Realization

Maybe This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Dara's POV

 

 

After seeing the news about the bastard that Minah, I felt a big relief. The case took quite long for this guy, but the most important thing is that the victims got their justice they deserved. I wanted to message Minah, but I decided to change my number when I returned from that mission about two months ago. Wooyoung is pissed off with my decision, but he knew how stubborn I am and the last thing he wanted to happen is for me to cut off my communication with him too. I felt bad of course but having more people closer to me is not a good idea since I have dangerous job, I can't risk anyone's safety.

 

After I had my breakfast, Wooyoung sent me a message that made my heart ache. Sadly, one of the Ahjummas just died. Then I dialled his number. "Can I help with something?" She doesn't have any relative as she did not get married, and her siblings are dead already, so the head of this town usually arranges the funeral for this type of situation.

 

"They're deciding for the chief mourner. Do you want to do it? The funeral will be held for two nights only."

 

I inhale deeply. "Sure. What time I need to be there?" Seehun Ahjumma is one of these Ahjummas that stayed with me while I'm being the chief mourner when Mom died.

 

"Five in the afternoon I believe, I'll confirm with them now and I'll just give you a message."

 

Twenty minutes passed; he confirms everything. Later on, Wooyoung picked me up and we both went to the funeral house. It is a busy first night. I can't remember how many people I talked to, how many people I served food to.

 

"Thank you for doing this, Tokki."

 

I smiled at Hyunsung Ahjumma. "This is nothing, Ahjumma. I won't ever forget how you, Seehun Ahjumma and everyone who helped me when Mom died. You rest now, just come back tomorrow. Wooyoung will stay with me tonight."

 

After the elderly people left, I start to clean up until Wooyoung joined me. "You go to sleep now. I'll do the rest."

 

I nodded as I looked at Seehun Ahjumma's photo. "She's probably with Mom and Dad now, I'm jealous."

 

He scoffed. "Your parents are not ready to see you yet. You need to get married first."

 

I just sigh, I don't have the energy right now to argue with him then I went to the small room. As soon as I closed my eyes, Jiyong's face popped up. After that day I last saw him, he is constantly in my mind. That hurt in his face. That sadness in his eyes. I always think about it. This guilt feeling seems going to stay for long. It's not just guilt, you are regretting it too. Wooyoung's voice suddenly echoed in my head. Then I forced myself to sleep.

 

The following day is much busier but unlike yesterday, the atmosphere did not feel heavy. Everyone seems enjoying this day before we do her burial tomorrow morning. After all, she died peacefully. "Tokki, when are you getting married?"

 

I smiled politely as much as I could. The elderly people here seem found a right timing to ask me things like this since I'm avoiding them. 

 

"Don't be like Seehun. She has no one here to be with her in her remaining days."

 

"You were with her, Ahjumma."

 

"It's different compared to having a spouse and children."

 

"I'll be fine, Ahjumma. Don't worry about me."

 

"Do you want us to set you up?"

 

"No need, Ahjussi. I am focusing on with my career right now."

 

"Come on, everyone." Hyunsung Ahjumma get their attention. "Don't pressure our dear tokki. The heaven will do something if it's really meant to be."

 

I politely excused myself to assist other visitors. "Why did you leave me with them?" I whispered to Wooyoung as soon as I approached him.

 

He chuckled. "Now you know what I felt during those times they cornered me while you are somewhere else doing your own thing." I just groan. As the night ended, I tiredly sat down at the corner then Wooyoung sat beside me. "It's finally quiet." He said, he seems exhausted as well. "When is your departure for your new mission?"

 

"Two days from now, these Ahjummas and Ahjussis won't keep asking you my whereabouts as I told them that I'm taking a short language course in Russia." This new mission might take at least a month so for these neighbours not to raise any suspicion, I told them about it. Well, it's true that I'll go to Russia anyway. They are excited for me as they thought that this is my first time traveling overseas.

 

"So, you won't be here on your birthday?"

 

"Possibly. I accepted this mission as I don't want to be in the middle of a mission during Christmas and New Year, so you won't need to lie for me this year."

 

He scoffed. "Thank goodness for your consideration."

 

I chuckled. "You're welcome."

 

Silence filled between us. "Are you not really planning to stop being in this job?"

 

That startled me. Well, this is the first time that he asked me this question directly. "Not anytime soon. I know my life is always in danger whenever I'm on a mission, but this job gives me fulfilment. At least, if I die, it's for a good cause."

 

"Shut up. You need to get married first."

 

I groan. "Don't start. I'm not going to change my mind, okay?"

 

"You never know what the future holds."

 

"I create my own future."

 

"Wanna bet?"

 

"Stop wasting your time on me. You are the one who needs to find a spouse."

 

"I'm not looking or searching, I'm just waiting. I believed that the universe would do it for me at the right time."

 

I snorted. "There's no such thing as waiting for the right timing. Every moment could be the right time if you will act on it."

 

"You may be right but don't forget that life is always full of surprises no matter how you plan out your life."

 

That made me speechless. I honestly don't know how to counter that.

 

3 weeks after.

 

As I arrived at the airport, I immediately get on a cab. The organization pulled out all their agents in this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter