Just The Way You Are

Stray Kids One-Shots

Summary: When your mother accidentally takes the wrong gift in your place to your ex-best friend's 18th birthday party, you decide you must go and retrieve it before he can see it. Of course, due to your luck, or lack thereof, this doesn't go as planned…

Genre: fluff, funny, high school setting, awkward reader, best friends to lovers trope

Pairing: Bang Chan X GN! Reader

Word Count: 6K

A/N: Wrote this based on Chan's current


 

"Mission complete!" you whispered to yourself, triumphantly, as you lifted a little black wrapped gift box from a table full of birthday presents and examined it. 

Despite how small it was, the gift stood out amongst all the other brightly colored gifts that currently decorated the table thanks to you using black wrapping paper, Chan's favorite color, to decorate the little gift box. You had finished its wrappings with a shiny silver ribbon thus, giving it a nice sleek vibe. 

However, as you examined the little gift, a wave of melancholy suddenly washed over you at the thought that he would never actually get the chance to appreciate your handiwork or the gift inside because of the fact that you were about to quickly switch it out for another gift before jetting on home. 

You sighed, heavily, as you realized you really had no reason to be sad. After all, that was your entire purpose for coming to Chan's birthday party in the first place. Because even despite the fact that you had spent so much money on the present and had taken your time wrapping it to perfection, you had never actually intended to give it to him. Well, you had at first, but had changed your mind at the very last minute.  

Unfortunately, your mother hadn’t known this and therefore, ended up taking the wrong gift in your place to Chan's birthday party.

 See, you and Chan hadn’t spoken much over the last month ever since you had found out that he had been secretly dating someone who had been a childhood bully of yours even despite the fact you both had been best buds since your diaper days and therefore, he should've been able to trust you enough to tell you the truth.

The only way you had even found out the truth was after your old bully had stalked right up to Chan one day while you and him were mid-conversation and they locked lips with him right in front of you leaving you feeling very much like a clueless little child. You both had fallen out ever since. 

He'd tried apologizing to you which you did come to accept, but ultimately, it still changed your friendship because from then on, things had gotten increasingly awkward between you both especially as he drifted further and further into the popular crowd his partner rolled with while you, on the other hand, found your own little circle of friends to hang with, eventually. 

Today you two barely acknowledged each other, except for the occasional smile you were both forced to share whenever either of you noticed the other in the halls of your high school. 

It was sad that you guys had fallen out so much over the past month to the point that you no longer even felt comfortable giving him a birthday gift, instead choosing to have your mother do it for you.  

But dammit! Your mom had taken the wrong gift! 

When she had bugged you earlier that morning about going to the birthday party Chan’s parents were throwing for him at their house, you had ignored her, choosing to stay in bed and sleep in, but you had mumbled to her something about taking the small wrapped gift that was in your backpack to Chan’s. 

The part you had forgotten to mention was there were actually two gifts in your backpack. One was Chan’s true present that you were too afraid to give him and the other was the gift card you had bought at the last minute to replace the true gift. 

You had wrapped both gifts and left them in your backpack so when your mom had come to your room and asked you if she had grabbed the right one, still half asleep, you just mumbled "mmhm" before rolling over and going back to dreamland. 

It wasn't until you got up about an hour later and went downstairs only to find the wrong gift sitting on the counter that you realized which one your mom had taken with her.

That’s when you knew you just had to sneak into Chan's party to take it back and replace it. 

It had taken a while to get alone in the house where Chan's presents table was so that you could carry out your little plan. You'd had to play cordial and greet Chan’s parents, even Chan himself, and then mingle with several of the guests in attendance before you could finally find some alone time to make your way inside the house to grab back the gift. 

Now that you had successfully had the gift in your hand you could just switch it out with the one from your backpack and then you could-

"Y/N?"

Ah!” 

At the sound of the unexpected voice from behind you, you shouted, nearly jumping out of your skin. Simultaneously, you…

*Crash*

*Thump*

*Kerplunk*

…bumped into Chan’s presents table, causing a few of them to topple over and fall onto the floor. 

