A "Nerdy" Boys Confession

Stray Kids One-Shots

Summary: Your friend, Kim Seungmin, was notorious for being the nerdiest boy roaming around your college campus. Little did you know, he actually has a confession to make about his true self...

Genre: fluff, cute, happy, drabble, cliché, nerd turns out to be hot

Pairing: Kim Seungmin X GN! Reader

Word Count: 2.7K


 

You had stared in shock at the young man sitting across from you at the bench you were both at, flabbergasted by what he had just asked of you.

“Excuse me?” you had questioned, urging him to repeat what he had just said a second before.

Outside, you had been studying, peacefully, at one of the benches placed around your college campus when one of your peers had asked if they could sit down to join you.

It was Kim Seungmin, a peer from one of your classes who you had come to be on friendly terms with even despite your…differences…

Basically, he was a complete and total nerd while you were considered normal, for the most part.

For example, the both of you were bookworms but whereas you enjoyed reading as a leisure activity, Seungmin seemed to always be practically absorbed into books. His nose was usually buried so deep within a book that he often forgot to pay attention to where he was going, resulting in him bumping into things on occasion.

In fact, that was how you two met.

One time he had bumped into a pole and instead of helping him, everyone around campus started laughing at him. Of course, you being a nice person felt bad for him so you offered to help him up. He had smiled, shyly, and thanked you for your help before dashing away like a scared little puppy. After that you had just continued on your way like usual.

You had originally thought that would be the last time you would speak to him, but then, ever since the whole pole incident happened, he always said "hi" to you whenever you two passed each other by on campus. You were worried that by helping him you had unintentionally earned yourself an admirer and based on what he had just asked you as you both sat at the bench, if you heard him correctly then your worries were actually coming true.

Seungmin fidgeted with his fingers as he mustered up the courage to ask you his question again. His natural voice was always so soft, sometimes you could barely hear it.

"I asked…u-um…,” he stuttered, nervously. “I-If you would go on a d-date with m-me?"

Yep. You were definitely right. Kim Seungmin seemed to have developed a little crush on you.

Where is this coming from? you wondered. One moment the two of you were both quietly studying for your exam that was coming up in two weeks and the next moment he was asking you out on a date.

Well, he hadn’t actually asked you out that randomly. To be fair you did ask him, first, if he had any plans for that weekend but that was just you trying to make conversation. You had expected him to answer with “more studying” or something, but not for him to retaliate with a question of his own about dating.

When you stayed quiet Seungmin must have mistaken your silence for rejection because he put his head down looking embarrassed.

"It's okay," he said, softly. He started to close his books to put them away as he stood up. "Um…I'll just leave…"

Now you felt really bad.

"Wait!" you stopped him before he could dash off. Then, without thinking, you said “yes,” but Seungmin looked back at you a little confusedly so you clarified. “Yes, I’ll go on a date with you.”

Seungmin stared at you, unmoving, like something short circuited in his brain thus rendering him unable to respond, then almost immediately afterward, his entire face lit up like lights on a Christmas tree.

"Really?!" He sounded super ecstatic, his voice raising a whole octave higher than you had ever heard from him before. It was kinda cute of him, actually. Like he had never expected you to say “yes” in a million years. Probably because he was so used to being ridiculed by others.

You didn't want to admit it because it was mean, but on campus Seungmin was considered kind of a loser. In addition to crashing into poles and other things due to always having his face glued to the pages of his textbooks, he also lacked in physical appearance.

Seungmin wore these thick glasses that were way too large for his face that made his eyes look huge like bug eyes. He also seemed to only own one outfit because he wore the very same shirt, pants, and jacket literally every single day (it was either that or he owned dozens of the exact same shirt and pants). In addition, the clothes swallowed his entire frame since they looked like they were ten sizes too big for him like they might have been hand-me-downs from a family member who was much bigger than him. His hair, also, always had this wild and matted look to it like it hadn't been groomed in months.

Appearance-wise, he really was kind of a cry for help. The thing was, you didn't believe that any one person should ever change for anybody else but only for themselves and so you never brought up how Seungmin chose to carry himself. It never really bothered you. He was still a nice person and he did help you out in your class so you didn't see the need to give him any more of a hard time than he already had by trying to give him misguided advice on how to improve his looks. If others had something to say about his clothes, or his hair, or whatever else, then that was their problem, not his.

Regardless, Seungmin was still a human being so you knew that it had to get to him sometimes. That's why you had agreed to his offer for a date even though you weren't actually interested in him as more than a friend.

You had nodded in agreement. "Uh…sure, I'll go out with you Seungmin."

This had made Seungmin grin wide. "Okay. How about we meet up at the local diner near campus at noon on Saturday?"

You immediately knew the diner he was referring to considering you had seen him there sometimes whenever you stopped to get a drink on your way to class or whenever you were out running errands.

"That sounds good," you had agreed again.

And so that's how you ended up where you are now. Waiting at the local diner Seungmin had said for you two to meet up at, in a booth, all by yourself…

That's right. Kim Seungmin had yet to show up for your date despite him being the one who had asked you out.

You now sighed as your head shot in the direction of the entrance door to the diner. The little bell above the door that signaled every time a customer entered had rung thus, grabbing your attention for the umpteenth time, but once you saw it was someone else instead of the person you were supposed to be on a date with right now, you slumped in disappointment. You started to wonder if Seungmin was really going to ghost you. He was the one that had said you two should meet at noon. So where was he?

You pulled out your phone to see what time it was.

12:17

Seventeen minutes. You had been waiting for him to show for seventeen minutes already. If he didn't show in the next five, you were leaving.

Tick….Tick…Tick..

You couldn't even wait the full five minutes. Seventeen was long enough.

That's it, you mused, annoyedly.

You got up to leave the diner, but not before at least ordering yourself a cup of your favorite drink to go. Once your drink came, you headed for the door; however, as you did so, your phone, which you had placed in the side pocket of your backpack, started to ring.

With your drink in one hand, you used your other to fish for the phone from the pocket of your backpack without taking it off to do so. This made it kind of awkward to reach for since you had to bend your arm in a peculiar way to get it. With your attention so preoccupied with answering your phone before the call ended, you missed the person entering the diner just as you were leaving it causing a head on collision between you both.

SMACK!

As a result, your drink spilt all over your favorite top which you had chosen to wear for today's date, completely drenching your front.

"Oh my gosh!” The person you had collided with exclaimed. “I am so sorry!"

You sighed in disappointment but you shook your head. It was your fault, too. After all, you weren't watching where you were going, either. "No, it's okay. I’m sorr-"

You stopped short as you looked up at the person for the first time and were nearly blown out of your mind by what your eyes were feasting on.

It was a guy, but damn was he a handsome one! He looked like he had just walked off the set of a popular Kdrama like one of those with a school setting and a ridiculously handsome male lead.

He was tall, with dark hair, and dark, but big puppy eyes, and an innocent looking face.

The only thing was, even though you were seeing him for the first time, at the same time he also looked extremely familiar to you but you weren't sure why. You would definitely remember this guy if you had seen him around campus but when the next few words came from his mouth, you knew exactly who it was and why he seemed so familiar to you.

“I’m sorry for being a bit late for our date,” he said in a familiar soft tone you knew only belonged to one other male you knew. “I was just a little nervous about showing up, so it took me longer to get ready than usual.”

That’s when it hit you.

"Seungmin?!" you shouted in complete disbelief.

In response, he flashed you a perfect pearly white smile. "Hi, y/n."

*

You and Seungmin now both sat at the booth you had been at earlier, you staring at him in awe and him shifting looking a little uncomfortable.

It took you a moment to come to your senses but once you did, you shook your head as you finally snapped out of it. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he said with a soft chuckle that sounded super attractive to you before glancing down at his clothing. " I know I look a little different from how you're used to seeing me."

A little different? You thought. He was practically a completely new person!

First, the large thick-rimmed glasses that used to magnify his eyes to a disturbingingly large size were gone, so you could actually see just how pretty his natural deep brown eyes were.

Also, the oversized, hand-me-down clothes were nowhere to be seen, as well. Instead, they were replaced with what you would describe as the typical college student attire of jeans, and a university sweater but Seungmin had added a dark leather jacket that matched the color of his dark hair and eyes, which was definitely an attractive look on him.

Speaking of his hair, that too, was completely different now. What used to be a wild and untamed mane was now a freshly cut hairstyle, with full bangs that fell into his eyes.

He looked really good.

However, while you were admiring him, you noticed a sudden change in Seungmin's expression as he frowned. His eyes seemed to be fixed on what you were wearing.

"Do you want my jacket?" he suddenly asked you. "Wearing that wet shirt can't be comfortable."

You now looked down at the large dark wet spot covering your front. Truth be told you had been so enamored with his appearance that you had forgotten all about your wet shirt but it did feel a little sticky now that he had pointed it out.

"Oh well, it's ok-" You had started to decline his offer, but before you could even get the full sentence out he was already pulling off his jacket and handing it over to you.

"Take it," he insisted. "I'll feel much better if your comfortable."

With his jacket now off, for the first time you could see Seungmin's actual frame since he was usually always in clothes ten times too large for his body. He was visibly fit with broad, perfectly square shoulders, a long neck and a chiseled jawline.

You ended up gaping at him again for a minute before it occurred to you to grab the jacket.

You took it and put it on, immediately comforted by the warmth it held from his body heat. You hugged yourself in it.

He smirked as he seemed rather amused by your reaction to being in his clothes.

"You look good in my jacket," he flirted suddenly, and your cheeks burned in embarrassment. You weren't used to this handsome, more confident Seungmin, at all.

"Seungmin what happened to you?" You voiced aloud your thoughts. "Did you go and get a makeover or something?"

He shook his head. "It's kind of a long story."

You shrugged. "Were on a date," you reminded him. "We've got time."

He smiled and nodded. "Well…you see the way I dressed myself before and the way I acted wasn't really me. I kind of dressed the way I did and acted like a geek on purpose only because I wanted to see how others would treat me."

When you looked at him in confusion he must have taken that as his cue to keep explaining because he continued.

"When I was in high school others always treated me like I was special. Even my teachers and my principal did and it was all because I came from a wealthy family. It was always hard to make genuine friends. When people know you're wealthy they tend to just want to get closer to you because it benefits them. And dating…well, it was never hard to date people, but if it was hard to make genuine friends then it was even harder to get a date with someone who liked me for me. I didn't want the same thing to happen in college. I didn't want to continue living that way so that's when I came up with a plan…"

Seungmin went on to explain how entering college he would come up with the idea to change his appearance and his personality to that of a "nerd" in order to see how others would treat him and how it worked.

"No one recognized me, not even peers from my old high school. I knew my disguise was working and then I could try to make real friends with my new look. But of course, once everyone thought I was a loser it was harder than ever to make a real friend let alone get a date. But then that's when I met you on that day that I ran into that pole and everyone laughed at me but you didn't. After that I was intrigued. I wanted to know more about the person who helped me. You never treated me like others did who acted like I was contagious with a disease they didn't want to catch. You treated me like a real friend. So that's when I decided to ask you out and reveal my true self for the first time."

Wow.

That was literally all that was going through your mind as Seungmin revealed everything to you.

"I can't believe this," you said as you came to grips with everything he had just told you. "So you really didn't just change yourself to please others? This is the real you? Because, you know I only want you to be yourself. I'll still be your friend no matter what."

You really didn't want him to think he had to change to fit anybody else's standards. Even yours. But Seungmin just shook his head in response.

"I know you will," he said flashing you that pretty smile of his again. "That's why I wanted to get to know you more and asked you out."

You nodded. "Okay. But I have to say you really do look very handsome, Seungmin. Completely boyfriend material."

Immediately after you had said it, you cringed at your own attempt at flirting but once you heard a genuine laugh release from Seungmin, you felt better about it.

"Thank you y/n," he said. "Hey, what do you say we start over and use this date to really get to know each other?"

"I'd like that," you agreed but you just had one tiny little request for him. "But if you're okay with it, do you mind if I take a couple pics of you for my insta?"

Instead of saying "yes," Seungmin smirked and responded by suddenly posing for you and you squealed as you started taking photos of him with your phone.

All your peers on campus were about to get a rude awakening when the real Kim Seungmin showed up to class on Monday.