Chapter 1.2: Chocolate Orbs

In Another Life

As soon as Hyukjae finished his lunch, he decided that it would be best if he could get more studying done. However, his favorite little cafe doesn’t sound so inviting to him at that moment. Pondering where he should go instead, Hyukjae then remembers that small reader’s cafe inside their campus library. Not many people usually visit this particular cafe due to the overpriced coffee, average ambiance, and no food being served aside from some overly sweet cookies. As weird as it may sound, the place seems great for Hyukjae at the moment.

Upon reaching the reader’s cafe, Hyukjae ordered himself just a bottle of water, not really craving for a cup of coffee. He knows the cashier was looking at him irritably which he chose to ignore, after all, he’s the one who’s gonna be drinking his order.

Hyukjae then grabbed his bottle of water and chose to sit at the table in the corner, by the glass overlooking what they call “the fountain of wisdom” – but really, it’s just a regular fountain with a statue above. He took out his book, notes, and the pens he will be using and neatly organizes them on the table.

Moving to this location was supposed to help Hyukjae with his concentration issues for the day but here he was, staring at the fountain, watching the water repeatedly shower in and out. Maybe having the fountain nearby isn’t such a great idea. Despite the distraction, Hyukjae was still able to get a bit of reading done. The fountain rests for 15 minutes before it goes off for another 15 minutes. And the black-haired young man took advantage of those 15 minutes of not needing to watch the fountain.

As if there was some kind of alarm in Hyukjae’s body, once the 15-minute rest was over, he coincidentally turned his head over to once again watch the fountain–even if there was actually really nothing to watch.

Perhaps, there wasn’t anything to see a second ago but it was different now. As soon as his gaze landed on the side of the fountain, his body stiffened and he suddenly felt warmth all over. His brain must be playing tricks with him but the water went off like fireworks, the same moment his heart skipped a beat and there was that feeling he couldn’t explain again. Like he wants to do something but he doesn’t know what. It was gnawing at his stomach, crawling underneath his skin. He couldn’t even tell if he wanted that feeling to stay or if he wanted it to go away.

Hyukjae didn’t know when a certain young man arrived at the scene but he was there. He was there, sitting by the fountain, looking sideways. His brunette locks were slightly blown by the wind and the afternoon sun illuminating his skin. What does he think he is? A model? Hyukjae’s initial fascination at seeing the young man was quickly replaced by annoyance.

Why does it seem like he is suddenly everywhere just after meeting him once?!

But no matter how annoyed Hyukjae was at that moment, he also couldn’t move his gaze away. He just physically can’t look away. And so he did not. Yes, he spent the next 15 minutes watching the brunette handsome young man.

In those 15 minutes, Hyukjae has seen at least ten people approach the brunette. Hmm, seems to be famous then. They either greeted a quick ‘hello’ or stayed to converse for a minute or two. Hyukjae knows he wasn’t supposed to stare at the man, heck he was supposed to be studying right now! But he really doesn’t even know what he was doing at this point.

To make matters worse, it was as if something nudged the young man that he turned his head in Hyukjae’s direction, catching his eyes at once. But unlike the other moments he indirectly shared with the brunette, Hyukjae felt different as he held the other’s gaze. It wasn’t overwhelming, it wasn’t heart-stopping, it was just…warm.

It was comforting. It was as if it was telling him not to worry and that he is safe–which is ridiculous because one, why wouldn’t he be safe in the first place? It was as if he finally found the missing pair of his favorite earrings after losing it years ago.

Hyukjae was trying to figure it out. He was trying to figure everything out. He felt weird, he felt very odd at the moment and it was driving him crazy.

The universe might have taken pity on him because the young man’s friend suddenly arrived and left with the man, effectively cutting off their odd staring. With a sigh, Hyukjae then crosses his arms on the table and drops his forehead on it. He really needed to rest his eyes for a while.

 

It was as if the universe was telling him something because after meeting Aiden once, it seems that he is suddenly everywhere.

Spencer did not even know that Aiden goes to the same school he does. But there he was, sitting with his friends on one of the long tables in their school cafeteria, and two tables away was Aiden. The beautiful brunette was also having his lunch with Lucas, facing Spencer’s direction, and wow, how convenient is that?

He watched as Aiden slowly looks up, meeting his gaze. He noticed Aiden’s eyes widen a bit in surprise but he did not miss the recognition that passed through those chocolate-brown orbs. Those captivating glossy orbs. Suddenly, Spencer could no longer hear the cafeteria noise. He could no longer see all the other people. There was only Aiden. The perfect, gorgeous, ethereal Aiden. He felt warmth slowly spread throughout his body in a good way. He absolutely loved it. He could spend all day basking in it.

Then Lucas, for the love of God, just had to nudge Aiden, effectively stealing the latter’s attention.

Spencer couldn’t remember much of what transpired that lunchtime. He can only remember catching Aiden stealing gazes at him multiple times. He remembers holding those eyes for a minute or two before it averts and takes another glance a few minutes later, making the butterflies in his stomach go wild.

Spencer loved it. He absolutely loved it. It was as if he was sharing some kind of secret with Aiden. Something only he and Aiden knows. He doesn’t know why but the thought was enough to put him in the best mood for the next hundred years of his life, except of course if something ruins his mood.

 

Lifting his head, he checks the time on his phone, and seeing that an hour and a half already passed without him doing anything, Hyukjae groaned softly. He didn’t even notice when he fell asleep, the only indication was the dream he just had (of course, the time as well). Another weird dream.

Hyukjae felt restless despite just waking up. It was as if all his energy was out of him in his nap. He was tired. Knowing he wouldn’t even accomplish anything that afternoon, he decided to just go home and get some more sleep to regain some energy.

He packed up his stuff and leaves the reader’s cafe, looking back a bit to make sure he did not leave anything behind.

It was already getting dark outside and as much as Hyukjae wanted to get home quicker, he had no energy to quicken his steps. Thank God he reached the bus stop sooner than he expected.

Hyukjae opted to stand as he waited at the bus stop despite being alone in the place. He leaned on the pole holding the hood above and zoned out. The month has barely started and too many things already happened. He started using public transport the day before instead of asking his driver to send him to school every day, he missed a class, he ran to class for almost missing it, he found out he didn’t have his spare uniform in his locker anymore, he had troubles focusing, he started having weird dreams, and he met that man.

That man. He didn’t know the young man’s name and he doesn’t need to find out anyways considering that they most probably won’t be meeting any time soon and they were not even close to being friends. Hyukjae got to admit though that there’s a part of him curious about the man and the logical part knows it doesn’t even matter. It’s not like he is gonna be part of Hyukjae’s lif—

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?!” a sudden shout startled Hyukjae, snapping him out of his thoughts. He looked back and realized he wasn’t alone in the shed anymore. There were two males with him.

One of them has slightly wavy light brown hair, wearing his school uniform–obviously, the guy just finished his most probably last class, while the other, who was right behind Hyukjae, was sporting an all-black outfit–black hoodie, black pants, and black cap which was hiding his face.

The light brown-haired man was gripping onto the other man’s raised arm which was holding something which looks like…his wallet?! Hyukjae can’t be mistaken. That was his wallet that the man was holding! It was pink with a badly painted bunny drawing on the front (courtesy of his best friend).

Hyukjae’s eyes widened in shock, his body froze as he started to piece things together. Did he almost just get pickpocketed?!!

Everything suddenly happened so fast for Hyukjae’s tired mind. The pickpocketer attempted to punch the light brown-haired man but the latter managed to avoid the attack, still gripping the other man’s arm tight. The college student then snatched the wallet from the other’s hand as the pickpocketer struggled to free himself from the tight grip, then, with (which probably) all his might, the pickpocketer pushed the young man off him and ran off, giving up the wallet he attempted to steal a few moments ago.

“Hey, uhm, this belongs to you,” the light brown-haired man approached the still-dazed and shocked Hyukjae. He handed over the pink wallet which Hyukjae absentmindedly accepted. Thankfully, his brain managed to function once again, and looking at his helper–savior seems to be too much for an adjective and way too dramatic and cheesy for Hyukjae’s liking–he was again enveloped with surprise. It was that man! The man in his dreams!

Okay, maybe that did not sound right but it was that man anyways. He’s really everywhere now, isn’t he?

“I know there are a lot of nice people out there but still, you should be careful. Some are not as…nice,” the man chuckled. And wow, he speaks. The man apparently speaks. Okay, that was dumb. Of course, he speaks, but it was just–anyways! The man really has a nice voice. Hyukjae’s brain can’t help but take note of that one tiny detail.

Hyukjae knows he probably looks stupid right now. He was just staring dumbfoundedly at the man, pink wallet tightly gripped by both hands. He can see the brunette’s lips moving so he was probably saying something but Hyukjae’s brain already tuned it out. Speak, Hyukjae, speak! You look like an idiot! And you hate looking like an idiot.

After what felt like an eternity, finally, Hyukjae’s body decided to coordinate but as Hyukjae opened his mouth to thank the kind gentleman, he realized that the man was already walking away from him. Seems like his friend called him back. Hyukjae then could do nothing but stand there and watch the other man’s retreating back as he whispered,

“Thank you.”

 

-------------------------------------------

Finally, the last installment of the first chapter is posted! Thank you very much for the subscribes (insert heart emojis here)! It was totally unexpected!!!! I am flattered that you guys want to read this story (insert the puppy eyes emoji). Let me know your thoughts via comment or private message, whichever you like!! it could be about the story or it could be something random :) I will reply if I can :)

Thank you again and see you in chapter 2!

(ps. if you have any scenes you would like to see, please feel free to suggest! I may or may not fit them somewhere in the story!)