So much for being discreet, you thought, hopelessly. 

Needless to say, you hadn’t been expecting the sound of your ex-best friend's voice to interrupt you in your quest to get back the gift thus, startling you and causing you to knock into the gift table. 

At least it was just a couple of presents that fell and not the whole damn table. 

"Oops,” you now whimpered in embarrassment as you immediately kneeled to the floor to start picking up the few presents that had toppled over. As you scrambled to pick up the gifts, you felt Chan come up beside you to pick up a few himself. 

"I'm so sorry," you continued to apologize. 

He wasn't supposed to see you. That's why you had been trying to be sneaky about taking back your gift. Of course, you should've known better. You were never good at sneaking. Not only that but even despite the fact that you and Chan had not spoken in the last month it seemed he still had his "best friend radar" intact. How else would he have known to come inside the house right at the same time you had snuck in just to take back the damned gift? In fact, you had specifically waited to sneak inside only after you saw him surrounded by his guests and therefore he should've been too busy to even come inside, but here he was.   

Ever since you guys were kids Chan had always had a knack for finding you even when you didn't want to be found. He called it the "best friend radar." You wished you had it too. Then maybe you would've sensed him coming and then you could've moved a bit faster and got the hell out of his house before he could see you. But, no such luck. 

"It's okay, Y/N," Chan said as you both stood up and placed the gifts that had fallen back on the table. "I'm actually glad you're here. I thought you weren't coming. Or, at least, that's what your mom had said."

He was fully facing you now, smiling his dimpled grin that never ceased to help him charm his way into or out of anything, you included.

However, what he wanted at the moment you were not sure of, but with his gift still in your grasp, which you were now hiding behind your back, you knew you had to find a way to shoo him off so that you could switch out the gift. 

"Oh…yeah, well…here I am!" you replied rather awkwardly, with a nervous chuckle but it only came out as awkward as it had because you were both trying to be discreet about hiding his gift, while also not succumbing to his physical charms due to that smile of his whilst also trying to be friendly even despite the fact that the last time you both had a solid conversation was the day you had found out about his dating secret.  

In order to get him out of the house, you were going to have to figure out something quick though because in addition to the “best friend radar” Chan was also good at reading you. Actually, he was pretty good at reading people in general, but he knew you to the point that you were like an open book to him.

"Yeah, thanks for coming,” he now replied, his smile falling just a little as he glanced down for a second then back up at you. “So…long time no talk, huh? How have you been?” 

Chan looked at you, expectantly, causing you to avert your eyes when you answered in your attempt to appear more aloof. 

“Oh, you know…” you trailed momentarily. “I’ve been good.” 

Liar, your mind immediately responded which you ignored.  

“You?” you asked him as well as it was the courteous thing to do. 

However, Chan didn’t respond immediately but just stared at you for a moment causing you to fidget, uncomfortably. It had been a long while since you two had been alone and this moment with him proved it. It was awkward to be alone with him. Or, maybe it was just you.

Whatever the case, you were sure he was deciphering your every move which was why you were trying to appear standoffish, but you didn't think it was working. 

Finally, Chan answered, “...yeah, I’ve been good, too.”

His response was curt, which caused you to grimace in response. The conversation really was getting increasingly awkward to the point of being painful when in comparison to the way conversation used to flow between you two so effortlessly just the month before. You wondered if it was always going to be like this from now on…

“Cool,” you said simply and you would have just left it at that but because the silence was killing you, you in all your awkwardness, continued to ramble on. “So then you’ve been good, and I’ve been good and everything is…good...”

As you rambled on, Chan's lips had begun to spread into a smirk, clearly amused by your awkwardness, but it soon turned to a full on chuckle causing you to look away in embarrassment. 

Well, at least your awkward personality got a laugh out of him, which actually did help to relieve some of the tension between you two, but only by just a bit. Regardless, you wanted to use that moment to get the chance to leave the room, so you attempted to start inching towards the exit. “Yeah, so, I’ll just…”   

However, as you were doing so, Chan cut you off.

“What are you hiding behind your back?" 

You halted, stumped by his question. Automatically, your hand squeezed the gift you were indeed, hiding behind you.

You blinked a few times not knowing how to answer so you feigned innocence, instead. “What?”

Chan pointed at your arm that was placed behind your back.

“Behind your back,” he said, frankly. “What are you hiding?” 

Dammit! You cried, internally. 

See, this was why you were trying to get the hell out of that house! Chan had already figured you out in the five minutes or so you two had been talking. Of course, you already knew you were an open book but damn! Five minutes! He had kept a secret from you for ​​​​months but you couldn’t keep a secret from him for five damn minutes!  

That's okay y/n, you spoke to yourself in your head as you felt your heart rate speeding up. Just try to remain cool.

You shook your head. “Oh, um…I’m not-” 

“Is it my birthday gift?” he cut you off again.  

“No,” you responded a little too quickly and he smirked. 

Damnit! He knew. 

“Really?” he said, challenging you while grinning ear-to-ear. “Then show me.” 

You sighed, exasperatedly, exhausted with his persistence. “Chan, it’s not-​​​​whaaat are you doing?” 

With his head tilted to the side like he was trying to get a look around your frame so that he could see what you were holding behind your back, Chan had slowly started inching towards you very much in a manner that resembled a wolf stalking a prey animal. You, in turn, started to move backward, tentatively. 

“If you won’t show me then I’ll just have to find out for myself,” Chan answered in a teasing tone, his grin now mischievous, still moving closer and closer to you while you kept moving back.  

As he continued to close in on you, your heart beat with such intensity you worried it might actually beat out of your chest! “Chan, it’s not what you-hey!”

Before you could fully register what was happening, Chan rushed past you and you felt the weight of the present that was in your hand suddenly disappear. Next thing you knew, Chan was raising his arms high in the air in triumph of having successfully stolen the gift from you. 

You cursed him and his lightning fast reflexes.   

“Damnit, Chan!” 

Immediately, you lunged for him in an attempt to try and retrieve it back but he stretched out his long arm in the opposite direction. When you attempted to reach around him in order to try and get it back again, he just ducked, switched it to his other hand and held that arm out, instead. 

He was so amused, he was laughing at the entire situation. Another thing about Chan was he absolutely loved to tease. You especially, which was something you both loathed and endeared.

In fact, had you not been desperately trying to retrieve the gift, you would've been happy at the fact that you two were now behaving more the way you used to before the big secret.  

“Chan, come on!” you whined now, exasperatedly, as you continued to try and get back the gift but he just ignored your cries. 

With a voice full of humor, Chan read the little sticker you had placed on the gift. “To Chan, from Y/N.” He shot you with an accusatory glare. “I thought you said this wasn’t for me?” 

You stomped your foot, begrudgingly. “It’s for another Chan!”

At this, Chan raised an eyebrow at you in disbelief, clearly not buying it, then the corners of his mouth lifted into a grin again.  

“Can I?” he wiggled his thick brows at you. You didn’t even have to ask what he meant by those two words. 

“Absolutely not!” you cried, vehemently as you went back to trying to grab the gift back from him again. 

Immediately, you felt Chan’s entire mood change as his arm that had been stretched out in the opposite direction, suddenly slapped down to his side. He had gone from amused to serious in a heartbeat. 

“Why not?” he asked with a confused frown. “We always open each other’s gifts, first, before anybody else's.”

He was right. That’s probably part of the reason he felt entitled to the gift. As best friends, over the years you both had made it your own little tradition to open each other’s gifts, first, before anyone else's on your birthdays. Even you had opened Chan’s gift to you, first, during your birthday which had been a compilation of his greatest songs he had made on his laptop. 

“Not this time,” you now said, placing your hand out for him to hand over the gift. Now that he wasn’t fighting you anymore about the gift and was actually taking you seriously, you thought that maybe he would give it back, but Chan just looked down at your open palm then his expression turned from serious to suspicious.  

“You’re being weird,” he said with eyes narrowed at you as he started to step back whilst holding the gift away from you, clearly not bending on giving it back.  “Weirder than normal.” 

You on the other hand had unknowingly started to follow his steps, still set on getting the gift back from him, possibly through force if he kept up this little charade. 

“And you’re being more insufferable than normal,” you shot back at him, fed up. “Give me back the damned gift, Chan!” 

But this little uproar of yours hardly got the reaction out of him that you wanted. Instead, his expression turned challenging again. His brows furrowed, and his mouth turned in a lopsided smirk. 

He held the gift even further away before replying defiantly, “No!” 

You winced at him. “That’s it.” 

You were done with his . 

And what happened next was a complete blur to you. One moment, you were closing in on Chan just as he had been doing to you only a moment ago, and the next, you were literally jumping his bones. 

As a result, limbs fell on top of limbs as Chan stumbled backward and fell onto the couch behind him, while you, in all the momentum, followed along, landing right on top of him.

Crashing onto the fluffy material (thank God it was the couch and not the hard floor) you used your hands to try and help control yourself from completely colliding with him by planting them firmly down on the material surrounding you both otherwise you would've knocked heads.

It worked, but only by just a hair because your face stopped a mere centimeter from his very own.

With parted lips, you both gasped for air, worked up from the unexpected crash. 

Neither of you said anything. The house was dead silent as you both tried to catch your breaths. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of the low hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen and each of your shallow breaths.

In this moment of silence, you couldn't help but to notice that even despite how long you both had been best friends, you had never been this close to him before. 

Well, that wasn't true. You'd both been up in each other’s personal space plenty of times before but all those times were platonic. 

For instance, sharing whispered jokes in each other’s ears that would get the other bursting in laughter or slinging arms around each other's shoulders like good friends often do. Hugs during celebrations or even just friendly hugs for no reason were a constant ritual in your friendship but this…for some reason, your closeness to him this time felt different. 

For instance, a weird tickling sensation began to develop in the pit of your stomach at the feel of his chest and stomach being pressed right up against your very own. With each rise and fall of your chest, his own moved in sync underneath you as you both breathed heavily against one another. 

However, when the tickling sensation suddenly started to move further downward to your nether regions, embarrassed at the new feeling, you knew you had to get off him, immediately.  

But it seemed Chan didn’t mind you on top of him because when you had tried to sit up by pressing your hand against his chest to get leverage, he surprised you by quickly pressing his own hand firmly on your back, keeping you in place on him. 

Your heart rate skyrocketed at the action. In fact, you two were so close you bet he could feel it drumming in your chest. 

Swallowing hard, you gulped in response. 

"Chan, what are you-" 

"Why can't I open your gift, Y/N?" he asked you, breathlessly.

You sighed, putting your head down in his chest too embarrassed to look at him.

Because then you'll know, you answered in your head. 

"Fine," you finally gave in as you spoke into his chest. "Open it."

And so he did.  

Still keeping you in place on top of him with his arms, you felt Chan unwrap the gift above you while you remained quiet and unmoving. 

Once he got the gift unwrapped, he opened the box and you held your breath as you waited for his reaction, but as the moments ticked by and you didn't get one, you frowned. 

You looked up at him. Chan was silent. 

You watched his face, devoid of all emotion, as he eyed the piece of jewelry you had gotten him for his 18th birthday.

You didn't know what to make of this lack of reaction, but Chan soon cleared his throat before finally speaking. 

"How did you get this?"

You squirmed, uncomfortably. "Oh, I um…" 

"It's like, over two hundred dollars," he continued eyeing the piece of jewelry. 

"I know…I saved up for it," you admitted. 

Chan frowned as his eyes landed on you for the first time since he had opened the gift. 

"Why?" He asked, looking genuinely confused. "I mean, how did you even know…" He trailed in his speech, seeming to be having a hard time finding the words he wanted to say. He then sighed. "I can't believe this. I had been looking at this exact necklace a couple months ago."

You smiled sheepishly as you admitted, "Yeah, I know. I kinda had seen you staring at it in the window at Nordstrom at the mall."

Chan looked at you again. “You were following me?” 

You shook your head, figuring it was time for you to explain. 

“No. I was just at the mall with some friends, and you were at the mall, too, and I just saw you looking kind of hard at something in a store window for a really long time," you said, recalling the very day that inspired you to get the specific gift. "When you finally left, I went to go see what it was you were staring at and I saw the necklace and I just knew it was something you would’ve really liked. It was totally your style. Well, your old style, at least.” 

You looked up at him, running your eyes over his now neatly, fresh cut, straightened hair. Truthfully, you missed the untameable curls he used to sport that although he hated, you always loved. 

In fact, there was a lot he had changed about his appearance since he had started dating his current partner. 

He had taken out his studded earrings, leaving his lobes bare. He had gotten rid of his nose piercing. Had removed the black polish from his fingernails, and had completely gotten rid of his all black clothes in exchange for an ensemble that looked like it came out of an Old Navy catalog.

Today he wore brightly colored shirts, and v-necks. Dress shirts, slacks, and whatever new sneakers his partner bought for him were his everyday attire now. He looked fine, really. Chan looked good in anything, and you weren't adverse to him trying new styles, but you could tell that it wasn’t him. That he was only doing it to please his partner and their friends who could be super judgemental over things like appearances. 

You thought that by getting him the gift that maybe it would remind him of his old self somehow. That he might realize there was someone who liked him just the way he was, regardless, and did pay attention to what he liked.

When you guys were much younger Chan hadn’t paid any attention to his style, often choosing whatever hoodie he could grab followed with a pair of jeans, but as you guys got older his style changed a lot.

In addition to the all black ensemble and piercings, Chan had a thing for chunky jewelry like chokers, chains, spikes, and large rings. The jewelry piece you bought him for his birthday fit right in with what he would usually adorn himself in before his more recent makeover. 

The gift was a long sterling silver chain necklace with a polished silver skull dangling from it. The skull had a full grin, all teeth showing and the black empty sockets of its eyes were slanted downward giving it a slightly more menacing look. Lastly, was a slanted crown sitting atop its skull head.

The necklace had been a whopping two-hundred and twenty five dollars (hardly the most expensive piece of jewelry at Nordstrom’s but still plenty pricey for your budget). Luckily, since you had planned ahead to get Chan the gift for his birthday, which at the time, wasn’t until the latter end of the year in October, that meant you had plenty of time to save up money from your local cafe job. 

You had bought the necklace the second you had received your paycheck in hopes to make sure that no one else bought it before you could. Eager, you had even wrapped the gift immediately after you got home despite the fact that Chan’s birthday wasn’t for another two months. After that, the gift remained in your room on your dresser until Chan’s 18th birthday finally came around. But so much had changed between you both in the last month that you had no longer felt comfortable giving him such an intimate gift. That’s when you had bought a gift card in its place. 

Of course, switching out the gift had been a major failure on your part leading you to your current situation with you on top of him now. 

Chan continued to play with the necklace in silence and you wondered what he was thinking.

“You don’t hate it, do you?" You asked him, worriedly. "I-I could take it back-” 

“It’s incredible, Y/N," he interjected. "I can’t believe you even bought this for me." He continued to play with the necklace until his eyes finally landed on you again and he smiled that cute, dimpled grin again. "Thank you.” 

You nodded, feeling your cheeks burn, flustered by the sincerity in his appreciation for the gift. 

“Sure, no problem," you said, nonchalantly, although on the inside you were feeling anything but. "I just wanted to get you something special for your eighteenth.” 

As you admitted this, a confused frown made its way onto Chan's features again. "Y/N, why did you-"

But he didn't get to finish that question because the side door in the kitchen suddenly swung open.

“Chan?!” a voice called immediately following the opening of the door. On impulse, both you and Chan shot up from the couch. 

The voice continued, “Chan where are you, everyone’s…oh…” 

You stood uncomfortably as you were now looking at the person who was not only your old bully but Chan’s current partner. They looked you up and down, momentarily, before turning their attention to Chan. 

“What are you doing in here?" They asked him. "Everyone’s outside wondering ‘where’s the birthday boy?’ They want to bring out your cake. Come on!”

They ushered him with their hand to move quickly. 

Chan got up to move towards them. “Uh, yeah, sorry. I was just talking to Y/N.” 

“Oh," they glanced back at you but didn't say anything further about you. It was like you were barely even there. "Well, come on. Everyone's waiting.” 

They grabbed Chan's hand to take him outside but he turned around to ask, “You coming, Y/N?” 

You were so engrossed in the two you almost forgot about your own existence so it startled you just a bit when Chan questioned you, suddenly. 

With a forged smile, you nodded and followed a few feet behind the couple as they began to make their way outside. That's when you heard your old bully scoff at something. 

“Ew!” they said to Chan with a mocking laugh. “Where did you get that?” 

“What? The necklace?" Chan looked down at the necklace you had gifted him with which he was still holding in his hand. "It was a gift.”

“Really?" They said with a grimace. "But it’s so tacky…”

You frowned at their distaste for your gift but didn’t hear much more of the conversation from there as they went outside and everyone crowded Chan.   

Everyone sang him happy birthday, then watched him cut his cake and then watched him get smashed in the face with said cake by his partner, followed by friends and family. As everyone dove for the cake, Chan and your old bully ended up locking lips in a kiss that made your stomach churn, completely ruining any semblance of an appetite you had. 

It was then that you knew it was time for you to go. You had given him his gift, and even if his partner didn't like it, he was happy with it and that was all that mattered. Now, you could go home.    

You hadn't told anyone you were leaving, but just decided to sneak out while everyone was busy fighting over the cake. As you drove home you thought about your feelings for Chan. 

You didn’t know when your feelings towards him began to change. Maybe you had always liked him but was just the last person to realize it.

Regardless, the change wasn’t immediate, but your feelings just seemed to grow the more you and Chan drew further apart over the last month to the point that there was an ache in your chest whenever you saw him and his partner together, especially when they were locked at the lips like earlier. 

Sometimes seeing them together actually made you feel sick. Like sick to the point that you wanted to throw up. Aside from his new group of friends, that was the other major reason why you two would rarely hung out anymore. Because you couldn’t handle watching the two of them together when your feelings for Chan had grown so complicated over the past month but it was way too late to say anything now. 

It's funny how both your parents seemed to know there was something going on between you two, though. Even Chan's parents seemed to be surprised when you showed up for his birthday. 

Both your parents and Chan's parents had been friends since their high school days and had apparently always joked about having their kids grow up together, too, which actually did end up happening with you and Chan, so when you two stopped talking, your parents were the first ones to notice. That's how your mother knew there was something wrong between you both. 

After all, you and Chan had been inseparable since childhood so for him to suddenly stop coming around when he used to practically live at your house or for you to suddenly start staying in on weekends when you both used to hang out pretty much every weekend, the difference was highly noticeable. Still, your mother didn't pry but you could tell she was concerned. 

Regardless, you just reassured her that everything was okay between you both but just that you both had been really busy with prepping for life after high school like college applications and such. 

Speaking of college applications, you still had a few to fill out before the deadlines so you decided that that would be your main focus for now instead of on all your best friend drama. 

However, as the week progressed, Chan had made this decision of yours practically impossible to keep since he kept calling and texting you. You knew you should've just answered to find out what he wanted, but you really did just want to forget about him for a little while. Maybe if you could get over your stupid feelings for him then you could manage to have a normal friendship with him again, but for now you just wanted to be left alone. 

But again, no such luck because after being bombarded with calls and texts all week, by that weekend, you got a text from your mom saying there was someone at your house to see you. 

Who? You texted her back. 

​​​​It's Chan, she responded. Should I send him up?

Chan? You thought in disbelief. You knew you couldn't continue to ignore him. It wouldn't be fair and after all his attempts to contact you, followed by him showing up at your doorstep now, clearly he had something very important to tell you so you figured you might as well see what he wanted. 

You quickly shot your mom a text that you would be downstairs in a minute. 

But before you did, you took a quick glance at yourself in the mirror. You weren't disgusting by any means. You had at least showered, brushed your teeth and then threw on something comfy to lounge around the house in.

Then it suddenly occurred to you why you were even bothering to care about your appearance in the first place when Chan had seen you both at your worst and your best. In fact, that was one of the best things about having grown up with him since your childhood. You never had to "dress up" to impress him. 

With that in mind, you left your room, then quickly scuttled down the stairs. Your mom told you he was outside on the porch, so you headed out to meet up with him. 

When you stepped outside, you saw him sitting on the little decorative bench that was placed on your porch but you almost had to do a double take once you saw him because of what he was wearing. 

He was dressed very much like his old self which included faded black jeans that were ripped at the knees, a black tee, and a black leather jacket with the usual buckles, and chains dangling from it that he always liked.

"Uh…Chan?" 

At the sound of your voice, he looked up at you and straightened up. "Hey, Y/N." 

"Hi," you said, unsurely, as you closed the front door behind you. "What are you doing here?" 

Chan stared at you for a moment as he seemed to be mulling something over in his head before finally asking, "You haven't received any of my texts or calls in the last week?"

You look down embarrassed and shrugged. "I did but I've been kinda busy…" 

It wasn't necessarily a lie. In addition to school, you still had your job, studies, and college applications. But you didn't mention the part about you using those as distractions to purposely avoid his attempts to contact you. 

"Right…" he said now, rubbing his hands on his pants like his palms were sweaty. "Look Y/N, I'll cut straight to the chase." He looked up at you from his position on the bench, while you were still near the front door. "I can't get over your gift." 

Pulling out the necklace you bought him from underneath his shirt, he it before asking, "Why did you get this?" 

You didn't know what to say so you shrugged again. "Because I knew you'd like it."

"But why?" He pursued further. "It's so expensive. Even I didn't get you anything that cost this much. Just that lame playlist of songs I'd made…"

"I love your songs, Chan," you whispered but he didn't hear it so he continued on. 

"...but this…" he lifted the necklace wrapped around his neck. It suited him so well especially now that he was in his original all black attire. "This is way more than what I could ever ask for…so why?" 

He looked up at you again, searching for answers but you kept your head down, not daring to look him directly in the eye. 

"It's really not that big of a deal…" you mumbled. 

"It is to me," he said with such seriousness that it caused your stomach to flip. When you stayed silent, he added, "Y/N. The truth. Please. I need to be sure of something."

You honestly didn't know what to say. You couldn’t just suddenly come out and say "because I'm hopelessly in love with you!" He's seriously dating someone already for heaven's sake! 

Because you didn't know what to say your mouth fell open but no words came out. 

Finally, Chan relented and leaned back on the bench before running a hand over his face. 

"I broke up with them," he said, causing you to look up at him. "It wasn't pretty but, uh…it's over. That's what I've been trying to call you to tell you."

"Oh…" Now you felt bad for having ignored him all week. You finally moved away from the door and sat down beside him on the bench. "I'm sorry, Chan. That . What happened? You guys seemed good on your birthday." 

Just the mere mention of his birthday caused your brain to draw up images of the two kissing again and you shook your head to get rid of them. 

Chan scratched at the back of his neck. "Uh…look, I know I told you that I've been good, but…I was lying. Truthfully, I was happier in the short time we were alone on my birthday than I have been since we stopped talking a while ago."

This news surprised you. "You haven't been happy, Chan?" 

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. He then shook his head. "No, I mean, I've been alright." He looked confused now like he was trying to figure out his own emotions. "It's just…that's it. Nothing more. I've just been al-right. Not here or there…just," he shrugged. "You know, fine." 

He then turned to face you fully. "You remember when we were younger how we always wondered what it would be like to get in with the popular crowd?" 

You nodded. Neither of you were outcasts by any means but neither of you were ever at the center of your school's social circle either. It was just something you thought about from time to time. 

Chan continued. "Well, I'll admit that's part of the reason why I dated my ex in the first place. Everyone, even those who swear they don't care at least wonders what it's like and I'm no different. But honestly, it's not that great. At least, not with them and their friends. 

"At first, it was cool. You know, having someone from the popular crowd be into me. Plus, they were hot…" Chan chuckled to himself at having to admit this to which you just rolled your eyes. But there was no denying that their looks were a huge part of the reason for your old bully's climb up the social ladder. 

"But then the longer we dated the more I realized they didn't really like me the way I was. I had to keep changing things to please them…" 

As he spoke, he looked far off before his eyes finally landed back on you. "Those were the times I missed you most. But you were upset with me, so I didn't know how to tell you. I'm still really sorry, Y/N."

You sat in silence as you thought over everything he was admitting to you. 

"I never would've guessed," you said finally. "You two always seemed so wrapped up in each other and just because I wasn't friends with them, I still wanted you to be happy. I was willing to accept it if they were good to you." 

"...they were, but only to the changed version of me," Chan said. "That's why we were dating secretly, at first. Not only because I didn't want you to know because of your past with them, but because they were worried about being seen with me in public and what their friends would think." 

You scoffed at this. Now you hated them twice as much! 

Going into best friend mode, you immediately started off in a tirade about how awesome he is. 

"How could they be embarrassed of you?!" You exploded. "They're the ones that needs to be embarrassed! Not you! Chan you're awesome and you could do way better. They don't deserve you." 

At first, Chan had started to laugh as you went off but got quiet once you said your last words. 

"Who does then?" He asked, glumly. "What do I deserve?" 

You stared at your best friend, sitting beside you in awe of all his beauty that for whatever reason, he just couldn't see himself. 

"You deserve to be happy, Chan," you told him sincerely. "To have someone who won't be embarrassed to be out with you in public no matter what you're wearing. Someone who will support you no matter what." 

He grinned as he looked up at the sky before saying, "Like…you?" 

Your cheeks burned and you looked away. He was being cheeky. Teasing you once again. That's when he snapped his fingers. 

"I knew it!" He said excitedly at having figured out your secret. "How long?"

You looked down at your fingers as you admitted to him, "I think I always have, but just didn't realize it until we stopped speaking." You paused as you looked down at your shoes. "I'm sorry." 

At this, Chan snapped his tongue. "Why are you apologizing? You're sorry you like me?" 

You shook your head, before admitting frustratedly, "No, it's just…because we're supposed to be best friends and best friends aren't supposed to like each other…"  

After you trailed in your speech not elaborating any further, Chan was quiet for a moment until he finally spoke up.

"No, they aren't," he said. "And you know what else best friends don't do?"

You looked up at him, confusedly but was completely caught off guard when you felt his thumb and index finger lightly grab your chin and tilt it upward before placing his lips on yours.

Butterflies soared in your stomach. You had never thought much about your best friend's lips before, but boy were they soft with just the right amount of plumpness! 

When he finally ended the kiss with a quick of your lips, you swore you almost melted into a puddle right on that very bench. 

No wonder why your old bully seemed to enjoy kissing him so much! Oh well, their loss. 

He eventually pulled away, still with his hand gripping your chin, and you bit your lip before leaning away slightly feeling both elated and embarrassed at the same time. 

"Uh…yeah. Best friends definitely don't do that…." You started to ramble. '"Well, I mean...unless they're not best friends anymore but are actually dating now then I guess they-" 

But Chan just shook his head, laughing at your usual awkwardness as always before shutting you up with another kiss to which you just enjoyed instead of interrupting it with more rambling. 

Then suddenly, Chan stopped kissing you for a moment as a thought seemed to come to him. 

"So, I just have one more question," he told you and you nodded as you waited for him to ask. You had thought it was actually going to be something serious, that is until he asked you, "So, do you really like my songs, Y/N?" 

Now it was your turn to roll your eyes and shut him up with a kiss. Of course you loved all his songs, but not nearly as much as you loved the incredible guy who made them.