, trust in me when I say…. Oh, pretty baby, don't bring me down, I pray - Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay and let me love you, baby, let me love you~!

 

Jimin’s made her way up the bleachers and she’s standing on the row below Minjeong after the people had cleared a space for her. Jimin smirks before leaning forward with the mic. Minjeong looks elsewhere, fully knowing everyone’s eyes are on her and she wants to run away but she can’t do that to Jimin.

 

“Kim Minjeong!” Her voice rings through the crowd and Minjeong sighs fondly. “As your girlfriend, will you do the honours of coming with me to homecoming as my date?”

Minjeong grins before shaking her head fondly. She takes the microphone in her hand and shouts. “Yes!”

 

“She said yes everyone!” Jimin whoops into the mic and the crowd erupts into cheers again.

 

Giselle and Ningning grab Jimin and pull her up to the stand they’re on and then they push her onto Minjeong. Jimin gets the hint and grabs the back of Minjeong’s neck and holds her by the hip before kissing her for everyone to see and know.

 

The crowd cheers louder again and Minjeong’s cheek flares so red, she doesn’t think it’ll ever go back to its normal state.



 


 

It’s the next night at the homecoming dance and Minjeong has been completely aware of all the talk and the cheering directed at her but this time she doesn’t suffer alone as Jimin walks right beside her, hand in hand.

 

“I still can’t believe you pulled a ‘ten things I hate about you’ on me.” Minjeong still shakes her head in disbelief as Jimin leads her into the school auditorium.

“Well you planted the idea in my head.” Jimin shrugs. “I did well didn’t I?”

“Yes, you won the game and got the girl. I think you’re living the dream life right now, Yu Jimin.” Minjeong guffaws and Jimin smiles as she looks at Minjeong fondly.

“I definitely am.” She says softly and Minjeong kisses her chastely before they enter the dance.

 

“Look who it is! Star couple of this school!” Somi whoops as she passes them.

“Thanks Somi.” Jimin rolls her eyes.
“You’re welcome, winner.” Somi winks at them before running off.

 

Minjeong spots Ningning and Giselle at a table and pulls Jimin towards them.

 

“I actually still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that Karina just did that yesterday - like the image is still so fresh in my mind.” Giselle laughs.

“I’m so glad I recorded it.” Ningning sips on her cup.

“Seriously? Send it to the group chat omg.” Giselle squeals. “I was so mindblown that I didn’t get a chance to record it.”

“I got you, girl.” Ningning winks at her.

 

The lights in the place stop shooting beams everywhere and it changes into softer colours as it moves to focus on the dance floor. 

 

“Oh, look, it's dance time.” Giselle gushes.

 

Jimin turns to Minjeong and offers her arm.

 

“Shall we?” Jimin asks Minjeong with a smug smile.

“We shall.” Minjeong nods before grabbing onto Jimin as she leads them down to the dance floor.

 

They immediately get into the same position they had at the debutant and it has them both dying of laughter.

 

“Muscle memory, oh god.” Minjeong giggles.

“They really drilled the routine into us.” Jimin laughs.

“We gotta stop - everyone’s looking at us funny.” Minjeong tries to stifle her laughter.

“They’re just jealous.” Jimin smiles as she grabs Minjeong’s hands and wraps them around her waist. Jimin then rests her hands on Minjeong’s shoulders as they sway to the music, chatting here and there.

 

After a while, Minjeong notices this expression on Jimin’s face that’s borderline smug and menacing.

 

“Why’s your face like that?” She decides to ask.

“Like what?” Jimin feigns ignorance.

“Like you’re about to pull another stunt like you did yesterday.” Minjeong’s sceptical.

“It’s nothing too major.” Jimin shakes her head.

 

The lights turn from an assortment of yellow, blue and red hues to soft purple, pink and teal hues. They dim and then the song changes and the volume goes up. Minjeong recognises the song immediately and she turns to Jimin to see her grinning widely like a happy child.

 

“You’re kidding.” Minjeong scoffs with a smile.

“Baby, I’m so serious right now.” Jimin grins as she twirls Minjeong around before bringing her closer.

 

She brings Minjeong’s hands up and she wraps them around her shoulder before bringing Minjeong in close by the waist as she leans down and sings into Minjeong’s ear.

“And I'm highly suspicious that everyone who sees you wants you… I've loved you three summers now, honey, but I want 'em all.”

 

Can I go where you go?

 

Minjeong hugs Jimin tightly, smiling against her shoulder as the taller girls ways them and spins them around.

 

Can we always be this close forever and ever?

 

take me out, and take me home (forever and ever)

 

You're my, my, my, my…

 

Lover.

 

Minjeong pulls back and Jimin’s looking at her. The taller girl is looking down at her face, searching for something in the depths of Minjeong’s round glistening eyes.

 

“Jimin, I love you.” Minjeong says.

 

Jimin blinks— breath hitching before she breaks out into a wide grin and lifts Minjeong off her feet— spinning her in the air.

 

“I love you too!” Jimin shouts from the rooftops. Minjeong wriggles out and clasps a hand over Jimin’s mouth before pulling her out of the crowd.

 

Jimin follows close behind like a puppy in trouble with their small angry owner.


 



 

Jimin gets the girl after three summers and Minjeong is loved like she wants to with all the time in the world left.