All The Time In The World (I Still Love You)

I've Loved You Three Summers Now (JMJ)

 

 

 

“Wait so you’re going all the way to your grandparents hometown?” Giselle asks as Winter empties her locker.

“Yeah.” Winter answers.

“But that’s like hours away!” Giselle gasps. “We’ll never get to see each other over summer break!”

“I’ll still talk to you, Gi.” Winter laughs. “I won’t leave you in the dark.”
“You totally cannot leave me in the dark because you’re rich and I need constant updates of your outdated practices!” Giselle grins.

“I’m not rich..” Winter grumbles.

“Okay but your family is old money and you guys hold balls, dude.” Giselle deadpans. “If that’s not rich and outdated, I don’t know what is.”

“It’s a debtuanté.” Winter sighs.

“Same thing, rich girl.” Giselle shrugs. “It’s still the same. You have to find an , and then get a dress and practise a waltz.”

Ugh - don’t remind me.” Winter groans.

“Oh yeah, your mother is totally going to hound you on that, right?” Giselle says and Winter nods dejectedly.

“When it was my sister’s deb, the spotlight wasn’t on me but the family had to attend - but I still found a way to run away.” Winter recounts.

“Oh yeah, what’d you even do that time?” Giselle snickers.

“Right, I was-” Winter begins as she closes her locker shut but she stops herself.

 

Winter has one hand on the locker clasp and her eyes are elsewhere as they accidentally meet Yu Karina’s one’s from the opposite side of the lockers.

 

“You were?” Giselle blinks.

“Um - I don’t really remember. I think I just stayed in my room…” Winter looks away as she turns back to Giselle.

“Of course you did.” Giselle snorts.

“Anyways, I can’t find a way out of this because the spotlight is actually on me this time since I’m turning seventeen.” Winter sighs.

“That’s right, seventeen is when you debutant’s get shown to the entire world.” Giselle snorts.

“Yep.” Winter quips.

“Well, I’ll be needing constant updates because if it’s anything like the movies, there will be hot people and I need to know.” Giselle tells her.

“Ew - everyone I know there I grew up with. They’re like my cousins.” Winter grimaces.

“So you’re saying your is going to be your cousin?” Giselle deadpans and Winter scowls.

“Not what I - you know what, it doesn’t matter.” She sighs, shaking her head.

“I’ll find someone who isn’t affiliated with my family to me.” Winter says offhandedly.

“Uh, good luck with that.” Giselle almost guffaws. “You and your family know everyone in that town.”

 

Winter in a breath.

 

“Come on, fret about it later.” Giselle links her arm with Winter’s. “We’re about to have our last class as juniors.”

“Right..” Winter sighs as they begin to descend down the hall.

 

Winter turns back ever so slightly and looks over her shoulder. She sees Karina staring right back at her, and she looks away.




 

Winter’s packing her bags with her phone clamped between her shoulder and ear as she talks to Giselle.

 

“You promise to keep me updated?” Giselle says and Winter chuckles.

“Only if you do the same.” She answers.

 

They talk for a little more before Winter says goodbye since she’s exceptionally terrible at multitasking as her suitcase has barely been filled with actual necessities. She hums along to the music playing from her phone as she picks out which items to bring and not bring.

 

“Mind if I come in?” Winter jolts in surprise when she hears another voice that isn’t her in her room.

“Jesus - mom! You scared the crap out of me!” Winter gasps.

“Sorry.” Taeyeon smiles sheepishly.

 

Taeyeon enters the room and takes a seat on Winter’s bed where there aren't any strewn pieces of clothing lying around.

 

“So… you excited to come back to my hometown?” Taeyeon asks.

“I’m just excited to see Chaewon-unnie ever since she started to go to college there.” Winter smiles softly.

“She says she misses you too.” Taeyeon smiles.

“I know.” Winter grins as she folds a t-shirt.

“Are you excited to be a debutant?” Taeyeon grins as she reminisces on her memories of her own ball attendance as well as Chaewon’s.

“So excited.” Winter says monotonously and Taeyeon throws a t-shirt at her.

“Mom - I just folded that!” Winter whines as the shirt lands on the floor.

 

“Be excited! It’s only once you turn seventeen and get shown to all the families!” Taeyeon says sternly and Winter huffs.

“I don’t like being shown off.” She grumbles.

“Well it up because Chaewon didn’t want to do it either but she still did it to make us happy.” Taeyeon says and Winter snorts.

“God, I remember. It was the worst time of her life and she had Yu Taeyang as her .” She doubles over and her mother rolls her eyes.

 

“Speaking of the Yu’s.” Taeyeon begins and Winter freezes in the slightest of movements. “We’re expecting Yu Jaemin to be your .”

“Ew.” Winter frowns as she relaxes.

“Why? He seems like a nice boy, and plus didn’t you guys date in middle school?” Taeyeon says and Winter rolls her eyes.

“Obviously to you he’s nice - plus having rumours and peer pressure in middle school does not count as dating.” Winter says.

“But you guys said you would marry when you were younger.” Taeyeon says.

“I remember no such thing.” Winter lies with a shrug. “No way will I have Jaemin as my .” Winter shudders at the thought of it.

“It’s family tradition, Minjeong.” Taeyeon sighs. “We’ve had such close ties with the Yu’s for so long, we just want to have at least one of our kids marry each other. It obviously didn’t work with Taeyang and Chaewon, so we have you and Jaemin left.”

“But-” What about… Winter shakes her head lightly. “I will never ever marry Jaemin.”

“Can you at least get along with him so we can just get your debutante over and done with since you’re so eager?” Taeyeon rolls her eyes and Winter smiles.

“That I can do.” She nods.

“Smartass...” Taeyeon mutters before getting up.

 

She leaves Winter to finish up with her packing.


 

The next day, it’s honestly all a blur from the morning where her dad, mom and herself piled into their car and began the road trip. Winter barely got any sleep the night before so she was fortunate to get some shut eye in the car.

 

When she wakes, she finds her dad turning into a familiar resident she recalls from the years before when she was here last summer, and many summers before.

 

Her grandparents’ house is nice— that’s an understatement, it's practically a mansion and it speaks volumes about being old money without having to say a word. Giselle’s jaw dropped when she showed the house around to her. She called it a mansion and then asked Winter to buy her a lamborghini, to which she said no to, obviously.

 

“Minjeong!” Winter twists like a meerkat at the sound of her sister’s voice. She sees her running out from the house and Minjeong grins like a child.

“Chaewon!” Minjeong meets her in the middle and Chaewon hugs her tightly— practically squeezing the air out of her.

“W-wait - I can’t breathe!” Minjeong heaves and Chaewon only squeezes her tighter.

“Good.” She grins.

 

Minjeong manages to push her off and then Chaewon’s bringing her back in a headlock as she ruffles with Minjeong’s hair.


“Hey!” Minjeong complains as she jabs Chaewon in the stomach with her hands.

“Okay - okay!” Chaewon chuckles before releasing her.

“No matter how old you guys get - you’re still like this.” Kibum shakes his head lightly with amusement at the sight of his two daughters together.

“It’s not everyday I get to see little Minjeong in the flesh.” Chaewon says.

“Chaewon-ah, help carry your sister’s things in!” Taeyeon calls out.

 

Chaewon takes a look at Minjeong’s suitcase and duffle bag and she smirks.

 

“Please?” Minjeong attempts and Chaewon snorts.

“You wish.” She says before turning around and skipping away into the house.

“Damn you…” Minjeong curses under her breath before she begins to pull her things up the hill.

 

Her suitcase comes to a stop and her duffle bag thuds when it hits the ground. She collapses onto her bed when she reaches it and breathes out all the air in her lungs, face down onto her pillow.

 

She closes her eyes for a moment and then she hears footsteps running up to her room.

 

“Don’t fall asleep yet.” Chaewon snickers and Minjeong weakly lifts her head up. “You have to greet grandma and grandpa.”

“Okay.” Minjeong whines before pushing herself off the bed. She goes to the bathroom in her room and washes her face with cold water before trotting downstairs to see her grandparents.

Harabeoji, Halmeoni!” Minjeong grins like she’s four again as she sees them waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs.

“Ah, our Minjeongie grew up so well!” Her grandpa smiles until his eyes crinkle and wrinkle.

 

She hugs them both tightly.

 

“Our Minjeongie is so pretty now~” Her grandma coos and she pulls away.

“Not anymore than you, Halmeoni!” Minjeong says back and they all laugh.

 

She feels Chaewon’s presence as she glides past Minjeong whispering, “ up..”

 

Minjeong sticks a foot out quickly and manages to trip her slightly. She turns to Chaewon and sticks her tongue out childishly.

 

“You must be hungry, no?” Her grandma mentions and her stomach grumbles.

“So hungry.” Minjeong nods.

“I have cookies if you want them, darling.” Her grandma pats her head lovingly and she beams.

“Really!” Minjeong buzzes with excitement. “Can I eat them now?”
No.” Her mom answers quickly and she frowns.

“Why?” Minjeong pouts.

“Because we’re going to meet everyone else. You can eat there.” Taeyeon tells her and she whines.

“I’m going to go get ready.” Taeyeon tells everyone as she goes upstairs.

 

Minjeong crosses her arms over her chest with an angry expression.

 

“Just go put on a nice dress.” Kibum tries gently as he pats Minjeong’s head as he goes upstairs too.

“...you should have a cookie now.” her grandma says quietly. “They’re gone.”

 

Minjeong’s face lights up and she grins before stuffing a cookie into .

 

After that, Minjeong runs upstairs and fixes her hair and puts on some make-up before putting on a white dress.



 



 

The get-together is boring the life out of Winter already. There are at least fifty sets of parents from other families that come up to greet Winter and to say pretentious things like “Oh, it’s been so long, Winter! You’ve grown up so well and beautiful!” And then she has to awkwardly greet the other kids her age too, and they don’t want to be here any more than her.

 

She finally gets a chance to sit down at her table and her family is all deserted across the hall. She sees her grandparents near the desserts table, she sees Chaewon with her group of friends and she recognises Yunjin from the bunch— someone her sister had always spent time around with.

 

She sees her parents last and she finds them talking to the Yu’s. Taeyang isn’t here this year because he’s busy doing whatever abroad. Jaemin is shaking hands with her father and Winter rolls her eyes but stops halfway when she sees a set of eyes boring right back into hers.

 

She straightens up unconsciously and her breath hitches.

 

Yu Karina.

She’s… here?

 

Her expression is unreadable but Winter feels like she’s seeing right through her like glass and suddenly her cheeks flare with embarrassment.

 

She blinks out of her reverie and the staring contest with Karina when she sees her mother beckoning her over.

 

“.” Winter curses as she rises from her seat. She swallows thickly as she makes her way to them.

 

Her mother puts one hand on her shoulder and her father does the same with the other.

 

“Minjeong - Winter, you prefer to be called Winter, right?” Yu In-na says. “Jaeminie’s told me all about it.”

“Yes, Mrs. Yu.” Winter nods shyly.

“Don’t be so formal! Call me eomoni.” Yu In-na grins and Winter blinks.

“Ha - ha. Y-yes, eomoni.” She stutters and the older woman pats her head gently.

 

Winter tries not to let her gaze deviate to the side behind Yu In-na because she can still definitely feel Karina’s eyes on her.

 

“We were just talking about the debutante ball that’s happening this summer.” She continues.

“Right...” Winter nods.

“Aren’t you just so excited?” She asks and Winter feels her mother subtly tightens her hold on her shoulder.

“Yes - totally! I’m really, really looking forward to it.” Winter grits her teeth.

 

Karina smirks.

 

“Jaemin.” Yu Ji-tae brings his son forward by the shoulder. “He’s been talking non-stop about spending the summer with you!”
Jaemin smiles and something about it unsettles Winter and makes her want to throw something hard and heavy at him.

“I’ve missed you since last summer, Minjeong.” Jaemin pouts and Winter grits her teeth.

“It’s Winter.” She corrects and Jaemin chuckles awkwardly.

“No need to be hostile.” He says quietly and she almost rolls her eyes.

“Now kids, don’t get too excited.” Kibum pulls Winter back a bit and she relaxes.

“Jimin’s been asking about you too even if she’s a tad bit shy about it.” Jaemin nudges his sister harshly subtly and Karina grins.

“It’s Karina, dear brother.” She corrects and he rolls his eyes.

“What’s with kids and changing names these days.” In-na chuckles.

“Well when you have a twin brother with a name too similar, it gets a bit tiring when you get called Jaemin instead of Jimin.” Karina smirks.

“I second that. Mom still calls me Chaewon from time to time.” Winter says and Karina smiles at her.

“But those are two different names?” Karina smiles with her brow raised quizzically.

“I know right!” Winter rolls her eyes playfully and Karina grins.

 

“Look at you girls getting along so well!” In-na beams. “How about you kids go and catch up?”

“Okay.” The three of them answer before moving over to the snacks table.

 

Jaemin tries to talk to Winter the time that they’re there and Winter really is trying her best to keep the convo going, but she’s trying to sneak in a few chocolate strawberries, and Karina standing right beside her isn’t distracting at all.

