fin

The Interlude: One of These Anecdotes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's another night Wendy spends time drinking. After being bombarded with courses and assignments, the thing she needs the most is sitting down and drinking, especially when these wonderful alcoholic drinks are made by her lover. Irene already finished all the bartendering courses and has been a full-time bartender for a while. Seeing her lover enjoy what she has been doing, Wendy feels happy for her.

It's near eleven o'clock, and the customers are leaving. The bartenders say their goodbyes to them while smiling. Wendy still sits beside the bar counter, dawdling over another Martini cup of cocktail. She ordered some prosciutto with crusty bread earlier. After she finished them, she felt full. Thus, she only ordered some other cocktails while waiting for the three bartenders to go off duty. She sits opposite Irene, and the two elder bartenders are on her lover's right-hand side. 

Now, whenever the four of them are together, one of the night bartenders will make nearly two litres of Strawberry Sangria for all of them. After the bar is closed for night — just before the bartenders start cleaning the bar — they will drink together. The weather has been dull, and that was why they all felt they needed something to lighten their mood. Perhaps having cool drinks when the weather is cold sounds a bit strange, but they will do it anyway.

Even though the bar is closed around midnight, the bright yellow lights in the room are still on. The city passed into a deep slumber, but their private drinking party hasn't started yet. Wendy always loves the idea of having a drink with the three bartenders — no pressure, just four of them enjoy wonderful drinks together. She understands why some people prefer to have meals in some certain bars or restaurants — there is nothing better than talking to your lover or a group of close friends while soft music is being played in the background.

Wendy finishes the Clover Club while the three bartenders wipe down the tables. All bar backs already left, therefore, the bartenders have been in charge of everything starting from 10 p.m. When the three women go back to the bar counter, Wendy sees Irene take a pitcher with the Sangria from the freezer. 

Then, Taeyeon and Tiffany fish four Champagne glasses out of the freezer and put them on the countertop. The blonde hands the pitcher to them. Wendy watches the three of them working quietly. When the three bartenders concentrate on working, they look pretty cool. 

Taeyeon pours some liquid into two of the glasses and serves them to Wendy and Irene. There is a faint smile on her face when the couple thank her. Tiffany then serves her lover and herself some Sangria. 

When their glasses clink, the four of them shouts, "Cheers!"

They all take a sip at their drinks, feeling satisfied about the refreshing taste. The drink is in light pink, and the vivid color never failed to make Wendy happy. While feeling the aftertaste of the Sangria, Wendy thinks of a random question.

"Unnie, when did you and Taeyeon unnie start dating?"

She's just curious. Taeyeon and Tiffany's personalities feel so different, just like the two poles of a magnet. She knows that the two bartenders have been together for several years, but she never asked them about the exact time and she finally decided to do this.

"Then I'll ask Taeyeon unnie's opinion on this matter first." Tiffany smiles at Wendy, then she looks at Taeyeon, "Tae, can I say it?"

"Yes, sure." Taeyeon shrugs, but she then averts her eyes while taking a sip at the Sangria. Nothing serious, she's just a bit embarrassed because she confessed to Tiffany by accident. Like, she didn't expect she would confess under the circumstances. Thankfully, Irene put lots of ice cubes into the drink earlier, and it helps her relax.

At the same time, Wendy notices Irene is trying to hold back her laughter. A smile curves the blonde's lips, and she is shaking lightly. The brunette bites the edge of the cool glass. She's now more curious about what happened, and she's sure that the blonde already knew it.

"We were classmates when we were in the bartender school." Tiffany then turns her attention to Wendy while holding the wine glass, "And one of our assignments was making a new cocktail recipe before the mid-term break."

When she met Taeyeon, both of them were nineteen in Korean age.

"Oh, yes, unnie, I heard about it." Wendy says, "The content of the course you mentioned."

"Oh, it seems that Joohyun told you about it." Tiffany nods.

There was a room that simulated conditions in a real bar in their school to help students practice engaging with their customers in the future. The students had permission to enter this room anytime, and they were free to play customers and order some drinks from their fellow students. The students in the same class would visit this room together at the end of the first semester while wearing suits.

The students were required to make drinks in the classroom and give short presentations about their ideas for them. After everyone finished their presentation, there was still some time left, thus the students just had the freedom to look around the room or made some other drinks for themselves to enjoy.

However, her lover suddenly turned the course into a competition between themselves. Oh, and at that time, Taeyeon — the woman she loved and also hated the most — was still her rival rather than her lover.

When Tiffany was trying find a bottle of dry gin in front of the large cabinet, She saw Taeyeon approaching her while tapping the countertop. Some students were now seated at some tables chatting while others were asking the teacher about the content of some advanced bartending courses. 

"Hey, Tiffany, let's see who's the best." Taeyeon smirked while waved at her.

"Sure. And of course, it's me." Tiffany said with confidence.

The whole class was divided into two groups, and she and Taeyeon had been in the same group — they were assigned to the same group at the beginning of the semester. The students were encouraged to finish workshops and do drink tests, and they had ample opportunity to meet veteran bartenders and learned from them. The staff, their teachers and classmates were friendly and passionate. Thus, whenever Tiffany looks back on those days she spent with them, she is grateful that they made her youth colorful.

However, there was one person who chose to let the things be less smooth. Yes, that person was Taeyeon. Whenever they took classes, it seemed Taeyeon always had a way to annoy her — putting ice cubes into the thermos she used for keeping water hot, writing her own name on a stick note then stuck it to one of her tools, making loud noises to startle her, and there were still a lot of them to talk about. She sometimes just wondered if T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter