Chapter 1

Close to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was almost 1PM and Ryeowook was still in line at a packed coffee shop, stressed and starving. He hadn’t eaten anything, not even breakfast, because his alarm didn’t wake him up and as soon as he stepped inside the office, he was already bombarded with errands and tasks.

“I don’t like coffee. Bring me tea.” Ryeowook’s face soured when his new boss’ words echoed in his head. Wanting to gain his boss’ favour (and because he wanted to keep his job), he had to run back to this cursed coffee shop after editing and sending out the documents needed for his boss’ sudden 1:30 meeting.

Who on earth doesn’t like coffee? He thought. The chairman loves coffee. Who would’ve thought his grandson and newly appointed CEO, is the polar opposite of his former boss? The chairman is kind, appreciative, and respectful—did Ryeowook already mention kind?—for someone who was as powerful and rich as him. He was different compared to the other board members and executives who were arrogant and full of themselves. More than half of them aren’t even good at their jobs. Most of them are just products of nepotism. 

He was already used to working for the chairman. Hell, he loved that old man. But now he had to go back to zero, adjusting to his new hard-to-work-with-be-thankful-he’s-hot-or-he’ll-be-outta-here boss. If only the chairman hadn’t personally appointed Ryeowook as the new CEO’s secretary, he wouldn’t agree. And he really couldn’t say no because, as the words of his old boss, Ryeowook is the only person he trusts to assist and support his grandson. Thinking about it, did he just get demoted? He was the chairman’s secretary. Now, he’s down to the CEO’s.

Wow. He definitely got demoted.

He was already living the dream of any employee, he had a good salary and a good boss. Now, he’d been transferred to this mean, inconsiderate CEO, Cho Kyuhyun, who’s only good personality trait is his looks. And that’s not even a personality trait.

Well, actually, Kyuhyun is good at his job. He’s great, Ryeowook will give him that. The way he talks and carries himself is captivating and gives off absolute authority. But based on his experience, it’s better to have him around when he’s not opening his mouth. Sure, Kyuhyun is an eye candy, but he’s mean. MEAN. He keeps on giving Ryeowook work that he’s sure is not part of his job. Why does he think that there are other people working under him? Ryeowook is his secretary, not the whole company! He shouldn’t make Ryeowook fix other people’s work! He doesn’t even address Ryeowook with any respect even if he’s older. 

However, in this field filled with know-it-all rich people, the ones who are respected are only those in power, so Ryeowook kind of understands. But still, it wouldn’t hurt to at least call him hyung. Or to say thank you. Or be KIND.

It hasn’t even been two weeks since he started working for the man but he already feels like he’s worked for decades due to the stress he’s feeling right now.

Ryeowook sighed with relief when he was finally next in line. He ordered tea for his boss and coffee for himself. He definitely needs a lot of caffeine right now. He didn’t bother buying snacks either. He knows he wouldn’t have time to even sneak a bite on a sandwich, not with the back to back meetings today.

“Alright,” Ryeowook huffed. “Back to the spoiled brat.”

When he returned to the office, Kyuhyun just got off the phone.

“Your tea, sir.” He said, placing the hot beverage on his table. He only got a hum as an acknowledgement.

“Heechul took the first coffee you bought.” Kyuhyun said without looking at him.

“Okay…” Ryeowook bowed. Wow, even their COO, Heechul, who’s way older than Kyuhyun, gets no respect from this brat’s mouth. “I’ll be returning to my desk. Please call if you need anything.”

Or don’t, Ryeowook continued in his head. I’ve had enough of you and your stupid tea.

Ryeowook melted down to his seat as soon as he sat on it. He may be getting paid generously but with the work he’s doing lately, he definitely deserves more.

Sure, Kyuhyun is new to the company and there are lots of things to work on, the work transitions, the new things he wants to do, the rebuilding of rapport with their clients and investors, but still! Can he slow down? Ryeowook is overworked and tired over here. And starving!

He looked at the clock and it was already 1:15. He only had 15 minutes left to double check everything for their meeting and prepare the other documents needed for the later ones. Ryeowook was just so done. He can’t wait to go home, order his favourite food, and finally go to bed.

“You look miserable.” He heard Heechul’s voice approaching his desk.

“I am miserable,” Ryeowook let himself slump further into his seat.

Heechul is one of the few higher ups who are actually nice. Sometimes, Ryeowook forgets that Heechul is in a different tax bracket than him because the man acts like a playful older brother, not someone who can probably buy his house—and everything he owns—in a heartbeat. He's a laid back type of guy who’s still fantastic at his job.

“Kyuhyun stressing you out?” The COO asked as he sat on the corner of his desk, taking a sip from the coffee Ryeowook originally bought for Kyuhyun.

Ryeowook groaned, earning a pitiful laugh from the older. “I just can’t catch a break with him!”

“Oh, I’m sure,” Heechul took another sip. “Even I get stressed out by just watching the two of you work.”

“Then tell him to chill out a bit!”

“You really think that brat will listen to me?” Heechul laughed again. Ryeowook was a bit taken aback when he also called their boss a brat. But Kyuhyun is a brat so he didn’t comment on it. “He’s more stubborn than the old man.”

“At least the chairman is nice.” Ryeowook pouted as he continued working. “Sir Cho doesn’t even respect my working hours. He still messages me when I’m at home! Even on weekends!”

“Sorry about that,” Heechul sighed, apologising on Kyuhyun’s behalf . “I know he’s being a pain right now—and you’re right, he should respect your working hours—but he has a reason for working nonstop lately.” He gave Ryeowook a reassuring pat on the back. “Your hectic days will be over before you know it.”

When Kyuhyun just started, Heechul mentioned that they were friends from way back. It was no surprise to Ryeowook that he would defend their CEO. Regardless of whatever reason he has however, it’s no excuse to be a douchebag to Ryeowook. Not when he treats everyone else like a work machine that’s available 24/7.

“Not everyone is willing to work as hard as him.” Ryeowook’s frowned. “Besides, it’s not that hard to treat the people around him with respect. Just because he’s hot, that doesn’t mean he can be a to everyone.”

“So, you think he’s hot?” Heechul with a smirk. “Don’t tell me you’re secretly a masochist enjoying it?”

“Eww,” Ryeowook grimaced. “I admit he’s good looking but that’s it.”

Heechul nudged his shoulder with a playful smile all over his face. “This is how every tv drama starts, Ryeowookie~” He teased further. “A hot CEO and his capable secretary conquering the industry! And then!” He comically paused. “They fall in love~”

“Shut up.” Ryeowook dismissed him with a smile, rolling his eyes. “I just think Sir Cho is hot, okay? But I don’t like him very much.” He continued as Heechul stood up from his desk, smile fading away. “He’s got bad attitude problems.”

“Wookie,” Heechul hurriedly tapped his shoulder while looking behind Ryeowook, at the same time hearing the door near him close.

Ryeowook quickly turned around to look at the CEO’s door near his desk. His eyes widened to see his boss standing right there, looking at them with an unreadable face.

“Sir…” He stood up after seeing Kyuhyun. , did he hear that? He heard that. Surely he did. Ryeowook gulped, lips losing colour. He’s going to get fired, isn’t he?

“Mr. Kang arrived earlier than expected. I’ll be greeting him and we’ll head to the meeting room first.” Kyuhyun plainly said, not acknowledging what he just walked on to. “Be sure to bring the files I asked for.”

“Yes, sir…” Ryeowook watched as Kyuhyun walked towards the elevator. It was like his mind was empty with pure shock on what just happened. Was there any chance that Kyuhyun didn’t hear when he said his boss has bad attitude problems? When he said he didn’t like him?

Ryeowook paled. He’s certainly getting fired.

A fake cough from Heechul dragged him out of his thoughts. “Well… That was awkward.”

Ryeowook’s knees gave up and he flopped back on his chair. “Goodbye, hyung. I’ll be jobless soon.”

“You won’t, don’t worry,” The COO reassured him again and gave him a firm pat on the back. “I’ll tell him you’re nice and didn’t mean it that way,” He continued with a small smile. “Besides, this is nothing for him,” His smile faded at the last sentence. “I’ll see you in the meeting room.”

Ryeowook could only nod as Heechul walked away.

How on earth is he going to face Kyuhyun now? No doubt he’ll be even meaner to him after this.

Ryeowook massaged his temples before picking up a few folders to bring for their meeting. There was no time to deal with this when he still had to prepare the meeting room before Kyuhyun and Mr. Kang came back up. He’ll just have to make it through this meeting, then he’ll apologise to Kyuhyun afterwards.



 



 

The meeting went smoothly. And to Ryeowook’s surprise, Kyuhyun doesn’t mention anything about what he witnessed earlier. Everything was also the same the rest of the day. Kyuhyun didn’t get any meaner either. 

The entire day was so busy that he didn’t get the chance to talk to his boss alone. Even though what Ryeowook said was technically true, Kyuhyun is that strict type of boss with a bad attitude, what happened was still bad. And his conscience won’t let him rest if he doesn’t apologise soon.

But heavy conscience be damned. He has a lot of work to finish before the weekend starts. Otherwise, Kyuhyun will bother him while he sleeps the weekend away. He’d rather not have the man contact him then. So, here he was, typing his fingers away, finishing the reports for all the meetings they had today.

He was all alone with dim lights remaining on the office floor. It was 8 PM already, way past their working hours, but Ryeowook didn’t notice. He was too busy, his eyes glued to his computer screen as he focused on the final details. He only looked away when he got startled at the sound of the door opening.

“You’re still here?” Kyuhyun asked, a bit surprised to see Ryeowook so late on a Friday night. “You look horrible.”

“Just finishing up, sir.” RUDE! He could’ve just kept that comment to himself! Ryeowook thought. But now that Ryeowook’s mind was off of work, he noticed that he was shivering a bit. Was the aircon too strong?

He looked around the office, noticing that most of the electronics were already turned off. But there were a couple of windows open. 

Great, Ryeowook sarcastically thought. It’s snowing outside.

No wonder he was shivering.

Then, he saw a glimpse of his reflection on the window. His hair was a mess and he was pale, most probably because of the cold wind coming in. Damn, Kyuhyun was right. He does look horrible.

“Pack up.” Kyuhyun spoke again. “Whatever you’re working on can wait on Monday.”

Ryeowook secretly made a face. That’s what he said last week! But he still asked Ryeowook about it that Saturday night. Ryeowook ended up working on it instead of catching up to his favourite shows just to be able to send it back to Kyuhyun.

“Alright, of course, sir.” He bowed his head as the CEO walked away. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter