One: Full Circle

Chances

Flashback:

"So you're choosing her... Is that really what you want? You won't change your mind?"

Please tell me I'm wrong, Ryujin. Please tell me you're just saying that to spite me. 

"... I'm sorry, Yuna. I thought I was over her, but the more that I fight it, the more that I realize I'm still longing for her. I tried to fight it, I really did. I am so sorry, I didn't plan for all of this to happen."

No. Please tell me I'm dreaming. Tell me this is just a nightmare. Wake me up, hold me and tell me everything's going to be okay. 

"Yuna, say something, please. Anything. Hurt me, slap me. I'll accept anything that you'll say or do because I deserve it for hurting you."

Yuna, despite the heartbreak, felt numb. For the life of her she couldn't cry. At least not now. Not yet. She let a bitter smile grace her face, her voice shaking, "How can I ever hurt you like the way you hurt me? I love you too much. So much that I didn't believe what our friends told me when they caught you cheating on me with her. So much that I still let you kiss me even when I knew who you kissed before me, just so I can reassure myself that you are still mine.

Tell me Ryujin-ah, was it worth my pain? Is she worth all the pain that you caused me?"

"I--", Ryujin had no words. She hurt Yuna. They had a promise that she wouldn't let anyone hurt the latter. That she would bend heaven and hell for her, but in the end, she herself was the cause of Yuna's heartbreak. Never in her life had she been more disappointed of herself. "I'll only hurt you more if I stayed. You deserve someone better. Someone that would give you the world and more. Someone that would love you and only you." 

​​​​​"That was you, damn it!" Yuna screamed. Finally letting her tears fall down, her nimble fists pounding on Ryujin's chest. "You were supposed to be all that for me... why Ryujin, why? I love you so damn hard. I was sure to build my future around you. You were supposed to be my endgame, why would you do this? Why would you choose someone who hurt you before?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 years later...

"Why would I choose to be back with someone who broke my heart for the girl who broke hers in the first place?"  Yuna asked her ex lover who has chased her all the way to the airport. She was set to go abroad to finish her studies in Paris and hopefully settle there in her dream country. After their break up, she focused all her energy and effort to achieving her academic goals and even though it was hard, she had learned to overcome it. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, she couldn't even function normally the first 6 months of being newly single and separated from the former love of her life but with the help of her friends (Ryujin's friends included, they did not tolerate cheating) and family, she was finally able to let go. 

The last she heard of her ex was that she was went to the same Uni as Yeji (somehow the name still leaves a bitter taste in ) but they had a falling out again because... Well, it seemed that her (Yuna) separation with Ryujin made the latter realize that she was wrong to choose Yeji. 

It is why she found herself standing across from her ex lover, suitcase at hand, amidst the busy ongoings of the very occupied airport.  

"If this happened 6 months ago, I would have jumped into your arms the second that I see you from the crowd," Yuna said. Her eyes scanning the shorter girl who had just caught up with her, the latter, still catching her breath. It was an endearing sight for Yuna. After 2 years, she was still affected by the girl before her but her heart was no longer beating in doubles. It's why she believed she had truly let her go.

Ryujin didn't lose the spark of life in her eyes despite Yuna's remarks. "My arms will still welcome you and catch you, Yuna. You can trust fall into me and I promise I will never let you go anymore. Please, please stay. I was wrong to leave you, I know I let time pass for too long and I'm not proud of it but I just want you to know that I still love you. I'm so messed up in my feelings but I finally know it now. I couldn't stay with Yeji after our break up. It was eating me alive and I broke up with her."

"You broke up with her?"

"Yes," Ryujin answered, hope filling her heart. Maybe, just maybe, her love story with Yuna wasn't meant to end yet, nor ever. 

"When?"

"Just after a few months of us breaking up," Ryujin said. Looking down as she couldn't maintain Yuna's stare. She knew she ed up again.

"You're telling me you broke up with her a few months after and you didn't care to tell me anyways?" Yuna couldn't help but let out a bitter laugh. "You didn't even think of coming back to me then? Ryujin, not that it matters now, but just so you know, I waited for you for 6 months no matter how stupid that sounds." 

"I didn't want to come back unless I was sure of what I felt anymore. I didn't want to decide--"

Yuna cut her off. "So you've just decided 2 years after?" 

"I wanted to be the best version of myself before coming back to you. I thought it is what you deserved, not someone that didn't know what they want in the future, that was one of our issues, right? But I found what I loved to do and I'm now more than ready to start over again with you... I just," Ryujin took a leap of faith and held on to Yuna's hands. If Yuna felt something back, she didn't comment nor she was obvious about it. 

"I just need another chance if you'll have me back." 

Yuna looked into Ryujin's eyes, the ones that she used to stare at thoughtlessly, satisfyingly when her heart was in its full loving capacity. There was no doubt Ryujin was sincere. She knew Ryujin really loved, a d loves her still and this time, she's sure that she's the only one. She felt it.

But...

​​​​​It was her (Yuna), that wasn't sure this time. She had the world to explore, Paris to love and, this time, nothing or no one could steer her away from that direction in her life. Sadly and regretfully, not even Ryujin. If only she was not too late. But maybe this is how it should end.

Before she could even say anything, Ryujin seemed to have read her thoughts already. "I'm really too late, aren't I?" , she said, her expression, understanding but on the verge of tears. "I can't change your mind?"

Yuna shook her head, sadly. Letting her hands free of Ryujin's. "Not even if I kiss you?" Ryujin said jokingly, fighting the unshed tears, willing them to stay unshed at least until Yuna's out of sight.

Yuna sincerely laughed despite the situation, her heart feeling the familiar sense of endearment for Ryujin. How could she joke like this when she's about to break?  "If you kiss me, I'll slap your face, Shin Ryujin."

"Ouch. Okay, Shin Yuna." There it is, she missed that, their playful banter. Unfortunately, it may as well be their last. "So... Paris, huh?" 

"Yes, don't even think about following me there," Yuna said half jokingly. 

"I won't promise."

"Shin Ryujiiiiiiin."

"Yuna-yaaaaa." 

Suddenly she hears her flight being announced through the speakers. She didn't know who came onto who first but in a second she was already in Ryujin's arms, feeling the warmth that she missed on those 2 years that she was deprived of it. She felt oddly like home and safe and secured and loved and... It became suffocating because she knew it wasn't supposed to feel like that anymore. 

Time to let go. 

"Goodbye, Ryujinnie." A kiss on the cheek. 

...and then she was gone.

​​​M​y friends keep tellin' me

That if you really love her
You've gotta set her free
And if she returns in kind
I'll know she's mine
So tell me where do I start
'Cause it's breakin' my heart
Don't want to let her go

Maybe my love will come back some day
Only heaven knows
And maybe our hearts will find a way
Only heaven knows
And all I can do is hope and pray
'Cause heaven knows

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

💔 Next chapter will be in present time. I was inspired by an au on twitter, it hurt so good and this was the result of it. If anyone reads this, please let me know what you think. 😅

​​​​​

 

 

 

 

​​​​​​

​​​​​