 

“Minjeong.” Karina leans down beside her ear and Winter flinches slightly.

“Y-yes?” Winter blinks.

“I need to go to the bathroom, come with me?” Karina asks and Winter nods quickly like she’s been possessed by a being that only listens to Yu Karina.

“Okay.” She nods.

“Hey Jae, we’re going to the bathroom.” Karina joins her hands and her fingers curl around Winter’s.

“Okay. I’ll wait here - don’t take too long!” He grins as they begin to walk away.

 

Karina leads her out of the dining hall with her hand still tightly wrapped around Minjeong’s— and the smaller girl pretends it doesn’t make her feel things.

 

“Karina.” Minjeong calls out but the other girl continues to walk, hand tugging on Minjeong’s hand without turning back. “Karina!”

Minjeong rolls her eyes before she huffs. “Jimin.”

 

Jimin stops at a hallway in the banquet hall where large paintings hang on the walls and turns around with a smirk.

 

“Yes? You called?” She grins and Minjeong stomps on her foot and Jimin yelps.

“You were doing it on purpose!” Minjeong whines.

“I wanted you to call me by my name, Minjeongie.” Jimin smiles softly. “Just like we used to. Say my name again.”

“Why?” Minjeong defies.

“Say it.” Jimin comes closer and Minjeong takes a step back.

“W-wait…” Minjeong’s voice hitches when she takes another step back and feels the cool wall behind her as Jimin backs her up into the wall.

 

Jimin leans forward until she’s practically breathing into Minjeong’s mouth— both hands beside Minjeong’s head on the wall. Minjeong looks around hastily and sees that there are no people around them. It is quiet, and only the quiet distinct chatter and music from the main hall can be heard in the distance.

 

“Call me by my name.” Jimin shifts to her ear and Minjeong shudders as she feels her breath against her neck.

“J-Jimin.” Minjeong says quietly and Jimin smiles. “Jimin.”

“Good girl.” Jimin says in that low voice of hers.

 

She trails down and then she’s nuzzling into the side of Minjeong’s neck, breathing warmly on Minjeong’s neck. Minjeong puts her hands up and tries to push Jimin away as she holds onto Jimin’s shoulders.

 

“What are you…” Minjeong’s voice is weak.

“You smell nice.” Jimin says simply as she breathes in Minjeong’s scent, and nuzzles against the soft smooth skin.

 

Jimin drops her hands and wraps them around Minjeong’s frame, pulling her in the waist until they’re hugging without any space left between them. Minjeong hesitantly wraps her arms around Jimin’s shoulder and she feels Jimin smile into her shoulder— releasing a contented sigh.

 

“I guess you missed me a lot?” Minjeong humours and she expects Jimin to do so too, but it catches her off guard— hitches her breath when she hears what Jimin says next.

“I did.” Jimin says softly, pulling away and looking right into Minjeong’s eyes. “You have no idea, Minjeong-ah.”

 

Minjeong feels a blush come to her cheeks as her eyelashes flutter— trying to avert her eyes even if she can still feel Jimin’s eyes on her.

 

“Why aren’t you looking me in the eye, Minjeong-ah?” Jimin’s lips curl into an overly saccharine smile.

“B-because you caught me off guard.” Minjeong says through a clenched jaw.

“Really?” Jimin smirks as she places a hand at Minjeong’s nape, feeling her pulse. “Your heart’s beating really fast.”

“You flustered me.” Minjeong frowns as she swats Jimin’s hand away..

“So what I’m hearing is that I made your heart flutter?” Jimin asks cockily and Minjeong rolls her eyes as she meets Jimin’s gaze.

“So cocky.” Minjeong tuts. “Did you even need to pee?”
“Nope.” Jimin answers easily. “Just wanted to get you alone for a moment.”

“What? So you can cuddle up to me? I’m sensing an ulterior motive.” Minjeong humours and Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

Jimin’s hands return to their favourite spot at Minjeong’s hips.

 

“It’s not my fault I miss you and want to touch you when someone’s been ignoring me all this time.” Jimin pouts and Minjeong’s heart stutters.

“I-I haven’t been ignoring you!” Minjeong defends herself.

“Then you’ve been avoiding me?” Jimin tilts her head with a lopsided smile.

“You have too!” Minjeong exclaims and Jimin nods with a smirk.

“Fine. I guess we have been avoiding each other since that night.” Jimin says and Minjeong’s blinks when an image pops into her mind.

 

They’re fifteen and have just run away from Taeyang and Chaewon’s debutante. Feeling bored and not wanting to be there, Jimin walks Minjeong all the way home until they both end up in Minjeong’s bedroom. They unlock Minjeong’s grandfather’s liquor cabinet and raid it for something easy and cheap. They share a couple drinks before they’re bubbling with laughter, drunk off their asses for the first time in fifteen years of living.

 

They stumble up to Minjeong’s bedroom and lay on the bed. They both lay on their sides, facing each other as Jimin counts Minjeong’s eyelashes and Minjeong focuses on the mole under Jimin’s lips.

 

“What, so are you going to run away when it’s your debutante too?” Jimin chuckles.

“Probably, but you’re running away with me too, right?” Minjeong smiles and Jimin rolls her eyes affectionately.

“Of course.” She agrees easily.

 

When Minjeong asked Jimin to leave the ball with her and the taller girl agreed immediately, she envisioned them doing something reckless like crashing a party or spending money, but here they are, very tipsy and laying by each other on Minjeong’s bed.

 

“Have you ever kissed anyone?” Minjeong asks quietly and Jimin eyes are oozing with affection, but Minjeong thinks it’s the trick of the light and it’s because they’re tipsy.

“I have.” Jimin answers.

“Really?” Minjeong asks and she nods.

“It was some guy back in middle school.” Jimin shrugs. “Wasn’t that great but I’m experienced now. Have you?”

“No.” Minjeong shakes her head. “I… I want to know what it’s like.” She admits quietly.

“Why?” Jimin asks with a lazy smirk.

“Because I’m curious.” Minjeong says and Jimin doesn’t miss the way Minjeong’s eyes flit back down to her lips.

 

Jimin her lips unconsciously as she pushes herself up to her elbow and hovers above Minjeong. Minjeong lays flat on her back as she blinks up at Jimin.

 

“How about I show you?” Jimin asks and Minjeong nods meekly.

 

Jimin caresses Minjeong’s pink cheeks softly with her hand that’s not propping herself up and leans down— breathing on Minjeong’s mouth to gauge a reaction. The girl under her doesn’t seem to resist, so Jimin leans down all the way and captures Minjeong’s lips in a gentle kiss. Minjeong’s eyes flutter close as a warm sensation tingles all over her lips and travels to all the crevices of her soul.

 

Jimin pulls away as she peers down at Minjeong, feeling nervous all of a sudden when Minjeong just looks back up at her.

 

“How was that?” Jimin tries to ask with masked confidence.

“I think…” Minjeong her lips and tastes the remnants of Jimin. “I think I need more to know.”

 

Minjeong hovers herself off her back as Jimin leans back down to kiss her.

 

A tongue pushes into Minjeong’s mouth and she doesn’t shy away when a moan of satisfaction slips out from between their lips and she blushes a bit when she finds herself not able to keep it together.

 

Jimin sits up and Minjeong follows. Jimin helps Minjeong into her lap and Minjeong swings her leg over until she’s straddling Jimin.

 

Jimin moves down to place light kisses down the length of Minjeong’s neck and Minjeong’s eyes roll into the back of her head.

 

She grabs Jimin’s hands and slips them both under her shirt just where her waist is.

 

Jimin pulls away with her heart beating out of her chest as she looks at Minjeong.

 

“What - what are you…” She can’t form a thought.

“I want you to touch me.” Minjeong rasps out and Jimin glides her hands to Minjeong’s soft skin at her back and the girl shudders in pleasure at the contact.

 

Minjeong breathes heavily as her hands tangle themselves into Jimin’s hair as Jimin continues to kiss at the column of her neck and jaw— even trailing down to her collarbone. Minjeong savours the feeling of soft lips on hers and she doesn’t shy away from the soft noises of glee that she releases when Jimin’s hand moves its way higher up her shirt.

 

Jimin pulls away again and looks up into Minjeong’s eyes.

 

“I think we should… I think we should stop, Minjeong.” Jimin hesitates and speaks in a small voice.

“I… I don't want to.” Minjeong blushes and Jimin smiles softly.

“Are you sure?” Jimin asks again and Minjeong nods firmly.

“I’m sure.. I - I want you.” Minjeong confesses and Jimin’s cheeks flare.

 

Jimin never takes her eyes away from Minjeongs as she brings her hand to cup Minjeong’s jaw, and the other at her hip to bring her closer.

 

“Can I?” She asks as she toys with the hem of Minjeong’s shirt.

 

Minjeong nods and Jimin kisses her chastely before using both hands to lift up Minjeong’s shirt over her head. Jimin looks down and her face feels hot when she sees Minjeong’s lacy bralette.

 

Jimin brings them back together in a lingering kiss with her arms exploring the warmth of Minjeong’s body. The kiss is hungry, but no aggression is present. Instead, the kiss is soft, gentle, warm and of pure ecstasy.

 

That night is unspoken of and they did things that left an everlasting effect.

 

Minjeong finally gains consciousness again and blinks when she sees Jimin looking at her with a smirk.

 

“You were thinking of it, weren’t you?” Jimin questions and Minjeong blushes— abruptly shoving Jimin away.

“No!” She feels her cheek with the back of her head and feels a heat. “What if I was thinking of someone else?” She scoffs.

“I doubt it.” Jimin shrugs confidently and Minjeong hates her smile.

“We should get back to the party.” Minjeong shakes her head, feeling the bittersweet feelings she felt that night begin to resurface now that Jimin’s here.

“Okay.” Jimin agrees quietly.

 

 

---

 

Minjeong wakes up the next day with clothes on and she looks for Jimin, who isn't beside her at all. There is no trace of Jimin and only what is left behind is Minjeong's drunken memories. Something hollows carves itself out of Minjeong's chest and it aches until the next summer, and the summer after.

 

---

 

 

When they make their way back, Jimin doesn’t make a move to latch onto Minjeong’s hand and somehow, Minjeong is grateful for that.

 

Minjeong functions on autopilot for the rest of the day, and then she’s in the kitchen with her father— washing the dishes as they’ve finished dinner.

 

Minjeong rinses the dishes with cold water as her father washes them.

 

“So… how was seeing Jaemin?” Kibum asks and Minjeong sighs.

“Normal… why?” She questions.

“Just I don’t know…” Kibum shugs cryptically. “Don’t you think it’s nice to see him more out of school?”
“Not really.” Minjeong shrugs.

“Don’t you think he’s cute?” Her father probes and she closes her eyes.

 

All she can think about is Jimin and her father is speaking about the other Yu— which is not making it any better for her.

 

“I get it.” Minjeong rolls her eyes as she stops him from beating around the bush. “Jaemin and I wanted to marry each other when we were like four.”

“You never wanted to marry Jaemin when you were four.” Kibum chortles as he scrubs a dish.

 

Minjeong slows down rinsing the plate in her hand until she completely stops and looks at her father.

 

“What?” She questions.

“You never wanted to marry Yu Jaemin when you were four.” He repeats.

“No, no - I heard you.” Minjeong blinks. “What do you mean by that?”

“Oh, just when you were younger you rarely played with Jaemin.” Kibum says it simply and Minjeong is confused.

“Then who did I play with?” She frowns.

“Jimin.” Kibum says.

 

Minjeong’s eyebrows shoot up as drops ajar.

 

“Why are you so surprised?” Kibum chuckles as he passes another dish to Minjeong.

“I - I’m not surprised, I just… I remember everyone saying how cute I was for saying I wanted to marry Jaemin?” She frowns in confusion.

“I guess it was confusing for you.” Kibum chuckles. “Jaemin and Jimin looked exactly like each other when they were four. They both had the same boy haircut and they were almost always together.”

“Woah, what?” Minjeong feels like her whole life has been a lie.

“Yeah, but when they weren’t together, you were always with Jimin.” Kibum chuckles fondly at the memory of little Minjeong. “Every time you’d come home, you’d be like Jimin this, Jimin that.”

“So you’re saying I wanted to marry Jimin?” Minjeong blinks, feeling embarrassed.

“Yeah.” Kibum tells her. “I don’t blame everyone for the confusion because a four year old’s pronunciation is all that great, plus their names are very similar.”

 

Minjeong finishes the dishes and returns to her room where she rifles through her desk drawer. She reaches the bottom of the drawer and pulls out a plastic sleeve where she keeps all the letters and notes she’s gotten over the years from her friends and family.

 

She finds the old delicate paper from thirteen years ago and pulls it out carefully.

 

She sits down on her bed and looks at the card.

 

On the front, it’s decorated with stickers and crayon doodles of two stick figures holding hands. Above them, there is the sun in the corner, clouds and ‘m’ shaped birds. She smiles softly when she sees the heart and initials J+M inside of it above the stick figures.

 

She opens the card and sees the messy scrawl of a four year old and she manages to decipher what it actually says.

 

To: Kim Minjong

 

I love you Kim Minjong and I will marry you !


 

She squints as she tries to read the last time, seeming as if the ink has been run out and had been written over to get a good amount of ink.

 

From: Yu Jimin

 

She manages and she feels the tips of her ears grow red.

 

She calls Giselle.

 

“Wassup!” Giselle beams and Winter looks at the background and sees Aeri in an unfamiliar room.

“Where are you?” Winter questions and then the frame moves to show Ningning.

“With me!” Ningning beams and Winter lights up.

“Oh my god, you guys are together right now? I have FOMO!” Winter whines and Ningning giggles.

“Girl you are living life over there in your fat mansion!” Giselle guffaws.

 

“And don’t you have something to say!” Ningning puts the screen to her face.

“Um no..?” Winter blinks.

“When were you going to tell us that Yeji, Ryujin and Karina are there with you?!” Ningning says and Winter rolls her eyes.

“It didn’t seem important.” Winter shrugs.

“It should be important because Yeji posted something and you and Karina were in the background being buddy-buddy.” Giselle says knowingly and Winter freezes.

“W-were not buddy-buddy!” Winter blushes.

“I bet you’re trying to get close to Jaemin that’s why you’re up to his sister!” Giselle gasps.

“Can we not jump to conclusions!” Winer whines.

“Um the picture is pretty clear right now.” Ningning says and Winter sighs.

“Believe it or not, Karina and I are friends.” Winter decides to say.

“I have never seen you two interact in my life.” Giselle says.

“Well, we’re friends over here.” Winter tells them. “We grew up together so it’s pretty normal for us to know each other and everyone else.” She shrugs.

“Makes sense.” They settle.

 

Winter ends the call and promises she’ll tell them things from now on. She washes up and falls asleep fairly quickly as she remembers her mom saying something about a community brunch at their local golf club that’s happening next week.

 

The days between her settling in and the brunch blur and suddenly she’s getting ready with Chaewon in her room.

 

The next time she sees Jimin, it’s at the family brunch. Minjeong sees her at the kiddy table, awkwardly perched on a chair as she crouches to meet the height of the other kids. Jimin sees her and beckons her over with a pleading face. Minjeong, just for the sake of teasing, shakes her head.

 

Please. Jimin mouths desperately and Minjeong rolls her eyes with a smile before coming over. Jimin grins in triumph when she sees the other girl walking towards them.

 

“Minjeong-noona!” One of the little boys call out.

“Yes, Bin-ah.” Minjeong coos sweetly at him. “Are you having fun with Jimin-noona?”

“Yes but it’ll be more fun if you’re here too!” He pouts and Minjeong’s laugh trickles into Jimin’s ears like a sweet melody.

“Okay, I’ll sit and play too.” She looks around for a chair and finds none. She sees one far at the catering table but Jimin grabs her wrist and stops her.

 

She turns to Jimin and sees patting her lap with a cheeky smile. Minjeong rolls her eyes and crosses her arms over her chest.

 

“Our families are around.” Minjeong says quietly. “And other people.”

“So?” Jimin scoffs. “They’ll think we’re best friends, now sit.”

 

Minjeong wastes no time when Jimin pulls her down until she’s sitting squarely on Jimin’s lap. Jimin’s arms snake around her waist and Minjeong pretends the contact doesn’t make her blush as she excuses it for Jimin holding her in place.

 

“Noona! Me too!” Bin jumps up and down and Minjeong chuckles fondly before picking him up to sit her on her lap. Minjeong shakes her head lightly and jostles the younger boy to entertain him but then Jimin pinches her side.

 

“Ow - what?” Minjeong asks over her shoulder and almost regrets it when she’s face to face with Jimin— practically breathing into .

“Quit moving.” Jimin grumbles, tightening her hold on Minjeong and Minjeong pouts before stopping and letting the boy down.

“Bin-ah, go play with the other kids - I’ll catch you later.” She says sweetly and he nods before scurrying off to the other younger kids.

 

She smiles as she waves to Bin and then she turns to Jimin with a glare.

 

“Can I sit on my own seat now?” Minjeong asks and Jimin shakes her head with a grin— lightly tapping Minjeong’s stomach with her hands.

“No.” She answers.

“Why?” Minjeong counters.

“Because Lucas Wong is looking at you and I’m preventing myself from going over to him myself to ask him what the hell he wants.” Jimin says and Minjeong blinks.

 

She turns away from Jimin and sure enough, near the refreshments table— there is Lucas Wong staring at her over the rim of his cup, wearing a white polo shirt.

 

“Look at me.” Jimin huffs into her ear and Minjeong flinches.

“I am.” Minjeong tsks at Jimin.

“I don’t like the way he’s looking at you.” Jimin complains.

“Why?” Minjeong chuckles.

“Because he looks like he’s going to take you away from me.” Jimin pouts. “Will you go?”

“No, but he’s coming over and I have to say hi to be polite.” Minjeong slides off Jimin’s lap and straightens her dress as she waits for him to approach her.

 

He plasters a stupid grin on his face and Minjeong holds it all together so as not to vomit at him.

 

“Kim Minjeong in the flesh!” He cheers as he leans down and presses a polite kiss on the back of Minjeong’s hand. Minjeong doesn’t like how he lingers and she yanks her hand back.

“It’s Winter now.” She raises a brow at him.

“Right, Winter.” He nods.

 

Lucas glances behind her and sees Jimin with eyes shooting daggers at him.

 

“Who’s the guard dog?” He asks.

“She’s Karina and she’s not a guard dog.” Minjeong answers with a scowl,

“It was a joke.” He chuckles lightly to break the tension and she rolls her eyes. “I didn’t know you guys were so close.”

“We are.” Jimin’s smirk is full of triumph and Lucas raises an annoyed brow at the tall girl.

“What did you want?” Minjeong asks.

“Well, I wanted to say hi and wanted to ask if you’ll be coming to my pool party tomorrow night.” Lucas tells her and Minjeong scoffs lightly with a smile.

“I’ll think about it.” She shrugs coyly.

“Sure. Make sure you think about it and show up.” He says raising the cup in a manner of goodbye. “I’ll see you.”

 

He walks away and Minjeong gags when she turns back to Jimin who laughs immediately.

 

“Looks like the elders are making a speech, let’s go?” Jimin stands up and holds out a hand for Minjeong, and Minjeong nods— slipping her hand into Jimin’s as they make it through the crowd of families.

 

Coincidentally, the Yu’s and the Kim’s are standing side by side.

 

Minjeong stops on the side of her mom and to her left is Jaemin. He looks down with a grin and rests his hand on her shoulder. Yu In-na watches them fondly. Jimin bulldozes Jaemin and then she’s standing between Minjeong and Jaemin. Her brother scowls at her while Minjeong tries to stifle a laugh.

 

She turns to Jaemin and gives him an overly saccharine grin before resting her hand on Minjeong’s hip— who does nothing to move if it bothers her.

 

Yu In-na sees and she’s happy that the girls are close friends. Taeyeon’s eyes widen for a fraction of time at Jimin’s comfortable hand resting at Minjeong’s hip.

 

“I would like to thank everyone here today for attending…”

 

At some point, Minjeong zones out and Jimin’s hand comes down to her side where Minjeong lightly clings onto her hand, swinging them slightly back and forth.

 

The speech is over and the choir performance by the little kids is also finished. It was adorable and Jimin couldn’t stop gushing about it to Minjeong, who only listened to her fondly. Soon, they joined the other kids their age and Minjeong spotted her sister.

 

“Hey.” She smiles as she hugs her sister quickly.

“Hey you.” Chaewon grins before bringing Yunjin forward and Minjeong hugs her too.

 

Minjeong makes Jimin do the same and it amuses her a lot to watch Jimin flounder like a baby giraffe.

 

Jimin and Yunjin move to talk amongst themselves and Minjeong rests her head against her sister’s shoulder.

 

“Are you tired yet?” Chaewon snorts.

“Can you tell?” Minjeong makes a face and Chaewon laughs.

“Yes, you look like you would’ve dropped dead if it wasn’t for Jimin.” She says and Minjeong rolls her eyes affectionately.

 

“Yo, Winter!” Winter’s head perks up and she sees Ryujin coming over to her.

“What's up!” Winter meets her half way and they do a bro shake before Ryujin hugs her tightly and spins her around— lifting her off the ground.

“Dude!” Winter giggles childishly.

 

Yeji stops beside Jimin and they both have matching scowls.


“Hey.” Jimin greets her without looking.

“Hey you too.” Yeji doesn’t look either.

 

“You look great! I feel like I haven’t seen you in so long!” Ryujin beams and Minjeong pushes her playfully.

“I look like this all the time!” Minjeong grins.

“Oh so you look like an angel everyday?” Ryujin says and then she leans in close to whisper the next words for her to hear only. “Jimin must be lucky.”

 

Minjeong blushes and she shoves Ryujin away— who cackles loudly.

 

“Shut up!” She whines as she raises a fist to her, but Jimin grabs her by the waist and pulls her in.

“Okay, no violence.” Jimin chuckles as she holds Minjeong firmly in place. Minjeong looks down at Jimin’s hands and then she looks back up to see Ryujin looking at her with a -eating grin.

 

In retaliation, she gestures to Yeji with her eyes and Ryujin flushes, looking elsewhere.

 

“Are you guys going to Lucas’s party?” Yeji asks.

“Probably.” Chaewon shrugs. “If Yunjin goes, I go.”

“Yup.” Yunjin grins.

“How about you, Winter?” Yeji turns to her.
“No way.” Minjeong shakes her head. “I am not fond of parties and I despise Lucas.”

“Do you? He’s kind of hot, though.” Yeji shrugs and Jimin tightens her hold on Minjeong subtly.

“I guess I can appreciate beauty, but no.” She shakes her head.

“Nah man, you have to come.” Ryujin says to her. “The last time I partied with you, it was not good enough.”

“I’ll think about it.” She chuckles and she turns to Jimin. “Are you going?”
“I have to.” She rolls her eyes. “If I get drunk, Jaemin has to drive and if he gets drunk, I have to drive.”
“Makes sense.” She nods.

 

“So we’re going then.” Yeji decides for them and Jimin and Minjeong share a look.

 

Oh boy.

 

Nothing ever goes right at a party.


 

The pool party is in full swing and Winter already wants to turn away at the sound of the chatter and bass-boosted music. There are people loitering around the front lawn, all the way through to the backyard of Lucas’ house where the actual pool party is.

 

“C’mon.” Ryujin grins lazily before slinging an arm around Winter’s shoulder. “You look like you’re about to freeze the party with your ice powers, Winter.”

“I might if I could.” Winter retorts with a grin.


Ryujin chuckles before they begin to make their way in.

 

“Hey! You made it!” Yeji beams and then when her eyes land on Winter, she smirks.

“Didn’t want to miss out on the biggest party of the year, right Win?” Ryujin nudges her and she rolls her eyes,

“Yes, of course.” She says monotonously and Yeji laughs.

 

Winter subtly looks around, trying to see off the girl that’s been on her mind for a while.

 

“Looking for Karina?” Yeji asks and Winter scowls.

“N-no.” She blushes.

“Don’t worry, she’s somewhere here. I saw her earlier.” Yeji still tells her and her blush intensifies.

“Thanks but I didn’t ask.” Winter still bites back.

“You thought about it though.” Yeji smirks and Winter fights the urge to do something violent.

“Let’s grab drinks.” Ryujin nudges her and she nods.

 

They make it over to the drinks table and bump into Jaemin on the way.

 

“Hey, you’re here!” Jaemin beams and Winter nods at him.

“Yep.” She sighs.

“You sound like you’re here against your will.” Jaemin notices and Winter chuckles.

“That obvious?” She smiles.

“You’re pretty easy to read.” He tells her and she shrugs.

 

Ryujin hands her a cup and she takes a good sip from it.

 

“You want a drink?” Ryujin directs her question to Jaemin.

“Thanks, but no.” He shakes his head.

“How come?” Winter asks as she recalls in her mind that Jaemin fairly liked to drink and party.

“I drove with Jimin here so one of us has to be sober to get us back.” He says over the music.

“I see.” Winter nods, eyes flitting elsewhere as she tries to catch a glimpse of the taller girl.

“I’ll still get down to the music and have fun though, so don’t worry.” He laughs obnoxiously and Winter rolls her eyes as she looks back to Jaemin.

“Of course.” She chuckles.

“I’ll get back to partying but if you need me, come find me!” He shouts as he dives back into the crowd.

“Will do!” She answers.

 

Ryujin nudges her and Winter turns to her to find her wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

 

“What?” She questions.

“Look at you, two boys at your beck and call.” Ryujin teases and Winter grumbles.

“He’s not at my beck and call - and wait,” Winter blinks. “Two?”
“Yeah, look but don’t look.” Ryujin tells her as she tries to subtly point her gaze to the left.

 

Winter looks as slow as she can, but she still ends up looking at him right in the eye. He stares back at her, eyes narrowing and an insufferable grin matches with it.

 

Winter turns back to Ryujin with a face of disgust.


“Ew, Lucas?” Winter frowns.

“Yes, Lucas.” Ryujin nods. “This is his party after all. Why don’t you go smooch him to say ‘thanks for the awesome party’?”

“You’d have to get me drunk to do something like that.” Winter shakes her head.

“Then get drunk.” Ryujin pushes Winter’s cup until it touches her lips. “Drink up, Winter.”

 

Winter indeed gets tipsy and she remembers dancing with Ryujin but now she’s dancing with someone much taller, and when she looks up to find out whose shadow is looming over her, she finds the party thrower.

 

“Quit glaring.” Yeji tells Karina and Karina snaps her head towards Yeji.

‘I’m not.” She glowers.

“You are.” Yeji rolls her eyes. “Why don’t you just go up to her?”

“She’s having fun.” Karina shrugs.

“You’re a wuss, Yu Karina.” Yeji cackles and Karina growls as she takes a swig of her drink.

 

Winter blinks and he grins at her. Winter tries to look for an escape— not really wanting to talk to a man at the moment.

 

She finds Ryujin and grabs onto her.

 

“I’m going to the bathroom!” She shouts and Ryujin just nods. Winter frowns because that was an indication for her to follow her, but Ryujin stays in her spot of dancing with other people and Winter loses patience. She rolls her eyes and begins to push through the people and heads upstairs to hopefully find a bathroom.

 

She finds the top floor completely empty and she assumes Lucas has put a warning to not go up there, but she needs to pee and she’s drunk, so she doesn’t care.

 

She closes the door and locks it as she does her business. When she’s done, she splashes her face with cold water which sobers her up for a bit. She shakes her hands free of the water and dabs it on her pair of bottoms.

 

She switches off the light and exits to find Lucas coming up the stairs.

 

“Hey.” He smiles at her and Winter musters up to manage a polite smile, since this is his party and house— and she just peed in his bathroom.

“Hi.” She greets hastily as she tries to move past him to go downstairs, but he grabs her arm to stop her.

 

Winter’s gaze travels from his large hand on her wrist to his face and her eyes are cold when she looks him in the eye.

 

“Sorry, I just didn’t want you to leave so fast.” He chuckles, letting go.

“Why?” Winter crosses her arms over her chest— feigning ignorance to his obvious staring and closeless all week.

“Because I want to get to know you properly, Winter.” He grins and Winter scoffs lightly.

“Yeah right.” She rolls her eyes.

“Right.” His gaze darkens and Winter straightens up.

 

He walks forward and Winter walks back. She glances over shoulder and sees that she’s beside a wall— and soon she’s against it.

 

( TW - ual Assault: proceed lightly or skip !! )

 

“What are you…” Winter looks up to his face and sees his expression and her heart drops.

“Shh…” He puts a finger to his lip and he grins like it’ll attract Winter.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Winter places a hand between them and pushes his chest away lightly.

“Come on, don’t act coy.” He rolls his eyes with a grin. “We’ve been sending each other looks since that brunch and we were just dancing together a moment ago.”

“I have not been sending any looks and I didn’t know I was dancing with you.” She defends herself and pushes harder when he comes closer.

“Don’t play hard to get.” He grits his teeth and pushes completely until Winter’s hand falls limp and her back hits the wall soundly— bumping her head.

 

A flash of fear paints Winter’s face pale and her organs tighten as her heart begins to beat like the drums of war.

 

“S-stop!” Winter’s heart begins to beat out of her chest as she tries to wrestle her way out.

“Just stay still!” He spits— holding her wrists against the wall.

 

He leans down and breathes down on her neck with a hot breath and it makes Winter want to crawl out of her own skin. Her legs are between the wall and him, stuck as he leans all his body weight and knees onto her. She wishes to kick and move but she can’t. Winter feels defenceless— her voice is stuck and no sound forms on her tongue. She wants to scream but she is backed into a corner like a dog and her heart won’t stop beating erratically.

 

“You just have to say yes, don’t make it hard.” Lucas says lowly and Winter cries silently— tears forming at her eyes as she whimpers.

 

She feels his hands on her waist— creeping under the hem of her shirt and Winter feels sick. She wants to throw up, she feels dirty and she feels weak.

 

“C’mon, Winter.” The way he says her name makes her skin crawl. “I know you want this as much as I do…”

 

She shuts her eyes tightly and a stream of tears falls from her eyes.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re seriously crying?” He scoffs. “Cry and scream for help if you want to. I doubt anyone can hear you up here.”

 

Winte’rs body tenses up when she feels his hands travel up and she’s immobilised— rooted in her spot.

 

“Winter?” She hears a familiar voice and she opens her eyes. A strangled sob comes out of and she begins to hiccup.

 

Jaemin frowns when he sees Winter backed up into a corner with Lucas all over her.

 

“The are you doing?” Jaemin’s eyes turn dark as he steps forward. Lucas backs up with a sick smug grin on his face.

“We were just having fun weren't we, Winter?” Lucas looks down at her and Minjeong looks down, feeling ashamed.

“Winter, hey.” Jaemin approaches them. “You alright?”

 

As much as Jaemin plays around and says douchey things, he’s always been nice to Minjeong. He cares deep down past all that teenage boy bullcrap.

 

Minjeong inhales sharply and shakes her head.

 

Jaemin huffs before turning to Lucas and shoving him harshly— almost sending him back down the stairs.

 

“The man!” Lucas stumbles back.

“Don’t with any girls - especially Winter!” Jaemin snarls at him.

“I’ll get you back for that.” Lucas grits his teeth before going back downstairs.

 

Minjeong slides down the wall and begins to wail into her arms as she brings her knees to her chest— now feeling safer.

 

“Uh - oh my gosh.” Jaemin blinks as he kneels down in front of Winter. “Hey, it’s okay - he’s gone.”

 

Winter immediately latches onto Jaemin— gripping his shoulders tightly as she hugs him for some kind of comfort. Jaemin stiffens and moves his hands away as she tries his best to stay still and to not touch her.

 

He gently pulls away and holds Winter’s shoulders when he starts to hear her hyperventilating.

 

“Hey, hey - you need to breathe, Winter.” Jaemin panics.

 

Winter tries to find the right amount of oxygen she should take in but it all breaks up into stutters and it hurts her chest.

 

“Winter, come on!” Jaemin urges her but she can’t focus.

 

The next few words Winter manages to stutter out shines with clarity. There’s no confusion between names, no bad pronunciations, and no stutters. It is clear as day and cuts through all the noise.

 

"J-jimin.” Winter whimpers as the tears rush down like a broken tap. “Get Jimin - please.”

 

Jaemin nods haphazardly as he scampers off the floor and rushes down stairs to look for his sister.

 

Jaemin spots his sister hanging around Yeji and grabs her arm quickly.

 

“Hey, hey.” Jaemin calls her quickly and Jimin turns around looking bewildered and slightly prepared to yell at her brother. She opens and closes it just as quickly when she hears what he says.

“It’s Winter.”

 

Jimin races upstairs— pushing through the people without care.

 

She finds Minjeong curled up into a ball and she sits in front of her— placing a gentle touch on Minjeong’s forearm to get her attention.

 

Minjeong’s head snaps up and she feels her body shudder in relief when she sees Jimin as she begins to cry again.

 

“I’m here, Minjeong.” Jimin’s breathing heavily after racing up the stairs and she’s still confused. “I’m here.”

 

Jimin manoeuvres Minjeong onto her lap and the smaller girl doesn’t show a sign of complaint. Minjeong wraps her arms around Jimin and burrows into her neck— staining Jimin’s shirt without holding back and if Jimin feels annoyed, she doesn’t show it at all.

 

Jaemin watches them with a small smile, feeling a sort of defeat settle in his body.

 

“We should take her home.” Jaemin says quietly and Jimin looks at him with a small nod.

 

They get out of the party fairly quickly, Jimin holding Minjeong’s hand as she takes her out and Jaemin walking behind them. Minjeong finds she might just feel okay with standing between two Yu’s for the moment, and especially if Jimin’s holding her out to safety.

 

Jaemin gets into the driver’s seat of his car and watches from the rearview mirror to make sure Jimin and Minjeong get in the car okay.

 

The drive is quick as it is silent and they make it into Minjeong’s house, haphazardly greeting her parents, who are surprised to see both Yu children. Minjeong holds it together as best as she can and talks to her parents for a bit before retreating to the bathroom and running a hot shower.

 

Jaemin and Jimin sit side by side at the kitchen counter on stools as Minjeong’s parents had insisted they sit and chat while waiting for Minjeong. They sit in silence as Taeyeon boils them some tea and Kibum cuts up apples.

 

“You guys returned from the pool party pretty early.” Taeyeon remarks and Jimin looks at the clock to see that it’s nine pm.

“Yeah… Winter said she was tired so we decided to take her home.” Jaemin answers.

“Must be from all the socialising with people.” Taeyeon nods understandingly.

 

The kettle whistles and Taeyeon turns away.

 

“Karina darling, do you take sugar in your tea?” Taeyeon turns back around.

“No, ma’am.” Karina answers and Taeyeon chortles.

“So formal, relax a bit.” She says and Jimin blushes. “Just call me eomma.”
“And me appa!Kibum adds on.

“How about you, Jaemin?” She asks.

“Just a bit, thank you.” He answers.

“You kids are so polite.” Taeyeon smiles warmly and the twins smile awkwardly.

 

Taeyeon turns back around and while Kibum is busy with the apples, Jimin turns to Jaemin.

 

“What happened?” She mouths.

“Lucas.” He mouths back and Jimin clenches her jaw.


“Here ya go, kids.” Kibum beams as he puts the plate down.

“Thank you.” The twins say almost in unison.

 

Jimin munches on an apple piece in deep thought and Jaemin watches her.

 

“I got there in time.” He whispers very quietly and Jimin turns to him.

“...thank you.” Jimin says and Jaemin smiles tightly.

“You should go check on her.” He says and Jimin nods.

 

Jimin hops off the stool and taps her fingers against the counter as she clears . The Kims turn to look at her and suddenly she feels embarrassed for some reason, having the attention on her even if she grabbed it in the first place.

 

“May I be pardoned?” She addresses Minjeong’s parents. “I’d like to check on Minjeong.”

 

Taeyeon blinks and Kibum smiles.

 

“O-of course, dear.” Taeyeon answers and Jimin bows to them before walking upstairs.


 

She knocks gently on the door and stands outside patiently.

 

“It’s Jimin.” She says.

“Come in.” The answer comes shortly after.

 

She twists the door knob and enters the room to find Minjeong sitting up against her headboard with the comforter up to her chest.

 

“Can I sit?” Jimin points to the vacant space beside Minjeong’s leg.

 

Minjeong nods and Jimin sits, almost placing a hand on Minjeong’s covered leg automatically but she catches herself in time and halts, opting to rest her hands in her lap.

 

“How… how are you feeling?” Jimin asks, suddenly losing her words.

“Better.” Minjeong whispers and Jimin nods.

“I’m glad Jaemin was there.” Jimin says.

“I wanted…” Minjeong trails off with her words.

“Wanted what?” Jimin urges her to continue.

Minjeong looks away. “I… I wanted you.”

“Oh.” Jimin blinks, feeling herself blush. “I’m sorry I couldn't get there quicker.” Jimin says softly and Minjeong shakes her head, slipping her hand into Jimin’s.

“I’m glad you got there at all.” Minjeong whispers gently.

 

Jimin smiles warmly.

 

“It’s getting late. I should go.” Jimin pulls her hand away. “If you need me, call me.”

 

Minjeong nods, not looking her in the eye and Jimin stands up and is abruptly stopped when Minjeong’s head snaps up to look her in the eye and she sees panic written all over Minjeong’s little face.

 

“Please don’t go - don’t go!” Minjeong heaves heavily as another lump forms in . She latches onto Jimin’s wrist and hand shakes when she grabs it as tight as she can as she tries to find some stability with herself. “Don’t go… don’t go….”

 

Minjeong shakes her head over and over and Jimin quickly returns, sitting back down on the bed in front of Minjeong.

 

“Hey, hey - it’s okay, I’m here.” Jimin brushes Minjeong’s hair out of the way and caresses her cheek softly. Minjeong leans into the touch and she begins to cry again.

“Don’t leave me alone, please…” Minjeong pleads with a small broken voice and Jimin doesn’t waste any time as she pulls Minjeong into her tight embrace.

“I won’t - I promise.” Jimin says hastily and Minjeong holds onto her tightly.

“Can you please stay over?” Minjeong asks softly into Jimin’s neck and Jimin’s nodding on autopilot.

“Yeah, of course.” Jimin answers quickly.

 

Minjeong shifts so she’s laying properly under her blanket and Jimin scoots in until she’s right beside Minjeong.

 

“Uh.. I don’t, uh - I don’t sleep with pants on, is that okay?” Jimin blushes.

“It’s okay.” Minjeong answers quietly and Jimin kicks off her jean shorts and they hit the floor soundly.

 

Minjeong turns around and moves back until she’s touching Jimin’s front. She reaches behind her and looks for Jimin’s hand which the other girl grants willingly. She searches for her other hand too and when she has them both, she wraps them around her waist— tucking them under her t-shirt.

 

“Minjeong, what-” Jimin’s eyes shoot wide open when she feels the warmth of skin.

“Hold me, please?” Minjeong says quietly and Jimin’s quick to do so.

“Okay.” Jimin agrees softly.

“Tighter.” Minjeong says and Jimin does so.

 

She pulls Minjeong flush against her until their legs tangle and Jimin’s breathing cool air against Minjeong’s nape. Her arms and hands are against the bare skin of Minjeong’s stomach and waist.

 

“Did he…” Jimin struggles to say. “Did he do anything to you?”
“No.” Minjeong answers quietly. “He just touched me.”

“Where?” Jimin asks and Minjeong shifts even closer but Jimin sees her hair ticking Minjeong’s nape.

“Where your hands are.” Minjeong says and Jimin clenches her jaw.

 

She wraps both arms around Minjeong tighter and tucks herself in the crook of Minjeong’s neck.

 

“I’ll keep you safe, Minjeong.” Jimin says, determined.

“Promise?” Minjeong asks weakly.

“I promise.” Jimin affirms.

 

Jaemin went upstairs to check on them and found them all cuddled up. He smiles before going back downstairs to Minjeong’s parents.

 

“I think Karina’s staying over.” He says and Taeyeon looks surprised. “I’ll go home now.”

“I’ll drive you.” Kibum says.

“It’s alright, sir.” Jaemin smiles. “I drove here.”
“Okay then.” Kibum nods.

“Get home safe.” Taeyeon advises Jaemin.
“I will.” He grins before leaving.


 

Minjeong falls asleep fairly quickly with the body warmth of Jimin, but the taller girl struggles to keep her eyes closed as her heart continues to jump at her chest throughout the night. Minjeong shifts while she’s sleeping and she ends up laying on her side against Jimin’s chest with one hand draped over Jimin’s waist. Jimin moves until she’s on her back with both arms still around Minjeong to allow the smaller girl to sleep more comfortably, even if it means sacrificing her own comfort.

 

When they wake up the next morning, Jimin’s just fallen into a proper sleep when she feels a cold breath against her nose and a weight on her stomach. She opens one eye and finds Minjeong sitting on her lap. She’s straddling Jimin with a bright smile and childlike rounded eyes.

 

Jimin’s eyes shoot open as she sits up abruptly— almost sending Minjeong flying back as their foreheads knock against each other lightly.

 

“Good morning.” Minjeong chuckles as she grabs onto Jimin’s shoulders— resting both arms on either side to stabilise the both of them. Jimin’s hands naturally rest at Minjeong’s hips to hold her in place.

“M-morning.” Jimin blinks. “Did you wake up before me?”

“Yeah, I brushed my teeth and was going to wake you but I noticed you didn’t sleep at all last night, so I thought I should let you sleep in.” Minjeong says softly.

“How’d you know?” Jimin blushes, feeling embarrassed.

“I woke up a couple times during the night to check up on you and your eyes were twitching.” Minjeong chuckles.

“Oh.” Jimin smiles sheepishly.

“You’re cute.” Minjeong chuckles.

 

Jimin’s hands burn where they are at Minjeong’s hips but she can’t seem to pull away when Minjeong’s arms are wrapped around her shoulders so comfortably. Jimin becomes hyper aware that Minjeong is still sitting on her. And she just also notices that the blanket is definitely not on her anymore and her eyes trail and see her shorts from the night before on the ground.

 

Jimin’s ears flare and they burn with heat when she looks down slowly and sees she has no pants on, and Minjeong’s just sitting on her so casually.

 

Min-Minjeong.” Jimin’s voice cracks.

“Hm?” The girl on top of her blinks.

“I’m - I’m not wearing pants.” Jimin looks away, unable to meet Minjeong’s eyes.

“Yeah I know. You kicked them off last night.” Minjeong answers nonchalantly and Jimin’s blush intensifies.

“Yeah and I’m not wearing them… right now.” She clears .

 

Minjeong looks down slowly and sees that she is just so casually straddling Jimin’s bare legs and she’s only in her underwear. Minjeong’s eyes widen and her cheeks flush red as she quickly scrambles off.

 

“Oh my - oh my god!” Minjeong squeals in embarrassment. “I’m so sorry - I totally forgot and didn’t realise! I was just so happy when I woke up next to you and I was really excited to wake you up and-”

“Minjeong-ah, it’s okay - it’s okay!” Jimin stands up and grabs the smaller girl’s shoulders to hold her in place.

“Is it okay?” Minjeong pouts and Jimin smiles.

“If it’s you, then it’s okay.” Jimin blushes. “It just uh - it flustered me.”

 

Minjeong slowly smirks when she remembers what Jimin said to her on the first day back here.

 

“So, what I’m hearing is that I make your heart flutter?” Minjeong responds with an annoying smirk.

“Oh - you are so not using my own words against me!” Jimin gasps as she picks Minjeong up easily below the waist and holds her up.

“Woah - Jimin!” Minjeong giggles as she tries to hold onto Jimin’s shoulders.

 

Jimin spins them around and Minjeong’s childlike laughter fills the room just before Jimin throws Minjeong on the bed gently and crawls on top of her.

 

“Don’t breathe on me - you have morning breath!” Minjeong tries to wriggle away but Jimin sits on her lap and tickles her sides. “Hey - hey!”

“So annoying, using my own words against me.” She tsks as Minjeong rolls around beneath her in laughter.

 

Jimin ends up laughing too as she places two hands beside Minjeong’s head— leaning down closer than before.

 

Minjeong continues to laugh and Jimin peers down at her fondly. She gazes over each one of Minjeong’s features; her long eyelashes, her sharp nose, her crinkled eyes when she laughs, her smile that lights up any sky— brighter than the sun, her soft cheeks coloured by pink blush, and her so very enticing lips.

 

Minjeong registers Jimin’s staring and feels hot and bothered when she finds Jimin’s eyes still shamelessly looking down at her.

 

“This is quite a compromising position.” Jimin manages to rasp out and Minjeong blinks, looking away. “And your door’s open. Someone’s going to walk past.”
“How about you get off of me?” Minjeong asks quietly.

“I’m thinking about it.” Jimin says quietly— eyes still trained on Minjeong.

 

Minjeong looks up daringly and meets Jimin’s own hazy eyes— not breaking eye contact. When Minjeong’s heart begins to race and her eyes subtly flit down to Jimin’s red parted lips— she decides to break the tension.

 

“... you’re still not wearing pants.” That gets Jimin off of her quickly and Minjeong catches a glimpse of Jimin’s red ears and she laughs.

“I- I’m going to shower.” Jimin rushes away quickly and retreats into the bathroom.

“Don’t take too long!” Minjeong calls out with a fond chuckle.

 

Minjeong trots downstairs with a smile still on her lips as she whizzes past her family in the kitchen. She kisses her grandparents cheeks, her father’s cheek— who is busy frying up bacon, and then her mother’s who is on her phone.

 

“Good Morning, Minjeongie.” Her grandma smiles.

“Mornin’.” Her grandpa says.

“Morning, darling.” Her father smiles warmly.

“Good morning?” Taeyeon chuckles.

“Yes, good morning.” Minjeong grins as she takes a seat at the dinner table. She looks around and doesn’t find her sister. She looks at the grandfather clock in their living room and sees that it’s only nine am. “Where’s Chaewon-unnie?” She asks.

“She went out early with her friend - what was it…Yu…Yoon.. Ah! Yunjin!” Her mother replies and Minjeong nods.

“Super early.” Minjeong comments.

“I said that too.” Kibum says. “I’ve never seen her leave the house so quickly.”

“Hm…” Minjeong thinks with a knowing smile.

 

“Where’s Karina?” Her mom asks as she gets up and goes to the fridge.

“Oh - she’s in my bathroom.” She answers.

“Karina?” Her grandma questions.

“That uh… the Yu girl!” Her grandpa answers.

“Ah~.” Her grandma nods and Winter chuckles.

“What’s she doing in our house and not the Yu’s house?” Her grandma jokes.

“I asked her to stay over after the party ‘cause I wanted company.” She tells them and they don’t ask further, thankfully.

 

She gets out two glasses and puts them on the counter. She pulls out the jug of tomato juice and the pineapple juice bottle from her fridge and she pours out both of them into the cups before putting them away and Jimin comes down stairs.

 

Minjeong smiles and Jimin goes to greet her grandparents and then her parents.

 

“Good morning, Harabeoji, Halmeoni.” She bows deeply and turns to her parents.

“Morning, Mr and Mrs Kim.” She bows deeply again and Minjeong pretends she doesn’t swoon at Jimin’s politeness.

“Morning, dear - and please just call us eomma or appa.” Taeyeon tells her.

“Y-yes.” She nods and Minjeong pulls her down to the seat beside her and then she’s facing Minjeong’s grandmother.

 

She smiles shyly.

 

“Ka-Karina? Is that right?” Minjeong’s grandmother asks.

“Yes, that’s right - but uh, you can call me Jimin.” Jimin says bashfully. “If it’s easier.”

“Jimin - oh, what a beautiful name!” Her grandmother coos and Jimin blushes.

“Thank you.” She accepts quietly.

“Are you old Yu’s granddaughter?” Minjeong’s grandpa asks.

“Y-yes.” She straightens up for some reason.

“You don’t look like him at all.” He chuckles heartily. “I’d be concerned if you did, honestly.”

“You’re so beautiful, Jimin-ah - just like those idols these days!” Minjeong’s grandma compliments further and Jimin shrinks into her seat with a bright blush that makes Minjeong laugh.

“Right, Halmeoni?” Minjeong beams overly sweetly as she latches onto Jimin’s arm and pulls her close. “She’s just so pretty?”
“She is very.” Her grandmother agrees.

Minjeong.” Jimin warns with her teeth clenched— still smiling.

“What?” She blinks innocently and Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

Minjeong looks over at Jimin and finds her wearing clothes from her own wardrobe.

 

“You’re wearing my clothes?” Minjeong asks and Jimin turns to her.

“Yeah - sorry, I didn’t ask.” Jimin answers and Minjeong shakes her head with a smile.

“No need. You look good in my clothes.” Minjeong grins and Jimin smiles.

 

“Breakfast is ready!” Kibum comes around with arms with plates piled on him and Jimin gets up immediately to help it. “Thank you, dear.”

 

Taeyeon has plates and cutlery in her hands and Jimin wordlessly takes them off her and sets the table up. She puts a plate down in front of all six chairs with everyone and places the cutlery beside the plates.

 

Minjeong watches, impressed.

 

‘Thank you, honey.” Taeyeon says as she sits down.

 

Minjeong hands over the glass of pineapple juice and Jimin grabs a hold of it.

 

“Thanks, Min.” Jimin says before taking a long gulp from it and Taeyeon watches them interact curiously.

 

Everyone begins to dig in and Jimin fills Minjeong’s plate automatically, giving her more bacon than egg and two slices of toast— just how she likes it. Taeyeon watches her do so from the corner of her eye and silently makes a thought in her head.

 

Jimin finally gets to eat and she eats with her left hand when Minjeong suddenly grabs her hand under the table. Jimin swallows thickly and tries not to choke when a piece of the toast passes through unnoticed by her. Minjeong links their hands together as she sits in her seat, bouncing every now and then with a megawatt smile.

 

“Minjeong, darling, you never told us you were close with Karina.” Taeyeon comments once she finishes eating and Jimin blinks as she brings her juice to her lips.

“Oh - well, it never came up.” Minjeong answers nervously.

“I think it’s splendid that you know one of the other Yu’s.” Her grandfather chuckles. “Getting close to the in-laws, if you know what I mean?”

 

Jimin sputters and her juice almost goes down the wrong pipe as she accidently spits some of it back into the cup. She puts the cup down hurriedly and looks for a tissue, but Minjeong is quicker as she wipes the juice with the back of her hand for her nonchalantly.

 

Taeyeon and Kibum watch them slightly intrigued.

 

“You okay?” Minjeong asks her with a small laugh.

“Yeah - I’m good.” She shakes her head as she curses herself for embarrassing herself like that in front of Minjeong’s family.

"Grandpa, you can't say things like that.” Minjeong scolds him playfully with a cute pout. “I don’t like Jaemin like that, remember?”

“But you wanted to marry him when you were younger?” Her grandfather says in a cute tone and Mineong huffs with a cute frown but then she lights up when she remembers something.

“I actually wanted to marry Jimin!” Minjeong says and this time it actually catches Jimin off guard as she begins to cough. “Dad told me!”

 

Jimin has her head down in her elbow as she hacks up the pineapple juice. Minjeong has one hand on Jimin’s back, rubbing soothingly as she smiles innocently as if whatever she just said wasn’t slightly outrageous.

 

“Ah~ I remember now! It was Jiminie!” Her grandma chimes in and Jimin finally brings herself together.

Minjeong turns to her and nudges her. “Do you remember?”

“N-no.” She lies, unable to look anyone in the eye except for Minjeong.

“Liar.” Minjeong pouts. “You even wrote me a letter.”

“Oh my god…” Jimin cries silently.

“See, you do remember!” Minjeong beams and Jimin nods weakly.

“Lay off of Jimin.” Kibum chuckles. “She’s about to lose her lungs and her heart.”

 

Karina sinks into her seat with full embarrassment and Minjeong just happily bounces in her seat.

 

The breakfast finishes up quickly and Jimin gets up to collect and wash the dishes but everyone’s disapproval is firm. Kibum has to physically push Jimin to the couch with Minjeong in tow so that he can do the dishes.

 

“They might set me up with you if you continue being like this.” Minjeong whispers as she leans over to Jimin on the couch.

“I’m always like this.” Jimin blushes.
“I know.” Minjeong grins.

 

Taeyeon comes over and Jimin turns and sees her as she unconsciously puts some space between her and Minjeong. Minjeong doesn’t seem to notice her awkwardness and moves closer with Jimin.

 

“Girls, how does going shopping for dresses sound?” Taeyeon asks and Minjeong whines.

“It sounds good.” Jimin nods with a cute smile— cutting off Minjeong’s whining.

“Okay. We’ll stop at your place to get your mom too, Jimin.” Taeyeon says and Jimin nods.

“Okay.”

 

Minjeong spends the next couple of minutes picking out an outfit from her own wardrobe for Jimin to wear, much to her dismay.

 

They pick up Yu In-na, and Jimin and Minjeong sit close in the backseat. Minjeong doesn’t let go of Jimin’s hand throughout the entire day, even if Jimin tries to pull away from slight embarrassment.

 

They reach the mall and Taeyeon and In-na waste no time as they pull their daughters right into a boutique.

 

“Can’t we get a drink or a snack first?” Minjeong whines and Jimin laughs.

“No time to lose!” Taeyeon smacks her behind and Minjeong yelps.

“Jimin, you have to try on dresses too.” In-na tells the other girl and Jimin’s smile drops.

“Please, mom no - I’ve been good!” Jimin cries out.

“No objections.” In-na tuts and Jimin shuts .

 

Jimin tries on a bunch of dresses first after losing rock-paper-scissors against Minjeong. Minjeong sits on the couch outside the dressing room as Taeyeon and In-na fuss over Jimin.

 

“In-na, don’t you think this dress matches Jimin’s skin tone?”

“I think these will look good with your hair length!”

“This dress is too long!”
“It’s too short!”

 

That’s just a few phrases she had heard that day. When she is finally free, she crashes down on the sofa and sends a teasing smile to Minjeong.

 

“Your turn.” She mouths.

 

This time, Taeyeon and In-na fuss over Minjeong even more— telling her that she looks exactly like a princess and needs the best dresses. Minjeong thinks the clerk might go insane soon.

 

Minjeong has a dress halfway on when she pulls back the curtain to show her face to address their parents.

“Hey, moms - how about you guys get something to eat and rest?” Minjeong suggests. “Jimin and I will keep trying on things.”

“How thoughtful, Minjeong-ah.” In-na grins. “We might just do that.”

“Okay then.” Taeyeon wants to ask questions but she doesn’t.

“Don't let Jimin run away, Minjeong!” In-na instructs her as they leave.

 

“Oh thank god.” Jimin sighs once they leave.

“Jimin? Can you help me zip this up?” Minjeong calls out and Jimin gets up from the sofa immediately.

 

Jimin enters Minjeong’s space, pulling open the curtain and pulling it back to cover Minjeong. She turns around and sees Minjeong’s milky white back first thing, and then she meets Minjeong’s eyes in the mirror. She blushes and looks elsewhere.

“Uh - hold the dress front.” Jimin clears and she pretends she doesn’t see how red Minjeong’s ears are.

“Okay.” Minjeong answers quietly.

 

Jimin stands behind Minjeong properly and Minjeong gasps slightly when she feels Jimin’s hand at the base of the zipper— touching her .

 

Jimin’s eyes flit to the mirror again and her eyes meet Minjeong’s. For some reason, Jimin doesn’t take her eyes off of Minjeong as she zips her up. It is slow and painful, and Minjeong becomes hyper aware of every place Jimin brushes up against on her back.

 

“Done.” Jimin doesn't step back and Minjeong’s breathing grows shallow.

“You’re beautiful.” Jimin says softly and Minjeong swallows.

‘Thanks, Jimin.” Minjeong smiles gently.

 

Jimin doesn't know what possesses her, but she’s stepping closer. She places her hands on Minjeong’s bare shoulders and rubs the soft exposed skin there. Minjeong looks over her shoulder and suddenly Jimin’s right up next to her, almost breathing into .

 

Minjeong’s nose bumps into Jimin’s and her eyes flutter as they look into Jimin’s dark ones. Minjeong leans in subtly and so does Jimin, but then they pull apart quickly.

 

“Is everything alright in there?” The clerk calls out and Jimin covers her face with her hands as Minjeong retreats into the corner of the changing room.

“Y-yeah - we’re fine!” Minjeong answers.

“Okay!” The clerk calls back out.

“I’m - um - I’m gonna go.” Jimin splutters.

“Okay - yeah.” Minjeong nods.

 

Jimin slips out quickly and takes a seat on the sofa and her leg begins to bounce up and down.

 

Minjeong inhales sharply and lets out a long shaky breath as she looks at herself in the mirror. Her cheeks are completely red and it has travelled down to her collar bones.

 

She takes off the dress quickly and puts her clothes back on. She exits the changing room with the dress in hand and hands it over to the clerk.

 

“How’d it go?” She asks and Minjeong beams.

‘I like this dress.” Minjeong says and Minjeong can see some sort of relief on the clerk's face since their moms aren’t here.
“Great, I’ll put it on hold for you.” She says before going to the counter.

 

Minjeong opts to follow her when she spots something out of the corner of the other eye on a mannequin and turns around to see it.

 

It’s a perfectly tailored suit for a woman.

 

An idea plants itself in Minjeong’s mind as she grins like a mastermind.

 

“Excuse me? Is that suit available for trying on?” Minjeong calls the clerk.

“Yes it is!” She beams. “It’s one of a kind. Would you like to try it on?”
“Oh no, but I’d like for her to try it on.” Minjeong points to Jimin and the clerk nods.

“I think it’ll be a perfect fit.” She says.

 

Minjeong walks over to Jimin and pokes her.

 

“Can you try something on for me?” Minjeong asks.

“Is it a dress?” Jimin asks and Minjeong shakes her head.

“It’s better.” Minjeong grins.

 

Minjeong pulls Jimin into the dressing room the clerk prepared for them and Jimin sees the suit hanging beside the wall.

 

“Minjeong.” Jimin almost laughs.

“What?” She whines. “Please just try it on and make me happy?”

“Okay, okay.” Jimin chuckles as she takes off her pants.

 

Minjeong stands patiently against the wall as she watches Jimin change.

 

Something like this is so simple and mundane, Minjeong feels like this is what the future of a life together with someone would be like. Somewhere deep down and quietly under it all, Minjeong voices her thoughts and sees Jimin beside her in the future.

 

Jimin slips on the trousers and buckles the belt. She moves onto the dress shirt and she fumbles with a couple of the buttons before Minjeong pushes herself off the wall and turns Jimin over.

 

She silently buttons the shirt for Jimin and even tucks the shirt into Jimin’s pants— not caring if the girl swats her hand away from getting into her pants.

 

“Was this your ploy to try to get into my pants?” Jimin snorts and Minjeong backhands her stomach.

“Quit it.” Minjeong tuts at her and Jimin grins.

 

Minjeong takes the waist coat from the hanger and puts Jimin into it— doing the buttons up as well. She takes the bow tie off the hanger and puts it around Jimin’s neck. She makes Jimin bend down slightly as she begins to tie it.

 

“How do you know how to tie a bow tie?” Jimin asks her, looking down at Minjeong’s concentrated face.

“I used to do it for my dad when he went to work. I still do it sometimes when I can.” Minjeong tells her and Jimin smiles at her fondly.

“It’s cute that you're a daddy’s girl.” Jimin chuckles.

“Always have been.” Minjeong smiles before patting down the tie and reaching for the jacket on the hanger.

 

She swings the jacket over Jimin’s shoulder and helps her get her arms into the sleeves and then pats it down and straightens the sleeves and shoulders.

 

She turns Jimin back to the mirror and grins when she sees her masterpiece.

 

“Look at my beautiful girl!” Minjeong grins and Jimin chuckles.

“I do look cool.” Jimin admits.

“You have to wear this to the debutante.” Minjeong says and Jimin laughs.

“I wish but I can’t.” Jimin says. “I’m expected to go in a pretty dress on Choi Yeonjun’s arm.”

“Choi Yeonjun? Seriously?” Minjeong groans.

“It’s what my parents want.” Jimin shrugs.

 

Minjeong goes up against Jimin’s back and wraps her arms around Jimin’s waist as she hugs the girl— resting her chin on Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin places her hands right on top of Minjeong’s hands and holds them there in place.

 

“What about what you want?” Minjeong asks quietly, looking up into Jimin’s eyes. Jimin has her head turned to look at Minjeong.

“What about you?” Jimin asks.

“I asked first.” Minjeong pouts slightly and Jimin smiles.

“I’d want you on my arm.” Jimin says, nudging Minjeong’s nose with her nose.

 

Jimin throws caution to the wind, only thinking about Minjeong at this moment and what it could mean.

 

“Me too.” Minjeong admits quietly.

 

Jimin leans down until her lip brushes against Minjeong’s.

 

“I think I want to kiss you.” Jimin says.

“I’m not stopping you.” Minjeong says quietly.

 

Jimin leans in and Minjeong’s eyes flutter close but Jimin’s lips never meet hers and she opens her eyes to see Jimin smiling at her.

 

“We can’t.” She says and then Minjeong hears the chatter of In-na and Taeyeon incoming.

“Next time I will.” Minjeong says boldly.

“Sure.” Jimin chuckles as Minjeong exits.

 

She leaves the dressing room and sees their moms just entering with drinks in hand.

 

“Hey mom.” Minjeong smiles.

“Hey darling, how’d it go with the dresses?” She asks.

“Good. I chose one.” Minjeong points to the dress at the counter.

“Oh, it’s perfect.” Taeyeon smiles softly. “I can’t wait to see you in this.”

“You'll be so beautiful with Jaemin - I can just imagine it!” In-na gushes and Minjeong chuckles nervously.

“Right…”

 

Jimin exits and sees everyone back already.

 

“How about you, Karina?” Taeyeon asks her.

“I’ll just wear whatever my mom picks.” She shrugs nonchalantly.

“Right, I’ve got the perfect dress for you to match Yeonjun.” In-na says offhandedly and Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

So then that was step two of preparing for the debutanté. First was meeting everyone again, and then it was dress picking. Now, they had to rehearse, which meant practising the waltz and etiquette— Minjeong’s worst nightmare.

 

It’s a couple days later when all the debutants are in the hall that the ball will be held within the next week.

 

Minjeong’s eyes look around and she doesn’t find Jaemin or much of the boys for that matter. Jimin comes up from behind her and Minjeong flinches as she turns around.

 

“Hey.” She breathes out.

“Hi.” Jimin smiles.

“Where’s Jaemin?” Jimin asks.

“I was going to ask you.” Minjeong sighs. “Where’s Yeonjun?”
“The boys rarely take these things seriously as we do.” Jimin rolls her eyes. “They’re probably partying somewhere.”

“Of course.” Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“I’ll be your for today.” The corner of Jimin’s lips curl into a cheshire like smile.

“Are you allowed?” Minjeong asks.

“Of course.” Jimin says as she flags down the dance teacher. “Teacher Sunmi! We can partner up, right?”

“Sure!” Sunmi smiles at them.

“See.” Jimin says as she turns back to Minjeong with her hand outstretched.

“Okay.” Minjeong chuckles before dropping her hand into Jimin’s.

 

“Okay class, pay attention!” Sunmi claps twice and everything goes quiet.

 

The dance isn’t relatively hard, although once they get to the part where they have to switch partners and move along the line— it gets tricky. People bump into each other, step on feet and even spin in the opposite directions.

 

Jimin and Minjeong snicker amongst themselves when they see Sunmi’s fuse begin to shorten.

 

“You’re pretty good at this.” Minjeong comments as Jimin holds her hand and the other hand holds her waist.

“Why thank you.” Jimin winks at her. “I used to waltz with my dad in the living room when I was little.”

“That is adorable - there must be a picture, right?” Minjeong lights up and Jimin rolls her eyes affectionately.

“Somewhere there.” She answers vaguely.

“And now we twirl.” Jimin says right before she twirls Minjeong, who eventually trips on Jimin’s foot and loses footing.

 

She expects to fall back, but Jimin grabs her with her quick reflexes and pulls Minjeong flush against her body with her arms.

 

“Careful there.” Jimin breathes out and Minjeong notices that their noses are almost touching.

“Thanks.” Minjeong sighs before fixing herself up.

 

Practice finishes up after Sunmi finally explodes and tells everyone to call it a day. Minjeong plans on going home when Jimin catches her by the hand and turns her back around.

 

“Wanna hang at the beach?” Jimin asks and Minjeong weighs the pros and cons.

“I don’t see why not.” Minjeong smiles softly. There are more pros and cons at the moment.


 

Minjeong and Jimin spend the rest of the day leisurely, basking in the sun and heading to the shops near the beach to stop for ice cream. Minjeong eats a cone and Jimin protests that she should get a cup instead because Jimin insists she knows Minjeong will spill it and get it everywhere. She’s right when she spends the next few minutes wiping the ice cream from Minjeong’s hands and face.

 

“You’re a child.” Jimin deadpans and Minjeong beams as she kicks her feet up and down at the bench they’ve settled on.

“You’ll take care of me, right?” Minjeong bats her eyelashes and Jimin sighs deeply.

“I don’t think I have a choice.” Jimin shakes her head fondly as she discards the ice creams and tissues.

“Let’s walk down the beach now!” Minjeong grabs onto Jimin’s hand this time and the taller girl doesn’t let go.


 

Jimin watches fondly from behind as Minjeong runs around and frolics in the sand. When someone’s dog runs past, Minjeong runs with it and plays with it. Jimin records it on her phone and tucks it away, afraid Minjeong will discover her and tell her to delete it.

 

Minjeong returns to her side after losing breath as they sit side by side on the sand— watching the shore lull in and out as the sun begins to go down. The sky turns into a bright blue and orange hue as Minjeong takes a picture of it. She takes a picture of Jimin next.

 

“Let me see.” Jimin says, gesturing for the phone.

“No.” Minjeong teases.

“Minjeong.” Jimin says.

“Jimin.” Minjeong copies.

“Let me see it!” Jimin grabs her until they’re rolling in the sand.

“Don’t delete it! It’s pretty!” Minjeong whines as Jimin finally grabs the phone.

 

It’s a picture of Jimin looking at the sunset and it is so taken by Minjrong— the terrible angle, but she manages to capture the sunset colours as well as Jimin’s side profile.

 

“It’s unfair to take just one of me.” Jimin chuckles.

“Then let’s take one together.” Minjeong scoots close to her and throws an arm over Minjeong’s shoulder.

 

Minjeong grins and Jimin becomes enraptured. Minjeong’s smile holds the light of a thousand suns and Jimin might be blinded but she can’t look away. To the scrunch at her nose, the little wrinkles by her eyes as she loses herself in her smile and her sun-kissed cheeks.

 

Jimin believes she’s found a real life reincarnation of aphrodite.

 

Jiin doesn’t register Minjeong’s taken the picture until after she hears the camera noise. She blinks and then she finds Minjeong grinning down at her phone.

 

“Am I so beautiful you can’t take your eyes off of me?” Minjeong snorts and Jimin smiles softly.

“Yes.” Jimin agrees quietly and Minjeong blinks— taken off guard by Jimin again.

“Y-you can’t just agree so easily!” Minjeong whines.

“Why should I not agree? It’s true.” She shrugs and Minjeong shoves her shoulder.

“It flusters me!” Minjeong groans.

“No, it flutters your heart.” She corrects and Minjeong grumbles.

“I’ll make your heart flutter.” Minjeong says, turning to Jimin.

 

Minjeong pushes Jimin down onto the sand and Jimin peers up at Minjeong who has both hands beside her head.

 

Jimin looks into Minjeong’s eyes— her eyes expand all over Minjeongs face from her features to her expressions and in a split moment— in the sleight of hand, Jimin sees something tangible and it tickles her stomach wrong and makes close up.

 

She remembers that night they were fifteen and she took it all from Minjeong.

 

Jimin moves and softly pushes Minjeong off of her.


“We… we can’t.” She doesn’t offer an explanation. She only gets off and dusts the sand from her clothes.

 

She can’t look at Minjeong at all. She feels her heart beating against her ribcage and a quiet ringing begins to form in her ear.

 

“Jimin.” Minjeong calls out to her as she stands up.

“We - uh, we should get back. It’s getting late.” She shakes her head.

“Yu Jimin.” Minjeong tries again.

 

Jimin looks at her and she can’t gauge what reaction is painted on Minjeong’s face. It seems passive but there’s a wrinkle between her eyebrows and her jaw is set— she must be upset.

 

“Let’s go.” Jimin offers quietly as she turns around and begins to walk.

 

“Why’d you leave me that night?” Minjeong asks bluntly and Jimin halts her steps. She inhales sharply before turning back around to Minjeong.

“Minjeong… can we not?” Jimin sighs.

“No - we should because it’s been almost two years and I’ve been dying to know, Jimin.” Minjeong huffs feeling irritation rise in her.

“I just…” Jimin her dry lips and she can’t seem to think of what to say.

“Can’t you just tell me? Have we been around each other this long for nothing?” Minjeong is desperate.

“No, it’s not like that.” Jimin sighs.

“Then what’s it like? Why can’t you kiss me?” Minjeong speaks softly like it hurts to get her words across to Jimin. “What did I do wrong that night?”

 

Jimin looks down at her feet and Minjeong frowns.

 

“Please just tell me what I did wrong.” Minjeong says quietly— inhibitions down. “Just tell me what happened?”

“It was hard, okay!” Jimin bursts. “It was hard to wake up hours after and see you beside me all undone!”

 

Minjeong blinks, trying to wrap her mind around seeing Jimin so unkempt.

 

“I just… I felt like I did something horrible - like a crime.” Jimin says quietly. “I woke up only a few hours after and I sat up and just.. I saw you. You were so small and you were so deep in your sleep, I began to panic and I felt something heavy grow in my chest.”

 

Jimin remembers it clearly as day and it haunts her every night.

 

That night, after everything transpired. Jimin woke up with her body aching and yearning for something warm. Minjeong was beside her, warmly waiting for her but she couldn’t. Her body grew rigid as she watched over Minjeong. Sweet little Minjeong who she ruined. She didn’t reach out to Minjeong at all even if her skin began to buzz with panic.

 

grew thick and her breathing grew shallow.

 

She was Minjeong’s first kiss and first everything— it shouldn't have gone like this. She could’ve done better— Jimin knows she owes at least that to Minjeong, but now it’s over and she’s ruined it all.


 

Minjeong watches her with her eyes round and curious.

 

“I’ve always been the rebel child, y’know? The boyish twin who gets into far more trouble than her brother, and you were perfect little Minjeong - girl next door kind of thing.” Jimin says disheartedly. “... you were always meant to be with Jaemin and I just took that away from him.”

“I don’t like Jaemin.” Minjeong’s voice is clear. “I’ve never liked Jaemin.”

“But middle school-”

“Peer pressure doesn’t count.” Minjeong dismisses.

“It shouldn't matter at all - whatever this is.” Jimin shakes her head. “Jaemin’s your tomorrow, let’s leave it at that.”

“I don’t want to.” Minjeong is stubborn. “Last summer I looked for you every day and you weren’t there, but you’re here now.”

“Minjeong…” Jimin sighs.

“I like you Jimin.” Minjeong breathes out. “I like you so much that I look for you in every room even if I know you’re not there. I like you so much that I can’t ever think clearly and I just want you to touch me again and make me feel like a god.”

 

Jimin stands still, feeling her breath get taken away once again. There are no words, nothing she can think of right now except to kiss Minjeong, and so she does.

 

Jimin takes a stride forward and grabs Minjeong tightly by the hips and pulls her flush against her. She leans down and kisses Minjeong hard like she hasn’t ever kissed Minjeong before. The kiss is met with the warmth of their bodies and the sound of the sea crashing against the shore fills the quiet.

 

They break apart and Minjeong is completely dazed and Jimin catches her breath.

 

“You have no idea what you do to me, Minjeong.” Jimin rasps and Minjeong’s cheeks flare red.


 

Jimin takes Minjeong home and it is completely silent. Minjeong’s cheeks are still kissed red and Jimin can’t stop smiling.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Jimin says quietly as they stop at the doorstep of Minjeong’s house.

“Okay.” Minjeong nods shyly. “Promise you’ll be there?”

“I’ll try.” Jimin says dryly and Minjeong nudges her.

“Jimin.” She warns.

“Yes, I promise.” Jimin relents.

“Okay good.” Minjeong smiles again.

“Goodnight, Minjeong.” Jimin says, kissing Minjeong’s cheek softly.

“Get home safe.” Minjeong advises her and she nods.

“I will.” She says.


 

Minjeong goes to bed that night on cloud nine and for the first time in her life, she’s looking forward to the debutanté.



 



 

“Rise and shine!” Chaewon bursts into her room at the crack of dawn and Minjeong flies off her bed.

“What the hell, unnie?!” Minjeong whines.

“It’s your debutanté, get your up!” Chaewon whoops obnoxiously.

“It’s too early for this!” Minjeong wails.

“That’s too damn bad! You gotta get breakfast in ‘cause I doubt you’ll be able to eat later.” Chaewon tells her.

“Okay… give me a sec.” Minjeong rolls over in her bed.

 

The day becomes a long montage and Minjeong already feels like passing out. Chaewon walks her though most of it because she’s been through it already, but somehow Minjeong thinks Chaewon is making it harder for her just for kicks.

 

Minjeong gets into her dress as she sits still for Yunjin to apply make-up on her. Chaewon had attempted to do Minjeong’s make-up, but then just ended up calling over Yunjin who came over in no time in a nice black dress.

 

Minjeong feels more comfortable as Yunjin works at her make-up meticulously and Chaewon watches in awe.

 

When the make-up is done, Chaewon does her hair— letting it fall in soft curls as she parts away her bangs and pins them hidden in plain sight, and adds a subtle white and silver flower crown in Minjeong’s hair.

 

“You look amazing!” Yunjin grins.

“I bet you’ll steal the spotlight tonight.” Chaewon holds her hand comfortingly and Minjeong smiles nervously.

“I’m kind of nervous.” Minjeong tells them.

“Don’t worry, we were all nervous for ours too.” Yunjin tells her kindly and Minjeong smiles.

“Just remember it’ll all be over soon.” Chaewon winks at her and she laughs.

 

When she descends down stairs, Kibum and Taeyeon are standing at the bottom. Their eyes widen and they gasp as Minjeong walks down with the help of Yunjin and Chaewon.

 

“Darling, you’re magnificent.” Kibum gasps.

“I’m going to cry.” Taeyeon’s bottom lip begins to quiver.

‘Mom - don’t cry.” Minjeong sighs.

“But you’re so beautiful - you’re shining!” Taeyeon gushes and Minjeong smiles.

“It does feel nice to be dolled up.” Minjeong admits.

 

The doorbell rings and everyone turns to it.

 

“It must be Jaemin.” Kibum says as he heads for the door. He opens it and Jaemin grins.

 

He steps into the house with a standard suit and a slightly off-white tie to match Minjeong’s dress.

 

“Hi, you look - wow.” Jaemin chuckles as he gestures to her with his hands.

“Thank you. You clean up well too.” Minjeong says and they both laugh.

“Let me take a picture!” Taeyeon waves them together as she holds a camera in hand.

 

Jaemin and Winter stand beside each other and Jaemin puts an arm over her shoulder and she puts one at his back.

 

While Taeyeon fiddles with the camera, Minjeong turns to Jaemin.

 

“Where’s Jimin?” She asks.

“She was putting make-up on the last time I saw her.” He tells her and Minjeong sighs in relief.

“She won’t run.” Jaemin tells her. “I know she won’t.”

“Thanks, Jae.” Minjeong smiles softly.

 

“Okay, ready?” Taeyeon turns to them and they look at the camera. “Say cheese!”



 

When they enter, the men enter from the bottom of the hall as they are meant to wait at the bottom of the stairs for their dates. Minjeong joins the girls at the top and sees a podium where the list of names that are meant to be read out are. She approaches it and sees Jaemin’s name and her name side by side. She sees Yeji and Heesung, and then she looks for Jimin’s name and doesn’t find it.

 

She frowns.

 

She looks for Yeonjun’s name and she finds some other girl’s name beside his.

 

She turns around to look for someone to ask, but then the lights abruptly begin to dim and a classical intro begins to play.

 

She gets into the file in the order they are meant to and stands still— feeling her heart jump at her chest.

 

“Welcome to the annual debutanté ball!” the announcer's voice booms.

 

Minjeong looks around and tries to make out the figures in the dark, but she can’t see at all and she grows more nervous.

 

The ceremony continues on without a hitch and Minjeong feels unease in her stomach as the line begins to move.


 

“Hwang Yeji, escorted by Lee Heesung.” Heesung meets her halfway as Yeji descends from the steps. They both look as uninterested as each other and it manages to make Minjeong stifle her laughter.

 

A few names are called after and then it is hers.

 

“Kim Minjeong, escorted by Yu Jaemin.” Minjeong grips onto the handrail as she tries to gracefully glide down it as Jaemin holds out a hand for her in the middle.

 

She manages to get down and grabs onto Jaemin’s hand tightly.

 

They fall into the formation of a line with partners facing each other.

 

They wait for everyone to come down from A to Z before the music changes from the intro to a longer classical piece.

 

Minjeong turns to Jaemin.

 

“Are you sure she was coming?” Minjeong asks just as the dance begins and she sees no sign of Jimin. Her hand is hovering beside Jaemin’s as they begin their waltzing routine.

“I’m sure.” Jaemin says, looking around too. “She said she was and I remember her getting ready.”

“Right…” Minjeong sighs dejectedly and Jemin frowns slightly.
“I’m really sorry, Minjeong. I know how much the ball ended up meaning for you with Jimin here now.” Jaemin says softly and Minjeong shakes her head lightly.

“It’s okay.” She smiles gratefully.

 

They switch sides— Jaemin twirling Minjeong before they switch partners. Even at the hands of another person, Minjeong’s still looking elsewhere, feeling dread in her stomach when she still doesn’t see Jimin.

 

The introduction dance finishes and the lights dim as a slow song begins to reverberate throughout the hall.

 

She was meant to dance with Jimin for this— they practised together for so many nights and the taller girl isn’t here. Minjeong feels a nasty lump form in as for some reason, she wants to cry. She feels let down and she wants to go home. She never wanted to do this stupid debutante thing in the first place, but god— it was Jimin who convinced her. Minjeong spent nights dreaming of Jimin escorting her to the ball but now her dreams are shattered and only the reality remains.

 

Everyone’s attention is off their partners when the sound of the large wooden doors open. Minjeong’s head snaps towards the sound and she gasps.

 

Jimin’s here.

 

Jimin knows that there are eyes on her and she can’t bring herself to care. Her eyes are on Minjeong looking like a goddess in her dress and neat hair. She steps forward, the attendees part as she makes her way to Minjeong.

 

Minjeong turns back to Jaemin with agape and he smiles before bowing lightly and stepping back into the crowd of people.

 

Jimin meets her where she is and Minjeong’s skin buzzes where Jimin holds her hand and places the other hand at her waist— pulling her closer.

 

“Hi.” Jimin greets nervously.

“You’re… you’re here.” Minjeong gasps.

“I am.” Jimin swallows with a small smile.

 

The waltz begins to progress without an error but Minjeong feels like she might just step on Jimin's foot or bump into someone at the rate she’s going because she can’t take her eyes off of Jimin at all.

 

“You’re wearing the suit.” Minjeong points out and Jimin nods.

“I am.” She answers. “I thought it’d be better to come in this if I was going to come as your .”

“You didn’t go with Yeonjun?” Minjeong asks.

“No.” Jimin looks down with a small smile. “Last minute change.”

“Were you going to come as my or not at all?” Minjeong asks quietly.

“I… I wasn’t confident enough. I would’ve just it up and went in a dress with Choi Yeonjun, but I thought of you and…” Jimin trails off.

“And?” Minjeong blinks curiously.

“And I knew I couldn’t do that to you.” Jimin says gently. “I couldn’t build you all up just to break you back down.”

 

Minjeong’s heart flutters and her cheeks grow warm as she sees Jimin’s red ears poking out through her hair.

 

“I pushed you to Jaemin because I thought it would be okay. I believed that you’d be better off with him and not me.” Jimin confesses. “I’m.. I’m complicated y’know? And we’re both girls. I just thought you deserve something easy and secure.”

“But I don’t want it to be easy.” Minjeong frowns. “I just want you.”

“I - I know that now.” Jimin blushes looking away.

“Good.” Minjeong smiles with triumph. “I’ll kill you if you’re not with me.”

“Is that a threat?” Jimin chuckles nervously.

“Yes.” Minjeong beams and Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

Jimin twirls her and they move apart before coming back together again— closer than before.

 

“I want to be with you, Jimin.” Minjeong blurts out and Jimin’s eyes widen. “I want to love you against everything.”
“You’re - um-” Jimin blinks as she is winded by Minjeongs’ boldness. “You’re so… you take my breath away, Minjeong.”

“So you’ll let me then?” Minjeong smiles. “You’ll let me love you?”
“Haven’t you been doing that all this time?” Jimin smirks and Minjeong scowls. “Kidding - kidding!”

 

They swap sides again and the world grows quiet and blends into the background as Minjeong and Jimin remain in each other’s embrace.

 

“Only if you let me love you too.” Jimin says softly before the partners change and Minjeong’s smile brightens— not noticing who her partner is now.

 

“Hello again.” The voice runs Minjeong’s blood cold as she turns to her partner. She stiffens when a hand is on the small of her back and the other is gripping her hand tightly.

“I thought I'd continue here since we weren't done last time.” Lucas grins and Minjeong breathes hot hair through her nostrils.

 

She tries to pull away but he grips tighter and Minjeong grows angry.

 

“I’ll scream.” Minjeong says and he rolls his eyes.

“Try.” He says but he’s suddenly pushed back by a strong pair of arms.

 

He staggers back and the crowd begins to gasp and part— making a circle round them.

 

Minjeong looks and sees that it is Jimin with eyes full of anger.

 

“Not the other Yu this time.” Lucas rolls his eyes before he straightens up.

“Wanna know what this Yu can do?” Jimin smirks before swinging back her right arm and socking him right in the jaw.

 

He crashes to the ground and Minjeong’s eyes widen as she clasps her hands over .

 

“What is the meaning of this!” Yu In-na steps through the crowd and she assesses the situation. She sees Minjeong, and then Lucas on the ground— and then she sees her daughter with a red fist.

“We are leaving, Yu Jimin!” In-na grabs Jimin by the ear and begins to pull her outside.

“Ow - ow - mom wait-”

 

Jaemin and the rest of the Yu’s follow behind quickly and Minjeong’s eyes are filled with panic. She looks around and sees her sister approaching her.

 

“We should go home too.” Chaewon says and Minjeong sees Yunjin right beside her.

“I think that’s the best thing to do right now.” Minjeong nods before they scurry off too with their parents and grandparents.

 

Their grandparents drive in their own car, while Minjeong’s parents drive as Yunjin, Minjeong, and Chaewon settle in the back with Chaewon in the middle. The car ride back is completely silent and Minjeong can’t stop bouncing her leg up and down in the car. Chaewon has to physically hold down Minjeong’s leg as they reach their house.

 

Minjeong changes out of her dress and joins the rest of her family in the living room where they seem to be discussing the events.

 

“I’ve never seen a Yu so out of character.” Her grandpa blinks.

 

Minjeong’s leg begins to bounce up and down again as she anxiously chews on the dry skin around her thumb.

 

“Something must have happened for her to react like that.” Kibum says thoughtfully.

 

“Minjeong.” Chaewon calls her quietly and she looks up from where she’s sitting on the couch. Yunjin and Chaewon are sitting on the other couch together.

“What?” Minjeong blinks and Chaewon gestures to her leg with her eyes and Minjeong flushes. “Sorry. I can’t help it.”

 

“Must’ve been that Wong kid.” Her grandfather grumbles. “I think those Wong’s are trouble.”

“Dad, you can’t just say something like that based on what happened today.” Taeyeon says. “What if it was Karina?”
“Jimin’s not like that.” Minjeong cuts through the conversation and then everyone’s looking at her with surprise. She finds herself needing to repeat herself as if what she had said was too quiet. “J-Jimin’s not like that. She wouldn’t do something random like that.”

“Then what happened?” Her mom asks and Minjeong looks away.

“I… I don’t know.” She answers.

“Maybe we should go check on Karina.” Her grandma suggests.

“We shouldn’t bother them. In-na’s probably got it under control.” Taeyeon says dismissively but Minjeong stands up abruptly.

“Can we?” Minjeong swallows. “Um, I mean - can we go see them?”
“Okay, darling if you’re worried.” Kibum nods, already getting the keys from the dinner table.

 

Everyone clambers into the cars again and make their way to the Yu’s house. When they arrive there, the grandparents join together to talk and Taeyeon goes straight to In-na, just as Kibum goes to Ji-tae. Jaemin waves at her and she doesn’t notice as she makes a beeline towards Jimin who is sitting at the kitchen contour with a bag of peas on her hand— still in the suit but without the jacket and with her tie loosened.

 

“Yu Jimin!” Minjeong’s voice catches everyone by surprise and as well as Jimin who flinches.

“W-wait-” Jimin stutters when she sees that Minjeong is practically fuming.

Yah - are you stupid?!” Minjeong smacks the back of Jimin’s head.

“Ow!” Jimin whines. “Mom already hit me!”

“Well she didn’t hit you enough!” Minjeong grits her teeth. “How could you do something so reckless? What if he got up and hit you too?”
“Well he didn’t.” Jimin shrugs with a smile and then she regrets it when Minjeong pinches her arm.

Ow - okay, Minjeong I’m sorry!” Jimin gasps in pain.

“Don’t be a smartass.” Minjeong huffs.

“Look I’m fine, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin says softly as she shows Minjeong that she can still move her hand. “See?”

 

Minjeong huffs out a heavy breath before it hitches in and her shoulders begin to shake. She covers her face with her hands quickly as hot tears begin to flow.

 

“Hey, are you crying?” Jimin asks worriedly. “Minjeong-ah.”

 

Jimin pulls her in with her free hand and rubs gentle circles on Minjeong’s hip.

 

“Hey, hey - look at me?” Jimin coos softly and Minjeong brings her hands down— wiping at her face with her sleeves harshly. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s just - I’m so upset.” Minjeong hiccups.

“At what?” Jimin probes her.

“Just that Lucas - what he did - and today.” Minjeong sniffles and Jimin smiles softly. “I’m angry at myself for freezing up. I could’ve.. I could’ve prevented it.”

“No - Minjeong, you could not have prevented anything. It was the right reaction.” Jimin tells her firmly. “It was wrong what he did, and you did nothing wrong.”

 

Jimin wipes her tears away and caresses the soft skin of Minjeong’s cheek. Minjeong leans into it and closes her eyes lightly.

 

“You did nothing wrong, okay?” Jimin says and Minjeong nods.

“Can I hug you?” Minjeong asks quietly and Jimin breaks into a smile.
“You don’t have to ask.” Jimin says before slipping off the stool and wrapping her arms tightly around Minjeong.

 

Minjeong nestles into Jimin’s neck and sighs into her embrace.

 

“Did you girls fight, why are you hugging?” In-na jokes and Minjeong flinches as she pushes Jimin slightly away.

“Yeah, we just made up.” Jimin says with a smile.

 

Suddenly Minjeong becomes aware that both families have come into the kitchen with them.

 

“So, what happened with that boy?” Taeyeon asks Jimin.

“Well… he was an .” Jimin shrugs. “Pardon my language.”

“Oh well. Makes sense.” Taeyeon chuckles. “I didn’t expect you to punch him though.”

“I’ve been wanting to.” Jimin smiles and Minjeong elbows her and sends her a look.

“At least nothing happened to you.” Kibum says in relief and Jimin beams.

“And what’s happening to you now is that you’re grounded until breaks over.” In-na says sternly and then she mutters under her breath. “Never in my seventeen years of raising you have I taught you to do this…”

“I accept punishment.” Jimin sighs as she loosely still has her arm around Minjeong’s waist.

“I can still see her right?” Minjeong asks and In-na blinks at her. “e-eomoni?”

“Of course you can, darling!” In-na beams. “You can come over as much as you want and hang with Jaemin.”
“Mom, c’mon - I told you a bunch of times that me and Winter aren’t like that.” Jaemin sighs.

“But you could be.” In-na pouts.

 

Jimin and Minjeong share a look as if they hold an inside joke that no one knows about.

 

“I’m not sharing Minjeong.” Jimin decides to say impulsively and Minjeong’s eyes widen. “Especially with my brother.”

“What?” In-na blinks and Jimin pulls Minjeong closer ever so slightly.

“I said I’m not sharing Minjeong.” Jimin smirks. “She’s mine.”

 

Minjeong’s face flushes bright red as she tries to pull away from Jimin but she won’t let her.

 

“W-what! How long has this been going on!” In-na exclaims.

“For a bit.” - “Not long!” Jimin and Minjeong both speak at the same time.

“How can you say that?” Jimin pouts. “I’ve loved you three summers now.”

“You cannot be serious using a Taylor Swift lyric on me.” Minjeong scoffs although the blush still on her cheeks is contradictory to what she wants to feel.

“It made you swoon, didn’t it?” Jimin nudges her and Minjeong pinches her again.

“Shut up...” She grumbles.

 

“I knew something was up with you two.” Taeyeon has her hands on her hips as she huffs.

“Called it.” Kibum shrugs.

“Dad, you planned this all along!” Minjeong whines to him. “If you didn’t tell me I wanted to marry Jimin instead of Jaemin when I was four, I wouldn’t have spiralled!”

“Well it worked out didn’t it?” He shrugs innocently and Minjeong scowls cutely.

 

“Wow, this is unexpected.” In-na blinks. “B-but y’know what - I’m glad it’s you Minjeong and not anyone else.”

“Thanks, eomoni.” She chuckles.

“Thank god, a Kim and a Yu actually want to work out.” Her grandfather makes a comment and it has everyone bursting into laughter.

“You’re right about that.” Ji-tae guffaws.

 

Minjeong rests her head against Jimin’s shoulder as she looks at their families fondly. Her eyes land on Chaewon leaning her head against Yunjin’s shoulder and she straightens up abruptly.

 

“Okay - one more thing I need to add.” Minjeong begins. “Are you two together? I’ve been crazy curious.”

“We are.” Chaewon confirms without trouble.

“Knew it was strange for Chaewon to hang around one girl for too long.” Kibum says and Chaewon’s sputters as she is caught off guard. “W-what!”

 

Minjeong doubles over in laughter and Jimin looks at her fondly.