How it Ended

The Strategy
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Byulyi wasn’t really good at planning, she was more about acting on something she wanted to do, and then make it. But planning was Yongsun’s thing, that for sure. Once, they were just chit chatting when Byulyi mentioned the places she had already travelled to. Yongsun was marveled by that news, since she had travelled to a few and the experiences were absolutely awesome to her.

            But Byulyi was all about “Yeah, that place was cool. The food was good.”, and “Oh, well, I don’t know about this place at all. I went there to camping.”

            “Byulyi, you’re wasting your money on nothing…”, she sighed. “How come you have nothing good to say about those places?”

            “The food was good.”

            “But the people? Culture? What have you learned about their life style?”

            “Hm… well, the waiter was really nice… I guess they’re nice people.”

            Because when Yongsun decides she wants to travel, she rarely will keep going to regular places where travellers normally would go. Not Yongsun, no. She would research all the hidden treasures of all those locations, even talk to natives. She would think about security issues, she would print all the proves of the places she would be visiting and she would have a perfectly fit schedule.

            Planning was all about Yongsun, so Byulyi would try to plan something for herself, at least this time. So she took Yongsun as a example on “how to make Yongsun fall in love, as Yongsun would do”. First step would be: Making sure you have a chance.

            Yongsun was hard to give up on the things, she was just like a dog with its bone, but before giving everything to reach something, she would make sure that she stood a chance from the beginning. Byulyi had a crush on Yongsun, undeniable, but does Yongsun have a crush on Byulyi?

            She finally finished her bath. The first step was making sure Byulyi liked her the same as she did. Byulyi had enough affection for the other to not want to waste they good relationship on nothing. To her, was easy to let a lover past if that meant keep this person around. Yongsun wouldn’t be the first, or the last, unless she liked Byulyi back, then she would want her to be the last.

            By the moment she opened the bathroom door, she just faced Yongsun right in that moment. Suddenly, the surrounding felt weird. Somehow, admitting she liked Yongsun changed it all, because right in that moment, she felt overly exposed by standing in front of her in only a tower. Yongsun had a oddly serious expression.

            “Thought you had died there.”, she mumbled. “You’ll pay my bill if you keep taking long showers.”

            “Oh, sorry. That’s actually the first time I shower at your place. Please, be kind.”, she replied playful.

            “Oh, but you definitely spend a lot of time here. You might as well just live with me already, don’t you agree?”, she raised an eyebrow. A side-smile playing on her lips, making Byulyi blush, because why not?

            “Wow… if you do these things fast in a friendship, I couldn’t imagine you with a boyfriend.”

            “Oh, no, I wouldn’t. If I don’t trust someone enough, I wouldn’t invite them to live with me… and don’t assume I would only date a man.”

            That made Byulyi stop for seconds long. They had never said anything deeply about relationships. As far as she remembered, Yongsun commented that she spent years without getting herself in a relationship, to the point it never occupied her thoughts again. Byulyi once mentioned about her late girlfriend, but she had never specified about this person being a woman.

            “Would you date a girl?”, she asked dumbly.

            “I would. Wouldn’t you?”, Yongsun asked back.

            “Yeah… I mean, for sure. The thing is that you had never mentioned this before.”

            “Neither have you, but I know what you are!”, she laughed. They could had been in silence since nowadays, because Byulyi was too stunned to speak. Thanks to Yongsun, she had clean clothes along with her, which she gave to Byulyi. She left right after.

            The rest of that night went just as faster as she could notice. There was Byulyi hugging Yongsun to sleep, but her mind was yet to shutdown. She kept thinking about what could she do in order to figure out if she had a chance with Yongsun, but the answers came in the same moment. She started to consider:

           1. Yongsun was single.

            There would be no way of her having a partner while spending basically all her free time with Byulyi.

            2. She dateso girls.

            By the logic, if Yongsun just admitted that she would date a girl and that there was no other close girl in her life, if there'sa line or girlfriends for Yongsun, Byulyi would be the number one.

            That was what made Byulyi arrive at the office on the first day back work, already searching for them: Wheein and Hyejin. They were closer to Yongsun, and she was also close to them. Indirectly, they lighted up Byulyi’s curiosity on getting to know Yongsun better, so better than them to help her, there would be no one.

            They obviously found weird that Byulyi called them to her table in the middle of they work, she wouldn’t do that. When they stopped by, she didn’t lost a second.

            “I need you guys to help me on something.”, she started. “You guys need to act as my spy and collect some information for me.”, she said.

            “Oh, my… she left out some weird in barely seconds of talk…”, Hyejin sighed.

            “Spy on who? That’s crazy.”, Wheein, on the other hand, laughed at Byulyi’s antics.

            “I’ll explain! I want you guys to help me to reach Yongsun.”, then she started.

            Although, to Byulyi that could be news, Wheein and Hyejin seemed as bored as they normally would look like, whenever they hanged out along with their oldest friends, aka Byulyi and Yongsun. They weren’t as surprised as Byulyi wanted them to be, but at least they pretended. Barely.

            “Oh, really? Where did that come from? When did you realize all that?”, Hyejin exclaimed, the ridiculous way she sounded made Wheein bit down on her lips hard, to avoid laughing.

            But Byulyi seemed to be out of it. “Yeah, right! But look, don’t even ask how I came with this conclusion, or when it all started. I just realized!”

            “That actually sounds like yourself. Suddenly awake, realizing that you fell in love with you friend.”, Wheein nodded.

            “Love is too much, Wheein. I like her.”, Byulyi said firmly.

            “You guys just adopted a pet.”, Hyejin sighed. “The most weird about it is that you guys made too much things before being a couple.”

            “You left too little intimacy for a romance now. What lasts? Kissing?”

            “Having , that for sure.”, Hyejin laughed, followed by Wheein.

            “Hey! Too fast!”, Byulyi exclaimed.

            Byulyi had more to organize along with the other two, but by seeing their frozen expression towards something right behind her, she could only deduce that they would no longer talk. Byulyi looked over her shoulder, Yongsun was there.

            “What are you guys doing?”, she asked, a pile of papers on her hands. “I was searching for you, Hyejin.”

            “Chatting.”, Hyejin replied simply, standing up to go back with Yongsun.

            Yongsun was ready to complain about them, but the sounds of her nagging became muffled by the office workers and Byulyi’s own plans. Wheein remained there, and the only thing she asked the friend to do, along with Hyejin, was to keep an eye on Yongsun, her reactions and maybe give Byulyi and extra push on her journey.

            "You know that there's nothing much we can add on your knowledge about Yongsun. You probably know more about her than us even! We can give you some help by proposing her to spend more quality time with you, so you'll have more opportunities... but that's all."

            Byulyi was aware that there wasn’t a lot that her friends could do, she needed to go alone. As long as she knew, Yongsun was working there for around 6 years, Wheein arrived 3 years before Byulyi and Hyejin was there for around the same time as Wheein, arriving a couple of months after.

            Yongsun is their senior, and mostly the person the office trusted on presenting the work place to newbies. Byulyi knew by what she could see that the two younger girls were the closest friends Yongsun had there, until her own self.

            Wheein told her once that Yongsun seemed to have some issues on getting along with the others. When she arrived, Wheein was a shy person, too introspective and barely legal age. She just started her internship, all the money she made was to pay bills and more from her education complements. She found slightly hard to get along with the other people at the office, especially because of her age, too young.

            That was when Yongsun came. She saw the older woman on her first day at work, then the second time was around lunch. Wheein was getting ready to leave, when Yongsun appeared on her table, bringing drinks on her hand, while the other probably had her own food.

            “Hello, Wheein… going to have lunch?”, she asked the obvious.

            “Oh, hi, miss Kim! Yeah, I am.”, she smiled politely.

            “Don’t mind calling me ‘miss’. Would you mind if I come with you?”, she offered the other can she brought to herself, which Wheein accepted happily.

            That was weird, Wheein thought at first. She noticed a lot around, one of the things she figured out was that Yongsun used to eat early, which was the opposite of Wheein, who was one of the lasts to leave for lunch. She preferred to eat alone, not that she had any other person to share this hour along, but Wheein found the refectory almost empty by the time she left for eating, given to her anxiety, she just rather the way it was.

            But then, from that moment ahead, she found herself eating with Yongsun everyday, until Hyejin finally got accepted in the admission program, to work at the same place as Wheein. Mysteriously, Yongusn slowly stopped eating with them, to let them eat alone. Hyejin at first thought it was something against her, but she was fast to figure out it wasn’t.

            In between them, Hyejin worked on the same floor as Yongsun, indirectly becoming Yongsun’s assistant. Most of the tasks Hyejin had done until the present moment had Yongsun behind her back to guide, even after years and Hyejin being able to do her job perfectly alone.

            Around a year or so, Hyejin got to know a soft side from Yongsun, that she hadn’t the opportunity until that moment, given that both were always busy working and Yongsun also busy nagging Hyejin. It was a surprise to say the least when Yongsun out of the blue asked her out on a off day.

            The scenario was, Wheein would travel to see her mother on the day off, but Hyejin wouldn’t go anywhere. She could go to see her parents, but wasn’t found of the idea. She just lost her grandmother, somehow she didn’t healed enough to go back to the place she was born. Wheein got that, they were good.

            But Yongsun got to know that from Wheein, without Hyejin’s knowledge. When they were leaving work, Hyejin received an invitation to eat with Yongsun on the breakfast that next morning. They ended up by spending the afternoon together, and so they met on the following day for lunch, again spending hours along.

            Yongsun admitted to Hyejin she wasn’t found of drinking, she normally wouldn’t do it on bars with colleagues, but she was comfortable by doing that with Hyejin. It became somehow an habit, because whenever Yongsun was feeling stressed, or just in the mood for some drinks, she would call Hyejin, who would reply whenever. Most of the times, Wheein was around them, especially because Hyejin and her lived together to cut in half the expenses. She had never left home for drinks, as long as they knew. The first was along with Byulyi in that traumatizing night, to say the least. 

            Byulyi knew she would have the girls to help her, but right in that moment, she would have to work too. Since she stood a chance, the next step was allowed to begin: Testing the limits of they friendship.

            Now, Byulyi wanted to test waters. They both had different ways of dealing with physical touch. Yongsun was more open to it while they were both alone, but she wasn't the type of woman to want someone all over her. Byulyi was fine in just remaining on short hugs even now and then, also took a good moment to enjoy intimacy when they watched series and Yongsun was more than happy to be held. Except it it was hot, obviously.

            Now, Byulyi wanted to try go further. More to

Please log in to read the full chapter