the ride up

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Februrary 17, 2023

After a long and tiring week at work, Hyejin and Byul decided to invite their bestfriends for dinner at their house. It's been several weeks since they last saw Wheein and Yongsun for Byul's birthday.

Byul: "Have you texted Whee?"

Hyejin: "yeah, she's stopping by the store to get some drinks. She should be here any minute now. And Yong?

Byul: "She's on her way. She got held up in the office. I guess she was pulled into a last minute meeting for that big project she's been working on." 

Hyejin: "She really needs to take time off to unwind. All she does is work!"

Byul: "I completely agree! I've been telling her that for years. Maybe tonight's the night we could finally convince her."

The couple started setting up the table. Hyejin ordered all their favorite dishes from their favorite restaurant: samgyupsal, kimchi jigae, gopchang, tteokbokki, jajangmyeon, tangsuyuk, and dakbokkeumtang.

Meanwhile...

Wheein: "Maybe I bought too many drinks."

Wheein's on her way to the elevator, definitely struggling to carry all the drinks she bought. She wanted to make sure she got something for everybody, it's just unfortunate that they all had different tastes in alcohol. She got Byul some makgeolli, yongsun those "god awful lemon gin things" as she calls them, Hyejin a bottle of whiskey because apparently her bestie is on her "whiskey phase," and a few bottles of soju for herself. She also got beers just in case.

Wheein's slowly making her way through the hallway when she heard hurried footsteps behind her.

Yongsun: "Wheein! Hold up, let me help you!"

Wheein: "Oh. Hi Yongsun. You don't have to, I can manage."

Wheein suddenly shifted making her lose balance...

Yongsun: "Clearly... Wheein, just give me at least one of the plastic bags."

Wheein eyes Yongsun and the bags she was holding, she did this two more times before she caved in.

Wheein: "Alright..." Wheein hands her a bag. "Thank you."

The two entered the elevator to make their way up to the 19th floor. Wheein and Yongsun were both looking up, watching the LED screen change as they go pass each floor. Neither of them were speaking and that's when they realized...

In all the time they have know each other, they have never actually been alone together when it's just the two of them. Byul and Hyejin were always with them.

Wheein's thoughts: "This is the longest elevator ride of my life. Why is she not talking? This is so awkward! Should I say something? Maybe ask her if she's seeing anyone? No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter