epilogue

can you hear my heart

EPILOGUE

Five months later...

 

 

 

 

 

The airport is crowded as the passengers pass through the exit one by one. There are smiles on most people’s faces as they talk to each other and give hugs. Some reunite with their loved ones, while some are either hurrying to go home or are waiting for their scheduled flights.

It’s a familiar sight to Jongwoon as he walks out with his luggage, observing his surroundings every now and then. He has always felt a little bittersweet about it, but now, his emotions are completely different.

Surprisingly, he feels happy and expectant, not even a twinge of sadness.

Because he plans on surprising his boyfriend today.

A month ago, he told Hyukjae that he would be in the city for a week, so Hyukjae said that Jongwoon could stay at his place in the meantime. Hyukjae’s grandma had recovered greatly after her treatment, and she looks much brighter and healthier than before.

After resting well and taking her medication on time, she would happily visit her friends’ houses in the neighborhood nowadays to chat and catch up. When she’s not doing anything, she’d usually be at her home, doing relaxing hobbies like knitting and tending to her little garden.

After much contemplation, Jongwoon finally decided to quit his job three months ago. He thought that he would regret it a little, but to his surprise, it made him feel relieved. Happier, even.

He started work online as a freelancer and an independent contractor instead, which worked out perfectly for him since it was remote work and also offered flexible hours. Plus, he had more time to explore his hobbies and go outside, to see more of the world and experience many things.

Jongwoon smiles to himself. There are a lot of things he can’t wait to tell Hyukjae. They have so much to catch up on, especially because both of them became busy with their own problems for a while and couldn’t communicate that much.

After getting another chance, Jongwoon made sure to greet Hyukjae with a good morning every day, and a good night whenever Hyukjae was about to go to sleep. Just like in the past.

They would video call at least once a week and have long messages whenever they have free time. Jongwoon would also make sure to send Hyukjae gifts from time to time, just to let the latter know that he missed him very much.

After their deep talk that night, Jongwoon never ignored Hyukjae again and expressed his thoughts and feelings more, while Hyukjae learned how to manage his stress and priorities by not depending too much on Jongwoon. They also made sure to hear each other out as much as they could, not wanting any issue to become a misunderstanding.

Jongwoon also talked about Hyukjae’s sensitive mood and temper a while after. Hyukjae acknowledged it and found a compromise that suited them both quite well.

Unexpectedly, Jongwoon did try out knitting and learned how relaxing it was. He didn’t get to ask Hyukjae’s grandma to teach him at first, but he did promise her that they would do it together someday.

Hyukjae, on the other hand, discovered hiking and realized how refreshing it was. Jongwoon would join him sometimes whenever he visited, and it became a mutual, enjoyable hobby between them.

In the end, they learned how to be supportive of each other and how to cherish each other more. They still fought from time to time, but always remembered to apologize by the end of the day and tell each other ‘I love you’.

Jongwoon had been thinking about something for a while now. For months, actually.

He didn’t particularly have any attachments to his city. He didn’t have many friends there, and his family lived in another state. He only stayed there for his job, which he now quit.

He made sure of this in his heart many, many times. It was a big decision, after all. It hadn’t been easy, but as time passed, the answer in his head grew clearer and clearer.

In the end, he decided that he wants to be with Hyukjae. To stay with Hyukjae, and spend the rest of his life with him.

So he’s now moving to Hyukjae’s city. He plans to ask Hyukjae if he wants to find an apartment together so they can move in there and live a new life.

Jongwoon smiles as he feels the small, velvet box inside one of the small pockets of his long coat. It’s not the right time yet since there are still a lot of things that they need to work out together, especially after moving, but this way, he’ll always be prepared.

I miss him already, Jongwoon thinks to himself, humming sweetly under his breath. A melody that’s both familiar to him and Hyukjae.

He drags around his two pieces of luggage with each of his hands, feeling the weight of his backpack behind him. His headphones are resting on the base of his neck. He already paused the music a while ago.

He stops for a moment to take out his phone that’s currently ringing.

He smiles when he sees who’s calling. “Hello?”

“Hyung!” Hyukjae’s voice comes from the other end of the line. “Where are you right now?”

Jongwoon looks around for a moment. “I’m at—”

“Hold on. I see you!”

Jongwoon’s gaze moves forward to see Hyukjae walking towards him at a distance, waving excitedly. He’s dressed in a long-sleeved, green shirt and blue jeans, and he’s still pressing his phone against his ear. There’s a big, gummy smile on his face that can be seen clearly even from afar.

Jongwoon can’t help but chuckle to himself. Hyukjae has always had such a beautiful smile.

“I’ll hang up no — wait.” There’s a puzzled note in Hyukjae’s voice as he slowly approaches. “Have you always had that much luggage?”

Jongwoon smiles. “I don’t know. What does it seem like?”

Hyukjae pauses in his tracks. “Hyung...”

“Why did you stop? Aren’t you going to welcome me?” Jongwoon says teasingly. “If I tell you that I’m staying here for good, will you run over to me like they do in the movies?”

“Hyung?” Hyukjae’s eyes go wide. “What did you just say?”

“I said that I’m staying here. For good.”

“For... good...?”

“Yes,” Jongwoon says softly. “For good.”

The realization shows on Hyukjae’s face, and he shows the biggest smile that Jongwoon has ever seen.

Jongwoon puts down his phone at the same time as Hyukjae, and he opens his arms as the latter runs towards him.

The moment Hyukjae goes into his arms, Jongwoon holds him closely, so tightly like he never wants to let go.

Jongwoon can’t resist and lifts Hyukjae up by the waist before swinging him around happily, laughing as Hyukjae frantically hugs his neck from surprise. Hyukjae breaks out of his startled trance before laughing along with Jongwoon, leaning down to catch his lips in a delighted kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Distance teaches us to appreciate the days that we are able to spend together and teaches us the definition of patience.

 

 

 

 

 

Its a reminder that every moment together is special, and every second should be cherished.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

fin