Two: Roundabout

Chances

Another 4 years had passed, so many things changed, the places, trends, beliefs... people. 

When Yuna left, Ryujin kept her promise and tried to move on with her life. Key word? Tried. After Uni, she finally got herself hired to one of the most prestigious companies specializing in industrial arts. Despite the bitter turn of events when it comes to her love life, she had it good for the first 2 years as an industrial designer. She was starting to create a name for herself as a new comer but a genius in her field. Everybody wanted to see the charming but mysterious architect. 

She had projects left and right. She was sure of her path for once in her life. She really did. She was more than motivated to straighten up her life. Until that one fateful phone call that changed her life... for the worse.

 

"Hello? Dad? Where are you, you've been gone for 3 days, I almost had to bring Yujin with me to work. Luckily Mrs.Choi our neighbor agreed to look after her while I'm---"

"Ryujinnie, listen to me," her dad whispered on the phone. It sent chills down her spine. "I'm sorry, I---I ed up big time. They've got me. I ran away because I didn't want to risk you and your sister's safety but they've got me." She heard him sniffle. 

"Dad, what---" She then heard some shuffling, next thing she knew, her dad sounded like he was running. "Ryujin, take care of your sister while I'm gone. I will come back to you I promise you that." She heard screaming on his end, then some gun shots. 

"I've got to g-go, Ryujin."

"Dad, please--!" 

"Don't let them find you."

Static line, end of call.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​​Those were the words that she had heard from her dad the last time they talked and that was 4 years ago. Since then, she had followed his advise and stayed low key. She packed her and her sister's things and had gone to their less known vacation house  with their loyal helper in case of emergency however, her dad's pursuers did find them immediately. They were loan sharks that her dad had debts to when he was caught gambling in casinos. It got to the point where he had loss all their property, the houses, land, cars and when those weren't enough, they set up a manhunt for the latter. And when they couldn't find him, they turned their sights to his daughters and it most definitely paid the price. 

Ryujin was done for work one night when suddenly upon reaching her car, she got cornered by the loan sharks' goons. They threatened her and thrashed her car. They even took her wallet and phone. They were harassing her to know her dad's whereabouts but she made her point clear by stating that she had no clue as well. 

​​​​​After that encounter and with the help of some of her co-workers, she was able to go home to her sister. She had no choice but to let the loyal helper go for their own safety and they went their own separate ways. The next thing she did was to formally resign from the company that she was working for, she couldn't risk it, it was just too dangerous so even with a heavy heart, she left them, luckily despite the situation, they still have her her due salary and then some so she was able to find a humble apartment for her and her sister and she was more than thankful for that. 

It was a major adjustment for the two. They were born with a silver platter but things were different now. "Unnie, when will Dad comeback? Is he gone like mommy?" Her 9 year old sister asked her one time. She dreaded this, having to explain to her baby sister what had happened without tarnishing their father's image even when it was his gambling and drunk habits that had lead them to this more than unfortunate feat. But still, he was their father and was a good one when he was sober. Now, the head of the family wasn't always like that. He was once a fortifying man, the most responsibile leader and president of a booming company but the untimely death of his wife, the girls' mother, due to an illness took a toll on his emotional and mental health. It seemed to her, that the Shins were tragic when it comes to love. 

"Dad's just on an important adventure, Yujin."

"Wooooah, really? But, but, why didn't he let us join? I want to be on an adventure, too!" Inspite of everything that's happened, her baby sister's positivity and general gusto in life keeps her afloat. It's when she knew that she'll do whatever it takes to keep her safe. To keep her from all the darkness the world has to offer. 

"Aish, Dad said babies are not allowed on the adventure yet, and he instructed me to guard you until he comes back with all the treasures."

"But unnie I'm not a baby anymore, I'm 9!" Her sister cutely said while holding up 10 fingers. 

"Yah! You will be on the adventure if you study your Math!" She jokingly said while tickling the mischievous Yujin. Upon bedtime, the young kid was ready to be tucked in. 

"Ryujin Unnie~, tell me about the adventures of  Princess Yuna again. I want to hear her story I miss her! Maybe she'll see dad, too!"

I miss her, too. 

The name still breaks her heart a bit even when it was far too long ago. It was a while when she had let her thoughts drift to the once (still?) love of her life. I hope she's in a better situation than I am, Lord, please. 

"I told her story quite a few times already, I thought you're a big girl, now? She teased. 

Her sister then made a full on puppy face, one that she could not and had never been able to resist. 

"Oh gosh, not the puppy face. Alright, alright, settle in. I'll tell you about the adventures of the great Princess Yuna."

"Yay!"

"Once upon a time there was a bubbly princess with the name of Yuna..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuna's POV:

"Yuna-ya. Baby. Wake up."

That voice. I want to hear that voice forever. I smile with just the sound of it. 

"Baby, our flight to Korea is today. Come on, I thought you're excited to go back home?"

Oh . Korea. Back. Right. That was today. 

I open my eyes and see the most stunning face of an angel. My own angel. 

"Finally, good morning, my love." A kiss on my lips. I struggle to hide the growing blush on my face. I can seriously get used to this. 

"Give me 5 minutes more?" I tried my best puppy face. 

"No, you said that 5 minutes ago hehehe." That laugh sounds even melodic. How could I have been so lucky?

"You're seriously going to resist my best puppy face?" I said while trying to be cute, well, I AM cute. 

I could see the struggle. Welp. I still have it, I guess. Victory!

"I'm having a difficult time resisting it, but we're about to be late." Oh. You won't be able to resist next time.

"I love you, Shin Yuna." My heart. Best wake up ever!

"I love you, too, my prince, Kai."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Til next chapter! 

 

​​​​

 

 

 

​​​​​

​​​​